The Maps...

«1
Claypole1
386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
edited September 2017
So, I know everybody is busy either unlocking the new DLC guns, or discussing the matter on here, but can we possibly spare a thought for something more important?

The maps. The base game maps are ok, some are good, some not so good. I don't think any of them will become future classics, but they were good enough to keep us going until the DLC maps came out.

However, I hate to say it, but the DLC maps have been somewhat underwhelming. DIce have done a great job of making them look good, but how long did people play TSNP before going back to the base maps?

I had hoped that TSNP was just a temporary dip in form, but I've not even played ITNOTS a week and I'm finding myself back on the vanilla maps.

It's not that all the DLC maps are bad, but it just feels like DIce are using some random map generating software to create the maps and then letting the artwork people add the finishing touches to give them that veneer of quality.

I look back and remember BF3 and BF4 maps (mostly BF3 tbh) being much better than BF1. Am I looking at the old maps through rose tinted spectacles, or has there been a major dip in form with BF1?

Comments

  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I like most of the maps, they feel balanced most of the time except Suez and Giants Shadow. Suez is great fun to play tho.
    So for a ranking:

    Excellent Maps: Amiens, Argonne Forest, Prise de Tahure, Fort Vaux, Tsaritsyn

    Good Maps: Suez, Brusilow Keep, Nivelle Nights, Soissons, Rupture, Verdun Heights, Ballroom Blitz, Monte Grappa, Quentins Scar, Albion

    Okay Maps: Galicia, Volga River, Empires Edge, Lupkow Pass, Sinai Dessert

    Bad Maps: Fao Fortress, Giants Shadow

    So this is a listing of the maps depending on how much fun I have with them. As you can see, all the DLC maps are either excellent good or okay. Where we have more excellent and good DLC maps than vanilla maps
  • clouseau2112
    221 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    And speaking of campers....since the Russian maps released it seems like all the Cod fanboys are playing BF1. I haven't seen this many campers in a long time.

    Love the new maps by the way....Bravo DICE.

    Oh...the iron sights on the Mosin-Nagant infantry really hamper viewable targets to the left and right. Seriously, I just can't use the gun and I'd love to. I know you want to be historically accurate, but you've made the Mosin unusable. Please consider changing the sights.
  • Danz_RS
    503 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2017
    Where is my post? I'm pretty sure I just sat down and wrote some respectful opinion, posted it and it is gone?

    Anyways, this game suffers from an issue called uninspired map design, at least until the TSAR DLC. Volga River and Brusilov Keep are good additions to the other 3 good maps in the game: St Quentin, Amiens and Fort de Vaux.
  • Claypole1
    386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Just playing Conquest on Albion, when I look at the overhead map view, it looks awesome, but when I actually play it, it doesn't feel like a game of Conquest, and it doesn't feel like an epic Battlefield map at all.

    It just feels like TDM wth some flags to capture for some easy points. It's as if DIce were happy to sacrifice depth of play in exchange for nice aesthetics. Same goes for all the DLC maps so far.
  • Danz_RS
    503 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2017
    Claypole1 wrote: »
    Just playing Conquest on Albion, when I look at the overhead map view, it looks awesome, but when I actually play it, it doesn't feel like a game of Conquest, and it doesn't feel like an epic Battlefield map at all.

    It just feels like TDM wth some flags to capture for some easy points. It's as if DIce were happy to sacrifice depth of play in exchange for nice aesthetics. Same goes for all the DLC maps so far.
    Albion has the pace of most BF4 maps, which means slow and boring, coupled with BF1's balancing problems like aim assist sweetspot snipers, extreme random deviation on guns that are supposed to be precise, no incentive to defending flags, current CQ system and airplane dominance and the biggest problem... IT'S NOT FEATURED IN OPERATIONS!
  • 187Bear
    578 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    It's all subjective. I really really dislike Lupkov pass and have a strong resentment of Tsaritsyn. Monte Grappa, Giant Shadow, even st quentin and verdunne they can keep. The new maps aren't nearly as bad as many people said they were but lupkov still is horrible and Tsaritsyn - it's all about the B flag and really not fun.
  • something0010
    56 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    fully agree.
    dunno if dice lost their lead map designer or what, but i also noticed a glaring difference and drop in quality for the BF1 maps compared to prior games. (talking just vanilla)

    there's only 2 maps i can say i really like. then a few ok, and sadly; too many i'd rather not play at all.
  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 2017
    CS-2107 wrote: »
    I like most of the maps, they feel balanced most of the time except Suez and Giants Shadow. Suez is great fun to play tho.
    So for a ranking:

