'Finding game' at the end of each round (aka the new 'balancing system'...)

RipGroove99
274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited November 2020
Speak up then guys with constructive criticism because if we don't this 'balancer' may well end up in BF6.

Please voice your opinions on it here: https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/205325/community-broadcast-new-eor-matchmaking/p4

My views:

Pros of the new balancer:

None.

Cons of the new balancer:

1. You can't settle into a server knowing exactly what map rotation you will be playing for the next few hours.

2. You end up playing a completely random map rotation, sometimes even playing the same map twice.

3. You can't play with the same big group of people in a server for multiple games in a row so you loose all the comradery and rivalry that goes along with that.

4. The whole experience now has no structure and after each round you feel like you are just leaving the server and hitting a big 'random' button to decide what map/server you are going to play next. If instead of adding this new 'balancer' if DICE had literally added that aforementioned 'random' button, how many people would have pressed it after EVERY single round? None, that's how many. But alas now it's being pressed for us at the end of every around whether we like it or not.

What an absolute game killing mechanic. I wonder what made them add it.... Oh wait, it's almost Christmas so we were due some kind of massive game killing mechanic from DICE, I almost forgot for a second about the holiday tradition where they break the game before Christmas to 'help the new players or something' causing outcry from the loyal fanbase which eventually makes DICE reverse the change but not before they adequately ruined the gameplay experience for the holiday period. The big question this time is, is there enough of a community left to cry out this time?
Post edited by RipGroove99 on

Comments

• Noodlesocks
    3739 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's the new team balancer. Instead of simply scrambling teams like normal videogames, it moves entire squads to different servers.
  • RipGroove99
    274 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's the new team balancer. Instead of simply scrambling teams like normal videogames, it moves entire squads to different servers.

What?! Why?!!! That's ridiculous, so I now have to play a completely random map rotation including repeating the same maps sometimes.

• RipGroove99
    edited November 2020
    That makes absolutely zero sense. So all that fun and rivalry you get when the same group of people stay in the same server for a few games is just gone now? As well as being forced to play a completely random map rotation.

Are DICE simply not capable of just not pissing off their fanbase and wrecking the experience of their own games?
  • RipGroove99
    I usually see the same old regulars queuing up in the Mercury Breakthrough map, then we play the 3 Pacific fly maps together. So that just can't happen now then? What an absolute mess.
  • sapia_gria
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I agree with you, they ruined the game
  • Noodlesocks
    3739 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

What?! Why?!!! That's ridiculous, so I now have to play a completely random map rotation including repeating the same maps sometimes.

Dice Sweden has a history of over designing features in their games but this one really takes the cake; particularly at this point in the game's life. I feel they lack people in their studio who has the wherewithal and authority to put on the breaks and really look at the practicality of what they are trying to do.
  • DCAT627
    68 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Today this team balancing makes it hard to play with more than 4 friends, it used to be that you might end up on different sides, now you might end up on different severs. Even worse, today it put me and a buddy into a completely empty server - basically just booted us out of the game! 
  • Carbonic
    1972 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    DICE will be collecting feedback on the test of this new team balancer, from this forum and other sources.
    Since that is the case I can only recommend you at least include what you like about it, what you don't like about it, and what specific changes would make it better.
    Just saying stuff like "they ruined the game" is rather pointless.
  • RipGroove99
    edited November 2020
    Speak up then guys with constructive criticism because if we don't this 'balancer' may well end up in BF6.

Pros of the new balancer:

None.

Cons of the new balancer:

1. You can't settle into a server knowing exactly what map rotation you will be playing for the next few hours.

2. You end up playing a completely random map rotation, sometimes even playing the same map twice.

3. You can't play with the same big group of people in a server for multiple games in a row so you loose all the comradery and rivalry that goes along with that.

4. The whole experience now has no structure and after each round you feel like you are just leaving the server and hitting a big 'random' button to decide what map/server you are going to play next. If instead of adding this new 'balancer' if DICE had literally added that aforementioned 'random' button, how many people would have pressed it after EVERY single round? None, that's how many. But alas now it's being pressed for us at the end of every around whether we like it or not.

