Kill trading isn't the problem, it's the shoddy netcode

Comments

• TheGM86
    757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    0SiGHT0 wrote: »
    Everyone complaining about kill trading happening so much should really be asking DICE to create a better netcode that was featured in their games from years ago. What we have had from BF4 onward is atrocious!

Problem is there is no such thing as netcode. it's a meaningless buzzword.
  • disposalist
    8335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BenimBenji wrote: »
    It really depends on the day. Sometimes things are golden and then 4 or more killtrades in a game, getting shot through walls and the like.

What's your problem with kill trades? Can you please explain? IMO the trades are fair considering that bullets just don't simply vanish IRL.

Kill trades sorta ruin the experience. Kill trades are fair in a game that is an arcade version of reality. But I would like a game in which a 7.62 round or two knocks you down......not 7. If I get 4 or 5 rounds of 7,62 into you and you reply with one that for reasons of "balance" is 7 times more powerful and we both die...I think that is garbage.
    Which has to do with weapon balance not kill trades. A kill trade happens when one bullet that will kill you is already in flight when you kill it's firer. Doesn't matter how many other bullets got fired or who fired them. The bullet that would kill you doesn't disappear. That is the only change.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    TheGM86 wrote: »
    Everyone complaining about kill trading happening so much should really be asking DICE to create a better netcode that was featured in their games from years ago. What we have had from BF4 onward is atrocious!

It has meaning. It refers to all the networking systems as a whole.
  • 0SiGHT0
    455 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Further prove op has no idea what's he is talking about; nothing has changed in the past 6 months

That's the point of this thread, it was never good to begin with, and it hasn't been good for years.
  • AaronTheZombie
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The only problem I have with kill trades are melee kill trades. They make no sense.
  • disposalist
    8335 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The only problem I have with kill trades are melee kill trades. They make no sense.
    They make more sense to me. If you are both swinging an axe in a blow that's deadly, arms and axes don't disappear any more than bullets do.
  • AaronTheZombie
    577 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They make more sense to me. If you are both swinging an axe in a blow that's deadly, arms and axes don't disappear any more than bullets do.

That isn't how it usually goes. Scenario for last time it happened to me:

I had just gotten into a firefight and have 52 health. I turn a corner and an enemy is 2m away with 100 health running directly toward me. I start shooting my weapon(Hellriegel) and it appears that three of my bullets hit him for 67 damage so he is down to 33 health. But he had made it to me during this time and used his melee(pickaxe) so it began the kill animation on me before I could fire the finishing bullet. However, the instant he melee'd I also pressed the melee button. After it finished the kill animation on me, we both drop dead and I get a kill counting towards my melee(trench mace). This all happens in a span of two seconds. There was no melee weapon out swinging on my part although I have no idea what the enemy saw. I checked the latency directly after I died and I was at 29 ping and he was at 89.
  • disposalist
    edited May 2017
    Latency differences don't make melee trade kills wrong. Latency issues are latency issues. I don't doubt that latency will effect trade kills like they effect non-trade kills.

Sounds ok to me. He puts a pickaxe into your chest as you conk him on the side of the head with a mace. Both dead.
  • TheGM86
    757 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

So in other words. a meaningless buzzword that blankets everything.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    1374 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2017

So in other words. a meaningless buzzword that blankets everything.

So, gameplay is a meaningless word as well? Game engine is another meaningless word?

Both of those merely describe a collection of components as a whole.
  • theONEFORCE
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2017
    I suspect that the actual problem with kill trades is that you don't know if you would have died first or second. Everyone is supremely confident that their bullets were the first to kill and not the ones that would have disappeared. For some really good players I know that is probably the case, but for average players, I'm sure at least half of those trades would have a ended with them dead and their enemy moving on to kill someone else. If they had a popup that said "You died first" or labelled your kill as a "revenge kill" then maybe it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Kind of like how they have a head shot indicator to let you know why you got one shotted in some of the other games in the series.

Personally, I was, and would still be more annoyed when my bullets disappear after death, even though I complain about trades when they happen.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6708 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Engineers themselves use the term blanketly when working on several components. BSD sockets, Packet handling, ack queueing/management, lag compensation (interpolation, extrapolation, rewind), hit reg (client-side, client detect -> server auth, server-side....), simulation rate / tick rate, client sim vs server sim ...
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    edited May 2017
    Engineers themselves use the term blanketly when working on several components. BSD sockets, Packet handling, ack queueing/management, lag compensation (interpolation, extrapolation, rewind), hit reg (client-side, client detect -> server auth, server-side....), simulation rate / tick rate, client sim vs server sim ...

Exactly, and even lag compensation is a bucket of it's own. If we need a word to describe the bigger whole, we make one.

Like, "gameplay engine". I rarely ever see that term be thrown around, because "gameplay" generally suffices. However, with a game like Halo: Anniversary that keeps the original components related to gameplay intact (physics engine, player movement, gunplay), this word suddenly has a tremendous amount of value.
  • Rev0verDrive
    6708 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Exactly, and even lag compensation is a bucket of it's own. If we need a word to describe the bigger whole, we make one.

Like, "gameplay engine". I rarely ever see that term be thrown around, because "gameplay" generally suffices. However, with a game like Halo: Anniversary that keeps the original components related to gameplay intact (physics engine, player movement, gunplay), this word suddenly has a tremendous amount of value.

yeah. Here's one most don't hear about. Math Engine!
  • A_Cool_Gorilla

Oh boy, I wonder when that would ever get used... Wolfram Alpha maybe?
  • Rev0verDrive

We use it a lot when discussing the innards of the Unreal Engine. I'm a huge Tim Sweeney fan.
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    edited May 2017
    Duplicate.
    Post edited by A_Cool_Gorilla on
  • A_Cool_Gorilla
    edited May 2017

We use it a lot when discussing the innards of the Unreal Engine. I'm a huge Tim Sweeney fan.

Oh woah, I didn't expect that a game engine would have a math engine. That does make sense though... I wonder how it relates to the physics engine. One of these days I should read into it. I'm sure there's gotta be plenty of good books about the theory of how they're structured.
    Post edited by A_Cool_Gorilla on
  • TheGM86
    edited May 2017
    So, gameplay is a meaningless word as well? Game engine is another meaningless word?
    Gameplay tells right upfront what it is. Netcode is not a thing. deal with it.
  • ProAssassin2003
    3020 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    DICE doesn't understand Leave Well Enough Alone.