    Excellent Maps: Amiens, Argonne Forest, Prise de Tahure, Fort Vaux, Tsaritsyn

    Good Maps: Suez, Brusilow Keep, Nivelle Nights, Soissons, Rupture, Verdun Heights, Ballroom Blitz, Monte Grappa, Quentins Scar, Albion

    Okay Maps: Galicia, Volga River, Empires Edge, Lupkow Pass, Sinai Dessert

    Bad Maps: Fao Fortress, Giants Shadow

    So this is a listing of the maps depending on how much fun I have with them. As you can see, all the DLC maps are either excellent good or okay. Where we have more excellent and good DLC maps than vanilla maps

    Judging by your post, you're one of those metrolocker campers who never left those maps in previous bf games.

    First of all this is the first Battlefield I play. And than: No I'm the medic who hates being sniped by the campers from the hills 5000000 meters away from any objective and wants maps that focusses the action a bit more and have some cover. Also I'm the one who will do anything he can to revive you and protect you for the time you need to get back into friendly forces. @llPhantom_Limbll
  • Mike_V1987
    597 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    The vanilla maps are ok for the most part but the DLC maps have been pretty underwhelming. Hate to say it but I liked the BF4 dlc maps better, and even those weren't all that great.

    Wasn't impressed with the french DLC and I haven't bothered trying the new dlc yet since I find this game to be a snore atm.
  • UltimateWeapon24
    50 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Claypole1 wrote: »
    So, I know everybody is busy either unlocking the new DLC guns, or discussing the matter on here, but can we possibly spare a thought for something more important?

    The maps. The base game maps are ok, some are good, some not so good. I don't think any of them will become future classics, but they were good enough to keep us going until the DLC maps came out.

    However, I hate to say it, but the DLC maps have been somewhat underwhelming. DIce have done a great job of making them look good, but how long did people play TSNP before going back to the base maps?

    I had hoped that TSNP was just a temporary dip in form, but I've not even played ITNOTS a week and I'm finding myself back on the vanilla maps.

    It's not that all the DLC maps are bad, but it just feels like DIce are using some random map generating software to create the maps and then letting the artwork people add the finishing touches to give them that veneer of quality.

    I look back and remember BF3 and BF4 maps (mostly BF3 tbh) being much better than BF1. Am I looking at the old maps through rose tinted spectacles, or has there been a major dip in form with BF1?

    Completely agree especially with the random generated bland cookie cutter maps.
  • Claypole1
    386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    CS-2107 wrote: »

    Completely agree especially with the random generated bland cookie cutter maps.
    Playing on Albion I get the impression they just typed in "Sea, Islands, Snow, Hills" and let the computer do the rest. All the other Russian DLC feels the same.

    Maybe they let real people design all the TSNP maps, and then realised the software did a better job?

  • IllIllIII
    4245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CS-2107 wrote: »
    I like most of the maps, they feel balanced most of the time except Suez and Giants Shadow. Suez is great fun to play tho.
    So for a ranking:

    Excellent Maps: Amiens, Argonne Forest, Prise de Tahure, Fort Vaux, Tsaritsyn

    Good Maps: Suez, Brusilow Keep, Nivelle Nights, Soissons, Rupture, Verdun Heights, Ballroom Blitz, Monte Grappa, Quentins Scar, Albion

    Okay Maps: Galicia, Volga River, Empires Edge, Lupkow Pass, Sinai Dessert

    Bad Maps: Fao Fortress, Giants Shadow

    So this is a listing of the maps depending on how much fun I have with them. As you can see, all the DLC maps are either excellent good or okay. Where we have more excellent and good DLC maps than vanilla maps

    Fort vaux is a good map???
    Youre gonna like CoD ww2.
  • JediMastaWyn
    591 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Do any of you guys whinging have any idea about actual game map design. I suggest you knock up some drafts for us all to see?
  • BigWoofWoof
    688 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Jumped back onto Amiens the other night, Conquest, not played it in weeks, you realise just how good a map it is, great fun to play on
  • CS-2107
    1554 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited September 2017
    IllIllIII wrote: »
    CS-2107 wrote: »
    I like most of the maps, they feel balanced most of the time except Suez and Giants Shadow. Suez is great fun to play tho.
    So for a ranking:

    Excellent Maps: Amiens, Argonne Forest, Prise de Tahure, Fort Vaux, Tsaritsyn

    Good Maps: Suez, Brusilow Keep, Nivelle Nights, Soissons, Rupture, Verdun Heights, Ballroom Blitz, Monte Grappa, Quentins Scar, Albion

    Okay Maps: Galicia, Volga River, Empires Edge, Lupkow Pass, Sinai Dessert

    Bad Maps: Fao Fortress, Giants Shadow

    So this is a listing of the maps depending on how much fun I have with them. As you can see, all the DLC maps are either excellent good or okay. Where we have more excellent and good DLC maps than vanilla maps

    Fort vaux is a good map???
    Youre gonna like CoD ww2.

