BF:V is amazing, DICE can't seem to get any love here!

Comments

• Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The only thing amazing about it is BFV did the impossible for me, it taught me after 7 years of trying to play something other than Battlefield. I actually started playing other games. I finished 7 super fun single player games this year and didn't at any point curse the developers of any of them. Waiting for BF6 though I'm expecting a disappointment but we'll see.

I thought it was normal to play other games. Since the release of BF5 I've beaten 48 games and have at least tried another 40+ games in the same timeframe (thanks, Game Pass) and just beat the Touryst two days ago, beat Fable 1 yesterday, am currently playing through Shadow Warrior 2, Batman Arkham Knight, Shadow of War, and We Happy Few - and I'm still probably going to do the weekly challenges in BF5 today and still play it all the time.

Granted, I probably have more time to play games than the average guy, but I was just under the impression that it was normal for people to not just play one, singular game.

Might be the reason why so many here act like BF5 is so much more than just a game they dislike. There seems to be quite a few people in the community that have only played BF for some reason.
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    This. Co-op games are also fun. Playing Vermintide II currently and have 0 frustration.

Vermintide II was amazing - can't wait for the studio's next project, the same type of game in the WH40k universe instead of WH Fantasy.
  • Matty101yttam
    1466 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall said:
    (Quote)
    This. Co-op games are also fun. Playing Vermintide II currently and have 0 frustration.

Vermintide II was amazing - can't wait for the studio's next project, the same type of game in the WH40k universe instead of WH Fantasy.
    I think co-op games are the way of the future, singleplayer is fine for story driven solo survival like Amnesia but pretty much everything else can be improved by making singleplayer into singleplayer/co-op.
    BF games would be improved vastly by allowing people to join in on the story, 
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall said:
    (Quote)

They promised to support Vermintide II even after 40K game was announced. The second big expansion is being developed atm.
  • DerDoktorMabuse
    397 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Isnt it called Darktide atm? Or "nurgle"tide...
  • ElliotLH
    9599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    They promised to support Vermintide II even after 40K game was announced. The second big expansion is being developed atm.

If it's the game I'm thinking off it looks really good.

TBH I'm craving a new W40K game on Xbox and am still annoyed that Space Hulk got pulled from the platform in favour of PS4 and PC.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6313 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Isnt it called Darktide atm? Or "nurgle"tide...
    It is in fact called Darktide and seems just like a 40K version of Vermintide. They will probably improve and polish the basic idea and mechanics but can't expect a lot.
    Unless they manage to add VS mode on release which was promised for Vermintide but got delayed until some latter dlc or something.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3868 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH wrote: »
    (Quote)

TBH I'm craving a new W40K game on Xbox and am still annoyed that Space Hulk got pulled from the platform in favour of PS4 and PC.

Martyr is great.
  • dariarty
    187 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    ElliotLH said:
    (Quote)

Necromunda Underhive Wars releases early September. I think it might be more turn based strategy than FPS, but if it's still 40K.

Just realised I do have a positive. BFV may not have quite hooked me but I did use the free time to get finally get my Alpha Legion army painted up!! 

Thanks Dice  
  • ElliotLH
    9599 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

Martyr is great.
    dariarty wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Necromunda Underhive Wars releases early September. I think it might be more turn based strategy than FPS, but if it's still 40K.

Just realised I do have a positive. BFV may not have quite hooked me but I did use the free time to get finally get my Alpha Legion army painted up!! 

Thanks Dice  

Cheers guys. Will check them both out.

Also, glad you found a great use for your free time, dariarty (or should we call you Alpharius? Lol).
  • Hawxxeye
    7781 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Do you think that we hang out here criticizing BFV for anything but love for the series?
    When you love someone you do not let them get away with critical flaws.
  • dariarty
    187 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)

Martyr is great.
    dariarty wrote: »
    (Quote)

Thanks Dice  

Cheers guys. Will check them both out.

