Having trouble accessing the forums? Try logging out of the forums completely - clear cache, cookies, and temp files - then restart the browser and log in. Thanks!

[Suggestion] New elite class: The commander

Dinamythe2512
193 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited July 13
tumblr_m6k80rKca21ry01pgo1_1280.png

The commander would carry a very supportive role for his teammates.

First of all, all the team is able to spawn on him and he has the ability to give orders that are even more rewarded in points for those who execute them than the standard squad leaders.

He has a set of 3 gadgets meant to help his team on a large scale.

He is the least resistant of all the elite class, but he has a normal movement speed. (compared to the reduced one for the flame trooper and sentries)

GADGET 1: The whistle

540x360.jpg

When using the whistle, the commander leads a charge. The same soundtrack that we hear when capturing a sector in operations procs.
(The whistle sound followed by the screamings of soldiers charging).

The charge enhance the power in close quarters of all soldiers in a radius of 20m for 25 seconds. The radius center follows the commander so if you enter the radius effect lately you will still benefit from the effect but with the time left before it ends.

The effects of the charge:
  • Double the damage of melee weapons and sidearms.
  • Increase movement speed by 20% while sprinting (also affects bayonet charge)
  • Reduce incoming damage
  • Reduce drastically bayonet charge cooldown

So, you can almost only benefit of the effect of the charge when you go close to the enemies. The main weapon has no increased effects to avoid those who stay far from the fight ("camping") to benefit from it. The objective is really to make all teammates nearby progress like a whole on the battlefield to capture objectives.

The cooldown on this gadget is over 1 minute. It must be used wisely.

The commander also benefit from those effects, and becoming with the damage reduction slightly more resistant than the tank hunter.

GADGET 2: The binoculars

310728290413.jpg

Allows the commander to scan the battlefield and spot enemies by outlining them in red like the periscope.

But it's principal role is the ability to call in an artillery strike onto the position aimed at on activation.

A powerful artilley barrage that will shred some enemies in a large area. Ideally to use right before a charge to maximize it's effectiveness.

The cooldown is 40 seconds.

GADGET 3: The great spot flare

flare.jpg

More efficient than the normal spot flare, it's also brighter and has a more reddish and thick smoke colour.

The difference with the normal spot flare is that instead of spotting enemies on the map, it also 3D-spots them on the battlefield. Giving even more information to the teammates before a charge.

It can be ressuplied with ammo crates but with a very long delay and can only carry one at once.

Despite all this scout-like gadgets, the commander is very effective at close range as he carries weapons that allow him to deal massive damage in close quarters with the most powerful revolver in the game.

Although he has a bolt action rifle that causes massive damage on a very wide range, so he is also useful at medium to long range.

So let's take a look at his arsenal of weapons:

MELEE WEAPON: The saber

latest?cb=20170316011018

The same characteristics as the saber from the cavalry. With more decorations.

MAIN WEAPON: The Springfield model 1873

SpringfieldModel1873Carbine.jpg

Must be fed one bullet at once. (Like the tankgewher, but don't need to be prone). It has a very wide sweet spot from 20m up to 100m. So it allows to OHK infantry in almost every situation if you aim at torso or head between 20m et 100m. 415 m/s nozzle velocity.

SECONDARY WEAPON: The colt 1917

10075146_2.jpg?v=8CD69F7F66EC0C0

Does a massive amount of damage at close range. Up to about 70 damage when the target is closer than 15m.

6 bullets, long reload time.

Role description:

As you probably already can guess it, it's role is to gather as much ally infantry around him (with his all-team deployment feature). He will provide a very good information on a specific area with his great spot flare and can also already do some damage to infantry before the charge with an artillery strike (Or when defending a flag to slow down enemy progression).

Once his men are ready, he can whistle to lead a charge, where all infantry around him goes on beast mode and get out of the trenches to face the enemy in close quarters.

The commander should still stay somewhat in retreat as his main weapon allows him to clean good and as his presence is very important to the team (If he dies, it cancels the charge) he should avoid death at all cost as he is not that much resistant. He also rely quite much on his teammates to provide him health packs and ammo as he doesn't have his own. So the interaction between the commander and his team is the key to victory.