    It depends on what you like. Of course it has a lot of grenade spam. But I'm still enjoying that more than a sniperfest or camping tanks on hills. But I guess if you like that more it is okay. I'm just more for a gunfight than a random dead from across the map.
    I don't like CoD ww2 it feels like all the weapons have basicly no recoil and therefor just not good. I listed that depending on how much fun I had on those maps. Fort Vaux is a great map for weapons like the new Vetterli rifle or the Fedorov.

    Oh and before anyone asks, no I don't have 100 service stars on neither Hellriegel or Automatico.
  • IllIllIII
    4245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    CS-2107 wrote: »
    IllIllIII wrote: »
    CS-2107 wrote: »
    I like most of the maps, they feel balanced most of the time except Suez and Giants Shadow. Suez is great fun to play tho.
    So for a ranking:

    Excellent Maps: Amiens, Argonne Forest, Prise de Tahure, Fort Vaux, Tsaritsyn

    Good Maps: Suez, Brusilow Keep, Nivelle Nights, Soissons, Rupture, Verdun Heights, Ballroom Blitz, Monte Grappa, Quentins Scar, Albion

    Okay Maps: Galicia, Volga River, Empires Edge, Lupkow Pass, Sinai Dessert

    Bad Maps: Fao Fortress, Giants Shadow

    So this is a listing of the maps depending on how much fun I have with them. As you can see, all the DLC maps are either excellent good or okay. Where we have more excellent and good DLC maps than vanilla maps

    Fort vaux is a good map???
    Youre gonna like CoD ww2.

    It depends on what you like. Of course it has a lot of grenade spam. But I'm still enjoying that more than a sniperfest or camping tanks on hills. But I guess if you like that more it is okay. I'm just more for a gunfight than a random dead from across the map.
    I don't like CoD ww2 it feels like all the weapons have basicly no recoil and therefor just not good. I listed that depending on how much fun I had on those maps. Fort Vaux is a great map for weapons like the new Vetterli rifle or the Fedorov.

    Oh and before anyone asks, no I don't have 100 service stars on neither Hellriegel or Automatico.

    It is the grenade spam that bothers me most.
    Sometimes i also like the spraying, for a change ;)
  • HydeAut
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Even Amiens - which is mostly considered one of the best BF1 maps - doesn´t come close to a map like Strike at Karkand as most houses are just there to block your path and can´t be entered. And a big part of the town is very linear and limiting free movement.
  • Danz_RS
    503 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited September 2017
    Do any of you guys whinging have any idea about actual game map design. I suggest you knock up some drafts for us all to see?
    Good map design? Maybe not in this game but lets return to BF3 and very few from BF4:

    -Strike at Karkand;
    -Caspian Border 2011 (BF3);
    -Sabalan Pipeline;
    -Damavand Peak (Rush only)
    -SHARQI PENINSULA (probably the best map of all time)
    -Scrapmetal;
    -Epicenter;
    -Bandar Desert (Rush);
    -Tehran Highway (Rush);
    -Noshahr Canals (Rush);
    -Azadi Palace;
    -Talah Market;
    -Markaz Monolith;
    -Kiasar Railroad;
    -Propaganda;
    -Lost Islands;
    -Nansha Strike.

    These all have better designs than BF1 maps, maybe with exception of St. quentin scar, Amiens and Volga River. I don't know what happened, if the drop in quality has something to with designers skills, or if they just don't care about good gameplay anymore, giving all the possible attention to the visuals, whatever... It's just hard to enjoy when most of the game is either just open ground/no cover sniper fest, or a clusterfuck of assaults shooting you in the back like Prise de Tahure and Tsarytsin.
  • Claypole1
    386 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Do any of you guys whinging have any idea about actual game map design. I suggest you knock up some drafts for us all to see?
    Whether I can design maps or not is irrelevant. I have paid money for maps that have supposedly been designed by people who design maps for a living.


    I expect maps that I have purchased to be considerably better than anything I might design myself.

    Look at a map like Volga River, where's the "design" part of that? The base maps might not appeal to all players, but at least they put some effort into them.

    I did expect the Russian DLC to be bleak, but that's no excuse for being bland.

Sign In or Register to comment.