Assault rifle advice

Coffeecup132
542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
edited June 2017
I would be grateful for suggestions of BF4 assault rifles for me to consider (according to my personal noob preferences, which are as below):

As an extremely bad player, I have always been an assault rifle guy in the 20-30 fps games I like to play.
Most times getting what I want with using 1-shot to 3-shot bursts mid to long range (I also like to countersnipe snipers with the AR).
I like to hip-fire at short range.

The ARs that I like in other games:

CS franchise: AUG, SG551, M4, AK-47
BF1942: pretty much any AR
BF Vietnam: M16A1
BF2: L85A1
BF 2142: Baur H-AR
BFP4F: G3 (with M145)
BFBC2: G3 (with ACOG)
BF3: AN-94 (with ACOG)

I just came back to BF4 after a long time.
2 years ago, AN-94 with Prism used to work well for me (little or no adjustment from ARs above and other games, with similar results).
But after coming back to BF4 recently, even though I am getting hit markers, I find that I need more hits to bring opponents down. Is this a valid observation or its just me imagining things?

Apart from "git gud nub", "shutup and learn to play stupid" etc. etc., any advice on bringing down opponents with less bullets (with ARs sharing somewhat same physics/handling to the AN-94)?

Thank you in advance - advice for my extremely mediocre self is most appreciated.

Comments

• Turban_Legend80
    4463 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    The AN94 and famas are both really good in burst fire mode, which should save you ammo.

There are no bad assault rifles.

The servers have been acting up a bit over the last couple of months (ps4). The hit reg is awful.
  • lCSGOIsBetterl
    239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    SCAR H? It matches your preference that you're looking for. It has high damage per bullet, not much recoil mostly vertical (I can manage the recoil on Console so as a PC player it should be no problem for you) which is easy to handle and it's able to snipe other players and handle its self in CQB.

I'd say it's the closest thing to a AK of the CS franchise in BF4 unless I'm forgetting some DLC AR.

Didn't use the SCAR H much on 360 as I thought it was terrible but after watching RAVIC use it and try it again, I'm loving it. Also, the AN94 seems to be performing the same as ever, maybe not as great as BF3's counterpart but after playing a few rounds against my COD friend that recently got BF4 it was still a great viable weapon. Unless it was god tier two years ago which I don't remember it being, prehaps it was lag or nostalgia clouding your judgement?
  • Coffeecup132
    542 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks @Turban_Legend80 & @Lazise789

Tried the SCAR-H, and yeah, this is one of the ones which I am looking for. Will check out the FAMAS
    Lazise789 wrote: »
    prehaps it was lag or nostalgia clouding your judgement?
    I am beginning to agree with the nostalgia part ...and perhaps I was whining too early as well before getting used again to the BF4 mechanics after a long time.

I realized now that I was probably shooting shorter bursts than my opponents - hence me soaking up more bullets than them. Then just remembered again that unlike in BF2, BF4 allows me to get away with slightly longer bursts. After a coupla rounds, I am beginning to make the AN-94 do what I would like it to do :)
    Post edited by Coffeecup132 on
  • gunhurler
    102 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    if you havent played for a while realize you do actually need more bullets to kill because the damage has been nerfed for all the assualt rifles. for accuracy take the cobra optic, make it larger. and turn it the same color as your hip fire reticule. what this does is fool your brain into pre aiming with your hip fire reticule which then shrinks smaller into your cobra sight. having your hip fire crosshairs seem to magically zoom into your target when you ads is going to help you be more accurate. and gives you the illusion you just locked on to your enemy you can also just hip fire then ads and this helps the bullets find the target better so abuse the aim assist. also spotting helps alot.
  • KaaDaver
    575 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For burst fire use the m16, for full auto accuracy use the ar160. Really cant go wrong there
  • Ameeba37
    1753 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    If I had to choose a mid to long range AR I'd probably go with AUG A3, AR160, M416 or even L85A2. All of them are pretty good all arounders and shouldn't be too hard to control.

And yeah, as said above there isn't really any bad ARs.
  • aseveredfoot
    2445 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hmmm.... you say you're a bad player?

If it's cause you have difficulty with recoil and such, I think I'd recommend around 700 rounds per minute rifle; You won't lose every close quarters fight but it shouldn't limit your range either. Aug A3 is a nice all arounder, if you have the Naval Strike DLC, the AR160 is a GREAT AR to unlock. If you want to go a little faster, the M416 is one of the best in game and the Ace 23 has a 35+1 mag capacity.

If you really want an easy to control AR, I'd go SAR-21, but it's not very good in close quarters unless you can consistently land headshots, because it fires very slowly. The AN-94 is kinda similar, also the QBZ and the base AK-12 are all easy to control.

Hope you find gun that works for you!
  • alucardgr
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    if you are 'noob' and you really want to have a progress(and to be a better player) is better to get used to a low rate of fire weapon like AK-12....You will die often and get frustrated but needs exersice.....
    If you just want the best weapon from day 1 go straight to F2000
  • MogwaiWarrior
    681 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Ameeba37 wrote: »
    If I had to choose a mid to long range AR I'd probably go with AUG A3, AR160, M416 or even L85A2. All of them are pretty good all arounders and shouldn't be too hard to control.

And yeah, as said above there isn't really any bad ARs.

Perfect choices.
  • NapalmGravestone
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    You can use the AN-94 on burst fire which, if you have played BF3, you'll know how fast the ROF is and how little recoil each burst has.2-3 contact bursts, you have yourself a kill
    The SCAR-H is great
    ACE-23 is very easy to handle for Short-Medium distances, hell, even at longer distances that gun can put someone down if you start bursting(Needs experience though)
    AR-150 is AMAZING at all distances should you know the recoil pattern

That's about it
    If you put some work and get used to the slower RPM weapons then you'll be able to do the same things with guns like the AEK or FAMAS