Madsen MG Trench v Plane

Comments

• disposalist
    8746 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    It *is* CTE... Post on the CTE feedback forum that you think it's a bad idea. Maybe it won't get to release.
    Ill post there but i don't know where that forum is
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/categories/cte-general-feedback
    Is it only for CTE members? I can't seem to start a thread there
    I don't think so - I just get a New Discussion button, no problem.

Anyway, what did you think of my vid? I really don't think this mission is as big a deal as it might seem...
  • Zooboid
    926 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It *is* CTE... Post on the CTE feedback forum that you think it's a bad idea. Maybe it won't get to release.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_live/&ved=0ahUKEwiJrqH-_avVAhUNKFAKHTxED8MQFggeMAA&usg=AFQjCNED0kFiI89eYwYaaJRjeGoNGmfFsg
  • Zooboid
    926 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just use the feedback form in there. I'm not a cte member either but I was able to leave feedback.
  • Led0rus
    105 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    So I thought I'd try it...

Looks like you got lucky. The planes were being attacked by someone else and you managed to steal their kills. Tracking a plane is a lot easier on PC too, I'm on PS4 and I doubt I'd be able to track it like that.
  • disposalist
    8746 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Led0rus wrote: »
    Looks like you got lucky. The planes were being attacked by someone else and you managed to steal their kills. Tracking a plane is a lot easier on PC too, I'm on PS4 and I doubt I'd be able to track it like that.
    I'm not sure it counts as luck when you expressly go to a particular map and try a particular theory and it works in 5 minutes. There's constant low-level dogfighting in Monte Grappa and lots of AA to damage and distract them. It's just a matter of time, I think - and not much of that either.

I can imagine it will be hard*er* on console, but *hard*?

I think this is going to be like the "Destroy 5 Vehicles with K-Bullets" medal that everyone got upset about. Until they did it and realised it wasn't so bad.
  • EmothicVH
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    EmothicVH wrote: »
    The only way I see of being able to do this challenge is camp next to an AA gun. Heavily damage the enemy plane as it flies by, then quickly jump off of the AA and get the kill with the LMG. Only way I see at this being possible other then just having sheer luck.
    Did you miss my vid? It took 5 minutes.

Yes I seen the video. Now I don't know what platform you play on, but I play on console. And console pilots don't really go after each other. You got that kill because a friendly aircraft severely damaged the enemy aircraft, of which you were only lucky with the vehicle destoryed. But on console, at least for Xbox, aircraft users only fly anti-infantry aircraft and only go for infantry. Our Manta Grapa (however you spell the map) is only flown by bombers or ground attack aircraft.
  • disposalist
    edited July 2017
    The only way I see of being able to do this challenge is camp next to an AA gun. Heavily damage the enemy plane as it flies by, then quickly jump off of the AA and get the kill with the LMG. Only way I see at this being possible other then just having sheer luck.
    Did you miss my vid? It took 5 minutes.
    Yes I seen the video. Now I don't know what platform you play on, but I play on console. And console pilots don't really go after each other. You got that kill because a friendly aircraft severely damaged the enemy aircraft, of which you were only lucky with the vehicle destoryed. But on console, at least for Xbox, aircraft users only fly anti-infantry aircraft and only go for infantry. Our Manta Grapa (however you spell the map) is only flown by bombers or ground attack aircraft.
    I'm on PC... Well, wow, that sucks. Why wouldn't console pilots be dogfighting? It's possibly/probably easier to fly planes with a joystick...

Anyway, bombers should be doable on console?

I did knock down a bomber on that game too, though - one that had been damaged by AA - but for some reason I didn't get the "Destroy" just the "Disable" so I didn't put it in the vid. Bombers are surely slow enough (and low enough in Monte Grappa) to get even on console? If you actually coordinate with someone on AA it should be easy, but just picking at them when you see AA damaging them is all it should take.

As for being lucky to get two damaged planes - I'm a rank 50 pilot and, in my humble opinion, a lot of pilots bail when badly damaged and the attacking pilot disengages. LMG can finish them off.

Either way - it might well be a bit harder on console, but is it really going to be very hard?
  • DrakeCasanova
    573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited July 2017
    It's a troll job by dice either way. I've always thought assignments were bs, but to make an assignment like that is ridiculous.

Yep. Although i'd rather just have the weapons without jumping through hoops, I dont mind assignments in general. Get 300 kills with the Martini? Ok fine, it will take me a month but at least i can play the game normally. Silly assignments like this are just annoying. Im going to spend all game looking up at planes and not taking objectives.
  • EmothicVH
    973 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I'm on PC... Well, wow, that sucks. Why wouldn't console pilots be dogfighting? It's possibly/probably easier to fly planes with a joystick...

I did knock down a bomber on that game too, though - one that had been damaged by AA - but for some reason I didn't get the "Destroy" just the "Disable" so I didn't put it in the vid. Bombers are surely slow enough (and low enough in Monte Grappa) to get even on console? If you actually coordinate with someone on AA it should be easy, but just picking at them when you see AA damaging them is all it should take.

As for being lucky to get two damaged planes - I'm a rank 50 pilot and, in my humble opinion, a lot of pilots bail when badly damaged and the attacking pilot disengages. LMG can finish them off.

Either way - it might well be a bit harder on console, but is it really going to be very hard?

Pilots don't go after each other because they are using Infantry attack based aircraft. Such as the Bomber and the Attack aircraft. I haven't seen a fighter in the game for a long time other then the ground attack fighter with the darts. Also there are more kills/points when going after infantry then enemy aircraft. Granted pilots will go after each other, just some what rarely. Most would rather spawn in bombers on both teams and just avoid each other.

