BF:V is amazing, DICE can't seem to get any love here!

lightz0ut
9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
I am kind of surprised at how the voices of people who aren't happy with the game drown out the majority of people who are online and having fun blowing stuff, capping points etc.  The real world offers such a dazzling array of things to offend or annoy me.  If a game (esp one I loved) stops being fun or my attitude stops people from having fun with me I take a time out.  It's pretty much my only rule with my son for gaming - don't be toxic to yourself or others - pretty simple.

Don't get me wrong complaining or criticizing a dev is fair if you bought it and its not working, raise hell.  But no game is perfect and a surprising amount of the people with gripes is why do they still play? If you really love something and get that worked u take a walk or uninstall for a while to clear your head. Often real world or personal stress gets vented in game.  Times are stressful for everyone. Coming back to BFV after a long break  I was worried I would hate it. Bought it on Steam sale thinking it was worth a shot, plus refundable.  One year into a game release is kind of the sweet spot for tuning and this is no exception.  I have a pretty dated rig so I was worried about performance. All of that fear was unfounded. Not only does the game run well but its gorgeous. The amount of terrain, path options, cover and strategic variables are so freaking good.  But the best part of all for me? The community of players, for the most part, are pretty good about playing objectives and understand teamwork.  

From my experience Battlefield is about action, chaos and rewarding teamwork.  This game does that so well on every level.  I don't need authenticity on skins. There are other great franchises that do that which need support. I can't knock people for attacking EA or feeling like DICE let them down. I have been there. All I am saying is that Battlefield 5 has a ton of stuff on the inside which works well and doesn't get any recognition since its not named. The way the game meta plays out in its current state on a good server with no atrocious hacking means that the team that efforts together harder or smarter can win even when they are behind.  That combined effort is what makes the game pop off and I have played thousands of rounds in every version of BF so I am qualified.  I play for fun and be a decent squadie because a good attitude can make up for my lack of hand/eye coordination or natural reflexes. To my surprise I have found a met a bunch of people who also seem to be having fun and understand objectives. Maybe the demise of this franchise has been exaggerated?

DICE has done so much work from BF1 til now I think coming back after time off makes it easier to have perspective. This is peak Battlefield, winning is less about loadouts and more about squads working together.  The size and scale of the maps blows my mind. I love Provence. There will always be people who cheat or do things which defy explanation. Overall I would say the franchise has really made big leaps forward and still creates its own niche.  I really dont like hearing about unused assets for the game that may have been shelved in favor of tacking on a last minute BR mode. That is rage inducing logic from a suit. But looking at one point of evidence in particular I think DICE deserves more love for all the work.  Over the last two weeks I have had some major comebacks and rallies where both teams were engaged in continuous combat. The contest/conquer/control for points was furious and exhausting ending in a single digit difference. Some many matches have ended with less than 20 tickets.  Yes they are some lopsided matches but its merciful.  

TLDR: Don't play if you aren't having fun, maybe now its time to appreciate how fun BF:V is when firing on all cylinders. 

Comments

• MrCamp121
    1168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    VOLBANKER wrote: »
    (Quote)
    Many people have stopped playing because of dissatisfaction. Me included.
    After BFV got added to Steam, the amount of players using overclocked chairs went through the roof.

You forgot to.mention the $3000 RGB lights :)
  • Red_Label_Scotch
    1571 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    lightz0ut said:
    I am kind of surprised at how the voices of people who aren't happy with the game drown out the majority of people who are online and having fun blowing stuff, capping    

TLDR: Don't play if you aren't having fun, maybe now its time to appreciate how fun BF:V is when firing on all cylinders. 

No, they're not hiring now.  Thanks for asking.
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TFBisquit wrote: »
    A cycle of nerfing, buffing and nerfing again is devastating to any community/game.

Didn't seem to stop the community from coddling BF1s undercarriage like it's the second coming.
  • Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    And if I had to answer OP, I'd say most of the hate (unjustifiably) comes from people who didn't get the ww2 game they wanted. When it comes to the overall community and complaints about technical aspects of the game or complaints about how ww2 is portrayed, the bulk of complaints are toward the latter.

It's been happening since release, and if it's taught us anything, it's that gamers are incessantly whingy, self-entitled brats who can't handle the fact that there's a ww2 game that doesn't mimic Band of Brothers, doesn't include the maps THEY wanted to be in a ww2 game, and doesn't fit their exact ww2 power-¯\_(ツ)_/¯ fantasy.

We still have people to this day coming t the forums, Reddit, social media, etc insisting BF5 is garbage because it doesn't feature the Eastern Front - despite not being even remotely the only ww2 game, film, book, etc to not feature the Eastern Front.

Just three days ago I had a guy on reddit tell me that BF5 was a failure of a ww2 game because it didn't feature most of the major operations of ww2, specifically D-day - despite it being easier to count the WW2 media that does feature D Day than it would be to count the ones without it.

That hate and criticism, of course, stems from a place of deep-seeded bias toward ww2 as a setting for a game, and completely ignores the fact that we're talking about a BF game in a franchise that has an existence-spanning history of its games being inaccurate, unrealistic, over the top, nonsensical, and fantastical in all aspects.

