Are behemoths weak or is it the players fault?

Comments

• Captain_DarIing
    1425 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Airship drivers often lead it into AA fire. Behemoth drivers should be votekicked out.
  • Foddeur
    4 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Bit of a mix, really. Once you know the location of the parts that can be damaged on a Behemoth, it can be stupidly easy to deal a lot of damage to it in a relatively short amount of time - particularly on the Airship, and noticeably on the Dreadnought.

However, players are also plenty at fault; both drivers and gunners. Drivers charging headlong into danger, not positioning the behemoth so all guns can fire effectively (looking at you "captains-of-Dreadnoughts-who-point-the-bow-at-the-shore-and-ignore-the-rear-guns"), and not spotting so the gunners can more easily target enemies.

And then you've got gunners who don't go after the important targets first (AA guns, Fortress Guns, field guns, enemy boats). In fact, a special shout-out to the type of AA gunner on a Dreadnought who will just pointlessly pom-pom the shoreline, hitting nothing, and ignoring the inbound Torpedo Boats. So many ships would stay afloat for longer if the AA guns were actually defending the ship.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I think the old conquest scoring system would help the Behemoths. As we know comebacks are nigh on impossible. Yes they do happen but very rarely. The Behemoth is given to the badly losing team and the emphasis is still on this badly losing team to cap all the flags but with less players because of the Behemoth. Now with the old system of needing to hold a majority of flags for points the Behemoth could be very usefull in helping a team to cap and then HOLD 3 out of 5 flags on a map. It could be used more defensively and be more effective. The emphasis is then on the 'winning' team to break down this defence and split their forces between destroying the Behemoth and caping the necessary flags for majority control.

That and if not maybe spawn the behemoth if losing badly or when all flags have been lost, i.e if some team is dumb enough to cap all 3 minutes into the game, enter good comeback chance.
  • Zahgan85
    129 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Zahgan85 wrote: »
    Honestly it's the players fault. This is a team oriented game and needs the team to help protect the behemoths. Too many times I would be in a train and none of the gunners are trying to hit the 15 assaults that are right there rocket gunning them. Sometimes they don't shoot or they are too busy trying to get sniper kills. Also team mates outside the train don't try to kill the assaults destroying the train.

With the airship the gunners and planes should be targeting the AA guns and other planes. The driver should be trying to cap objectives while trying to take out tanks in the objectives.

With the dreadnaught team boats should help protect it from other boats and the AA cannons should protect it from bombers.

Like I said it's a team oriented game but hardly anyone wants to play as a team. For them it's only about their kills and points for capping objectives. If everyone is doing the same thing and not thinking strategically they are gonna lose and the bohemoth is going down fast

I get what you are saying but even if a miracle happened and your team helped defend the Behemoth then I'm not sure this would help. Take the train. It takes 5 people to man it (i think!!), and then you probably have 1/3 to 1/2 of the enemy team trying to take it out. This would require the equivelent number of friendlies to try and defend the train, leaving hardly anyone left to try and cap the rest of the flags, bearing in mind you need to cap most of them to stand any chance of a comeback. Same with the Dreadnaught, except the Dreadnaught can't even cap a flag, so you'd have 1/3 of your team in the water not capping the all important flags.

U make a valid point man. 99% of the time that is the case. However I changed my mind when one day I was able to drive the zeplin and had some decent gunners which was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I was able to cap D, c, b, and a while destroying their tanks and aa guns. We actually turned the game around and won. I don't think that will ever happen again though lol
  • Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The quicker a behemoth dies the better it is for everyone.
  • disposalist
    8958 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    The behemoths are too weak - they are there to help a weaker team stay in the game, but a weaker (less skilled?) team won't make good use of the behemoth and they are destroyed too easily to make enough of a difference.

Some behemoths are not as useful as others, also. The Dreadnought is hopeless at helping take the flags - it should spawn landing craft. The Armored train on some maps doesn't get near the flags and also needs a dedicated spawn seat. The Airship is the best at getting to flags and delivering troops (but still needs a dedicated spawn-only seat) but is destroyed very quickly.

Having said that, recently I have seen many more close games and 3 or 4 that were reversed by the behemoth. Given that in the previous 1000 hours I've maybe seen 20 reversed by the behemoth I wonder if something subtle has changed? Probably not - probably just luck.

When skill-balancing fails or people switch/leave a lot or the game starts very uneven and doesn't recover, the behemoth should help make the game less of a landslide/stomp/yawn-fest. It doesn't often do that currently.
  • Private_UMPalot
    4234 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I actually see players running to the train as it spawns on the map.

