Ping, Latency, Jitter ...

Comments

• xenome111
    3064 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    ##bump##
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well......... just jumped on tonight and it's ****. My ping/latency was between 25 and 40 and i had the lag markers all over the right side of the screen and watching players lagging everywhere. Good job on the hotfix Dice :/
  • xenome111
    GoofyMC123 wrote: »
    Well......... just jumped on tonight and it's ****. My ping/latency was between 25 and 40 and i had the lag markers all over the right side of the screen and watching players lagging everywhere. Good job on the hotfix Dice :/

If it was latency symbols to the right side of ur screen then it's ur connection.
  • rock1obsta
    3819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    dbibby1988 wrote: »
    I also think it deserves a sticky to the top. Hes taken the time out to explain all the variables involved with online gaming. Hes even taking time to help out idiots like me who don't understand the ins and outs of all the netgraphs etc during game play.

Ever heard of Google. He probably copied and pasted that off some Tech Article.

Whether it's on Google or not is irrelevant. The Rev took time out to explain all of that to us, you should be grateful instead of being a dbag about it.
  • xenome111
    rock1obsta wrote: »
    I also think it deserves a sticky to the top. Hes taken the time out to explain all the variables involved with online gaming. Hes even taking time to help out idiots like me who don't understand the ins and outs of all the netgraphs etc during game play.

Whether it's on Google or not is irrelevant. The Rev took time out to explain all of that to us, you should be grateful instead of being a dbag about it.

Ur dog is cute so props for that.
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Nothing but lag/packet loss/whatever markers on 3 servers in a row........ balls
  • rock1obsta
    3819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    xenome111 wrote: »
    rock1obsta wrote: »

Ur dog is cute so props for that.

Lol :D .....thanks but I can't take credit for it. I had a pic of Brian spanking Lois since BL but one of the mods changed it.
  • Ram1c
    4167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Don't pay attention to this one guys, he's just another "there is no high ping advantage" believer. Why don't you deny the holocaust existed while your at it lol.
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t

If it was latency symbols to the right side of ur screen then it's ur connection.

My ping at the time was around 30, my mate was having the same problem and his ping is also <40 - personally i think my connection is fine and Dice has just made a right royal **** of these netcode changes.
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    ar se is filtered out? Jeezo
  • xenome111
    edited May 2017

My ping at the time was around 30, my mate was having the same problem and his ping is also <40 - personally i think my connection is fine and Dice has just made a right royal **** of these netcode changes.

syvzV.png
    Which one were u seeing at that time.
  • Ram1c
    4167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

[img]http://i.stack.imgur.com/syvzV.png[\img] Which one were u seeing at that time.[/img]

You got to use the / slash.
  • xenome111
    Ram1c wrote: »

[img]http://i.stack.imgur.com/syvzV.png[\img] Which one were u seeing at that time.[/img]

You got to use the / slash.

Oh ok thanks. :)
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GoofyMC123 wrote:
    There's a bug that doesn't spawn bullets in the server-side simulation, thus no hit reg. it affects players at random and at all pings.

• Goofy-The-Sc0t

syvzV.png
    Which one were u seeing at that time.

Ahhh, server performance was the main one........ which pretty much explains it then, typical crappy EA servers! Did have the packet loss one too but i'm guessing that can be down to a crap server too? The high latency marker popped up a few times too even although i was constantly checking and i never climbed above 45 latency.

Seemed ok in the last round i just played.
  • dbibby1988
    421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Im starting to think my issue is with the extrapolation offset being to high and flucuating to much. I watched a video today in it he explains all of the netgraph. In it he says the extr offset value should be around the value of the server tick rate, which is always at 30 for console. My value is around 30 but sometimes sneaks up to 40 (yellow icon) and sometimes as high as 60 (red icon). Yesterday and today the icon for latency variation is showing up like mad. Im going to have to get on to my ISP and ask about the connection. My ping has been low like the above poster said. But this extr offset makes for very unpleasant game play i.e slight rubber banding, things happening in slow motion, bullet build up etc.
  • crabman169
    12848 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    GoofyMC123 wrote:
    There's a bug that doesn't spawn bullets in the server-side simulation, thus no hit reg. it affects players at random and at all pings.

Bit of a hard bug to figure out as you can't constantly play with your scoreboard showing to check everyones ping and sometimes it's your connection or poor aim

You'd have to record your entire matches and check em; * doing that on console; 5 minutes is the limit per clip
  • Rev0verDrive
    6761 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote:
    Bit of a hard bug to figure out as you can't constantly play with your scoreboard showing to check everyones ping and sometimes it's your connection or poor aim

You'd have to record your entire matches and check em; * doing that on console; 5 minutes is the limit per clip

The developer's tool set gives them the benefit of not having to go through that process. And console is the same as pc. It's written on pc. Xbox is Windows based, PS is Centos based. Not much conversion there.

From what I'm reading from the devs the server simulation isn't spawning bullets. No bullets spawned means no hit reg arbitration. What can cause bullets to not spawn? First thing I'd look at is packet formation/fragmentation issues. For low ping that's hit claim packets (damage data), for high ping it's "whenever I shoot".

Narrowing it down on the low ping side (client->server hitreg) I'd use the visual sequence clues as a guide. I'd look for blood splatter. If there's blood splatter animation, then client has deemed it a hit and should be forming/sending that hit claim to the server. If the server at that point isn't spawning bullets, well then there's an issue with either the packet data or a hang up in one of the read/execute calls to functions/class. This could literally be the wrong decimal position in a float val. The difference between 0.0125 and 0.125 is huge.

If there isn't blood splatter, when there clearly should be, then that's something on the client-side not deeming a hit...thus no hit claims to the server.
  • sirghislandi
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    GoofyMC123 wrote:

On ps4 you can record at least 1 hour, so it shouldn't be a problem recording a match
  • dbibby1988
    421 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Are the following statements true in any way shape or form?

I read on a reddit page that a user was getting the latency variation symbol on bf4 because his mobile phone was connected to his modem the same time as playing bf4 and it affected the WiFi?

Another user on the same reddit post said using power line adapter can reduce the high latency issues he was having? Im tempted to get one for the future because I know having the console/pc hooked up by ethernet cable is more stable than WiFi.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/3lqza4/high_latency_variation/