Bf1 pocket loss problems

Kaniel__996
8 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Hello friends.
I'd like to share something with you and ask for your help.
It's been for about 10 days that I'm having these problems with battlefield servers
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AreYMgGFuzV8hnQlUOLdaMDLlPgb
Every time the round is finished i see these errors and my gameplay is not being so smoothy as before and there are lags
I wanted to know if this has anything to do with my connection (which btw is 100mb/s and to notice that around 10 days ago I had to restart my modem, maybe this action created all this fuss) or is this anything has to with my console or TV? On the screenshots, ricezione means receive, my game is in italian. Thank you very much
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AreYMgGFuzV8hnMb2ftWodlvyDLI
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AreYMgGFuzV8hnLl4uU9FYr_-dku

Comments

• Carbonic
    1930 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    edited July 8
    First thing I would try is pretty simple. Find your router, turn it off, remove the power cable, wait 5 minutes, plug in the power cable and turn it back on. Now do the same to your console.
  • Kaniel__996
    I already tried that "power cycle" on my router. I tried it now on ps4 on your advice but nothing changed. It's same as before. I also tried calling my Internet provider, they said that they fixed something, but nothing is changed. I suppose it's the game that is bad then, it's just surprising how it started with this problem when I first restarted my router.
  • disposalist
    8956 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It's not the game.

There are soooo many things that can go wrong for the internet service. Your ISP may have 'fixed something' but that isn't the only check oir fix they can do.

It took me many months to push and shove and collect info and persuade and threaten my ISP and eventually they admitted they needed to perform a costly upgrade at the exchange to fix the issue and it took months more of pushing to get it done.

And *still* I get occasional outages and performance issues.

If you've had consitent performance for any length of time, you are lucky.  It's a very complex system prone to problems.  I know it's painful, but you may have to chase your ISP further.
  • Ronin9572
    1304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Have you tried to change your DNS setting thru your connection? I had this problem before and it took me a little while to find the right one but it definitely helped me tons. Sometimes when you reset your router it will reset your DNS settings. I'm sure if you look it up online or YT there will be info you need. Good luck!
  • OskooI_007
    1305 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Unless you have a router which shows the IP addresses your console is connecting to, you'll never be able to run a traceroute and figure out where the packet loss is occuring.
  • Tunza42
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Ronin9572 said:
    Have you tried to change your DNS setting thru your connection? I had this problem before and it took me a little while to find the right one but it definitely helped me tons. Sometimes when you reset your router it will reset your DNS settings. I'm sure if you look it up online or YT there will be info you need. Good luck!
    It is a very common myth that changing your DNS server setting will improve your connection for online games.  This is false.  All the DNS server does is convert a web address into an IP address (which the computer understands and looks up on the internet).  This is done ONCE, the DNS information is then stored in a local cache allowing it to be looked up much faster if needed again.  This info is only deleted if you stop using the web address in question (and only if the cache is full and space is needed to store new info).

Changing DNS might give a marginal performance difference if you frequently look up new webstites on a daily basis (most people don't). Even so it is very marginal you probably won't notice.  If you do change it, be careful as some DNS servers are set up by scammers to deliberately re-direct you to the wrong website in order to steal your personal info.

@Kaniel__996 Things you CAN change on your end to improve performance are QOS packet prioritization (router side, look this up on google. Especially useful if many people are using your connection at the same time) and 'buffer bloat' (look this up on google).  Also go for an ethernet connection instead of wifi.  Wifi can be unstable.

• Kaniel__996
    Tunza42 wrote: »
    (Quote)

It is a very common myth that changing your DNS server setting will improve your connection for online games.  This is false.  All the DNS server does is convert a web address into an IP address (which the computer understands and looks up on the internet).  This is done ONCE, the DNS information is then stored in a local cache allowing it to be looked up much faster if needed again.  This info is only deleted if you stop using the web address in question (and only if the cache is full and space is needed to store new info).
    Changing DNS might give a marginal performance difference if you frequently look up new webstites on a daily basis (most people don't). Even so it is very marginal you probably won't notice.  If you do change it, be careful as some DNS servers are set up by scammers to deliberately re-direct you to the wrong website in order to steal your personal info.
    @Kaniel__996 Things you CAN change on your end to improve performance are QOS packet prioritization (router side, look this up on google. Especially useful if many people are using your connection at the same time) and 'buffer bloat' (look this up on google).  Also go for an ethernet connection instead of wifi.  Wifi can be unstable.