They want to feel safe, and they wonder why they are losing.
  • Lykosia
    204 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Less than 5 minutes? You can solo the airship in bomber killer fighter plane in three minutes. The weakpoints are too big and, well, weak. One rocket salvo and short MG burst and weak point is gone with fifth of the health.
  • DerLokator
    181 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Airship: I was one time the driver and it was incredible difficult to drive it for me. I tried to get on a flag, but I was to incompetent for it. So I think 85% can't drive the airship.

Train: It's difficult for the driver, to position the train perfect for the other gunners, because he has only 1st person perspective.

Dreadnought: never drove it, but I wouldn't know, how to position it perfect, that every gun is perfect positioned.

Maybe I have to watch some YouTube tutorials, if they exist.

I think, I can drive the train quite okay, but not perfect. The Char2C maybe also, but the rest is quite difficult.
  • wiazabi
    545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    The blimp is to weak.

If people get it on a map with plenty of aa guns and said people in the aa guns just do part dmg it goes down insanely fast add 1 or more blimp destroyer planes and it is pretty alive for < 1 min.

Part dmg is how you take down a behemoth incredible fast but most seem to just shoot the boxes below and with how you can now repair aa guns as soon as you know the blimp is about to spawn you should already be support with a wrench and have your aa gun repaired, toss smoke on the aa gun to get cover from snipers etc you can still see the blimp through it.
  • von_Campenstein
    6621 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I actually see players running to the train as it spawns on the map.

They want to feel safe, and they wonder why they are losing.

That's the scramble for the driver seat, if they wanted to feel safe they'd be camping the spawn already.
  • rock1obsta
    3819 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Yup.
    It's just a gimmick. I mean, it's so useless that it's not worth paying attention to.
    It would be best if it was never introduced into the game. Just like bayonet charges.
  • Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    The losing team could get THREE blimps, THREE trains AND THREE Dreadnaughts and still lose.. they were down by 200 tickets for a reason... they don't know how to play as a team. Planes, Trains and Automobiles can't help them...
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    rock1obsta wrote: »

Yup.
    It's just a gimmick. I mean, it's so useless that it's not worth paying attention to.
    It would be best if it was never introduced into the game. Just like bayonet charges.

I'm with you there. Behemoths would be OK as a last chance saloon mechanic in Operations (last battalion or last defence) but they don't belong in Conquest
  • JosephCr1984
    169 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I suspect that if all the squads on a team played with a more cohesive strategy, the Behemoths would be game-changers far more often than they are. Because then they could plan to have squads go take the objectives, while letting the behemoth spot for the rest of the team, defend itself, and take out the enemy when within range. Instead it almost always devolves into the same mess that got the team the "award" of a behemoth to begin with.

The other big problem is that in at least a quarter of the games I'm in win the behemoth shows up, the driver/pilot cares nothing about the win, they only care about farming kills. I remember one night on Amiens the team kept begging the driver simply to move the train, even if by 100 yards - enough to let other people in the train be effective. The driver kept responding back in chat with "no", and then finally "this way the train lives longer". All so he could pad his own K/D.
  • ninjapenquinuk
    2247 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I suspect that if all the squads on a team played with a more cohesive strategy, the Behemoths would be game-changers far more often than they are. Because then they could plan to have squads go take the objectives, while letting the behemoth spot for the rest of the team, defend itself, and take out the enemy when within range. Instead it almost always devolves into the same mess that got the team the "award" of a behemoth to begin with.

The other big problem is that in at least a quarter of the games I'm in win the behemoth shows up, the driver/pilot cares nothing about the win, they only care about farming kills. I remember one night on Amiens the team kept begging the driver simply to move the train, even if by 100 yards - enough to let other people in the train be effective. The driver kept responding back in chat with "no", and then finally "this way the train lives longer". All so he could pad his own K/D.

Mate, if the squads on a team were good and had a good strategy then the behemoth wouldnt appear or appear pretty much at the end. The behemoth only arrives early enough to be any use if the team is awful, that doesn't suddenly change when the behemoth arrives. Rubbish team before behemoth = rubbish team after = defeat either way.
  • xSha3nx
    288 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Not weak... We know how to play.

Remember in the Beta - Open where we were complaining about the OP tanks because we do not know how to play.
  • scorpionshahan
    345 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Easy it's players fault. If they knew how to play they wouldn't need behemoth in the first place
  • GhostseaI
    1430 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    If your team is getting Behemoth then it means that you are totally losing so it doesn't really matter what you get unless it's a nuke.
  • SaintBrandon88
    1320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Behemoths should not be in the game. They are only a shiny prize for the losing team to get cheap free kills with. In no way, should something like this be able to determine the outcome of a game. If that was the case, being on a good team would be so unrewarding and pointless.