Weekly BF

Ping, Latency, Jitter ...

Rev0verDrive
6757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
What is Ping?
Ping is the echo request/response round trip time between two points. Battlefield uses ICMP (type 8) protocol for ping. It's a simple handshake request from the client verifying the existence of the end point (server).
e.g. Client -> Server "Are you there?", Server -> Client "Yes, I am."

What is Latency?
Latency in the networking field is synonymous with Ping. Generally meaning round trip time of a unit from A to B. But in Battlefield, and in most FPS games i'ts the round trip time including the server processing time of a packet. On top of that latency in Battlefield is based on UDP, not ICMP.

Latency increases/Delays are caused by distance, errors and error recovery, congestion, the processing capabilities of systems involved in the transmission, and other factors. Even if you remove these hardware-type delays, you still have the speed-of-light delay. It takes nearly 30 ms to send a bit through a cross-country fiber-optic cable, a delay that can't be eliminated.
  • Delays of distance (called propagation delays) are especially critical when transmitting data to other countries (especially when you consider all the equipment along the way that adds delay).
  • Delay problems with real-time traffic
  • Delay problems with transaction processing systems
  • Problems with variation in delay (jitter)
  • Causes of delay, including congestion, processing delays, queueing delays, and propagation delays
  • Survey of TCP performance issues that result in delay
  • Monitoring and controlling delay (traffic management, traffic shaping, and traffic engineering)
  • Other solutions to the delay problem, including content distribution architectures, QoS (quality of service), prioritization, and differentiated services.

For every 100 meters of fiber optic cable there is 0.001ms of latency. For every kilometer of cable there is 0.01ms. For every 100 kilometers of cable there is a 1ms delay, and for every 1000 kilometers of cable there is 10ms of delay. So from LA to New York that’s about 2778 miles, or 4470 kilometers which gives us a delay of about 44ms each way. Round trip being 88ms. That's not counting any delays from hardware (router/switch etc) along the route your data passes or any of the other listed delays. That's also considering the complete route is 100% fibre and a very straight line.

Routes are not direct, nor are the straight. Routes zig zag, thus increasing distance.

What is Jitter?
Jitter is a variance in latency over time. If every packet takes exactly the same amount of time to travel from A to B, there is no jitter. If the packet delivery times are inconsistent, we call it jitter. Jitter can be overcome with buffering, but that adds to overall latency/lag. Overcoming a lot of jitter might require buffers so large that the resulting lag would make a game terribly unresponsive. High jitter, greater than approximately 50ms, can result in both increased latency and packet loss.

Network Speed, Bandwidth, Throughput
Bandwidth is the maximum units of data that can travel through a 'channel' in X units of time. For example 250 Mbps (Megabits per second) means a maximum of 250 Mb per second.
250Mbps is not faster than 200Mbps in matters of speed ( data latency..A to B ).

Think of it as small pipe vs big pipe. In 1 second the bigger pipe will transfer more water (volume) than the little pipe. Thus, the same file is downloaded faster for the big pipe, than the small pipe.

Yet, if the 200Mbps user is closer to the destination, it can/will download said file faster do to less latency.

A 5Mbps cable user in NY can technically download a 10MB file from Chicago faster than a 200Mbps fibre user in Dubai.

The "Throughput" of a connection is the "actual" maximum units of data that can travel through a 'channel' in X units of time do to network route, distance and delays (refer to delays above).
e.g. You may have a 250Mbps connection, but you only get a throughput of 212Mbps.

Furthermore your local connection may be fibre, but beyond that locality it may be (usually is) copper.
e.g. House to ISP and ISP's surrounding network (e.g. 100 miles) may be fibre, beyond that it can be copper.

NO ISP can guarantee your data's route to be 100% fibre. They can only make that guarantee as long as the startpoint and endpoint (destination) is on their network. They control the first hop destination, beyond that the independent exchanges control the route.

Mb vs MB
There are 8 Megabits (Mb) in 1 Megabyte (MB)
250Mbps equates to 250Mb / 8 = 31.25MBps
200Mbps equates to 200Mb / 8 = 25MBps

Conclusion
There are many variables that affect your latency. Distance from client to server, the protocol used, the traffic, the network infrastructures your data passes through (including your modem/router, ISP), the number of hardware exchanges (pit stops) etc along the route. Your localized network quality (fibre,cable) has little to no bearing on the connection quality outside said network.

