A question about electrical circuits and electric shock

13»

Comments

• DrVanNostrand1
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited July 2016
    but the level keeps dropping each year,no wonder pokemon go is so successful
  • battlebhoy
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    na its true u can generate like 20,000 volts rubbing your feet on the carpet...i dont know how that works? and doesnt harm u? i have nor read up all the science behind it.

True dont play with electircity IRL as most often you are grounded....
  • DrVanNostrand1
    869 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    battlebhoy wrote: »
    na its true u can generate like 20,000 volts rubbing your feet on the carpet..

and dolphins lay eggs
  • battlebhoy
    346 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    http://www.esdsystems.com/whitepapers/wp_carpet.html

here u go sir

If one feels or sees the static shock, it is a minimum of 3000 volts. The potential static charge that can develop from walking on tile floors is greater than 15,000 volts, while carpeted floors can generate in excess of 30,000 volts.

BUt it has low current so it doesnt do damage? thats what im trying to figure out
  • NoshahrCanalsTDM
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Gn3sda wrote: »
    Voltage on its own does not harm you (at least directly. High electromagnetic fields can arguably cause cancer.) Current is harmful and as low as milliamps flowing across your chest can cause you heart to stop beating.

Current = Voltage / Resistance

This is why high voltage is dangerous.
  • battlebhoy
    ok so how come when i generate 20,000 volt rubbing my foot along the carpet i am not injured?

I gain those electons and charge? then if i touch something metal like a door handle the charge releases which can cause a small shock at that point
  • NoshahrCanalsTDM
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    ok so how come when i generate 20,000 volt rubbing my foot along the carpet i am not injured?

I gain those electons and charge? then if i touch something metal like a door handle the charge releases which can cause a small shock at that point

It's because that carpet only has a finite amount of charge (which is measured in coulombs, btw. Current is measured in ampere, and one ampere is equal to one coulomb per second), which isn't enough to keep up a high current for longer than a brief moment--if you can even get that high a current out of it.
    That's it.
  • battlebhoy
    edited July 2016
    I see so its just like a short charge, whereas touching a plug socket is a constant stream of energy.

BUT still once this charge is in the body where is it stored and it only releases via touching conductive objects?

ALso what is the amount of electircal energy? Is it measured in JOules and how does that relate to voltage? Or that is what the coloumbe is?
  • meowpewpewmeow
    303 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    na its true u can generate like 20,000 volts rubbing your feet on the carpet..

and dolphins lay eggs
    and now you know.
    WHY they do.