I don't need numbers, just colors.

Lordmang4
2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
edited July 2016
It would be nice if I could see how robust the other players' latency / ping speeds are by a simple color indicator by their gamer name. Red is "bad"; Yellow is "warning"; Green is "good".
-
Destiny does this to great effect. I can quickly look at the colors during the match and see if there are lots of "red" players. If there are, then I leave the match and find a highly "green" populated one.
-
It doesn't have to be numbers (I don't need that granularity of detail). Simple colors will suffice.
-
NOTE: This is for consoles.

Comments

• rock1obsta
    3803 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Either way be it colors or numbers, as long as we're able to see who's laggin up the servers, I'm good.
  • Lordmang4
    2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    I think colors would be better suited for consoles.
  • Sir-xer21
    1890 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Maybe YOU are slow and cant handle reading 2-3 digits, but this is silly.

Numbers are better, and even then only a part of the picture. what is "good" for some people is unacceptable for others.
  • Lordmang4
    edited July 2016
    I'm just more objective and efficient than most.
    -
    You'll never convince me that a players' ping/latency number of 100 and 105 will make that much of a difference to anyone (including YOU).
    -
    However, the colors of red, yellow, and green will.
  • Turban_Legend80
    4549 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Lordmang4 wrote: »
    -
    You'll never convince me that a players' ping/latency number of 100 and 105 will make that much of a difference to anyone (including YOU).
    -

Blue > yellow
  • RealDonnyTrump
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Terrible idea OP
  • xSKoRMx
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm more classic PC style oriented, numbers are good for me.
  • Ameeba37
    1753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Good ping --> green numbers
    Medium ping --> yellow numbers
    Bad ping --> red numbers

Problem solved.
  • rock1obsta
    3803 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lordmang4 wrote: »
    -
    -

Lol, Im color blind, your red and green text looks exactly the same color to me.
  • ackers75
    2324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2016
    Give a numerical ping value just like PC has had since day one!

Ping value colours is going backwards
  • xSKoRMx
    ackers75 wrote: »
    Give a numerical ping value just like PC has had since day one!

+1
  • jmz959
    374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The problem is how would you define good/ medium/ bad ping by colours. We wouldn't actually get any idea of what the ping was without numbers. The four bars system is a highly inaccurate way of defining it, whereas numbers give us a really easy way of telling what the ping/ latency of the server is. You must be /really/ slow if you can't read 2-3 digit numbers of you glance at the stats for such a short space of time that it isn't even worth you looking at them, so you shouldn't even bother bringing this up in the first place.
  • ackers75
    2324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Colour's is just silly .
    Even modern warfare had colours for ping.
    I would like to think we have come on a bit from 10/year ago!
  • mmarkweII
    2919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Color coded integer would work the best IMO. But, anything is better than nothing.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2016
    jmz959 wrote: »
    The problem is how would you define good/ medium/ bad ping by colours. We wouldn't actually get any idea of what the ping was without numbers. The four bars system is a highly inaccurate way of defining it, whereas numbers give us a really easy way of telling what the ping/ latency of the server is. You must be /really/ slow if you can't read 2-3 digit numbers of you glance at the stats for such a short space of time that it isn't even worth you looking at them, so you shouldn't even bother bringing this up in the first place.

Showing ping numbers is important, but there needs to be something along side it to tell players what those numbers even mean. Not everyone understands which ping values are reasonable for play, and giving them an alternative means of learning what is good/bad benefits the experience.
    -
    Colours would be a good solution to this, since you can simply colour the numbers themselves. The only issue would be to figure out what colours are appropriate for colour-blind players.
  • BluntObjctOfHate
    725 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just show me the numbers that's all I need
  • xSKoRMx
    I can't believe this actually turned into a discussion... and I was pulled into it.
  • Lordmang4
    edited July 2016
    For consoles, colors are all we really need. I don't care if one gamer has a 100 and another gamer has a 105. Color them both green and we're good to go.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6722 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'm baffled as to why you wouldn't want actual numbers. I mean there's a huge difference between 100 - 170ms. Are you in favor of hiding your actual ping to the server? It seems that way considering what the new ping display is shaping up to be.
  • Lordmang4
    I'm in favor of keeping things simple for console gamers. Give 100ms a GREEN and 170ms a YELLOW. It's simple enough. I'm baffled as to why some think they can use the knowledge of a gamer with 100ms and another with 105ms to good effect.