Behemoths, the good, and the not so good.

snakeater418
265 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
Receiving Behemoth support is always a moral boost to any losing team. Even when you think there is no hope for making a come back it's still a nice way to go out guns blazing. That being said I feel like some of them are just laughable. From my personal experiences I have never felt threatened when the enemy team gets a Dreadnaught. It's by far my most disliked behemoth, for the sole fact that it's soooo easy to destroy and offers very little support while it's active. Also it is currently only on 2 maps, Fao Fortress and Empire's Edge. Fao Fortress has very little cover to hide from the ship's barrages, but even then, it seems like it rarely turns the tide. In fact it usually gets sunk before it even gets in close to do any real damage.

The Armored Train on Suez and Giant's Shadow is also poorly suited. The track on Suez is on the far north edge of the map and won't allow it to capture any objectives, or even get remotely close to any for that matter. Giant's Shadow's track goes through at least 3 objectives so it serves a better purpose, but usually doesn't last long since those objectives are usually so very crowded with Assault enemies and not all the turrets can get to them. But on Suez most of the seats are useless unless the enemy decides to go after the train. The only one with a good chance of getting kills is the driver with the mortar.

The Zeppelin is my favorite behemoth so far, (the Char-2 is cool but I have yet to use it any). It offers good defense, when the pilot knows what they're doing at least, and definitely offers plenty of firepower. The pilot has control over dropping bombs that can almost one-shot a tank. Additionally there are 4 auto cannons, 2 on each side of each gondola, and 2 360 degree machine guns on to top, 1 on the nose and the other on the tail for anti-air support. (They work better than you may think against planes). If you manage to get the zeppelin and a competent pilot you can definitely turn the game around. You just gotta take out all the anti-air guns as fast as possible to limit the damage you take, then go and capture the outposts. It also makes for a good strategic spawn point if you have an open seat. To boot it counts as a kill if an enemy plane runs into it and it will kill anything that's below it if it gets destroyed. So watch out if you see it going down in flames. Even if you're in the bunkers on Monta Grappa, it will kill you if it lands on top. Then you can use its burnt remains as bonus cover. So even when it's taken down it serves as a benefit.

Comments

• HailedFanatic
    10 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My favorite have been the char and the armored train so far. Although I find that it depends heavily on who is driving. One of the few problems with the behemoth concept is that if you're on a team that's losing so badly that you receive a behemoth, you're likely to get someone who's very incompetent behind the wheel lol. I played a match on Soissons where the char's driver plunged the thing into the mote around point E... lol
  • UglyNoah
    1244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    So u think they should make them more op than they already are? The team got rewarded for losing, it shouldn't completely turn the score over, but only offer an opportunity that it currently does.
  • snakeater418
    265 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That is true, and I sorta hate that about them. But on a general basis I think the train is far superior than the dreadnaught. Like I stated it's just defenseless against torpedo boats and rarely lasts long enough to make a difference. The Char-2 is intimidating as all crap though. Played a game earlier where it was deployed and I was in a landship. Shot me once and I went down to 25% health and was like, "oh crap."
  • snakeater418
    Behemoths are not op. You just gotta know how to get around to their weaknesses. Not saying they should become op, but the whole point behind them is to give the losing team a chance. But even then, it's super frustrating when you're losing and some fresh from the game store level 5 blueberry grabs the driver's seat and drives your Char into a inescapable position. Or gets in the train and refuses to move it at all. The dreadnaught is the only one I think needs a buff. The rest are pretty much fine except for incompetent operators.
  • HuwJarz
    4014 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I know it would be controversial, but i think there would be a lot to be said for switching the highest ranked player in the behemoth to the driver seat automatically - to increase the chances it will get used to help take flags.
  • snakeater418
    edited May 2017
    I'm sure hat would cause more problems than it would solve. Maybe the top player is good at sniping, but terrible with vehicles.
    Like for instance if the train driver just sat at the spawn point and lobbed mortars without even giving the rest of the turrets anything to shoot at, they could vote to kick him and move the next person in the behemoth to the driver position. Kinda like a squad leader that doesn't mark objectives, you can request an order and if they don't mark one, you'll become the leader.
  • sfreeman73
    757 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Problem with the char if a tank gets in behind it there is nothing it can do about it the main gun can't rotate far enough to shoot it the machine guns are to weak to do any damage and it turns so slowly even a heavy tank has no trouble keeping out of the fire zone
  • snakeater418
    That seems like it would be a good weakness though. Since it can 2 shot any tank. But you're supposed to rely on your teammates to handle things like that if they were to happen. I feel like so many people think the Char can be completely independent and go off on it's own capturing objectives. The fact is is that it's a support weapon. It's made to advance with infantry support and capture points. It's just that very few people see it that way and end up running off and leaving the Char vulnerable.
  • UglyNoah
    1244 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2017
    Ok I hear you bro, but at a good player doing well on suez as a scout (yes objective playing) then randomly going 100 health to 0 in a split second by a behemoth I wasn't even remotely near nor visible by nor even looking at can be quite frustrating. Especially when having a kid ration 40kills 10 deaths then randomly adding a number to deaths by something 100% out of my control because the other team is losing so badly.

I may seem to complain and that's not what I'm trying to get across as much as I want to share behemoths do not need any changes, they are a big enough boost for a losing team as is

Even the ships on fao fortress blow me to shreds randomly the same way
  • PackersDK
    790 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think it's very important to distinguish between game types, and like with planes, I think it's probably not easy for Dice to find a balance in regards to Behemoth impact and how they play on game modes. Obviously I'm thinking Conquest >< Operations.

I mainly play Operations, though I've tried to mix it up a bit lately.

