Does The Average PC Player Really Want to Play on Rented Servers?

Comments

• CrashCA
    919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Play Official servers, no admins
  • -Antares65z
    1573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CrashCA wrote: »
    Play Official servers, no admins

From various threads I've read on here and Reddit, I believe that that is what the majority of players want. Unfortunately they will probably get their wish in the next BF game in 2018, as those will be the only servers available to play.
  • CrashCA
    919 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Was not advocating this, but suggesting it to those who have issues with admins. I prefer a custom, admined community server, which EA is doing all they can to eliminate.
  • Axlerod1
    1352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    No admins and no servers is why I no longer give money to ACTIVISION.
    This is also the reason I will not buy SWBF2 when it comes out.
    If EA?DICE does this for BF2018, I will not buy the game.

There is so much BS in this game now it isn't even funny nore is it fun for a lot of players. The player count supports this.
    Why EA/DICE wants to implement such a flawed system the eliminates communities/clans is beyond me.
  • Mrs_Ragdoll
    268 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have a question:
    If I want to rent a server running only 3 maps in a mapcycle (most populair maps) without mapvoting (mapvote=off) will my server still be filled via Quick Match? Because I've read that disabling mapvote would make it a Custom server and then it won't be filled with players via Quick Match... :sweat: If this is true it's really dumb. But where I've read it, it was a very old post.... I don't know if things has changed in the mean time....
  • -Antares65z
    1573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    I have a question:
    If I want to rent a server running only 3 maps in a mapcycle (most populair maps) without mapvoting (mapvote=off) will my server still be filled via Quick Match? Because I've read that disabling mapvote would make it a Custom server and then it won't be filled with players via Quick Match... :sweat: If this is true it's really dumb. But where I've read it, it was a very old post.... I don't know if things has changed in the mean time....

If you change anything in the settings, such as turning off the map vote, believe it or not, even that will make the server Custom and then it will not show up in the regular browser with default filters. Nor will it receive any Quick Match traffic. Unfortunately not much has changed with the RSP since some of the older threads you've read.

Unless you have a bunch of friends who are committed like you are and will show up every day to get the server going, do yourself a favor and don't waste your money. Your server will sit empty.
  • Mrs_Ragdoll
    268 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I have a question:

If you change anything in the settings, such as turning off the map vote, believe it or not, even that will make the server Custom and then it will not show up in the regular browser with default filters. Nor will it receive any Quick Match traffic. Unfortunately not much has changed with the RSP since some of the older threads you've read.

Unless you have a bunch of friends who are committed like you are and will show up every day to get the server going, do yourself a favor and don't waste your money. Your server will sit empty.

Thank you for the advice and your message. It's so unfortunate the way DICE is handling things. Now they miss my money so it's also not smart from and for them..... I won't rent a server then, it's better to team up in existing servers and saving alot of money indeed.
  • Jaskaman
    635 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    Yeah I love that 6 player start trick. Pain in the rear but it does work.

What kind of trick? And after DICE dev stated QM does not join to RSP last year, I haven't seen it stated otherwise even after 20P at server.
  • Jaskaman
    635 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    If BF 2018 will not have proper RSP, then I think it's time to say goodbye for BF games... So I hope it won't be like that.
  • -Antares65z
    Jaskaman wrote: »
    If BF 2018 will not have proper RSP, then I think it's time to say goodbye for BF games... So I hope it won't be like that.

I don't think that EA would roll out the same RSP for BF 2018 that is currently available in BF1. It's obviously pretty much a failure. If I had to guess what will happen in 2018. Either EA uses BF1 as a learning opportunity and vastly improves RSP to offer a lot of what we've been asking for. Or, there will be no RSP and no 3rd party host. We'll probably just get Dice Official dedicated servers. I would put my money on the latter.
  • Axlerod1
    1352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Well they are not going back to 3rd party servers.
    BF2018 RSP will be what we have for BF1.
    EA wants to get rid of rental servers. Watch the results of SWBF2. Another game I skipped wasting money on.

EUnless there is a drastic improvement made to RSP or DICE goes back to 3rd party providers for servers, I am probably not going to get BF2018. Thus ending my streak of playing all the battlefield titles. I am not even going to alpha or beta test it. Not much point. Dice just wants people to make videos to post on youtube telling everyone how great their game is. They don't listen to the community and actually do things to improve the game. Ask everyone in CTE.
  • -Antares65z
    edited October 2017
    Well they are not going back to 3rd party servers.
    BF2018 RSP will be what we have for BF1.
    EA wants to get rid of rental servers. Watch the results of SWBF2. Another game I skipped wasting money on.

EUnless there is a drastic improvement made to RSP or DICE goes back to 3rd party providers for servers, I am probably not going to get BF2018. Thus ending my streak of playing all the battlefield titles. I am not even going to alpha or beta test it. Not much point. Dice just wants people to make videos to post on youtube telling everyone how great their game is. They don't listen to the community and actually do things to improve the game. Ask everyone in CTE.

Its all about revenue pipelines and development resources with consoles getting most of the attention. Its big business and they focus the lionshare of their resources where the money is at. Consoles make up 56% of game revenue, whereas PC accounts for 23%. https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57476/ea-earns-more-consoles-pc-mobile-combined/index.html

The PC platform requires more support, in particular supporting dedicated servers. Console gamers have proven to be more accepting of matchmaking services, compared to PC gamers who have traditionally resisted it and chances are, along with the loot crate system, matchmaking and/or Official dedicated servers are the future, whether we like it or not. There are some like you that will resist it, but in general, most will fall into line and will continue to buy their games. As for myself, the quality of PC games (mainly tech issues) combined with growing number of cheaters is making me seriously question if I've built my last gaming PC. Depending on what happens in 2018, I will probably eventually convert to the console platform in the next few years because it's getting harder to justify the cost of maintaining a high end PC to play games that are plagued with bugs and the rampant cheating that continues to grow with each new game.
  • Axlerod1
    edited October 2017
    Yes that is true. That is why 1 million PC players are logging in daily to PUBG. A game focused on the PC market. PC gamers will spend the money if they make a good game for PC players. EA and DICE ignore the PC market so the PC market is ignoring them. Hence they play something else.