Thank you for your advice. I already use wired connection and when I play online, I turn off wifi on my cell phone, so that couldn't be the problem here. I will look up on the Internet the things you wrote and advice you if I manage to solve it
    Cheers!
  • Ronin9572
    (Quote)

It's true about the buffer bloat. I can't play BF1 when my whole household is awake and on multiple devices. And you have to be careful of using DNS servers. But by changing mine from the default Google DNS to CloudFlare there was more than a marginal improvement. I went from having yellow, orange and red warning indicators to barely getting any at all. Someone told me that changing your DNS was a myth awhile ago and I believed it. But when I finally broke down and tried it 1st on PC and than on my PS4 I was a believer than.
  • Tunza42
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    @Ronin9572 Are you sure you didn't change any other setting router side at the same time? Also, did you update the DNS in the router or on your PC/PS4?  What indicators did you no longer get after changing? I don't think DNS effects packet loss.

I changed to CloudFlare myself from the default ISP DNS.  I ran a DNS speed check app (I don't know if I am allowed to post the link) and my ISP DNS was actually marginally better than CloudFlare.  Maybe it is due to me been in Australia I am unsure.  I didn't notice any difference in ping or packet loss in game.  Whenever someone in the house is streaming Netflix etc is when I notice packet loss and latency variation (QOS helps but doesn't completely eliminate the issue). 
    /
    A server full of high pingers is usually the thing that gives me the worst experience to be honest. unfortunately its something you can't really control :S
    /
    It's a lot to ask, but I would be interested in knowing the difference % wise between the 2 DNS if you ever get time and are willing to change it back to check? I understand if you don't, it can get time consuming
    /
    Thanks!

• Ronin9572
    @Ronin9572 Are you sure you didn't change any other setting router side at the same time? Also, did you update the DNS in the router or on your PC/PS4?  What indicators did you no longer get after changing? I don't think DNS effects packet loss.

I changed to CloudFlare myself from the default ISP DNS.  I ran a DNS speed check app (I don't know if I am allowed to post the link) and my ISP DNS was actually marginally better than CloudFlare.  Maybe it is due to me been in Australia I am unsure.  I didn't notice any difference in ping or packet loss in game.  Whenever someone in the house is streaming Netflix etc is when I notice packet loss and latency variation (QOS helps but doesn't completely eliminate the issue). 
    /A server full of high pingers is usually the thing that gives me the worst experience to be honest. unfortunately its something you can't really control :S/It's a lot to ask, but I would be interested in knowing the difference % wise between the 2 DNS if you ever get time and are willing to change it back to check? I understand if you don't, it can get time consuming/Thanks!

I'm not a big tech guy so I couldn't give much on specifics. I know I tried to adjust my router side settings and made everything worse and had to go back to factory settings. I've spent hours with Spectrum techs trying to figure out my Internet issues only to have them basically tell me their company sucks and you just have to live with it! I ended up trying the DNS change after reading about it and watching several videos. I literally tried 18 different numbers and used a site to monitor each to see what the difference was. This was done on my PC 1st than on my PS4 after. Some had faster download and some had faster upload. I went with CloudFlare because it had the most consistent readings when I tested thru the PC. Once I tried it on my PS4 that's when I noticed less ping fluctuations, and packet loss. I don't have alot of options as far as internet here. We tried satellite years ago and that was an expensive nightmare. DSL worked ok but when you have smart tv's, multiple smart phones, iPad's, PC's, and consoles plus Roku sticks it just can't keep up. The biggest problem we have is Time Warner was bought out here by Spectrum and they won't let us upgrade! We still have 30MB DL/3MB UL speed when we should have 100MB DL/10 MB UL speed.
  • wsupchris1222444
    956 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My packet loss comes and goes. Sometimes I get disconnected from ea servers and have a hard time connecting to them. In game it will feel like I'm a half second behind everyone.

