Will the PC community ever get Mod Tools?

BATTLEBRAWL
2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Battlefield 4 was a fantastic game, and since the developers have officially stopped all patches and updates to the game, I was wondering if people thought it'd be interesting if they allowed us to have mod tools and run our own servers with modded versions of the game.

That is one thing other big name FPS games have on PC, old call of duty games can be modded, ARMA can be modded, but battlefield cannot. I sort of understand why this may be a complicated issue especially with the way BF4 is set up alongside battlelog, but it'd be cool to allow the PC community to experiment with the game and make tweaks to the balance, create unique game modes, and potentially bring in new DLC maps and weapons.

Mods greatly extend the longevity of games, at least to some members of the community. Battlefield has slowed down, but hasn't died, and will likely pick up again once the integrated Menu is added to Battlefield 1.

I hope that some day BF4 or any future Battlefield will grant it's users the ability to mod the game.

Comments

• UnderseaAcademic
    272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Never gonna happen, Boots on the ground for me next, need a very long break from Dice / EA :-)
  • wert718
    336 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I hope so. I'd love to play some BF2 maps with the BF4 engine
  • EdwinSpangler
    1778 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Just an example here but look at IL-2 1946 and what has become of it because of the modding community. 11 year old game still going strong with a huge community of excellent modders and players.
  • Sk1lld
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EA stated we would never get these tools. EA felt the engine was to complicated. I don't have the original post. But it was around the BFB C2 time.
  • VonStiffy
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    When majority continue to buy into franchise that's stripped aspects of community orientated gameplay....why would they?
    As you see with BF1...no admin servers...player count won't last the length of DLC, already pitiful
  • BATTLEBRAWL
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Sk1lld wrote: »
    EA stated we would never get these tools. EA felt the engine was to complicated. I don't have the original post. But it was around the BFB C2 time.

People have the time to figure that kind of thing out. That is somewhat of an insult to the community too. It's not like modding has to be alchemy
  • Sk1lld
    548 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Sk1lld wrote: »

People have the time to figure that kind of thing out. That is somewhat of an insult to the community too. It's not like modding has to be alchemy

Kind of how the community took it at the time, if I remember correctly.
  • Mikex2112
    1015 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    #1) If mod tools were released EA/Dice would lose out on millions of dollars in DLC sales.

#2) EA/Dice think that the Battlefield community is nothing but buffoons,therefore wouldnt be able to handle the Frostbite engine.
  • Rroff24
    140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Mikex2112 wrote: »
    #2) EA/Dice think that the Battlefield community is nothing but buffoons,therefore wouldnt be able to handle the Frostbite engine.

lol - remind me again which developer it was that released a game with a suppressor that killed sound for the whole server except the gun it was fitted on....
  • FookDat
    629 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    They will not give us the tools to mod ever again. People played BF2 for too long and they kept loosing money on the new games. So they had to wipe every single BF2 players stats and shut the game down to get people to move. then they had petitions can brought back Relive BF2. so its going again and you can mod your heart out! They want to make money off the DLC and premium. so we will never get modding back!
  • Pahkiller
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    FookDat wrote: »
    They will not give us the tools to mod ever again. People played BF2 for too long and they kept loosing money on the new games. So they had to wipe every single BF2 players stats and shut the game down to get people to move. then they had petitions can brought back Relive BF2. so its going again and you can mod your heart out! They want to make money off the DLC and premium. so we will never get modding back!

Correct, we use to mod maps back then thats what kept BF2 running for 10 years . It was the moders that created the new maps and game play, was brilliant.
    Then EA/DICE said at BFBC2 that they would release the code to moders because they said it would not stop hackers.. a pitiful attempt at lying bit all the same they wont release the code its called greed and fair enough they do own it.
    But the main reason I can see is that if they released the code for the frostbite engine the moders and there are many and are brilliant would make better maps like they did in BF2.

• xxxCoOlBr33zExxx
    3865 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    They have stated that Mod tools will not be released due to the complexity of the Frost Bite engine and if my memory serves me correctly, it also had to do with a licensing issue.
  • Rroff24
    140 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Eh I made a post and it somehow disappeared when I refreshed the forum - long post in short - requirement of 3rd party licensed authoring tools could result in licensing issues but that shouldn't rule out map and mod making using a sub-set of the functionality that the developer has - which is usual with a lot of games that support modding.

If they are worried about the financial side then some kind of content/store platform for mods could be utilised though I suspect the game would have had to have been developed from the ground up with that in mind really. Copyright issues can be mostly naturally handled by for instance only allowing established modders to include custom textures and so on with their releases.
  • SpoolaZ
    179 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

Mikex2112 wrote: »
    #1) If mod tools were released EA/Dice would lose out on millions of dollars in DLC sales.

#1)What if they release tools with final DLC ;)
    #2)It is certainly true because they do not seem to believe that someone else is capable of it, given the choice or lack of anti-cheat solution.
  • opsis_1
    182 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Easy solution... EA charge for mod tools. EA also gets fixed rate or percentage from each server based on population. So if mod is successful so is EA. Win Win situation for everyone.
  • WarTurtleKal
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    opsis_1 wrote: »
    Easy solution... EA charge for mod tools. EA also gets fixed rate or percentage from each server based on population. So if mod is successful so is EA. Win Win situation for everyone.

This is a terrible idea
  • WarTurtleKal
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    They have stated that Mod tools will not be released due to the complexity of the Frost Bite engine and if my memory serves me correctly, it also had to do with a licensing issue.

Considering that Cinematic Tools were created for BF4 after 2 years, and DICE/EA has reduced customization further from BF4 to BF1, I think it's mostly them being very un-user friendly.
  • wert718
    336 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

This is a terrible idea

Wait, so you wouldn't pay for what's basically new DLC? I know I would
  • Rev0verDrive
    6722 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    As long as there is a progression system and stats tracking you won't see mod/mapping tools.
  • BigF33t_13
    6656 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    wert718 wrote: »

This is a terrible idea

Wait, so you wouldn't pay for what's basically new DLC? I know I would

It will NEVER happen. You will NEVER see mod tools for any EA game, ever again.
This discussion has been closed.