Also, glad you found a great use for your free time, dariarty (or should we call you Alpharius? Lol).

Hydra Dominatus brother 👍

Also ProAssassin is correct, Martyr is just superb 👌
  • Loqtrall
    edited August 9
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Do you think that we hang out here criticizing BFV for anything but love for the series?When you love someone you do not let them get away with critical flaws.

I would say this is only true to an extent.

Because when it comes to BF5, the bulk of criticism this game received did not pertain to objective flaws with the game or gameplay itself.

It had to do with a glaring bias toward ww2 being expressed by the playerbase (and also millions of people outside the playerbase who had otherwise never touched, seen, or cared about any other BF title) and how those people were unhappy with BF5 being just as inaccurate, inauthentic, and fantastical as any other BF game. And those types of complaints continue on to this day, with people insisting BF5 was a failure of a ww2 game because it didn't feature the eastern front, didn't feature d day, didn't feature this, or that, or that.

I'd hardly call those criticisms logical, level headed, constructive, or objective when they're posted in complete ignorance of the history of these games and they're of a mindset wherein video games, for whatever reason, are supposed to be custom made-to-order products developed around the whim and personal preference of millions of completely random people online - all solely because the game is set during ww2. Instead of a BF game just being developed like a BF game.

I've come to the "WW2 bias" conclusion because as far as I'm aware, as someone who has been actively and regularly purchasing and playing every title in this franchise since 2002 and as someone who has been an active member of this community since 2010 - I haven't seen such criticisms being thrown at any other BF title regardless of its setting or how outwardly God damned ridiculous it was portrayed.

That's more specifically in regards to BF1942 and BF1.

Of course the former was the first game in this franchise, a ww2 game filled to the brim with inaccuracies, having teams with faction locked weapons still using incorrect weapons, etc, and it ended its active life cycle with a final expansion that focused on the fantasy and unknown side of ww2 and added jets, proto helicopters, and jetpacks to the game.

And the latter being the best selling game in the franchise - a ww1 game that is undeniably THE most inaccurate, inauthentic, over the top, fantastical, ridiculous portrayal of ww1 to ever exist - which contained many of the same things people criticize BF5 for including. Like entire factions with forced black guys or incorrect uniforms that can't be changed at all, gold/chrome/decorative weapon and vehicle skins, soldiers covered head to toe in unused and prototype tacticool gear, Elite kits running around in full body armor like a one man army, weapons that were literally never used by anyone before or after the war, the first and ONLY case of non-faction locked vehicles in the entire franchise, events portrayed incorrectly in the war stories, maps based on battles that never happen, maps based on battles that were heavily altered, ridiculous melee weapons like totokia and grappling hooks, etc, etc.

And if I left it alone and didn't say what I was about to say - I'd GUARANTEE someone would come in here and respawn to what I just said with "But BF1 is ww1 and generally people know less about it", completely ignoring that's exactly what being biased is. Saying things are okay in one game but bad in another because you know more about the setting in the other game. Despite the two things being the same and having an equal effect on the game itself.

And all of that goes without mentioning in detail the list of fantastical and ridiculous crap in the two titles that released befoee BF1 - which was a cops and robbers title where the two factions fought on city streets with military grade weaponry, blasting music out of golden plated SUVs, running around with dinosaur masks and rainbow zebra print gun skins - and a modern era title set in 2020 that featured hover tanks, rail guns, a knife with a bipod on it, a 40x scope for the m1911, soldiers covered in so much tacticool gear that they look more like Swat or GROM more than average solders, ridiculous weapon, vehicle, and player camos, eod bots rolling around killing people with a cutting torch, every weapon having access to night vision scopes that work in broad daylight in the desert, etc.

At that point, people have been actively - for nearly 2 years - criticizing BF5 for being a BF game instead of being the game they wanted it to be.