My end is fine, I'm wired directly to the modem getting around 60 down and 6 - 10 up or more, DNS settings set to 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary (which works best for me in the Pacific Northwest), nobody else is taking up a major part of bandwidth either.
  • disposalist
    8956 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Packet loss (and latency and latency variation) are rarely to do with bandwidth, unless the whole bandwidth is somehow being used.

In my experience they are usually about the other things happening locally (downloads, Netflix, etc) and the contention at my local exchange (being on a DSL service).
  • Kaniel__996
    Thank you all guys for your advices and suggestions. I tried calling my Internet provider and explained, I am always told that there are no problems on their side, it's really getting frustrating speaking with "supposed experts" though.
    Today, after a numerous calls I told them to factory reset my router and to check my dns settings, let's see if that helps. Sadly I cannot change or try anything by myself because the router is not mine, it's of the Internet provider, so they are the only one who can change settings.
    I will notify you if this works.
  • Kaniel__996
    Thank you all guys for your advices and suggestions. I tried calling my Internet provider and explained, I am always told that there are no problems on their side, it's really getting frustrating speaking with "supposed experts" though.
    Today, after a numerous calls I told them to factory reset my router and to check my dns settings, let's see if that helps. Sadly I cannot change or try anything by myself because the router is not mine, it's of the Internet provider, so they are the only one who can change settings.
  • Kaniel__996
  • Ronin9572

I hear you on the ISP just being downright frustrating to deal with. I'll be on the phone with them and their telling me my internet had no problems all the while I'm having problems! I've gotten a good LAN cable, switched from one form of internet to another all for little improvement. Satellite throttles your usage after a certain amount, DSL couldn't handle my household and cable internet I have only one choice. And they don't even give me the speeds they advertise! The only thing that's helped me was changing my DNS server, but I won't say it's perfect.
  • disposalist
    It's a very complex service to provide, but it's constantly frustrating, yup. Lately I have been getting a good basic service, but regular disconnects, like at least one per day, randomly.

Contacting them you get the whole "we need to send an engineer". No. They don't. I've had maybe 8 engineers out over the last couple of years and EVERY time they give me the all clear (in fact my home situation is exemplary, in the words of one engineer). But, no, they have to do the whole stupid time-wasting procedure that blames me first, then starts the very slow business of checking the line and other equally pointless checks since it's an intermittent problem, blah blah blah.

I get it. There are thousands of support calls and I bet a LOT of them are user error or user problems, but CHECK YOUR RECORDS idiots. I'm not them.

I can't be bothered any more. I have told them this time "I'm not going through this again. You check your stuff first this time. It's your problem, not mine" and we'll see what happens...

Good luck to you!
  • Kaniel__996
    edited August 3
    Hey guys, just wanted to check in. Packet loss error is gone almost completely, but sometimes I get some lags in the game (like suddenly the crosshair goes to left and it is lagging, it's not 100% smooth and it's not like you can't move properly, but it causes some difficulties in aiming for example). I don't know what's causing this, my latency is always 23-25, maybe because servers are full of players with high latency. Btw I am glad one problem is solved. To mention that "extraset" parameter is always pr too high or too low, so if yoy know sometgong about this , share it. Good day gentlemen!
    Post edited by Kaniel__996 on
  • Ronin9572
    Hey guys, just wanted to check in. Packet loss error is gone almost completely, but sometimes I get some lags in the game (like suddenly the crosshair goes to left and it is lagging, it's not 100% smooth and it's not like you can't move properly, but it causes some difficulties in aiming for example). I don't know what's causing this, my latency is always 23-25, maybe because servers are full of players with high latency. Btw I am glad one problem is solved. To mention that "extraset" parameter is always pr too high or too low, so if yoy know sometgong about this , share it. Good day gentlemen!

Good to hear! The frustration this causes is real, lol.