Weekly BF

Asus GTX580 users

skutaboy
64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited July 2016
Anyone still running one of these graphics cards? I have the Matrix Platinum edition and use Asus GPU Tweak software to mainly control my fans. Unfortunately, this software gives my PC a BSOD if I click on it after updating my Graphics card driver. I need to update the driver in order to play the BF1 Alpha invitation. To play BF4 again, I need to revert the driver back .
I have pre-ordered BF1 but now worried that I have to pay out for a newer graphics card to save overheating my trusty GTX580. Are there any other software out there that would allow me to manually raise my fan speeds? I have tried nVidia nTune & MSI AfterBurner but the fan speed settings are 'greyed' out for whatever reason!
Thanks.

Comments

• GUNNY1966
    696 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    EVGA PRECISION X
    evga.com/precision/
    You can make a custom Fan Profile & increase your GPU fan speed in order to cool the card!
  • skutaboy
    64 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Thanks for the reply. I have downloaded and installed the software and yet again the manual fan slider isn't letting me do anything!
  • CalmMelody
    19 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    instead of using the manual slider, click on the fan curve button, and you just left click to add new points to the curve, and you can set them wherever you like. My curve is currently set with a minimum of 40% at 30c, and a maximum of 100% at 80c. Great tool to make sure that your video card doesn't ever overheat.
  • PlanoPete
    300 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I suspect that a six year old card is probably going to have issues going forward as the games become even more demanding. I t just can't keep up. Another scenario that you'll face is a total PC upgrade since I'm guessing that your PC is at least 6 years old as well. If the MB hasn't been upgraded you won't be able to take advantage of any of the newer video cards as you will then have a CPU bottleneck. Save between now and the BF1 release and build a complete new system.
  • skutaboy
    Thanks for the replies guys. It's very annoying that this GTX580 is soon going to be virtually obsolete for BF1 when it cost me £400 a few years ago. Looks like I have a second hand (3 month old) EVGA GTX970 lined up for BF1 but as stated, I will probably need to ramp up my current CPU.
    Current specs are:

Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two V3 Gaming Case
    Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache processor
    Asus SABERTOOTH P67 R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Memory Kit CL9
    Asus Matrix GTX580 1536MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Read = 550MB/s, Write = 510MB/s
    WD 750GB Caviar Green 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive 5400RPM
    Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W Modular PSU
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW
    CoolerMaster 120mm Sickleflow Fan - Blue LED
    Added another 250gb SSD for gaming to load from.
  • Dragam
    874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    skutaboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. It's very annoying that this GTX580 is soon going to be virtually obsolete for BF1 when it cost me £400 a few years ago. Looks like I have a second hand (3 month old) EVGA GTX970 lined up for BF1 but as stated, I will probably need to ramp up my current CPU.
    Current specs are:

Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two V3 Gaming Case
    Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache processor
    Asus SABERTOOTH P67 R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Memory Kit CL9
    Asus Matrix GTX580 1536MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
    Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Read = 550MB/s, Write = 510MB/s
    WD 750GB Caviar Green 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive 5400RPM
    Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W Modular PSU
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW
    CoolerMaster 120mm Sickleflow Fan - Blue LED
    Added another 250gb SSD for gaming to load from.

Your problem will be your vram, or rather lack off.

http://gamegpu.com/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield_1_Alpha/bf1_vram.png

But you might be able to run it on lowest settings.
  • MlDHEAVEN
    459 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I have a 580 i have lying around, it's an EVGA Hydo Copper 2, i can tell you this it struggles really hard under BF4 for unknown reasons, i have a 670 and it's over 50% faster in the same game.
  • MlDHEAVEN
    edited July 2016

My 670 blows the doors off a stock 680 with it's OC, take that into consideration.
    BF4 is no more demanding than 3 really, maybe 10FPS at most difference.
  • Dragam
    874 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

My 670 blows the doors off a stock 680 with it's OC, take that into consideration.

There is one significant difference between bf3 and bf4.

Bf3 uses about 1,5gb vram at 1080p (what the gtx 580 has) bf4 uses about 2gb vram at 1080p (what the gtx 670 has). When the gpu doesnt have sufficient vram, it will use the system memory as virtual vram, but as they are significantly slower, youll get alot worse performance when this happens.
  • MlDHEAVEN
    Dragam wrote: »

There is one significant difference between bf3 and bf4.

Bf3 uses about 1,5gb vram at 1080p (what the gtx 580 has) bf4 uses about 2gb vram at 1080p (what the gtx 670 has). When the gpu doesnt have sufficient vram, it will use the system memory as virtual vram, but as they are significantly slower, youll get alot worse performance when this happens.

Yeah, i still think a 580 is a powerful card for it's age, just make sure you have the 3GB version if you plan to max games out in this day and age though.
  • skutaboy
    Just tried Asus GPU Tweak 2 but that fails to open for whatever reason! I read a report saying moving up from a 580 to a 970 probably isn't worth it but on the same report it stated that a 970 has 8% more than the recommended power needed where as the 580 has 70% LESS power !!!

Info here...http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2438&gid2=448&compare=geforce-gtx-970-vs-geforce-gtx-580
  • Dragam
    skutaboy wrote: »
    Just tried Asus GPU Tweak 2 but that fails to open for whatever reason! I read a report saying moving up from a 580 to a 970 probably isn't worth it but on the same report it stated that a 970 has 8% more than the recommended power needed where as the 580 has 70% LESS power !!!

Info here...http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2438&gid2=448&compare=geforce-gtx-970-vs-geforce-gtx-580

Why would you use such a crappy site? It tells you absolutely nothing.

Go and see a benchmark review of your prefered game, and see how the 2 gpu's stack up against each other. I can tell you that the 970 will be more than twice as fast in any new title.
  • skutaboy
    Dragam wrote: »
    Why would you use such a **** site? It tells you absolutely nothing.
    I was carrying out random comparisons. I suppose the main thing to note (so far) is that GPU Tweak software crashes with the latest GPU card driver that is needed for BF1.