That's less like, for instance, a caring and loving family member openly criticizing you for making legitimately negative life-affecting choices - and more like a controlling, overexaggerating, overdramatic, and manipulative girlfriend criticizing their significant other for taking a career path in the footsteps of their parents rather than doing with their life whatever the girlfriend wanted them to do with it.

A lot of those specific types of criticisms, which definitely make up the bulk of criticism BF5 has received, give off such an air of self-entitlement its not even funny. It's a stance based entirely on personal feeling and preference toward a specific setting for a game, and 9 times out of 10 it's dictated by a bias toward ww2.

Let's just say if BF5 featured everything all of its critics insisted a "good ww2 game" should have featured - BF5 would include EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the war from factions to battles, weapons, vehicles, uniforms, gadgets, etc, etc, etc. Which is not a "fair" or objective form of criticism or expectation toward BF5 or its devs at all.

It seems many, many people in the BF community aren't willing to simply step back and admit a game just merely wasn't what they wanted, rather than incessantly post online that the game is some egregious wrongdoing from DICE and is a smack in the face to the community or something. Like DICE somehow betrayed someone because they released one game in 20 years that they had these issues with.

It's incredibly sad, honestly.
  • Matty101yttam
    1466 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Before the game was even released.... Huge outcry over it's illegitimacy of WW2, they then scorned the players.
    They went down the wrong road from the get go and only recently have tried and over compensated for their early days after release.

Should have known from that moment this game was never going to live up to any real sort of expectation people had from the Battlefield franchise.

Still no:
    Hardcore
    Dedicated rental Servers
    Anti-cheat
    Teamswitch
    Auto-Balance

Game has a multitude of bugs and glitches that are annoying because they are so frequent
    Balance is pretty non-existant despite their efforts.

It seems a few complain and they make amends to appease the minority and it completely annoys the majority.

yeah when you think your better than your customers your in for a rough road
  • Celsi_GER
    898 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    No love for bugged crap.
  • DocCuda418
    212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just have private servers so people can work on getting the cheaters out. Problem solved on PC. The cheating killed the game, it became unplayable. 
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    Hawxxeye said:
    Loqtrall said:
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Do you think that we hang out here criticizing BFV for anything but love for the series?When you love someone you do not let them get away with critical flaws.

I would say this is only true to an extent.

Because when it comes to BF5, the bulk of criticism this game received did not pertain to objective flaws with the game or gameplay itself.
    (skipping all the rest but assume they are being quoted)

It's incredibly sad, honestly.
    I want to believe that marketing grievances aside, BFV for most people failed the test of gameplay instead of the test of presentation.
    I am speaking about:
    Performance issues (it is still the worst performing game I got even on low settings)
    Bugs that took forever to fix and some are still happening (like the bomb/rocket reload fails)
    The way vehicle attrition took a lot of the fun out of the vehicle gameplay. Tanks have been degraded to sniping tools. This is just not fun compared to previous incarnations of tanks.
    Weapon/vehicle balance being shifted constantly
    The stunts they pulled with the BTK changes back and forth.
    The best mode of BF1 being ruined in BFV
    The over-cluttering of the maps (I have made it less of an issue by setting the mesh quality on low these days)
    The lack of proper team balancing utility
    The the lack off and the eventual incomplete implementation of custom servers.
    As I have probably said before: If the gameplay was rock solid, then the aesthetic choices, etc that you mentioned that too many people talked to death about, would had been easily glossed over.
    If they had nailed the aesthetics but still had all these problems, there would may had been more initial purchases, but the game would be sinking all the same for the same reasons
    Like I said before, it feels not only to me that Dice put incredibly low effort into BFV development. I don't really want to call it a cash grab but it's not 100% false tbh.
  • UsainskiSemperFi
    563 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 11
    I agree. BFV is amazing, BUT we all have one big all caps ''BUT'' about BFV . But i will say only one thing...BFV had so much potencial ...
    Post edited by UsainskiSemperFi on