Addressing Haccusations

BugsLaughter
22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Hey everyone. I wanted to take a moment to address the haccusations (an accusation that one is hacking) that seem to be common in not only Battlefield, but other games such as the recent “stream sniping” ban scandal in Battlegrounds.

I’ve been playing PC games since my early teen years, and this was roughly 20 years ago. I started off play the original Team Fortress Quake mod, moving on to Half Life mods such as Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat while they were in beta. I played the original Battlefield 1942 as well as other titles over Battlefields history.

Only recently in the past few years as PC gaming has developed more and more popularity have the haccusations really started increasing. I’m a student of Sociology (literally in college now for it) and have made some observations.

I think it’s the new, younger players coming into the game that accuse the most, and I think this is because by and large our society has encouraged a victim mentality in our youth. But I’m not here to soapbox on that. I digress…

Listen we all have bad games. We all get frustrated with our teams, or with that one guy that’s owning us the entire match. But to scream hacks? Where I come from in my gaming career, when I was a teenager, you Did. Not. Do. That.

Players like Gen-Oddessy are not hackers. They are skilled, practiced, and use squad tactics to achieve a massive amount of success. If you suspect someone of hacking, report them – it’s important to do that! But keep your mouth shut, because many times it’s not that someone is hacking, it’s just that they’re good. I got accused of hacking server side files the other day for goodness sakes. And I’m a mediocre player and my K/D was 22-20. Enough is enough.

I would encourage any veteran players to jump on this behavior when you encounter it in game. It’s time for this to be addressed and dealt with as the unacceptable behavior that it is.

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    1424 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just ingnore another frustrated kid who cries "cheaters" after every death. Or hide chat completely. It's the best way to deal with those.
  • Djoenz
    726 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    First of all you should never apply your profession/college unto online behaviour. TOS and way of conducts are pretty known online. If someone accuses someone of hacking they better have proof or report with proof.

How is this not known to you? We all know how to deal with those people. IGNORE. You can't educate them, you are not their teacher. You can't parent them, you are not their parent. That is not your responsibility.

If someone is a troll you ban, block or ignore. Same applies for those that accuse you of hacking. Also PC guys must have it tough then.
  • GuN_sLiNgErXD15
    197 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Yeah I still get the odd message on psn I just troll them for abit then leave chat or block and go about my day.
  • ashar_saleem121
    709 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Just got my first hate mail yesterday. Felt pretty good. The kicker is that I wasn't even playing outstanding.
  • Pincopallino097
    47 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited September 8
    When someone call me hacker I get it as a compliment, the best one because it means I am very good :), they can report you but EA/DICE guys aren't stupid, they won't ban you
  • BugsLaughter
    22 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Thank you for your replies.

What I am trying to say here is simply that as a community, we should be policing our own conduct to a degree, even if the conduct falls outside TOS.

I'll give you an analogy: It's the difference between a societal law (TOS) and societal norm (not cutting in line)

Where as some things aren't acceptable and are "outlawed" (against the TOS), some things are simply unacceptable. Accusing others of hacking just because they're doing well and pwning your **** is not acceptable, just like cutting in line is not acceptable.

If someone cut in line at the supermarket, bank or at the movies, while I may not be able to call a police officer about it, I can certainly say "Hey man, BACK OF THE LINE!"

I see that I posted this in the main Battlefield 1 General Chat forum. Perhaps I should have posted it in the PC community, as that community would understand the situation a bit better.
  • BugsLaughter
    edited September 8
    Additionally, Djoenz - Sociology, or the study of human behavior and society, is not limited to "non online" environments by any means.

But I appreciate your attempt to "put me in my place". I see what you did there :wink:
  • Djoenz
    Yup you are crossing a thin line here. Wanting to police online behaviour beyond the regular TOS and Way of Conduct. You can't understand that some kids, yes most are under aged kids, will troll just for the sake of it and want to somehow tell them NAH! bad kiddy.

Not to mention there are far worse issues online than hackusations lmao. What about Cyber bullying? Online harrassment? Let me not digress though.

