Ways to keep Premium players happy but let the DLC be free.

IIRogueMachineII
1337 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I was thinking what with Battlefront 2 not having Premium and all DLC's free with just cosmetic purchases, BF1 should change now to avoid the inevitable split that will continue to happen with premium only DLC. Personally it wouldn't both me too much if they did give all DLC's free and to compensate all Premium players with Extra Battlepacks per week and other cosmetic changes. Just my opinion and I'm pretty certain the DLC plan is changing for BF1.

Comments

• IIRogueMachineII
    1337 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I won't be playing Battlefront 2 as it doesn't interest me. This was just something I was thinking. I've not had any problems getting TSNP games on any maps or operations. I totally agree that it is very good DLC and In The Name Of The Tsar looks to be on the fantastic side. Just sole was thinking from a community side and for those who struggle to get games on the DLC Maps.
  • llPhantom_Limbll
    6340 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You know maps could be free for all but other premium stuff should stay premium. It will solve the whole "dividing the comminuty" thing and also make premium valuable. Because honestly I don't see a way to keep premium a decent thing and also provide most of the things free.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    I know that's what I was trying to say, I understand why Dice haven't scrapped it. Like I said it won't change for BF1 but for BF 2018 it probably will change. To make DLC's free but have a premium pass it would need to have things worth paying for.
  • AllOutWar76
    2607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I don't want extra battlepacks, that's not why I bought premium. I paid upfront to get a discount on all maps. I don't mind if they change the way premium works for the next title, it's too late for this one though as I paid for what was advertised. If they want to give out TSNP maps for free when Tsar drops, I don't mind but I will be pissed if I had to pay $50 for DLC and everybody gets it free at the same time.
  • DrakeCasanova
    573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Or maybe because it's nearly 8 months since launch people can buy premium.

Premium was revealed 10 MONTHS ago.

Are people in such a desperate finical situation that they can't save $50 in nearly a year but can afford platform, base game, Internet, electricity?

I'm sorry but no. People cry and throw tantrums wanting more content and maps. Dice offers them that and they spit the dummy going "I'm not paying for that!"

I don't get it. You want the content but don't want to pay for it.

* me every single current BF1 player should already have premium. They basically gave it away with the 5 month wait from launch till the first dlc drop. 5 months. That's $10 a month. If you can't manage that you have more serious and pressing concerns then video games.

Fun fact: video games are a hobby. Relatively cheap in the right content and with self control.
    Video games are not a necessity; they aren't a living essential.

I want everyone who won't pay for premium/dlc at the *ing least to clock into work for the next three months and tell their employer not to pay them a cent oh and overtime for that entire time too.

Do that and you'll be entitled to free dlc yeah?

Oh that's right you properly don't even have a job if you can't afford premium after 10 MONTHS.
    this is not about rich Vs poor; it's basic *ing economics

Well said and i agree. I dont understand the thought process that extra content should be free. You paid $60 (or whatever) for a game at launch and you got that game. Anything that they make after that initial game costs them money to develop and so is not free. Simple right?

I do agree that splitting the community is a bummer and i'd actually be fine if they gave away the maps for free but kept the DLC weapons for premium if that would solve the issue. Id still get premium in that case.
  • IIRogueMachineII
    It's £48 to buy the DLC's at £11.99 Each so even deciding not to get premium which is £40 there's still options to have the DLC. Not had too much experience with free DLC games but it would be a safe bet that they won't be to the standard of Battlefield. As I've said I'm pretty much in the centre of it.
  • 19lee78
    430 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    As someone that's paid for premium I say let everyone have it for free.
  • GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I wouldn't buy premium just for guns, as that's all that's left if maps are made free.

Keep it as it is, if you don't want to pay, that's on you.
  • trip1ex
    5301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

I really think the way they do it is dumb. It isn't simpatico with an online multiplayer game.

Maps (and modes) are more fun & valuable the more that can play them.

But if it's true that Battlefront 2 is moving away from the map DLC model then there's hope for the next version of BF.
  • GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    trip1ex wrote: »
    I really think the way they do it is dumb. It isn't simpatico with an online multiplayer game.

But if it's true that Battlefront 2 is moving away from the map DLC model then there's hope for the next version of BF.

DLC content will be crap without it paid for.

