This Week in Battlefield V

Are Platoons fair?

snakeater418
247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Team balancing seems almost nonexistent in BF1. Especially when it comes to platoons. How is it fair that a party/platoon, I'm talking around 5-10 players average, can join a server together and just keep winning? I get that the game is supposed to encourage teamwork and what not but 95% of the time it's one crap team versus another crap team with the exception of 5 or so players on each team that carry the rest. Why can't there be a game mode specifically for non party/platoon players or one that is exclusive for them that aren't private servers? It sounds a lot like ranting but it's just not fun when to go up against an organized team without one yourself.

I'm not asking for a rant fest or to start an argument, I'm just generally curious if anyone else feels similar.

Comments

• HuwJarz
    3882 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Team balancing seems almost nonexistent in BF1. Especially when it comes to platoons. How is it fair that a party/platoon, I'm talking around 5-10 players average, can join a server together and just keep winning? I get that the game is supposed to encourage teamwork and what not but 95% of the time it's one crap team versus another crap team with the exception of 5 or so players on each team that carry the rest. Why can't there be a game mode specifically for non party/platoon players or one that is exclusive for them that aren't private servers? It sounds a lot like ranting but it's just not fun when to go up against an organized team without one yourself.

I'm not asking for a rant fest or to start an argument, I'm just generally curious if anyone else feels similar.

BF is DESIGNED as a teamwork game that positively rewards teamwork.

A couple of points. A squad only contains 5 players and a party 8. The game rebalances, so it is hard for a platoon to run with more than 5 players in a team for more than a single game.

Prep's comments above are spot on. The game is much more enjoyable when played with mates, in a PSN party or network. What is stopping you setting one up? It's not one crap team against another 95% of time. I see platoon members in numbers in every game I see now.....Why not join a platoon yourself? There are plenty recruiting.

If you are getting trashed and you are on your own, it is likely that you will get balanced to the same team as the platoon every other game, and if not, then you have always have a choice to quit the server.

Why should the game be dumbed down in the way you suggest? Teamwork is a key selling point of the game. I might even be as bold as to suggest you need to play single player.
  • UglyNoah
    1244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Prep768 wrote: »
    Before the platoons were introduced we couldn't really see who was running together - now we can, but that doesn't mean they weren't squadding up before. I'm a fan of platoons as they bring a lot of comradery to the game and indeed bring players together to actually ptfo.

I play with platoon members who relish being on opposite teams although today I relinquished my [tags] so I could squad up with my fellow blueberries. Just today I came up against [insert tag here] and they were doing very well, this didn't mean that I couldn't bag a few of them and enjoy the game for what it is.

Just quit the server if it's not for you - there are plenty out there

Nailed it bro.. platoons gave lonely whimps excuses why they got rekt. I can almost guarantee the person complaining had a platoon on their team as well.

BF should honestly just randomize it and not make it say "you were placed based on skill" cus it makes it look like their team balancing sucks; just take team balancing off entirely
  • sfreeman73
    757 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    What annoys me is when you are in a platoon and/or party and the game insists on putting you in opposite teams which brings me on to something that puzzles me if players from a platoon cap a flag they get their pennant up so what happens if that flag is then taken by players in the same platoon but on the opposite team does the pennant remain?
  • wc138
    1109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    BF games are not for lone-wolf players. If you don't like getting stomped by well organized platoons squading up, you should find a platoon of your own. The only counter to organization is organization.
  • snakeater418
    247 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    As expected, you misunderstood me. I'm asking if platoons throw off the team balancing. You can't very well "balance" a game when both teams are full of platoons or squads. It would probably just be the same parties against each other continuously. That in itself is not a problem since BF is made for teamwork. But it does present a problem for those who can't find a platoon or don't want to join one. I'm only saying that it's not exactly fair to keep getting put on the same team with the same crap players when going up against the same opponents every time because of the lack of balance.

And I realize that the easiest way to deal with this is to just leave the server and is what I usually do, but it's just an opinion.
  • Pogtastic
    291 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I love when I have my platoon up and we have a squad wrecking in pubs. Nothing better than the entire squad being featured on the end of round screen.

Join a platoon. It can't balance when you have a squad of top 1% wrecking shop.
  • HuwJarz
    3882 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I get what you are saying, but when you state:
    ........it does present a problem for those who can't find a platoon or don't want to join one.

Then you lose me. This is a multiplayer game. Designed to reward teamwork. What you are suggesting is that the game mechanics should be tweaked to cater for solo players? Absolutely not.

There is no player that cannot find or set up a platoon. Those that don't want to should really stick to single player games IMO.
  • jmgargoyle
    2463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    HuwJarz wrote: »
    I get what you are saying, but when you state:
    ........it does present a problem for those who can't find a platoon or don't want to join one.

