BF:V is amazing, DICE can't seem to get any love here!

Comments

• tempo_rarity
    1378 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    For me , the very few annoying issues that I have with a 'broken' BFV are , to be quite honest , vastly outnumbered by its many enjoyably innovative 'working parts' .
    I've simply had way more fun playing this Game than I haven't had fun playing this Game , and this has lead me more towards a Fun-Slaught than a Fun-Sought .
  • GrizzGolf
    1422 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Ive had a blast with it so far
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    (Quote)

I want to believe that marketing grievances aside, BFV for most people failed the test of gameplay instead of the test of presentation..I am speaking about:Performance issues (it is still the worst performing game I got even on low settings)
    Bugs that took forever to fix and some are still happening (like the bomb/rocket reload fails)The way vehicle attrition took a lot of the fun out of the vehicle gameplay. Tanks have been degraded to sniping tools. This is just not fun compared to previous incarnations of tanks.Weapon/vehicle balance being shifted constantlyThe stunts they pulled with the BTK changes back and forth.The best mode of BF1 being ruined in BFVThe over-cluttering of the maps (I have made it less of an issue by setting the mesh quality on low these days)The lack of proper team balancing utilityThe the lack off and the eventual incomplete implementation of custom servers..As I have probably said before: If the gameplay was rock solid, then the aesthetic choices, etc that you mentioned that too many people talked to death about, would had been easily glossed over.If they had nailed the aesthetics but still had all these problems, there would may had been more initial purchases, but the game would be sinking all the same for the same reasons

What you're saying would actually make sense if the rest of the community mimicked your sentiment - but they don't.

There are still a countless vast myriad of people in the community that criticize this game primarily because of its aesthetic portrayal of ww2. There are legitimately people here and on reddit who stopped playing BF5 because off the wall skins were added to the game. There are people online insisting they won't buy the next BF game because of how "horribly" DICE handled ww2.

I JUST woke up and checked reddit before hopping on here and the first post I saw was on the BF subreddit of someone posting a meme saying "BFV Players be like:" followed by a picture of Sam Rockwell in his ridiculous home made German uniform in the film Jojo Rabbit.

The game literally started its life cycle with a gigantic debacle around its portrayal of the setting, with its reveal trailer that showed off zero actual gameplay being downvoted to hell and back solely because of the inauthentic portrayal of ww2 and the presence of a singular woman.

There was a huge crybaby wankfest over the Nordlys war story involving two women instead of a squad of commandos.

During the beta, among various complaints about technical issues, was the intense roar of people criticizing there being black and Asian options for the German team and people calling a legitimate ww2 German snipers mask "Jason Voorhees".

We recently saw the release of the American pilot Elite Skin and to this day people in the community regularly call him Tom Cruise, and criticize skin for being inauthentic and crazy despite people posting photos of pilots from ww2 that look damn near identical. I can't tell you how many people I've seen insist they like the game, but it's all the "little inaccuracies that add up and kill immersion and ruin the experience".

Those complaints are still being shared among the community in droves on almost every social media platform (especially Facebook and YouTube where damn near every comment about the game pertains to how it portrayed ww2) nearly 2 years after the launch of the game. It most definitely does not seem like many if any of those people were willing, at all, to accept the portrayal of ww2 DICE has gone with and "gloss over it" regardless of how they feel about gameplay (which definitely doesn't universally line up with your personal experience with and feelings about the game).

Hell, many (and by that I mean almost all) of the things you listed above can be said about several BF games - primarily BF1, the best selling game in the franchise, which also didn't have rented servers at launch, didn't get content for the first 6 months of its life, suffered from the same sort of bugs BF5 has dealt with and received updates to fix them at an even slower pace, still suffers from random bugs to this day, has worse tank gameplay than its predecessor, had immensely overpowered aircraft that were complained about constantly, had very ineffective and at times seemingly nonexistent team balancing, and got two entire TTK overhauls as well that were both criticized by the community, as well as gameplay that had many facets constantly complained about and changed over the course of its lifespan (like possibly the worst explosive spam a BF game has ever seen).
  • X_Sunslayer_X
    1495 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall said:
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    (Quote)

I want to believe that marketing grievances aside, BFV for most people failed the test of gameplay instead of the test of presentation..I am speaking about:Performance issues (it is still the worst performing game I got even on low settings)
    Bugs that took forever to fix and some are still happening (like the bomb/rocket reload fails)The way vehicle attrition took a lot of the fun out of the vehicle gameplay. Tanks have been degraded to sniping tools. This is just not fun compared to previous incarnations of tanks.Weapon/vehicle balance being shifted constantlyThe stunts they pulled with the BTK changes back and forth.The best mode of BF1 being ruined in BFVThe over-cluttering of the maps (I have made it less of an issue by setting the mesh quality on low these days)The lack of proper team balancing utilityThe the lack off and the eventual incomplete implementation of custom servers..As I have probably said before: If the gameplay was rock solid, then the aesthetic choices, etc that you mentioned that too many people talked to death about, would had been easily glossed over.If they had nailed the aesthetics but still had all these problems, there would may had been more initial purchases, but the game would be sinking all the same for the same reasons

What you're saying would actually make sense if the rest of the community mimicked your sentiment - but they don't.