Are you seriously telling me Hackusations is a priority on your list?
  • BugsLaughter

*facepalm* darmok015ba0.jpg

• BugsLaughter
    edited September 8
    No, I'm not saying that at all.

facepalm.png
  • Djoenz
    Alright then have a nice day sir. This discussion is over.
  • V2Face
    1871 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    No one is better then me in Battlefield 1 therefore if I lose a gun battle they are either hacking or using a mouse and keyboard. :/
  • Teh_Next
    1561 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited September 8
    Djoenz wrote: »
    Yup you are crossing a thin line here. Wanting to police online behaviour beyond the regular TOS and Way of Conduct. You can't understand that some kids, yes most are under aged kids, will troll just for the sake of it and want to somehow tell them NAH! bad kiddy.

Not to mention there are far worse issues online than hackusations lmao. What about Cyber bullying? Online harrassment? Let me not digress though.

No he's saying we should police our own conduct, like I am right now as I restrain myself from letting rip about how you get the wrong end of the stick, frequently.
  • cracksteady
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

Hey everyone. I wanted to take a moment to address the haccusations (an accusation that one is hacking) that seem to be common in not only Battlefield, but other games such as the recent “stream sniping” ban scandal in Battlegrounds.

I’ve been playing PC games since my early teen years, and this was roughly 20 years ago. I started off play the original Team Fortress Quake mod, moving on to Half Life mods such as Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat while they were in beta. I played the original Battlefield 1942 as well as other titles over Battlefields history.

Only recently in the past few years as PC gaming has developed more and more popularity have the haccusations really started increasing. I’m a student of Sociology (literally in college now for it) and have made some observations.

I think it’s the new, younger players coming into the game that accuse the most, and I think this is because by and large our society has encouraged a victim mentality in our youth. But I’m not here to soapbox on that. I digress…

Listen we all have bad games. We all get frustrated with our teams, or with that one guy that’s owning us the entire match. But to scream hacks? Where I come from in my gaming career, when I was a teenager, you Did. Not. Do. That.

Players like Gen-Oddessy are not hackers. They are skilled, practiced, and use squad tactics to achieve a massive amount of success. If you suspect someone of hacking, report them – it’s important to do that! But keep your mouth shut, because many times it’s not that someone is hacking, it’s just that they’re good. I got accused of hacking server side files the other day for goodness sakes. And I’m a mediocre player and my K/D was 22-20. Enough is enough.

I would encourage any veteran players to jump on this behavior when you encounter it in game. It’s time for this to be addressed and dealt with as the unacceptable behavior that it is.

"Listen we all have bad games. We all get frustrated with our teams, or with that one guy that’s owning us the entire match. But to scream hacks? Where I come from in my gaming career, when I was a teenager, you Did. Not. Do. That." <
    THIS RIGHT HERE... bro... your so o

Additionally, Djoenz - Sociology, or the study of human behavior and society, is not limited to "non online" environments by any means.

But I appreciate your attempt to "put me in my place". I see what you did there :wink:

Yeah I picked up on that as well.

Your right my friend ... I've even had my own friends complain and whine about so called "hackers" yet I'll stay in the top 5, highest kills/score with only a few deaths. I straight up can't stand it... like bro... you're not the best player in battlefield, there's always someone who's gonna drop you faster and better. Some kids have such an enlarged ego, they can't imagine someone better than them existing

Your right about it being something more prevalent in the younger community... I'm 25, so I guess I fall in that category, but I don't adhere to that behavior and i'm not sure what teachings instilled this as I wasn't raised much differently than other people. Maybe these entitled whiners seem more prevalent because the rest of us are too busy enjoying the game to claim haccusasions.
  • cracksteady
    121 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    sorry bout the wall.. I don't know why it did that... =/
  • Gen-Odyssey
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    play the game learn the mistake and Play as a Squad communication so you have a lot of advantage if you do that.. that's why they build this game for communication
  • MayorMarionBarry
    1337 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    None know more about the world and human behavior than those with a few college classes under their belt.
  • BugsLaughter
    Well, I'm 33 and have lived quite an interesting life, and I don't claim to know everything I have had some experiences with people and in reflecting on my own behaviors over the years. But I hear you man, a few college classes don't equal an education. :)
  • Temp1st
    2244 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    You should see Gen Odyssey, It happens to him on a almost every match basis.