We could say with some certitude that a good commander who has the ability to rally his soldiers is probably the worst threat as an elite class.

It will be an elite class with a high skill cap. As on his own he is probably weaker than every other elite class.

And he got a great moustache.

Comments

• DaMutha1
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Call it the Haig and I'm in
  • V2Face
    1363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    That would be cool but that's too creative for devs to appreciate sorry, OP.
  • Dinamythe2512
    I don't care of DICE, they won't implement it in the game anyway. I just want to check if I share the same point of view of what a good elite class could looke like with the community ;)
  • DaMutha1
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Wonder Woman of course
  • l_water_l
    681 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think a good hero unit for a new map would be an entire squad of 3-4 soldiers that spawn together. They would all have body armor that makes them super resilient however would only be armed with like an mp18 or one of the weaker medic weapons. No grenades, no secondary.

http%3A%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F11%2F1200s-2.jpg
  • Dinamythe2512
    I'll prefer a commander that pushes his team to reveal the true heroes ;)
  • ThePunisher_be
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Why would he carry a percussion cap, (muzzleloading?) carbine-musket in 1914-1918?

Just give him the pistol (varying with the nation he belongs to, so a Webley for the British,...).
  • Ram1c
    2780 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Boosting classes is not something that belongs in bf, something like this belongs in overwatch.
  • Dinamythe2512
    Ram1c wrote: »
    Boosting classes is not something that belongs in bf, something like this belongs in overwatch.

I'll prefer saying TF2. Which is fun to play, such mechanics should be appreciated in BF1 as well as long as it's not cartoonish. A boost in moral seems appropriate and realistic.
  • Dinamythe2512
    Why would he carry a percussion cap, (muzzleloading?) carbine-musket in 1914-1918?

Just give him the pistol (varying with the nation he belongs to, so a Webley for the British,...).

Because he's an old colonel who's father fought in the civil war that know how you win a war of course !
  • ThePunisher_be
    160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

Because he's an old colonel who's father fought in the civil war that know how you win a war of course !

Of course, why didn't I think of that myself? :wink:

A Dreyse Zundnadelgewehr for the German officer then.
  • Dinamythe2512
    edited July 14
    Yes the uniform (and weapon in a certain extend) could be adapted for each nation :)

The zundnadelgewehr seems very nice
  • Dinamythe2512
    https://youtu.be/4zBQGY_p4QM?t=57s

To give you a relatable reference about it ;)
  • Astr0damus
    91 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    When one is squad leader, and someone is not playing the objective, the squad leader should be able to make a player on his squad do 20 push-ups.
    We're going for realism right?
  • hemiashby
    18 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Having a commander would be awesome i reckon.
    The commander could be in a high flying vehicle or mountain range so he can see over the battle.
    He could direct squads to objectives.
    Pigeons could be dispatched for requests/Orders
    Squad leaders could call in for a flare/supply drops that would be like the UAV.
    Im not sure about artillery because thats what behemoths do.
    The commander could send out recon planes or something that could be like the scan.
    Those planes could be shot down so there wont be reporrs on enemy positions
    Dont know what the cooldowns or delays between orders should be.
    Im not keen on commanders being in direct battle because they would just be another elite soldier and negate the purpose.
    Heaps of **** in bf2 were commanders and used it for themselves or not at all
  • blackaddR
    303 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I like it. I would say though, call it ‘The Officer’ class. With the binoculars, the officer can call in artillery strikes when looking through
  • Dinamythe2512
    I have little knowledge about ranks during WW1 so maybe officer could be more appropriated with his role. :) I like the fact it could be played on the battlefield still, like a regular elite class and to distinguish it from BF2.
  • ShadowBlitzer0
    277 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think it would be a great idea to have an officer elite class. 4 Spot flares to spot the whole area with the added option to shout orders to the whole team not just your squad with of course more health and grenades. I would maybe just give it a pistol. But sadly I don't think it'll happen.
  • Dinamythe2512
    Yes the option to give global orders should be added too ;)

I suggest his grenades to be fumigenes in order to cover their charge. Simple frags for more power could do the trick too.
  • fvliert
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    i like the idea, the whistle thing not so much...

just 1 or 2 artillery strikes and a periscope will work just fine.