Sound crackling?

Zeekoh
6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited August 2017
I've searched a little on these forums and I've not found one post that's any use. Some unanswered, others suggesting things for PC. I don't have all day to search through posts that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

So... obviously I'm having the problem on PS4. It's not constant at all. Seemingly a lot like what PC users have experienced, the more that is happening, the higher the chance of the sound starting to crackle. Even with a ping around 50-70. It was REALLY bad in a game I played earlier today. Usually I can only hear the crackle when there's a loud explosion. The more explosions the more it crackles. It doesn't do it every time. Even under multiple explosions, it doesn't always do it. But now it's at a point where it randomly crackles during explosions and gunfire/etc. every single game, for the majority of the game, and it's extremely annoying. I've tried changing my PS4 audio settings to Linear. I've tried both Surround and Stereo in-game. I've yet to try unplugging my HDMI cord but this only happens with BF1, so I doubt that is the problem. I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled either. Is this seriously an unresolved/lingering bug from last year? Surely it's not affecting everyone?
Post edited by Zeekoh on

Comments

• Zeekoh
    It happens to me even when there isn't a lot of action. I've heard single explosions set it off. Though during those moments where it seems like heavy server/connection/FPS lag it's definitely the worst by far. I'm genuinely curious why this is happening. I played for months when the game first launched and never experienced this. Not one time. I thought it was something wrong with my surround sound at first, but it even happens on my TV speakers.
  • dA_9_eL_81
    1884 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I experienced this on Frontlines (16v16 gamemode) but with some really high-pingers (+300´s)... So I dont think its nececarily triggered only on CQL-servers... but might be a problem with OOR-players.... Unfortunately :-(
  • dreadpiratedylan
    64 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    have been getting crackling in the audio the past few days, at first thought it might be my headphones so turned down the volume but still got crackling and it only happens when playing bf1. if it's happening to other players then it must be the game, hopefully dice read this and can fix it.
  • HitchUK
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm also experiencing this. Seems more prevalent during high-intensity moments like lots of explosions going off.
  • Meloku
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    This is happening to me too. I play with the Sony Gold headphones and thought they were the issue, or some other wireless device in the room was interfering. However I don't think that is the case. It only happens in this game for me.

This seems to happen most when there are a lot of bass heavy sounds, like explosions, tank cannon fire plane crashes, buildings falling.

This sound crackle not only interrupts communication frequently, it is also physically uncomfortable due to sounds this crackling produces. It does not feel or sound good.
  • Chillmatik_86
    2369 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Its only happening to me during lots of action going on..its laggy during this too.

Same for me, started since last update, also since last update the amount of wtf moments significantly increased unfortunately.....
  • Zeekoh
    Meloku wrote: »
    This is happening to me too. I play with the Sony Gold headphones and thought they were the issue, or some other wireless device in the room was interfering. However I don't think that is the case. It only happens in this game for me.

This seems to happen most when there are a lot of bass heavy sounds, like explosions, tank cannon fire plane crashes, buildings falling.

This sound crackle not only interrupts communication frequently, it is also physically uncomfortable due to sounds this crackling produces. It does not feel or sound good.

I've heard about BF1 having issues with headphones in the past. I'm not too savvy on the details but it did involve some form of crackling. Considering the situation it most likely isn't your headphones though. But, you're right. Hearing the crackle coming through my surround sound is cringe inducing EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's not very pleasant at all. The crackle definitely throws me off my game sometimes. Not to mention the huge drops in FPS that sometimes come with it.
  • Vindbryte-LKPG
    81 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yeah, I've got sound crackling since the last update. The games feels off too at these moments.
  • X_justhaze_X
    365 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Same!!! Dice/Ea is eerily quiet about this and other game breaking bugs across the forums and social media.
  • SaintBrandon88
    1320 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    It's been happening for quite a while for me actually, not just this most recent update. But it seems to have gotten worse. My bullets also are not registering at ALL. I also keep spawning into vehicles with infantry loadouts. A bunch of weird stuff going on.
  • Teh_Jyrax
    16 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Same here. Usually when i die and waiting for the skip option, crackling ensues.

This audio and the sjogren bug need fixing.

Dice LA....ucandoooit.
  • Skill4Reel
    383 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I play on Playstation 4, and there is definitely sound cracking happening now that was not there before.
  • TamKingski
    1790 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Im on ps4,cant say i noticed any crackling/or sound problem with my tv or sony headphones.
    Can anyone having this problem record some footage and post it here?
    If this noticeable crackling is a problem with the in-game sound then it should also show up when recording it on ps4,if its a tv/headphone/speaker issue it wont.
  • Chillmatik_86
    2369 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TamKingski wrote: »
    Im on ps4,cant say i noticed any crackling/or sound problem with my tv or sony headphones.
    If this noticeable crackling is a problem with the in-game sound then it should also show up when recording it on ps4,if its a tv/headphone/speaker issue it wont.

It's actually in one of my montages
    Skip to 0:45 for the sound crackling/heavy distortion, it is pretty briefly in this one, when it happens over here it usually lasts for aproximately 10/15 seconds

• TamKingski
    1790 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    TamKingski wrote: »

It's actually in one of my montages
    Skip to 0:45 for the sound crackling/heavy distortion, it is pretty briefly in this one, when it happens over here it usually lasts for aproximately 10/15 seconds

Im honestly not hearing anything off in that video,at 0.45 you eqip the gasmask which does distort the sound but it sounded normal to me.
    Is it possible that this is a problem with your sound setup? Ie wrong setting or something cranked too high causing a crackling or distortion on your end.
  • Chillmatik_86
    edited August 2017
    0:50 sounds normal to you..? (Sorry i typod .45)
    I'm sorry but that's not normal to me, and i have been playing fine since, ever, happens on tv and headphones (from time to time tho') and it only happens on actionpacked moments in BF1

Edit: i chopped that revive streak thing up pritty severly to minimize having that terrible sound in the vid tho'... as soon as it happens again, i'll hit the share button and post it in here (if i dont forget it....)
  • Plucky6922
    474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Been happening for a while for me, off and on for months.
    I get bad input lag when it occurs also.
    Sometimes for just a few seconds or so, but other night it lasted for closer to 5 minutes until the round ended.
  • Skill4Reel
    383 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    @TamKingski I can hear the cracking, static sounding effect clearly in Chillmatik_86's video. I hear the same thing when using my Turtle Beach headset during my own Battlefield 1 play sessions. I actually thought that something was wrong with my headset, but I am so glad that this isn't the case.
  • Chillmatik_86
    Skill4Reel wrote: »
    @TamKingski I can hear the cracking, static sounding effect clearly in Chillmatik_86's video. I hear the same thing when using my Turtle Beach headset during my own Battlefield 1 play sessions. I actually thought that something was wrong with my headset, but I am so glad that this isn't the case.

I had the same thoughts aswell at first, but than it happened on both my tv-screens aswell, have had people in the party mentioning it aswell and than this thread appeared, thanks for the confirmation tho'
    I will try to not forget capturing any future sound issues and post them in here.
    It will not have the Netgraph in it because that really throws me off my game taking so much space on the screen, but, to be a little more specific, it happens when playing wired, and equally when playing on wifi in my experience, even more weird, since last update my hitreg was quitr off while playing wired i did switch back to wifi and it emediatly felt a lot better. Still my latency is only 2ms higher when on wifi compared to wired, wired i'm 26-ish Irish and -10 Dutch, on wifi i'm still -30 Irish and 10-ish Dutch.
    Not sure if internet speed is relevant here but, wired it's 50down 20up (MBPS) wifi 40down 10up (also MBPS).