Would you prefer a high quality DLC or a shoddy free one?

It's a no brainer imo.
  • AllOutWar76
    2607 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    GRIZZ11283 wrote: »

It's a no brainer imo.

Agreed. You know all those clueless people who say every game is a reskin of the previous game? Well, take money out of the developers pockets and we will know the true meaning of reskinned.
  • trip1ex
    5301 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited June 2017

It's a no brainer imo.

Yeah it's a no brainer if you assume the worst.

I assume they can find another way to make their money.

1) They can still charge for early access. You want to be the first play the maps for the first ~60 days? You gotta pay.

2) There is incentive to make new maps good to attract new buyers. The more content you add to the main game the more worth it the game becomes and the less players will be able to resist purchasing it. This will let them keep the average price of the game higher in the long run.

3) There is also incentive to make the maps good to keep current players coming back so EA can sell them more stuff. They can sell them on cosmetics, avatars, first in line, weapons, vehicles, etc in addition to early access. They can package much of this in premium still. They can include fewer weapons/vehicles in the main game and move those to premium.

4) They could start the game out at $70 to begin with and then still sell extra stuff.

• grrlpurple
    843 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't think it's viable to alter the premium model for BF1 but definitely needs a rethink for the next incarnation.

Free maps to keep the player Base together with premium offering new weapons, gadgets, vehicles and customisation would perhaps be an option. The TSNP weapons are so well balanced that they haven't been a 'pay to win' scenario so this could be achieved.
  • HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have so far played 350+ hours in BF1. I paid 80 dollars for the game plus premium. That is probably the cheapest form of entertainment one could hope for.

I know @HardAimedKid always makes this point. If you can't afford to pay 50 dollars for many hundreds of hours of gameplay on 30+ maps, then you probably shouldn't be spending the first 60 it costs to but the game in the first place.

Here is the problem. People complained about not being able to play the maps for free, so they added premium friends. Then people started complaining about not getting xp (pointless after rank 10 in classes). If DICE gave people XP, they would complain about not having the weapons for free.

The quality of DLC that DICE has planned for this title warrants the relatively cheap price tag IMO.

Exactly. Then after they get their weapons they'll complain about something else, it's just the way it goes.
  • GRIZZ11283

It's a no brainer imo.

Yeah it's a no brainer if you assume the worst.

I assume they can find another way to make their money.

1) They can still charge for early access. You want to be the first play the maps for the first ~60 days? You gotta pay.

2) There is incentive to make new maps good to attract new buyers. The more content you add to the main game the more worth it the game becomes and the less players will be able to resist purchasing it. This will let them keep the average price of the game higher in the long run.

3) There is also incentive to make the maps good to keep current players coming back so EA can sell them more stuff. They can sell them on cosmetics, avatars, first in line, weapons, vehicles, etc in addition to early access. They can package much of this in premium still. They can include fewer weapons/vehicles in the main game and move those to premium.

4) They could start the game out at $70 to begin with and then still sell extra stuff.

I personally wouldn't pay extra for weapons, customisable options or early access.

I bought premium for the extra maps, they would lose revenue from me if it was that way and I'm sure alot of other people would be the same.

If you think people who dont buy the dlc would pay for the extras tou suggest, then i dont know what to say.
    They already complain about having to buy DLC, that would not change.
    Your suggestion just takes away revenue, which leads to a lesser quality product.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3766 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If they get rid of premium and make DLC "free", I can almost guarantee the base price of the game will be increased to make up for it. When that happens, the forum will be littered with cryhard threads about the game being too expensive or others not being able to afford the game at all... Or "had we known you would do this, we should have kept the old premium system."
    crabman169 wrote: »
    I want everyone who won't pay for premium/dlc at the *ing least to clock into work for the next three months and tell their employer not to pay them a cent oh and overtime for that entire time too.

Do that and you'll be entitled to free dlc yeah?

Exactly!
  • AllOutWar76

This leaves us with the same problem we already have... a split playerbase. I thought the whole goal behind making it free in the first place was to keep the playerbase together. At least that's the only reason I have seen people posting as to why it should be free.

I do agree with you though, there are tons of ways to generate revenue to cover the cost they would lose out on premium. I just think early access kind of defeats the whole point in the first place.