Can I get a second opinion here?

MayorMarionBarry
1989 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited August 2017
So there is a long running thread in the PS forums concerning hit registration.

One contributor has argued consistently that there are no hit registration issues and it's all on the user end.

They demanded videos, so I gave videos.

In this instance this particular forum user blamed "random bullet deviation" and questioned my internet, since there was no netgraph.

So I posted this video, showing a clear headshot that did not register on a target so close it thereby preempted any "bullet deviation".

So this person blamed the invisible wall glitch, even though you can clearly see bullet debris and dust on the sniper shield behind the rail.

So just for kicks I posted this video with my netgraph on.

So what is the excuse this time?
I missed. But I move too quickly to be able to conclusively prove I missed.
But I missed.
Because the problem is everything except hit registration and bunk netcode.
So, what say you general chat?
Is it random bullet deviation, poor internet, invisible wall glitch, bad aim, or whatever other excuse has been laid down on that thread since I started writing this?

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    3172 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    For some reason I find Martini hitreg very unreliable as sometimes you can't hit the target you're supposed to. Maybe it's about bullet drop I don't know but it exists.
  • Dogwoggle11
    2568 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    I had the same discussion for a little while with this "anonymous user". Apparently, none of us in these forums understand the spread mechanic, according to him. And that's it.

Looks like his box is never empty of excuses.

Just today I had very good examples of poor hitreg and I thought for a moment to record it and post it - but then I realized that some people would still blame me, so why bother.
  • hawcer
    3289 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Is it random bullet deviation, poor internet, invisible wall glitch, bad aim, or whatever other excuse has been laid down on that thread since I started writing this?

I would rule bad aim out.
    If any of the other reasons are to blame, it's because of the crapshoot you get in this game.

IMO, anytime your sights are directly on the target when you fire and you don't get a hit marker, it's a problem with the game, not the shooter.

It's also my opinion that "random deviation" is garbage in BF1 and shouldn't be in a video game. I don't think it's the case here though since the bullets seem to be traveling to POA(point of aim)

Nothing worse than watching your bullet travel through an enemies head and still get a miss.

• ashar_saleem121
    954 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Preaching to the choir my friend.

I had it happening to me all the time but I blamed my own aim until I had video proof and was able to watch it back again

I thought I should have hit him. But maybe I had an invisible wall while overlooking. Even though I got the suppression assist so my first shot must have made it through.

Then I had the following happen

No walls. The guy was lying down for crying out loud. I wasn't that far away. I shot him twice prone. There is definitely something weird going on. That's not just my aim being bad.
  • MurfCr
    857 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I have been getting this more and more the last several days. I don't record videos due to not knowing when it will happen or for how long I will play. Best one was yesterday when I hit a guy with Martini and pulled the Mars to follow up. Dead on chest aim and nothing, guy lays down behind rock. I followed pumped two into him from close range and nothing, well except that sniper shot to the head.
  • BaconRebellion
    2096 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    MurfCr wrote: »
    I have been getting this more and more the last several days. I don't record videos due to not knowing when it will happen or for how long I will play. Best one was yesterday when I hit a guy with Martini and pulled the Mars to follow up. Dead on chest aim and nothing, guy lays down behind rock. I followed pumped two into him from close range and nothing, well except that sniper shot to the head.

Ive noticed it with the 1906 sniper. There have been times i swore i hit my target and nothing.

When i doing my 3rd Under the Skin video, the one clip of the martini henry sniper i had to slow down to see what i thought had happened. I shot a guy from the steps to the parapet on fao to the landing by the back of the fort and somehow killed him despite the crosshairs of the scope being nowhere near him.
  • ashar_saleem121

If you're on console you can record small clips such as the previous 15 minutes. On ps4 just have to hit the share button. So you don't have to actively have recording on. Whenever something happens, just hit share and the last 15 minutes are saved
  • hawcer

If you're on console you can record small clips such as the previous 15 minutes. On ps4 just have to hit the share button. So you don't have to actively have recording on. Whenever something happens, just hit share and the last 15 minutes are saved

or just seconds if you don't need half of the round recorded. on xbone it preset at 15 seconds, I think. I jumped it up to 45 seconds so I don't miss what i wanted to capture.
  • MarxistDictator
    4215 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Anyone who denies this is a huge issue is obviously too big of a scrub to notice the bullets that just enter another dimension when fired (the only logical excuse I can think of for my gubsights to be dead-on some hoser a foot away yet somehow it misses).

Numerous times a game this happens, along with incoming damage coming in blocks that kill you around corners and cover.

The online was spectacularly stable during the spring update, unfortunately OOR players started crying again so they went and made it muddy again. Congrats whiners. Everyone suffers instead of just you...
  • bran1986
    3684 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Ive noticed it with the 1906 sniper. There have been times i swore i hit my target and nothing.

