A question about electrical circuits and electric shock

battlebhoy
346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
If one stands on a plastic chair and then somehow runs even 500,000 volt through themselves they wont get electrocuted as they are not grounded, the circuit is not closed.

BUT what i dont understand is where does this electricity go? If you touch the high voltage wire etc then that voltage will surely hit your body? I understand if you do the same but are standing on a metal floor the electricity will then be a closed circuit and go through your body..BUT as said where does it go when open?

Birds can sit on electric wires and not get electrocuted but how is this?

Comments

• Lordmang4
    2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    Insulation
  • battlebhoy
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    but where does the electicity go when you touch it as your finger is not insulated..

Surely the electricity would go through your body then hit the rubber shoes etc then end? But it would still be going through your body
  • Professor_Memes
    1139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Battlebhoy is asking the real questions
  • battlebhoy
    real questions in the real world where real answers are needed for real needs!

I want to make my own computer, using materials in my garden..i need to create electricity and such but i dont want electrocuted
  • wsupchris1222444
    962 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    My AutoTech teacher explained it to us like this: electricity is lazy like you guys, it wont travel the distance if there's nothing on the other side. Birds can sit on power lines because they're insulated, the lines are insulated.
  • battlebhoy
    In seriousness though i understand how an insulator works in one way.

Such as if you have a metal screwdriver with a plastic handle, you are not gonna get electrocuted putting it in plug socket as the electricity wont travel through the plastic handle.

BUT if you put your finger in plug socket wet and have plastic shoes on then the electrical signal wont stop until it reaches your shoes right? By this time the electricity has passed through your body.

BUT people are saying the fact yo are wearing plastic shoes will prevent electric shock completely..BUT i dont get that fact...Ill illustrae my point

you see electricity stops as it hits plastic handle and boots, this is correct? But then electricity has still gone through body.

b56bc4bce27aa483418cd1be9ec1e67f.png

• battlebhoy
    My AutoTech teacher explained it to us like this: electricity is lazy like you guys, it wont travel the distance if there's nothing on the other side. Birds can sit on power lines because they're insulated, the lines are insulated.

I see so you are saying the electricity wont even start the journey into the non grounded body.

But i dont get how it can know that its not grounded? And why cant electricity flow through a non grounded person anwyay
  • battlebhoy
    actually i think i get it i just read online.

Its like there is no destination, there is no opposite or weaker charge area to attract the electricity so it has no reason to go through that body...There is no signal or pull from the other end to bring it into the body...So the electricity just bypass it.

Thats kinda cool and mad to think that one could like float in air and grab a power line no probs haha.

But if your finger was wet or something the electricty would then conduct through the water on your body?

So if you had say wet hair it would conduct?
  • HonestSoul333
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Battlebhoy is asking the real questions

stole my line lol
  • Professor_Memes
    1139 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    battlebhoy wrote: »

Such as if you have a metal screwdriver with a plastic handle, you are not gonna get electrocuted putting it in plug socket as the electricity wont travel through the plastic handle.

BUT if you put your finger in plug socket wet and have plastic shoes on then the electrical signal wont stop until it reaches your shoes right? By this time the electricity has passed through your body.

BUT people are saying the fact yo are wearing plastic shoes will prevent electric shock completely..BUT i dont get that fact...Ill illustrae my point

you see electricity stops as it hits plastic handle and boots, this is correct? But then electricity has still gone through body.

You should be an artist
  • HonestSoul333
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

You should be an artist
    For what appears to be MS Paint, it isn't half bad lol
  • Sky_collapsed
    267 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    you've been asking a lot of weird questions lately,, are you up to something Illegal?
  • DrVanNostrand1
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    500kV?
    i'm no electrician,but you will need a very thick rubber shoe to not get electrocuted
  • battlebhoy
    edited July 2016
    yeh mate just grab one of these poles as long as you have some old skool rebook pumps youll be fine.

The pump offers extra protection
  • DrVanNostrand1
    yeh mate just grab one of these poles as long as you have some old skool rebook pumps youll be fine.

are you drunk?
  • DrVanNostrand1
    someone ban this guy before it's too late

• wsupchris1222444
    962 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    someone ban this guy before it's too late

you might have been terrible on the old forums but I'm starting to like you a bit more only because of that grav
  • xRedKitty
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    If one stands on a plastic chair and then somehow runs even 500,000 volt through themselves they wont get electrocuted as they are not grounded
    538.jpg

• Loqtrall
    12468 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    For what appears to be MS Paint, it isn't half bad lol

Nah, son - I made this on MS Paint last year.
    CUf0D8M.jpg