Fix for Random Stuttering in BF1 after Creators Update

okot3
34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited August 2017
i did all what saying on this forum, nvidia and on other sites, but no one method does not help me, and recently on geforce forum, people find problem, it's Creators Update and new driver nvidia 38x.xx.

I reinstall my windows to anviersary update and o god, no more stutters in games and bf1!, If you dont wanna reinstall windows, wait patches from microsoft and nvidia, but i dont how much y need wait is

guide where get windows and how reinstall wrote man on geforce forum "barlonemaximus":

1. Download win10 1607 built from this link (select your language): http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-download-build-14393-0/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-iso-download-standard/
  2. Use RUFUS (search it on google) to create a bootable USB with the iso you downloaded (remember to set UEFI and GPT in rufus). If you don't understand what is UEFI and GPT simply search on youtube "how to create a bootable win10 usb with rufus" and just do what they do.
  3. Restart pc, enter in boot options and select your usb drive
  4. At the end of windows installation you will be asked to download and install updates (they ask this just before showing desktop), press SKIP (very important).
  5. Then BLOCK all WINDOWS UPDATES (or cu update will fox you up again). Here you have a guide: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3085136/windows/two-ways-to-control-or-stop-windows-10-updates.html
  6. DOWNLOAD 378 drivers: Go here: https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers
  7. Under "manual driver search" select your OS (win 10 x64 for example), your GPU and your language. Then press "start search" and you will have a list for all nvidia driver versions for your os+gpu. select 378 version, download and install.

P.S If you do a clean windows installation you will lose all your data on the ssd (i'm guessing), so make sure to backup all your data and bla bla bla. Don't worry about windows license, if you have bought your laptop with windows 10 your digital license is linked to your mobo.

Good luck, and, sorry for my english, he so bad. I hope it's help all who have stuttering after update
Post edited by okot3 on

Comments

• NamelessForNow
    1432 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Worked like a charm!!! Thank you for posting this!!! I only got to play one map, since my kids decided to wake up extra early. But it was one of the maps, San Quientin Scar, that always gave me problems. Much appreciated!!!
  • okot3
    34 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Worked like a charm!!! Thank you for posting this!!! I only got to play one map, since my kids decided to wake up extra early. But it was one of the maps, San Quientin Scar, that always gave me problems. Much appreciated!!!

I'm happy for you!
  • GoneKeyboard
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Hopefully Windows Fall Update will fix this issue.
  • NamelessForNow
    1432 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    That's what I was hoping for with the summer update. I won't go back to the creators until I'm forced to.
  • ROTCrazytrain1
    524 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, CTE Member
    are you kidding me.do all that?
  • NamelessForNow
    Is there an easier/faster way to do it?
  • ROTCrazytrain1
    524 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, CTE Member
    ill break my system if i try to do this
  • NamelessForNow
    Watch a few of those youtube videos. It's not that bad. And whatever files were on the old build get saved into a folder on the new one.
  • 0n3Gun3R
    414 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    ill break my system if i try to do this

Thats why you create system backup image before you mess with it so you can restore back if something happens.

Use windows backup restore and select "create system image"

To restore the image use windows 10 install disk/usb and select restore from backup image.

If you don't have windows 10 disk download from Microsoft its free.

edit

It would probably be wise to make backup image if you successfully fix with OP method just in case windows runs updates or somthing and issues come back.
    Much easier to restore your backup image then going though whole process again.

Post edited by 0n3Gun3R on
  • Stormfirebird
    710 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    You should be able to do an inplace upgrade instead of a fresh install.
  • NamelessForNow
    @0n3Gun3R

Before it installs, you're asked it you want upgrades installed. Uncheck and skip
  • 0n3Gun3R
    414 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    @0n3Gun3R

Before it installs, you're asked it you want upgrades installed. Uncheck and skip

unless something changed very recently its never asked me if i wanted upgrades installed.

edit

• JayB33_UK
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited July 2017
    Watch a few of those youtube videos. It's not that bad. And whatever files were on the old build get saved into a folder on the new one.
    It IS that bad. YouTube videos can't always show it at its worst due to the inconsistencies of video encoding and / or refresh rate difference between the video and source. I can say on my 120FPS monitor it is absolutely unbearable and completely disrupts gameplay. If you turn on DX12 mode for NVIDIA cards you can see the stutter that you get at the start of a map yourself. It's like that but all the time even in DX11 mode for all those suffering from the issue.
  • CaptaPraelium
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I set up my PC to record frametimes and graph it on screen. After a few rounds I felt like turning off the graph because it was depressing. It IS that bad.
    Microsoft have forced a "feature" update on me which I never wanted because it only extends their invasion of my privacy, which literally broke my multi-thousand dollar gaming rig. My only option is to rebuild the OS and prevent updates which make it vulnerable to some of the worst malware around right now.
    Devs need to make games for linux already. GIVE US CHOICE!
  • CaptaPraelium
    1676 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Meanwhile, for those who want proof that it is "that bad", do this:

3sVrL5g.png

You can get a nice unintrusive graph in your HUD. When the stutters happen, you'll see a big nasty spike in that graph. Occasionally you'll get the "haircomb" look with a series of spikes in close succession.
  • NamelessForNow
    edited July 2017
    It IS that bad. YouTube videos can't always show it at its worst due to the inconsistencies of video encoding and / or refresh rate difference between the video and source. I can say on my 120FPS monitor it is absolutely unbearable and completely disrupts gameplay. If you turn on DX12 mode for NVIDIA cards you can see the stutter that you get at the start of a map yourself. It's like that but all the time even in DX11 mode for all those suffering from the issue.

Are you talking about the stuttering that's been happening since the June update? My comment was referring to the process described by the OP

@0n3Gun3R

Maybe because I flashed from 1703 to 1607?
    Post edited by NamelessForNow on
  • okot3
    edited August 2017
    i install last nvidia driver on windows 10 1607, all fine, problem in creators update
  • Rainerdaniel
    106 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Anyone tested with 385.12 released today?
  • FISHY12542
    294 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited August 2017

Downloading the driver now, once I get it all done with I'll hop in game and report back.

Specs:
    i5 4690k @3.5 GHz (looking to upgrade the cooler soon so I can OC)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
    16 gigs of DDR3 RAM
    Windows 10 64 bit (on creators update...sadly...**** this update it's caused so many issues)

Edit: Nope. Low settings, 1080p, new driver. 18 FPS on just the damn loading screen.

In game...turned the resolution scale to 85%, and set renderaheadlimit to 4...also limited my FPS to 60...and well..I get drops to 1. I hate microsoft. I could run this game perfectly 2 months ago at over 100 fps with higher settings, but hey at least I can play BF4 still at max settings with 100+ FPS
  • NamelessForNow
    FISHY12542 wrote: »

Downloading the driver now, once I get it all done with I'll hop in game and report back.

Specs:
    i5 4690k @3.5 GHz (looking to upgrade the cooler soon so I can OC)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
    16 gigs of DDR3 RAM
    Windows 10 64 bit (on creators update...sadly...**** this update it's caused so many issues)

Edit: Nope. Low settings, 1080p, new driver. 18 FPS on just the damn loading screen.

In game...turned the resolution scale to 85%, and set renderaheadlimit to 4...also limited my FPS to 60...and well..I get drops to 1. I hate microsoft. I could run this game perfectly 2 months ago at over 100 fps with higher settings, but hey at least I can play BF4 still at max settings with 100+ FPS

Go back to anniversary 1607