Then you lose me. This is a multiplayer game. Designed to reward teamwork. What you are suggesting is that the game mechanics should be tweaked to cater for solo players? Absolutely not.

There is no player that cannot find or set up a platoon. Those that don't want to should really stick to single player games IMO.

^^^bingo!^^^^
  • HuwJarz
    jmgargoyle wrote: »

^^^bingo!^^^^

JMG. I'm so pleased that differences of opinion on previous topics have been put to one side. Thanks. Good to see there are still some mature minded people here!

• jmgargoyle
    2463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    HuwJarz wrote: »
    jmgargoyle wrote: »

^^^bingo!^^^^

JMG. I'm so pleased that differences of opinion on previous topics have been put to one side. Thanks. Good to see there are still some mature minded people here!

I try not to hold disagreements/grudges. I'm too old for a that! Lol we're all good as far as I'm concerned.... Alot of people don't always agree with me, I'm used to it. Ha ha
  • NLsRene
    203 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    wc138 wrote: »
    BF games are not for lone-wolf players. If you don't like getting stomped by well organized platoons squading up, you should find a platoon of your own. The only counter to organization is organization.

This made me laugh. The teams of these days are all but teamwork. Even if you try to be a teamplayer no one else does. Leave the teamwork drama for something else.

On topic, since servers get empty by 10 players after a map end, i have seen platoons changing teams as soon as the new map started and they were on the opposite team. Now i don't think platoon in overall is unfair, but when people after auto teambalance change side to stay with their buddies i do think it's unfair. Not everyone has the time to play non stop with platoon members. And in that case, platoons don't make it look fair (only when they change after balancing as said above). That would be the only thing with platoons beiing unfair in my eyes. I just wish those so called 'crap teams' would play the objective more, rather standing in a building beiing clueless off what is going on, on the battlefields.
  • Ravenousld3341
    237 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Teamwork is OP. No balance is needed. Just gotta get the randoms to PTFO instead of stat padding all the time. I've personally crushed entire platoons with me and just 4-5 other people that wanted to win, and stick with a strat.

Pretty simple really.

1. Don't let them choke you. If you only have 1 flag... guess what. The enemy is completely focused on that 1 flag.
    2. When getting over run, it's time to split up. Tell your friends to take multiple flags at once.
    3. Do your best to keep the enemy spread thin.
    4. Be unpredictable. So what if you cap/lose a flag. The enemy has to dedicate resources to that. Cap a flag and run to the next, and just keep doing that until your team can break the siege.
  • wc138
    1109 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2017
    NLsRene wrote: »

This made me laugh. The teams of these days are all but teamwork. Even if you try to be a teamplayer no one else does. Leave the teamwork drama for something else.

On topic, since servers get empty by 10 players after a map end, i have seen platoons changing teams as soon as the new map started and they were on the opposite team. Now i don't think platoon in overall is unfair, but when people after auto teambalance change side to stay with their buddies i do think it's unfair. Not everyone has the time to play non stop with platoon members. And in that case, platoons don't make it look fair (only when they change after balancing as said above). That would be the only thing with platoons beiing unfair in my eyes. I just wish those so called 'crap teams' would play the objective more, rather standing in a building beiing clueless off what is going on, on the battlefields.

The "teams of these days?" You mean the random blueberries you spawn with in the random games you play? Apparently you didn't read what I said. At all.
    Post edited by wc138 on
  • McBaffel
    678 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    NLsRene wrote: »

Why is it wrong of the platoon to switch?

What if I told yoo I myself believe it's wrong to balance the game by splitting up platoons.
    First they are a playoon they have chosen to play together not against each other
    Second it gives people reason to suspect faul play yoy know giving uo enemy locations and such.

So no it's not wrong at all imo.
  • FF_smart27
    1969 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well, team stacking isn't good for anyone.

Having 20 platoon members on one side playing against a team of randoms always ends ugly. Very frustrating if you are on the receiving end to the point that servers get empty quikly.
    And honestly, I don't see where the enjoynent lies in pubstomping.

I understand that people want to have fun with their mates but whenever there are more then two full squads of a platoon they should split up between the two teams.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    1841 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I've yet to play in a game where more than 2 squads have been full of (the same) platoon members.
  • wc138
    All in all, I see nothing "unfair" about using teamwork in a game designed for using teamwork. Again, if you feel like you're at a disadvantage because the other team is using teamwork and you aren't, that's your own fault. You have the ability to do the same thing, and absolutely should.

Lone wolves are the bane of the Battlefield community.