When i doing my 3rd Under the Skin video, the one clip of the martini henry sniper i had to slow down to see what i thought had happened. I shot a guy from the steps to the parapet on fao to the landing by the back of the fort and somehow killed him despite the crosshairs of the scope being nowhere near him.

Those are some great videos, I really enjoy them. On the topic, anybody who says there is no issues is just full of it. Also there isn't any random deviation on your first shot, nor do I think Scout rifles suffer from any kind of random deviation, outside of when being suppressed iirc.
  • Buick72
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited August 2017
    I have seen all of the above a thousand times, and I've heard every accusation or excuse as to it being my fault that bullets don't connect. I've checked my connection, netgraph looks perfect, no packet loss, 15-25 ping, other guy has low ping and shots just go through them, or me.

I've shot other scouts in the head with a 1903 from 10 feet away and had it not hit, hit but do no damage, or hit them in the head and do 80-99 damage. This is all while not being suppressed or shot at at all.

I have personally been shot in the head by a sniper, and had it only do 99 damage to me. Or I get the headshot *ting* and take 0 damage. Every time I check my ping and netgraph to see if there was a hiccup but there almost never is.

This all started when the changes to the "netcode" for high ping players was initiated. There were even a few weeks where the bullets from any gun would just not hit a player no many how matter how many you dumped into him.

Just last night I had a medic light me up with his rifle, he was hitting me, my character and view started bouncing all over the place, but I took no damage and was able to drop him with a headshot. His ping was like, 30-40. Later that round I put an entire 1911 magazine into an enemy at about 5-10 feet away, got 8 hitmarkers, did like, 32 damage.

I find it odd also that a lot of people that say "You can't aim." tend to have accuracy ratings of .10 to .05 and a KD of .50. How would you know what good aim or hit-reg is if you can't hit a target yourself?
  • ashar_saleem121
    hawcer wrote: »

or just seconds if you don't need half of the round recorded. on xbone it preset at 15 seconds, I think. I jumped it up to 45 seconds so I don't miss what i wanted to capture.

I cut it down to 5mins. I can always just trim off what I don't need. I'm actually going to bump it back up to 15 in case I have a particularly good (or bad) round
  • Dogwoggle11
    2568 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For the past month there have been more and more of these threads talking about how hit registration is not always working as it should be.

It would be nice to receive some kind of response from DICE clarifying if they are aware of this or if they have some kind of fix on the way.

Or perhaps there is something already on the CTE, I don't know.
  • hawcer
    For the past month there have been more and more of these threads talking about how hit registration is not always working as it should be.

It would be nice to receive some kind of response from DICE clarifying if they are aware of this or if they have some kind of fix on the way.

Or perhaps there is something already on the CTE, I don't know.

and it's just more than one issue causing it, I think. Sometimes it's high ping targets, sometimes it's packet loss on the users end. sometimes it's a random single hit don't count( scout and medic class), sometimes there are no signs of any issues, but none, zip, zero bullets count as a hit on anyone.

Tanks have issues and infantry have issues... I'm not sure if it is also in planes, sentries, mounted guns, or cavalry
  • bartron67
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've run into this too, as a Medic with a Sweeper rifle. Sometimes, it's as bad as the OP's 2nd video. I call it the "Blanks bug" because it really does seem as though my character is firing blanks. IMO, it's a bug. I can't imagine DICE actually wants that kind of behaviour.

BTW, do we really need to hit the enemy to get suppression points ? My understanding is that you just have to fire X number of bullets within a certain distance from the enemy to get suppression points, and that's why you can get suppression points and kill-assist points at the same time when that one enemy is killed.
  • hawcer
    bartron67 wrote: »
    BTW, do we really need to hit the enemy to get suppression points ? My understanding is that you just have to fire X number of bullets within a certain distance from the enemy to get suppression points, and that's why you can get suppression points and kill-assist points at the same time when that one enemy is killed.

to me it seems like suppression only works when you miss. Shooting a guy in the face doesn't seem to suppress them one bit.

• bartron67
    12 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

to me it seems like suppression only works when you miss. Shooting a guy in the face doesn't seem to suppress them one bit.

I was referring to the case where you fire several bullets at an enemy, and some of them hit and some of them just miss. In that case, the ones that hit will earn you kill-assist points, and the ones that just missed will earn you suppression-assist points.
  • Buick72
    118 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Hitting the enemy doesn't suppress. Missing them does. This is why if you're in a sniper duel and you shoot the enemy, but don't kill him, and he misses you and suppresses you... He gets a free accurate shot while you get a nice case of suppression to hinder your follow up shot.
  • ashar_saleem121
    Buick72 wrote: »

Hitting the enemy doesn't suppress. Missing them does. This is why if you're in a sniper duel and you shoot the enemy, but don't kill him, and he misses you and suppresses you... He gets a free accurate shot while you get a nice case of suppression to hinder your follow up shot.

Is this real? So getting buzzed by bullets suppresses me while a large caliber shot to the chest doesn't suppress him. Doesnt make his hands a little shaky?