There are still a countless vast myriad of people in the community that criticize this game primarily because of its aesthetic portrayal of ww2. There are legitimately people here and on reddit who stopped playing BF5 because off the wall skins were added to the game. There are people online insisting they won't buy the next BF game because of how "horribly" DICE handled ww2.

I JUST woke up and checked reddit before hopping on here and the first post I saw was on the BF subreddit of someone posting a meme saying "BFV Players be like:" followed by a picture of Sam Rockwell in his ridiculous home made German uniform in the film Jojo Rabbit.

The game literally started its life cycle with a gigantic debacle around its portrayal of the setting, with its reveal trailer that showed off zero actual gameplay being downvoted to hell and back solely because of the inauthentic portrayal of ww2 and the presence of a singular woman.

There was a huge crybaby wankfest over the Nordlys war story involving two women instead of a squad of commandos.

During the beta, among various complaints about technical issues, was the intense roar of people criticizing there being black and Asian options for the German team and people calling a legitimate ww2 German snipers mask "Jason Voorhees".

We recently saw the release of the American pilot Elite Skin and to this day people in the community regularly call him Tom Cruise, and criticize skin for being inauthentic and crazy despite people posting photos of pilots from ww2 that look damn near identical. I can't tell you how many people I've seen insist they like the game, but it's all the "little inaccuracies that add up and kill immersion and ruin the experience".

Those complaints are still being shared among the community in droves on almost every social media platform (especially Facebook and YouTube where damn near every comment about the game pertains to how it portrayed ww2) nearly 2 years after the launch of the game. It most definitely does not seem like many if any of those people were willing, at all, to accept the portrayal of ww2 DICE has gone with and "gloss over it" regardless of how they feel about gameplay (which definitely doesn't universally line up with your personal experience with and feelings about the game).

Hell, many (and by that I mean almost all) of the things you listed above can be said about several BF games - primarily BF1, the best selling game in the franchise, which also didn't have rented servers at launch, didn't get content for the first 6 months of its life, suffered from the same sort of bugs BF5 has dealt with and received updates to fix them at an even slower pace, still suffers from random bugs to this day, has worse tank gameplay than its predecessor, had immensely overpowered aircraft that were complained about constantly, had very ineffective and at times seemingly nonexistent team balancing, and got two entire TTK overhauls as well that were both criticized by the community, as well as gameplay that had many facets constantly complained about and changed over the course of its lifespan (like possibly the worst explosive spam a BF game has ever seen).

well i would say if skins and cosmetics are their only reason to abandon/boycott BF then its rather good riddence.
    my opinion about BFV and my issues are mainly focused on the poor performance and gameplay as well as the rather lacking support the game got imo.
    the game had so many issues and skins were rarely a deal-breaker for me. literally the only skins i have issue with are the newest ghuille suits DICE introduced proving they did not understand the visibility issues at the start of the game....
    as far as i remember BF1 had 6 months drought but after that DICE were on time with the rest of the DLC, and i only remember the TTk2.0  in BF1 towards the latter half of its life-cycle which made away with the worst RBD so might be rose tinted glasses but at the very least it did not go through 4 TTK changes in half the time like BFV did (December TTK/revert Nr.1/TTK6.0/TTK6.2)

• OskooI_007
    1321 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV is a lost cause.  It is the Windows ME of the Battlefield franchise. 

Quote of the day!
  • tempo_rarity
    1378 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    umm
    I don't see "Tom Cruise" at all when I see that American Elite .
    I see Cher's friend Christian in 'Clueless' .
    :D  
  • PSJackman4
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BFV isn't that bad. I enjoy playing it a lot. its funny because when BFV is compared to the latest COD installments, BFV is amazing. 
  • Tha_Growler
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 16
    When I say BFV is the Windows ME of the Battlefield franchise I don't mean to say it is that bad.  I just mean to say that by all numerical measures it has been a flop for EA.

My clan skipped BF1, so we played BF4 for 5 years before buying BFV.   I loved BF4, but there are many things about BFV that are better and I really want to be carried forward. 

Private servers have to come back, though.  EA deeply hurt the franchise when they eliminated them.  I hope they pull their head out for BF6.
    Post edited by LOLGotYerTags on
  • LOLGotYerTags
    14439 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    @Tha_Growler
    Please do not attempt to circumvent the filter as this will land you with an infraction.

Post edited to remove the violation.
  • lightz0ut
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Just wanted to check in now that I have read all the comments, done more research and have a better understanding why people were upset.  Every player who purchases a  game is entitled to their opinions regardless of whether or not they are well-informed.  Now that I have seen the early trailers, know how BF:V launched and the understand the inconsistent or contradictory changes made throughout the last two years all of it makes perfect sense. If  I bought in Day1 or anytime before Year 2 thinking something was to be delivered and it was shelved or abandoned without a satisfactory explanation it would be my duty to trounce the devs publicly at every chance in as polite a way possible.