Also that 56% is split between 2 consoles which are very different from each other. The xbox system and the PC version are more similar than different. So really, they are split evenly across all 3 platforms.
  • -Antares65z
    Perhaps one of the main reasons why EA and Activision has been focusing more on the console market is because of the decline of PC sales over the years and the doom and gloom reports that PC's are a dying breed. However in the past year, multiple news sources including Garnter are reporting that PC sales are up in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and apparently PC's may not be a dying platform afterall. If PC sales continue to grow over the next year or two, perhaps EA will re-evaluate their strategy and will begin focusing on PC game development. I'm not sure, is BF1 just another console port for the PC?
  • Rev0verDrive
    6697 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Perhaps one of the main reasons why EA and Activision has been focusing more on the console market is because of the decline of PC sales over the years and the doom and gloom reports that PC's are a dying breed. However in the past year, multiple news sources including Garnter are reporting that PC sales are up in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and apparently PC's may not be a dying platform afterall. If PC sales continue to grow over the next year or two, perhaps EA will re-evaluate their strategy and will begin focusing on PC game development. I'm not sure, is BF1 just another console port for the PC?

There are quite a few highly reputable market analyst services that show PC gaming surges. They also show PC gaming revenue surpassing console and mobile combined.
    One example: https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2416-pc-gaming-inches-past-consoles-and-phones-in-revenue

Then there's articles like the following that show an increase in Mobile gaming...so much so that it surpasses revenues of PC and Console.
    https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/13/mobile-game-revenue-finally-surpasses-pc-and-consoles/

DFC Intelligence is the king of market prediction in the gaming universe. Newzoo being a very close 2nd.

And then there's this.
    http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/81292-pc-games-software-market-exceed-35bn-2018-says-oga/
  • ShevermiN
    362 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Yes that is true. That is why 1 million PC players are logging in daily to PUBG. A game focused on the PC market. PC gamers will spend the money if they make a good game for PC players. EA and DICE ignore the PC market so the PC market is ignoring them. Hence they play something else.

Also that 56% is split between 2 consoles which are very different from each other. The xbox system and the PC version are more similar than different. So really, they are split evenly across all 3 platforms.

Yeah 1 milliom PC players with no server browser, no rental server, no patches for about a month now and not until they launch the retail version. The game is buggy, poorly optimized and still has serious balance problems for comp play..

The game has half a dozen major issues that are trotted out page after page of why people are not buying BF1 or BF2018 but are happy to pay and play on PUBG...... can't work it out ??
  • Axlerod1
    Just to throw this out there on the popularity of Battlefield from the days of old and just how popular running a 3rd party provided server is, take a look at this article: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/ea-shuts-down-fan-run-servers-for-older-battlefield-games/
    EA has to get the legal system involved to stop old title Bf servers from continuing to run.
  • HonorguyXNL
    570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    Just to throw this out there on the popularity of Battlefield from the days of old and just how popular running a 3rd party provided server is, take a look at this article: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/10/ea-shuts-down-fan-run-servers-for-older-battlefield-games/
    EA has to get the legal system involved to stop old title Bf servers from continuing to run.

Well in all honesty their points are 100% legit. And don't think EA is alone in doing this, Blizzard/Activision did this first with some of their titles. The WoW thingy being the most known one.

In the end, those BF versions are modified in such a way that it violates their terms & conditions and from a legal standpoint I agree with EA. However, there is something called morality, and from that side... Well, bad move EA. (not going to continue on this of course, lets keep legal out of this from now on)

Either way, the point is. Old titles are still loved incredibly a lot because of how things worked. Newer game titles die quicker simply because of matchmaking, lack of server browsers, lack of custom servers ran by communities etc.

It just showed once again, communities running servers are way more important and have way more impact on the longevity of games than any developer/publisher likes to acknowledge. Simply providing the ability to play online isn't enough, something EA doesn't seem to want to accept. Nor does any other publisher/dev.

New games who currently roll out with server browser and admin tools are doing great. New games without do it great for a few weeks and then die off.
  • -Antares65z
    edited October 2017
    New games who currently roll out with server browser and admin tools are doing great. New games without do it great for a few weeks and then die off.

Even though these thoughts conflicts with BF1's DLC release time table, in reality EA doesn't want us to maintain an interest in a game for longer than a year. They want you to buy a new game every year, not every other year. By supporting BF4 for as long as they did, combined with eventually giving away the DLC maps for free, they shot themselves in the foot in terms of selling more copies of BF1. If you think about it, there are many BF players out there who haven't bought a new EA BF titled game in four years. BF4 was released on October 29th, 2013. Had EA stopped supporting BF4 two years ago, cheaters would have eventually run the majority players away from the game. Just as what happened to BF3. I imagine more players would have bought BF1.

• ImaloEdnoVreme
    112 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I love playing on rented servers, not so much because they offer such a huge improvement in quality, but rather because they enable fun options like SIRs and 200% damage. Wish there were rented operations servers though, those would be extremely fun, especially with features such as double tickets, less respawn time and more damage.