Glacia, possibly the worst map in bf history? (or just misunderstood)

Comments

• Khronikos
    1203 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'll have to see if I can prepare for this one. I'm sure I won't love it, but I will have to find a way. I'm sure it was the give us a break map and was easier to make than the rest.
  • Dr_Tatwaffel
    6 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Khronikos wrote: »
    ...I'm sure I won't love it, but I will have to find a way. ...

Dito. play it like BF Hardline :)

• Bigalexblues
    86 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    This is not COD! Period. It is a large scale map and death is a reality. Stop whining. Dice made a spectacular work in this DLC
  • Claypole1
    324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I find it a really different map than all the other maps on bf1. I mean infantry based are the best, but it's something different. If you are PTFOing theres a lot of cover on the trenches and lot's of vehicles to use. Also, a good tip that i'm cetrain that work is that finally people need to understand the use of the smoke grenade. I barely see a smoking area on bf1, just because most players only care to throw first their grenades and then fire with their primary weapon. You can't imagine how many times a choking point, a grenade spam or even a big area with no cover, like this map has been fixed just by throwing a single smoke grenade.

I remember smoke mortars from BF3, great for laying down a huge wall of smoke in front of the enemy so your team can advance. I imagine these would work great on this map, but players don't seem want to use tactics that don't involve getting kills for themselves.

• INCUBA3E-BF
    1923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    This is not COD! Period. It is a large scale map and death is a reality. Stop whining. Dice made a spectacular work in this DLC

what are you on about?

because a map is badly made (imo) that means I'm comparing it to cod, hahaha

for your information I hate all the so called cod maps in bf, like metro and lockers etc etc, and prefer large scale battlefield maps

and yes they have done decent with this dlc, where does it say anywhere this dlc is terrible...........?

period lol
  • jmgargoyle
    2363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    JesseA421 wrote: »
    its trench warfare. adapt instead of complaining u cant do good on it, special boi. just mentioning "flow" and "conquest" in the same sentence is nonsense. every CQ match is a giant circle jerk. if its boring you are doing it wrong.

I've played it and did well on it but, I'd also agree it needs some more work. If you want trench warfare then they better add more trenches!! And if it's a vehicle map, then add some more tanks so it's really vehicle based....right now it seems like it was just kind of a piece if paper with rubbish piles (collapsedbuildings, train cars) every so often ....
  • aseveredfoot
    2269 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Claypole1 wrote: »
    I find it a really different map than all the other maps on bf1. I mean infantry based are the best, but it's something different. If you are PTFOing theres a lot of cover on the trenches and lot's of vehicles to use. Also, a good tip that i'm cetrain that work is that finally people need to understand the use of the smoke grenade. I barely see a smoking area on bf1, just because most players only care to throw first their grenades and then fire with their primary weapon. You can't imagine how many times a choking point, a grenade spam or even a big area with no cover, like this map has been fixed just by throwing a single smoke grenade.

I remember smoke mortars from BF3, great for laying down a huge wall of smoke in front of the enemy so your team can advance. I imagine these would work great on this map, but players don't seem want to use tactics that don't involve getting kills for themselves.

I switched to smoke grenades as support and just resupply myself all the time. It does wonders against snipers and makes getting around a map a lot easier.
  • TylymiezWelho
    42 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    For the first few minutes on this map I has similar thoughts to OP, but after discovering all the trenches and ravines I changed my mind.

I just love the feeling of paranoia while running in a ditch and knowing that at some point an enemy is going to come from opposite direction, or perhaps he has dared the open space and is already aiming at you from above. Should I pop my head from the trench to look aroung or risk dashing in the open from one shell hole to the other while there is certainly a sniper just waiting for me to do it?

Hint: do not ignore the heavy machine guns on this map - contrary to the norm, they are actually pretty well placed and can damage those armored cars.
  • JediMastaWyn
    181 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    From what I have played briefly, there are more than enough shallow trenches and ditches to get about.

An open battlefield who would have thought!
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    1923 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    OK I'll replay and take everything into consideration

• RanzigeRidder2
    63 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

Fully agree on your smoke grenade tip! Had a perfect example of it myself recently. Was playing Frontlines on Verdun, on the German side, and we were at the stage where we pushed our way up the hill to the final objectives. We had destroyed 1 enemy telegraph pole already. And we were really struggling to arm the last objective due to the French side having the high round which made the approach to the telegraph station nearly impossible. Until I equiped the rifle smoke grenade to my medic rifle, 3 well placed shots creating a curtain of smoke, allowing my team to move in, arm and destroy the final objective.

I also recall the smoke mortars from BF3, that would be a good addition to the currently underwhelmed support class in BF1. Either mortar smoke shells, or smoke grenades for the crossbow, could make support better equiped to live up to their name. But it still is no guarantee, because as you already pointed out, most people would still choose for their own killing potential over helping out the team.
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    mortars already have smoke dude, it's on the dpad
  • Claypole1
    324 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 2017
    I never knew that!
  • vasilisdim1
    358 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

I switched to smoke grenades as support and just resupply myself all the time. It does wonders against snipers and makes getting around a map a lot easier.

All I'm saying about smoke if 3-4 guys use smoke then you can push pretty easy the other team. Galicia is a great map in my opinion. I played 5 times so far and i was barely killed by scouts. If you use the trench network, being cautious and get yourself into the holes from the artillery (example D-flag) and use smoke its an easy win (if your team doesn't suck). The scouts on the back with the scopes, is the easiest targets to kill, just equip a marksman variant (don't be like those campers) and shoot their heads off.
  • vasilisdim1
    358 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Loqtrall wrote: »
    I just played my first match on Galicia CQL and I thought it was awesome. Ended up mvp on the winning team and dropped almost 30 kills as Medic.

People claiming there's "no cover" are not only over-exaggerating, but they're probably the same people who run wildly out into the open on other maps, gets sniped, and then complain snipers are too OP.

There's plenty of cover. Hell, I even walked all the way from A to E on the bottom of the map and didn't get shot at once.

It's just an unforgiving map to those that think they can just run out in the open with no immediate threat. The direct middle of the map is the only place you have to worry about not having cover (aside from a windmill).

I think the map is great. It's finally a map in this game that puts emphasis on map awareness and player movement instead of turning sharp corners and being melted by smgs at 90% of objectives.

I couldn't agree more with you ma man :)
  • ahxe45
    88 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Smoke is a godsend on this map and I hope that it convinces more people to use it on other maps where snipers are an issue.
  • jmgargoyle
    2363 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I never knew that!

Me either as there's only two options if mortar in selection menu? Infantry only or infantry and vehicles....I'll have to check it out next time I'm on....
  • INCUBA3E-BF
    jmgargoyle wrote: »
    I never knew that!

Me either as there's only two options if mortar in selection menu? Infantry only or infantry and vehicles....I'll have to check it out next time I'm on....

it's not an option, the mortar has a secondary fire mode that is smoke, so they all have smoke (not sure about vehicles)
  • jmgargoyle
    jmgargoyle wrote: »
    I never knew that!

it's not an option, the mortar has a secondary fire mode that is smoke, so they all have smoke (not sure about vehicles)

OK thanks for that bit of info!
  • WraithOf_Hades
    124 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Beautiful map but snipers are too op for this map. If sniping was what it was in bf3 then it would be a fantastic map.