Some of the same people here and abroad who make those sorts of criticisms toward BF5 have also gone on to point out how supposedly fantastic and authentic BF1 was in regards to its portrayal of ww1.

Meanwhile, on planet Earth outside the delusional dream worlds of blind haters, BF1 was an atrocious bastardization of the realities of ww1. It had multiple factions with random classes being forced to be black guys, it had entire factions with inaccurate uniforms that were literally copied/pasted/recolored from the German faction, they had weapons that were literally never used by anyone in the war, they had gold/chrome/leather clad/engraved/decorative weapon skins, they had the ONLY instance of non-fiction-locked vehicles in the entire BF franchise, it had maps based on locations where no actually battle happened, heavily altered or completely false events in the war stories, ridiculous melee weapons like totokia and grappling hooks, Elite kits covered head to toe in body armor running around like a one man army, soldiers covered in nonsensical, prototype, and unused tacticool gear, etc, ect, ect.

The bias is real. It's also nonsense that doesn't give BF5 or its devs a fair chance and a stance that separates BF5 from the rest of this ridiculously over the top and fantastical franchise and holds it up to a higher standard of authenticity and accuracy than any other game in the franchise has achieved. All because it's a damn ww2 video game.

As for complaints about technical aspects of the game like gun balance, bugs, issues, etc - its essentially no different in the community than it was in past games. We've even experienced some of the same issues as we did in past games (BF1 invisible players, anyone?). It's nothing new for this place and reddit to be treated like less of a general discussion forum for the game, and more of a place to specifically vent your frustration about things you dislike or issues you experienced.
  • DerDoktorMabuse
    397 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 5
    The game is bad because its a "cashgrab" iam getting more and more the feeling that there was no "new" content but that all content introduced into the game after release was already there... yes the firestorm map was made by another company... maybe even the pacific was already finished when they released the game...

People would kiss DICE scrotum if they had released BF5 as a DLC for BF1 and thats how it feels like a DLC... even the fast price drop shows that it was meant as a DLC
  • DavTan
    857 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Despite it's technical issues ( all games have them ) and the stupid sliding , it's my favourite bf and I've played since bad co 1.

• szrz
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    lightz0ut said:

I have a pretty dated rig so I was worried about performance. All of that fear was unfounded. Not only does the game run well but its gorgeous. The amount of terrain, path options, cover and strategic variables are so freaking good.  But the best part of all for me? The community of players, for the most part, are pretty good about playing objectives and understand teamwork. ...

...But looking at one point of evidence in particular I think DICE deserves more love for all the work.  Over the last two weeks I have had some major comebacks and rallies where both teams were engaged in continuous combat. The contest/conquer/control for points was furious and exhausting ending in a single digit difference. Some many matches have ended with less than 20 tickets.  Yes they are some lopsided matches but its merciful. ...

////
    I totally agree. I played BF 1 2 3 4 5 (not in that order) tried BF1942 but at that time I dint play online games at all . With all shortcomings and missed potential BF5 plays very well now in its second life- many new players. Join EU servers - Strategic Conquest play list - old school BF experience. We promote there active, healthy team play for action, game balance and fun. We don't clan stack to avoid unbalanced teams and rounds and combat those who are toxic or try unhealthy "team work"  with focus on farming kills. We help new players as well. 

• dariarty
    183 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    While it's obviously it's not ideal I do think it's better that people gather on the forum to debate V's flaws rather than not at all. V is just a stop gap in Battlefield as a franchise and at least if people are gathering to debate why V is such a disaster then it shows that they are invested in Battlefield as an ongoing series, rather than just walking away and abandoning Battlefield entirely. 

It's great that the OP is enjoying the game but ultimately whether any forum member likes or dislikes a game is entirely subjective to that individual. It is V's sales and player retention that actually matter and from a financial, technical and critical perspective V just hasn't lived up to the standard set by its predecessor.

Personally I don't think V is terrible, it was just released far too early with Dice having to split their resources between too many games. With BF6 it seem's like they're doing it right at least.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6310 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The only thing amazing about it is BFV did the impossible for me, it taught me after 7 years of trying to play something other than Battlefield. I actually started playing other games. I finished 7 super fun single player games this year and didn't at any point curse the developers of any of them. Waiting for BF6 though I'm expecting a disappointment but we'll see.
    This. Co-op games are also fun. Playing Vermintide II currently and have 0 frustration. Not sure why should I make such an insane decision and play BFV on regular basis again? 100% not worth it.
  • MrCamp121
    1168 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 14
    The only thing amazing about it is BFV did the impossible for me, it taught me after 7 years of trying to play something other than Battlefield. I actually started playing other games. I finished 7 super fun single player games this year and didn't at any point curse the developers of any of them. Waiting for BF6 though I'm expecting a disappointment but we'll see.
    [content removed by moderator to conform to forum rules]. Its going to be just as bad if not worse, since they dont seem to learn from their endless mistakes. Not buying any more games from dice ever again.
    Post edited by ragnarok013 on