My thoughts on this has more to do with my past appreciation for games and doing a lot of testing for mods etc.  Being able to carefully explain what you like ir dislike without being offensive is a delicate art.   It takes no talent to be offensive or angry. I do think people who post criticism can still care or want better, So I hope I explained myself there. I was ignorant and now I get it.  I still love the game and look past stuff that is broken.  As I get better I am actually enjoying it more than ever. Its my personal peak BF moment in a way.  Taking 5 years to do other things and play other games like MOBAs/RPGs gave me a reset on FPS games.  For me online multiplayer is an inherently social experience and having good people to play with is not always easy.

Looking at the game today I think it has come so far from the early days. The core is still the same but  it is impossible for me to not appreciate how grand the scale of the maps are and how many optional paths exists between objectives. The terrain, cover and ability to build or destroy things to your favor is probably what I feel differentiates this franchise from the others. I love what an amazing arsenal of weapons, vehicles and specializations or gadgets can  be accessed. Leveling up feels less grindy and more natural.  I  am stilll very much enjoying discovering new gear to fit my style and the weekly assignments make all that more pleasant than earilier games where I couldnt find any reason to grind much.

The quality of  the community of commited players or real fans who are still playing is what I love most.  I am also doing more listening, less talking.  Sometimes my ADHD is terrible and even though I may be having fun I am not reviving or healing as medic. Instead of being over-sensitive I appreciate people who expect better teammates and most games are won or lost by its squads working together.  Having a headset, communicating and effforting towards objectives is expected by good players as it should be.  Bad losses or difficult matches with your team/squad/players are unavoidable at times but the overall level of skill is so much better now.  If  I am sucking I ask for help, make adjustments or change up servers until I get a groove going.

My skills are mostly as a team player who will work in squad toward objectives. What I lack in hand/eye twitch heads shots can be made up for by knowing the maps, keeping an eye out for unspotted enemies and making sure my attitude doesn't suck.  Being a decent squad requires co-operation. If you are not having fun or your attitude sucks no one will listen to you much less folllow you into chaos.   I dont always have VOIP on but finding a squad, using teamwork with complimentary roles and being able to push/hold when the timing right is the risk/reward payoff  that makes an epic session. It's elusive but that is what makes it special.  I want to keep improving and I am sure that the evolution of BFV will shape BF6. Thank you to the members who continue to help me see and be a better Battlefield player.  

True Confession: My fave game was BF2142 and i loved the sci-fi/tech angle as it offered so many new things. I think I may be kind of jaded on modern military or 'milsim' stuff. I played with Shacktac Arma or WW2Online for years I dont begrudge anyone who likes that stuff. there is plenty out there to choose from now and that is awesome.  My personal preference is that  the franchise does not suffer from less realism or historical accuracy when it may interfere with action with vehicles or using leveloution. It may be campy but its more fun to do wild things, take risks and be less passive. DICE can't make everyone happy all the time but I hope BF6 can and will be what may be the next big leap forward as other games are catching up in style.  Maybe its time to go full Space Force and revisit BF2142 again?
  • Hawxxeye
    7781 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It all boils down to expectations vs reality dear lightz0ut

• Tha_Growler
    65 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hawxxeye said:

So true.  My hope is DICE and EA truly analyze why BFV was a financial failure and do everything they can to avoid it for BF6.  There is no denying there are many positive game mechanic that were brought to the BF franchise.  Then why the failure?

• Regain the trust and affection of the BF community - Forget the "We will build it.  You will play it" model.  Engage the BF community to help develop BF6.

• Allow private servers -   Community Games was a flop.  Concept was fine.  Result did not work.  Ever look for a Community Game?  There is a reason for that.  Allowing private servers allows people to play the way they want to play.  Not the mode nor map that EA and DICE want us to play.  What were they thinking?

• Don't anger the community - Next time a DICE employee tells the community, "If you don't like it, don't buy it" they should already have a lead on another job.  That has to go down as the dumbest move ever.

• Stay away from WOKE -  We get enough of that nonsense everyday.  I don't care what EA and DICE think politically or socially.  We don't need it rammed down our throats.

• TheTrooperx86
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Meanwhile, I just want a proper remake to Medal of honor Allied Assault 
  • PSJackman4
    331 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i want more dlcs for the bulgarian, serbian, japanese, and greek armies for BF1. And also a dlc for the fighting in the african colonies
  • lightz0ut
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    i want more dlcs for the bulgarian, serbian, japanese, and greek armies for BF1. And also a dlc for the fighting in the african colonies
    Yeah now that I have been playing longer I am starting to see the wasted potential. If they want wallet votes that fine. Also, couple little bug/features/problems starting to become "normal" like people with no line-of-sight constant killing you on spawn.  It's just videro games but yeh history tells a story worth not forgetting.  DICE is awesome but yeah its a little mysterious why they might just shelve a ton a work that may or not have been done.

• lightz0ut
    Hawxxeye said:

I have never accused of being a realist but I can stick by one conviction the core gameplay, based on squads working as a team is awesome and functional. You just need three other people with mics that are down and not annoying.