Lag / Server performance issues since "Lupkow Pass" update

petoketju
60 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Hi,

Ever since the Lupkow Pass -update went online, at least some Euro-servers have been suffering from poor performance issues. I list some observations below regarding this issue:
  • Players are micro "rubberbanding". Moving your own character feels like "trying to guide your drunk friend out the bar". Sometimes it's hard to even navigate out of a doorway, when your character is slightly warping around
  • Other players' movements are also visibly disturbed
  • Server performance icon is visible/blinking
  • My ping is not horrible during the lag. Ping goes up only about 20ms, from 30ms to 50ms. So I'm not suspecting it's directly network connection related
  • This problem usually starts at some point during a round. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I've witnessed the lag immediately in the beginning of a round
  • Other players on the server also notes the issue in the in-game chat, so it's not just me who is experiencing the lag
  • I think I've witnessed this issue most often on Amiens. But that could be coincidence, as it has happened on other maps as well

At least the following servers have suffered from this issue. I will add more to the list later
  • [DICE] Official - CQ - Europe - #329468
  • [DICE] Official - CQ - Europe - #330671

Please post your own observations regarding the issue. Lists of servers involved are also welcome (I've taken screenshot from pause menu, where it shows the server name)
Please note: In my experience, this issue does not affect FPS, so please don't post reports regarding BF1 client performance here.

Comments

• UXROO
    842 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well in some servers works good in others it's terrible. I notice in good servers while i bump into someone it will lag me and it would be pain to get away from them. This wouldn't be problem but for some reason, players in BF loves to touch each other.... Like you have 10 m free space in both ways and you got to get next to me... Why???
  • l-Jemma-l
    156 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    G-Gnu wrote: »
    Yepp, DICE might be better of writing books. 101 ways of F up your own games.
    It´s a constant lag fest after the latest patch, server icons is a constant now days.
    Good job there DICE.

• B0000OM
    38 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Those issues happen on most servers so finding one without rubberbanding and lag is a pain.

The most concerning thing is that each patch and update makes the game and servers run even worse than before. The best performance I have experienced was when the game was in Beta. Since then it has been just downhill.
  • FPSgamer69
    199 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Maps start out smooth and after a while, they start all to lag.
    First a bit of stutter, then heavily lagging.
  • LumoColor
    343 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Experiencing same on PC Operations servers and a lot of other players on the servers are complaining about this problem.

2 videos with netgraphs showing some of the worst examples:-
    • Server #329599 (TSNP) 25/08/2017 21:40 (BST)

1st map was exactly same, everyone complaining about server issues. Second map became significantly worse and nearly every player on server complaining about rubber banding and lag. At start there is up to 30% packet loss, this was intermittent MTR's to the test server IP 213.163.73.138 on another machine/connection indicate this is around the gateway 30ge.cr0-lr0.smartdc.rtm.i3d.net
    • Server #351831 27/08/2017 22:06 (BST)

Again, Nearly every player on server complaining about rubber banding and lag. When the server is laggy like this hit detection is non existent and things like mortar kills take a lot longer to be detected.

Before the update around a month ago latency to the servers increased from a stable 20ms to 25-30ms bouncing as documented here:-

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/115779/high-latency-to-servers-and-packet-loss

The packet loss comes and goes depending on time and how busy the servers are, but since the update this has got really bad to the point where servers are UNPLAYABLE.
  • G-Gnu
    579 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Potato servers. Never ending story of cutting cost and shooting them self in the foot at the same time, to earn some Mo Munhey....... sigh
  • E5-Fisen
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It´s a constant lag fest after the latest patch, server icons is a constant now days.
    Good job there DICE.
  • andrejS_de
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Really....what doing DICE or UPRISE, whoever, with this game i dont now :(((, i like it but in last time the updates made this game unplayable, server lags, no hits with shotguns, the medal system is really so broken, i have 8 weeks in a row the same medals and i think iam not the only with this problem, and what about the battlepack progression, still to slow after Prise de Tahure update, no interest from the people of DICE etc. to fix this. After a week they cant fix this server problems or the problem with no hits......AFTER ONE WEEK?! We pay you and what do we get for it......would I make so many mistakes on my job everytime, I would already be unemployed.......
  • PDGC_NLsandman
    149 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    To keep cost low for EA i3d puts more servers on 1 dedicated box, on some conquest servers I have ping 5ms and the game runs fine, on some conquest server I have fluctuating ping 20ms to 30ms and lag all the time, those servers are at the same location as the 5ms servers.
    i3d.net is known for overbooking to much.

@andrejS_de

Uprise is responsible for the user interface, the server browser menu etc.
  • Tom_Sp4nks
    67 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Indeed !!! I noticed that too and is happening quite often no matter what map i am playing!! Never had this problem before the latest update!
    Shame on you Dice!!!! We payed exactly what you asked for this game!!! We don't care about your BF1 revolution or other crappy and non sense contents!!! First make this game work as it should!!! Why you have to break it so bad?

And what is happening with the latest wave of cheaters who are plaguing the official servers in the last 2 weeks?

To be honest, BF4 was much a better experience regarding issues&stuff.
  • dan1342017
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I noticed it too, high latency, and ping will go high. This only seems to happen on the servers, running the new snow map, Lupkow Pass.
  • ballFetcher
    52 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Noticed in average the Latency/Ping (Ping in this context is slang) went in average from 20 to 40 after the update. And shotguns are not working. Cant be a coincidence.
  • Razonan
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yup, it's a lagfest during day and its normal during night at least for me, and i noticed in score table that almost everyone is above 100 sometimes my rifle shots dont register
  • xNev3rM1ndx
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    This is F UP! Same here dealing with the same issue on PS4 US East servers. So **** dissapointed about the game status right now.
  • petoketju
    In the past 3 nights I've been playing, I haven't noticed significant lag. Maybe I've been just lucky, or something was actually improved/fixed.

That being said, new problem is getting most of the time connected to US E servers via quick play > conquest. I get about 150ms ping on US E, while on Euro servers I'm on 30-40ms range.
    I'd rather wait for a while in a queue, than get instantly connected to too high ping server. Of course I can always use the server browser to achieve that, but I just got used to the quick play working nicely.
  • Teh_Next
    1534 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Servers do without a doubt feels worse.
  • petoketju
    It was good for few nights, but today horrible server lag at: [DICE] Official - CQ - Europe - #367433 (map Amiens)
  • GlaeschenMaggi
    14 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I have also been suffering from the poor server performance. The game is almost unplayable or at least not enjoyable due to the already mentioned lags, rubberbanding, etc. Also my ping has deteriorated since last update, it has risen from 60ms to 75ms - I know it's not much but it annoys me anyways. However I heard that on 5th September the new DLC will be published. So hopefully they will include some fixes for this server issues. I really don't want to play the new DLC on laggy servers...
  • Kajjal
    684 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Also notice the servers in Europe recently are choppier , before they were working fine. Its not all servers but certainly enough to notice.