What an absolute game killing mechanic. I wonder what made them add it.... Oh wait, it's almost Christmas so we were due some kind of massive game killing mechanic from DICE, I almost forgot for a second about the holiday tradition where they break the game before Christmas to 'help the new players or something' causing outcry from the loyal fanbase which eventually makes DICE reverse the change but not before they adequately ruined the gameplay experience for the holiday period. The big question this time is, is there enough of a community left to cry out this time?
  • NuttysKunKs
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Is this for matchmaking or server browser?

Sounds like a desperate team balance idea. Who thought it would work?

Perhaps sums up the intelligence left supporting this game...
  • RipGroove99
    edited November 2020
    Is this for matchmaking or server browser?

Sounds like a desperate team balance idea. Who thought it would work?

Perhaps sums up the intelligence left supporting this game...

It's at the end of every round you play regardless of whether you joined from server browser or matchmaking, after the game ends instead of just continuing with the next map you get put in a 'finding game' state, so you just get randomly kicked out of the server you were in and placed in another random one. No way to stay in the same server for multiple rounds now and seemingly no way to stop it from happening.
  • SirSpectacle
    824 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This sounds pretty good to me. Random maps should be more fun than playing the same set rotations  over and over, and lack of team balance is the second biggest problem in BFV (after The Problem That Must Not Be Named) so anything that helps fix those situations where one side is steamrolling the other round after round is an improvement.
  • RipGroove99
    This sounds pretty good to me. Random maps should be more fun than playing the same set rotations  over and over, and lack of team balance is the second biggest problem in BFV (after The Problem That Must Not Be Named) so anything that helps fix those situations where one side is steamrolling the other round after round is an improvement.

It should be an option though, you should be able to opt out, so you can play through a full server map rotation with the same bunch of lads if you so wish.
  • SirSpectacle
    824 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

It should be an option though, you should be able to opt out, so you can play through a full server map rotation with the same bunch of lads if you so wish.

You can still do that with community games, I think? At least I hope so.

This does seem like a bit of an over-engineered solution. I'd really like to know why DICE thinks that scrambling the teams on the current server isn't enough.
  • tempo_rarity
    1443 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    (gut reaction mode)
    Are we now Jerry Seinfeld in a frilly new furry shirt?
    ". . but I don't wanna be a guinea pig!"

(contemplative mode)
    Does this mean those one-sided clan stomps might actually be against other clans now ?
    Less stomp =  a 'better' war?
  • ElliotLH
    9771 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    (Quote)
    This does seem like a bit of an over-engineered solution. I'd really like to know why DICE thinks that scrambling the teams on the current server isn't enough.

Yes it's not been enabled for Community Games, so that's positive at least, but I'm not totally convinced it's a solution since you can't always guarantee you'll be able to find these games, or that people will join if you launch your own. It is definitely an option though, for sure.

--

My only real negative is that I prefer picking what maps I play (might be better to say the old system lets me avoid maps I don't enjoy at all, like Fjell and Mercury) but ultimately that might just be something to give up for the greater good, as it were.
  • RipGroove99
    edited November 2020
    (Quote)

I've had a community game setup for 7hrs today with vanilla Breakthrough rules and it didn't even get started in the whole 7hrs, no one seems interested in community games at all because it hasn't been implemented properly or explained to people how to use it. So community games just isn't a viable option at all.
  • NuttysKunKs
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Celsi_GER wrote: »
    We had working team balancing functionality in previous Battlefield games.
    Why try to re-invent the wheel when it already worked fine in the past?
    And then secretly introduce and test it in a live environment?
    This is a new low point, even for Dice.

That’s been a trademark of dice since BF3!
  • Moorlander
    132 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I usually choose a map to jump into knowing that I will like the next few which follow ie no planes farming kills! This would stop me from doing this. I also play as part of a platoon and have friends in other squads in the same game sometimes; aka wtf