AA isn't hardly used as well. It is used, just not to the extent it should be. Many matches I see aircraft fly unapposed. Really some matches aircraft will go down due to pilot error and not from enemy engagement.
    As well as console players don't have the ability to corridinate with other players, and because of that no one actually tries to corridinate. The only time players will corridinate is if they are in a party chat with friends or a platoon. Other then that everyone, including those in squads, are just playing solo.
  • disposalist
    It's a troll job by dice either way. I've always thought assignments were bs, but to make an assignment like that is ridiculous.

Yep. Although i'd rather just have the weapons without jumping through hoops, I dont mind assignments in general. Get 300 kills with the Martini? Ok fine, it will take me a month but at least i can play the game normally. Silly assignments like this are just annoying. Im going to spend all game looking up at planes and not taking objectives.
    I understand, but there is the aspect that "silly assignments" like this are used to show people something they do not know about and might find useful. I get that some just don't enjoy these things, but you're ok with 300 Martini kills and not 2 planes with a Madsen Trench?

There have been a few games where just 2 or 3 LMG users have totally kept the skies clear, at least from me, because if you go near them you get 20x3 damage real quick.

Basically, firing your LMG at an airplane is not a waste of time and you don't have to spend "all game looking up at planes" just help out when you've killed your enemies and are taking that flag down.
  • disposalist

Pilots don't go after each other because they are using Infantry attack based aircraft. Such as the Bomber and the Attack aircraft. I haven't seen a fighter in the game for a long time other then the ground attack fighter with the darts. Also there are more kills/points when going after infantry then enemy aircraft. Granted pilots will go after each other, just some what rarely. Most would rather spawn in bombers on both teams and just avoid each other.

AA isn't hardly used as well. It is used, just not to the extent it should be. Many matches I see aircraft fly unapposed. Really some matches aircraft will go down due to pilot error and not from enemy engagement.
    As well as console players don't have the ability to corridinate with other players, and because of that no one actually tries to corridinate. The only time players will corridinate is if they are in a party chat with friends or a platoon. Other then that everyone, including those in squads, are just playing solo.
    Wow. That sucks. I don't know what to say if that's what happening on console. Very different to PC. The effectiveness of FPs and APs against ground troops has been reduced and bombers are easy targets. If pilots on console are flying around unopposed, that just plain sucks.

Difficult to balance/tailor the game for that kind of player behaviour though. Don't have missions involving destroying planes because console players don't really do that? Would be a shame, but I see why you don't like the mission, then.
  • HardAimedKid
    11386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/categories/cte-general-feedback
    Is it only for CTE members? I can't seem to start a thread there
    I don't think so - I just get a New Discussion button, no problem.

Anyway, what did you think of my vid? I really don't think this mission is as big a deal as it might seem...

You did it quick and easy yes, it really is a challenge that will boil down to circumstance, the shots you placed were good but it was lucky, lucky in the near that you have pilots in the air pounding the people you were shooting, you went through what, 3 mags? That seems pretty fortunate to me lol. I know it isn't impossible. I'm sure your video will give hope to some at least lol
  • OrionPherrit
    458 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It may be help to try to spawn on top of the Badyear Blimp and defend it from enemy aeroplanes. All I know is I've tried every flavor of full-auto gun against aircraft to knock only a few points off them. I'm typically the only guy on X1 who does this, after I stopped using fixed archie emplacements because A: they often sport a busted barrel, and B: some sniper has his sights lined up on it waiting for the next sucker. Firing my LMG in the air will also give away my position and attract snipers. Not to mention not contributing to PTDO.

I don't need EA/Dice to give me a history lesson about machine gun effectiveness on planes; I already know that. WW1 aircraft were just flimsy frames covered in canvas & some wood, so a .30 SAW was all you needed to bring it down, assuming it hasn't been nerfed by game developers.

Maybe I'll just be satisfied with the suppressive version of the Parabellum which is easier to attain. I thought it was only used by aircraft after all, rather than infantry.
  • BaconRebellion
    2465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

I understand, but there is the aspect that "silly assignments" like this are used to show people something they do not know about and might find useful. I get that some just don't enjoy these things, but you're ok with 300 Martini kills and not 2 planes with a Madsen Trench?

There have been a few games where just 2 or 3 LMG users have totally kept the skies clear, at least from me, because if you go near them you get 20x3 damage real quick.

Basically, firing your LMG at an airplane is not a waste of time and you don't have to spend "all game looking up at planes" just help out when you've killed your enemies and are taking that flag down.

I probably wouldn't mind if the challenge was to do x amount of damage to enemy aircraft. However on console the challenge of destroying two planes with the trench is going to be very very difficult if not next to impossible ubless you get lucky.
  • disposalist

I probably wouldn't mind if the challenge was to do x amount of damage to enemy aircraft. However on console the challenge of destroying two planes with the trench is going to be very very difficult if not next to impossible ubless you get lucky.
    That would probably have been a more friendly requirement, true.
  • Captain_DarIing
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

What have you been smoking? In my hundreds of hours of playtime on conquest publics, I've never seen that happen.
  • x_Undaunted_x
    3766 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

What have you been smoking? In my hundreds of hours of playtime on conquest publics, I've never seen that happen.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't been done. Based on your post history, I doubt you would even admit to seeing it if you did.

I've seen it and even experienced and done it. It's not something that happens often, but it's not ultra rare either.
  • xenome111
    3064 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Atleast it's going to be a nightmare for the pilots when everyone will try shoot them down.
  • Malevolencedance
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The Madson MG is probably the second worst choice for taking down planes. First being the BAR.
    Who exactly had this idea again.
  • A7XOGG
    229 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

There ya go, you got video proof people are just complaining to complain.