Comments

• TEKNOCODE
    11097 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Great info for us laymen.
  • crabman169
    12845 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Thank you.
  • Loqtrall
    12032 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Reppin' Sauce with a seriousness. Quality thread.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11097 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »

Just remember that when you forget to add rev to threads. :)
  • Loqtrall
    12032 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TEKNOCODE wrote: »

Just remember that when you forget to add rev to threads. :)

I started today with the 800,000 year ban thread.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3765 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    giphy.gif
  • AmericanBadAzz23
    419 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2017
    Awesome thread but you know they going to say "my internet was good before patch" lol
  • GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Very informative, thanks.
  • dbibby1988
    421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    So with this information in mind, please can someone help/advise me with my problem. I dont really understand the technical side to all of this but this is a recording of my gameplay with the netgraph. A lot of my shots are missing and Id like to get this fixed once and for all. I live in the UK, I play European servers whilst playing Battlefield, my ping is around 40ish during the video. Ive read so much information over the last few weeks regarding netcode, ping, latency etc that I think my heads going to explode. Can somebody explain why this is happening?

Thanks for any advice given.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The "Some X,Y,Z Game server admin said on Youtube/reddit/twitter" gibberish just aint cutting it. Way too much misinformation out there.
  • Rev0verDrive
    dbibby1988 wrote: »
    So with this information in mind, please can someone help/advise me with my problem. I dont really understand the technical side to all of this but this is a recording of my gameplay with the netgraph. A lot of my shots are missing and Id like to get this fixed once and for all. I live in the UK, I play European servers whilst playing Battlefield, my ping is around 40ish during the video. Ive read so much information over the last few weeks regarding netcode, ping, latency etc that I think my heads going to explode. Can somebody explain why this is happening?

There is a bug atm that's not spawning bullets in the server-side simulation. Happens at random, regardless of connection.

Just for your info, your connection looked very clean through the vid. No issues. No Jitter (latency variation), no packet loss etc. All solid.
  • dbibby1988
    421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dbibby1988 wrote: »

There is a bug atm that's not spawning bullets in the server-side simulation. Happens at random, regardless of connection.

Just for your info, your connection looked very clean through the vid. No issues. No Jitter (latency variation), no packet loss etc. All solid.

Really? All my stats were fine? Ive been having this issue for the past couple of days and I thought it must of been due to my connection in some way. Thanks for the information, youve just saved my sanity!
  • Loqtrall
    Not every day you save someone from going insane on a forum
  • Rev0verDrive
    Not every day you save someone from going insane on a forum

Another "Only in Battlefield" Moment.
  • LeesSummit09
    377 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Rev, you seem to be expert, so I will ask you what I have been asking on PS4. First, game is not unplayable, some servers better than others. I have been getting high latency symbol lately. My NAT is 2, but when I run the whatismyip/ping test on ps4, all 20 tests show status as lost, 0 pings received, 100%packet loss. So what is this test telling me, since I can use my ps4 online?
  • Rev0verDrive
    Rev, you seem to be expert, so I will ask you what I have been asking on PS4. First, game is not unplayable, some servers better than others. I have been getting high latency symbol lately. My NAT is 2, but when I run the whatismyip/ping test on ps4, all 20 tests show status as lost, 0 pings received, 100%packet loss. So what is this test telling me, since I can use my ps4 online?

Ping tests don't really provide you the information you need when it comes to FPS games or any game that requires a direct connection. As noted in the original post, Ping uses ICMP whereas the game uses UDP for data. So pinging some random IP that has zero to do with the games UDP IP/Port will only confuse the matter.

Post a video with your Netgraph running. Periodically in the video show the scoreboard so I can see the other player pings. Other player pings do affect the performance of the server overall. High latencies require buffering which eats cpu and memory so on and so forth.

Server locations, route to it, traffic and hardware on that route could cause jitter (latency variation) Which does cause packet loss and latency spikes. As stated above, you could have the very best internet, but where your data travels to get to the destination will affect its performance.
  • sg2434
    3826 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited May 2017
    Oh are you doing free evaluations? If so I'm gonna record something tomorrow that I'd like you to take a look at and give me your thoughts if you wouldnt mind.

• Rev0verDrive
    DM me Or reg and spam me on BFrepublic.com