The poo pooed Dreadnought can be devastating on Oil of Empires, with only 2 flags to shoot at, and opposing teams getting 1 (or 2, can't remember) flimsy boats to oppose it with. Think it's 1 if it is on the first sector.

The Airship is on the other hand a sitting duck on Operations with the limited space it has. It can do some damage, but if all AA is manned and the planes go after it instead of infantry, I've seen it go down in less than 2 minuttes.

The train is a bit meh... It can help for sure. On Argonne there's a very limited field of fire with the train being hemmed in by sectors and rugged terrain. On Suez/Sinai the field of fire is great! But so is the distance to the flags.
  • Baasdreumes
    801 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The behemoth destroyer can be a great weapon but it just need some ingame hints how to use it.

It needs to broadside facing land so all guns can hit targets but everytime only its nose turret can hit land... the aa turrets can easy spot targets and destroy torpedo boats. The destroyer needs spotting targets.

Train same story it needs spotting targets.

But the drivers have a mortar or big turret so they dont move the behemoth.. while the rest of the turrets is out of reach..

Then i keep pressing command go go go until they finally move
  • Tullzter
    1163 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    20Pizza88 wrote: »
    The behemoth destroyer can be a great weapon but it just need some ingame hints how to use it.

It needs to broadside facing land so all guns can hit targets but everytime only its nose turret can hit land... the aa turrets can easy spot targets and destroy torpedo boats. The destroyer needs spotting targets.

Train same story it needs spotting targets.

But the drivers have a mortar or big turret so they dont move the behemoth.. while the rest of the turrets is out of reach..

Then i keep pressing command go go go until they finally move

Yeah Behemoths drivers are usually so psyched that they finally got a turn at driving one that they forget about the 6 other players with them..either sit tight and hammer away with the train from a distance or fly the behemoth head on searching to drop bombs on the enemy without any consideration for the players manning the turret..

but to be fair, these huge weapons are encouraged to be used like that
  • sfreeman73
    Agreed the behemoths are team weapons something most drivers seem to forget or ignore I'm not saying I'm good but as an example in the char I only use the big gun for anti armor and to clear buildings the rest of the time I spot infantry and try to position the side guns to best effect I even stop moving so the gunners can actually get an accurate shot off I do the same thing in the main tanks
  • snakeater418
    To clarify I'm mostly referring to Conquest maps. Haven't really played too much Operations. One thing I can't quite figure out is what is the criteria to earn a behemoth? Does the team have to be losing by so much or is it based on a percentage? Seems like it just pops up whenever it feels like it. Like there is no way to predict when you might get one. I've been losing and was going to try and get the armored train early to try and come back so I sat next to it's spawn point for a bit waiting for it, but it didn't spawn, until I had made it almost all the way back to the middle of the map.

Another thing, does the siege artillery on Verdun Heights count as that map's behemoth? Because I know there is one on the other maps that also get the Char. I was under the assumption that the siege gun would be like a field gun and would just have a very limited range or an abyssmally long reload time. But it was never activated even after the enemy got the Char. Just wondering.
  • Tullzter
    1163 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    To clarify I'm mostly referring to Conquest maps. Haven't really played too much Operations. One thing I can't quite figure out is what is the criteria to earn a behemoth? Does the team have to be losing by so much or is it based on a percentage? Seems like it just pops up whenever it feels like it. Like there is no way to predict when you might get one. I've been losing and was going to try and get the armored train early to try and come back so I sat next to it's spawn point for a bit waiting for it, but it didn't spawn, until I had made it almost all the way back to the middle of the map.

Another thing, does the siege artillery on Verdun Heights count as that map's behemoth? Because I know there is one on the other maps that also get the Char. I was under the assumption that the siege gun would be like a field gun and would just have a very limited range or an abyssmally long reload time. But it was never activated even after the enemy got the Char. Just wondering.

it's a sort of a mini behemoth if you will, it'll appear if the enemy has captured all objectives. it has decent range and can do a lot of damage especially with the gas shells
  • snakeater418
    Ah, I was thinking it was something like that. I've only used it on Verdun. Thought it was weird that it had anti-tank shells on a map that had no vehicles at all. I can't remember the map name, but the Siege gun was at one of the objectives, thinking it was Rupture and it was at either D or E.
  • sfreeman73
    Tullzter wrote: »

it's a sort of a mini behemoth if you will, it'll appear if the enemy has captured all objectives. it has decent range and can do a lot of damage especially with the gas shells

Just some clarification here.

The behemoths spawn when a team is losing by 100 points this is the same on all maps and game modes that have a behemoth.

The siege gun on Verdun is a behemoth and becomes available the same time as any other also in Verdun heights and Fort de veux the "behemoth" includes all 4 elites which constantly respawn after each death
  • snakeater418
    I've been on Verdun when we were losing by more than 100 and the siege gun still hadn't activated.
  • sfreeman73
    I've been going over the patch notes and have to put my hands up to being wrong and Tullzter is right it is when the winning team holds all the objectives sorry my bad
  • ThePackman627
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I usually play conquest a lot since Operations keeps putting me in empty servers. From my experience I would agree with you, but I have used the Char 2C.

Airship: I think this is one of the best behemoths, for the reasons you said above, and it looks AWESOME as its coming down! Plus the debris provides nice cover on the ground.

Armored train: I think this one is OK. DICE needs to make it so it can capped more than just one objective so it can "turn the tide" of battle if the team is competent enough. Its an ok behemoth for me.

Dreadnought: I feel like its not on a lot of maps and that might affect my judgement on it. I think if its barrage was more powerful that would be sweet but its just off in the distance so I avoid it.

Char 2C: This is an awesome behemoth. It can move (slowly) throughout the entire map and it devastating to enemy armor.