Curious...

Coffeecup132
542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
edited April 2017
I reside in New York City, and I sympathize and frequently contribute to the poor/hungry/homeless.

But I am always curious that it is almost never that I see any of these people to be underweight, and are often enough overweight.

While it is easy to find the people contributing to the needy to be slimmer and sometimes even underweight.

Why?

What about other places - is there a comparable trend?

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• mistaviks2
    218 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Maybe the poor people eat junk and drink, which makes them fat. The people who are contributing have money for a healthier diet and lifestyle and may have personal trainers etc.

It is possible to be overweight but still feel hungry if you have no food for a day.

I dunno to be honest.
  • The_Flngersmith
    147 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Curiosity killed the cat.

But I can add this:
    It's not only what a person eats that defines their BMI, it's also when and how you eat.
    Example: You can eat twice a day, rush your food and consume no water and still be rather overweight. Fat it stored by the body for hungry times, so providing you consume fat, any fat, but at sporadic and sparing times, you can be overweight.
  • Coffeecup132
    542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes, I agree that healthy food is needlessly expensive - look at how much vegetables cost - whereas the cheapest foods tend to be unhealthy.
    Also I guess, when you are poor, you are worried more about banishing hunger for basic survival - and the cheapest foods which can do this tend to be the unhealthy high calorie variants (?)
    Post edited by Coffeecup132 on
  • HonestSoul333
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hmm. I have a few homeless around my town. While none of them are really fat, none look like they've​ missed a meal in a long time.

Interesting observation.
  • OprahSpreadEagle
    442 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I never give money to anyone on the street, the reason is they almost never do they buy food but they get drugs or booze with the money. The homeless can go to a shelter or EBT for their needs very easily. If you want to make a real difference that will help many not just one person here and there I would donate to a reputable shelter, program or kitchen. That is what I do.
  • HonestSoul333
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I never give money to anyone on the street, the reason is they almost never do they buy food but they get drugs or booze with the money. The homeless can go to a shelter or EBT for their needs very easily. If you want to make a real difference that will help many not just one person here and there I would donate to a reputable shelter, program or kitchen. That is what I do.

this guy gets it.