Weekly Debrief

BF1 Ports open help

buckiebull
84 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
How do i know if my Ports are configured properly for an Asus router and what should it be as I always seem to be round about 55 ping but my cousin who also plays has a ping of 27

Comments

• Stormfirebird
    710 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Your router should automatically open all the necessary ports by default, if it doesn't you wouldnt be able to connect to the game. Port forwarding has nothing to do with ping.
    Is your cousin even on the same network?
  • buckiebull
    84 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    yes he is and lives not far from me!
  • Stormfirebird
    710 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Same network or just the same ISP? Because thats something completely different.
    I suggest you do this with whatever server is closest to you https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_live/wiki/guides/connectivity
    How do you connect to your router?
  • EA_Alexander
    542 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    As mentioned above, port forwarding will not improve your ping in any way.

Quality of your connection is based around several things, not only your location. Your friend might have a different ISP, different download/upload speeds or better equipment.

I would ask your ISP about how you can improve your current connection. It could be a simple change: going wired connection instead of wireless.
  • buckiebull
    Thank you Stormfirebird
    I think there maybe a connection issue from my isp as I did a speed test and my ping was 50 again which I know is far too high as my ping used to be roundabout 27
  • buckiebull
    edited July 2017
    Hi, EA_Alexander
    my cousin has the same isp and lives about 300 mtrs from me, also I have a different package deal where mine is suppose to be better and faster than his plus I live right across the road from the exchange!
    I noticed that my ping went up a couple of months ago and my speed dropped from 29 meg to 40 meg then my router died so I bought another one same make & model as it has a better wifi connection that the isp rubbish router!
    Post edited by buckiebull on
  • smokethadro
    356 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Dam you use wifi for gaming?

Honestly a ping from 27 to 50 isn't that bad. Mine jumps around from 30 to the high 40s sometimes. I have 30 mb service fyi.

But if your speed tests are constantly less than 40, make sure you test during off peak times as well, i would complain to your isp. You're paying for 40 but not getting it. This is of course if you're testing from a pc. Console speed tests aren't as accurate, i beleive anyway. And your isp will tell you the same thing.

If you can, test the connection from a wired pc to really see what you're getting. If it tesrs around 40, it could mean a bad router, your console is too far away, or a number of other issues.

GL
  • EA_Alexander
    542 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    edited July 2017
    buckiebull wrote: »
    Hi, EA_Alexander
    my cousin has the same isp and lives about 300 mtrs from me, also I have a different package deal where mine is suppose to be better and faster than his plus I live right across the road from the exchange!
    I noticed that my ping went up a couple of months ago and my speed dropped from 29 meg to 40 meg then my router died so I bought another one same make & model as it has a better wifi connection that the isp rubbish router!

Then I would advise trying wired connection instead of WiFi. Ping is generally lower on wired connections.

Additionally, as mentioned above, test your connection by doing a trace-route. Сheck this: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic#testconnection. Run UOTrace and interpret results by following all the instructions and explanations in the article.
  • Brixta3000
    35 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yeah run a UOTrace to easo.ea.com. THis helped me discover my ping spike problem. My Hop 2 had an IP of 0.0.0.0 and was losing causing issue, see if you have Hop 1 or 2 showing 0.0.0.0. It turns out for me the actual router was to blae so I connected the old router and no problems since and the hop now has an IP.\