How can you like Selbstlader 1906 so much?

Granathar
249 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
After seeing soo many hyped opinions about this gun I decided to give it a go. And after few rounds with it I'm now amazed how is this even possible that this gun has so high ratings. Selb 1906 is completely useless without ADS. It barely can hit anything while hipfiring even in 3 m radius, and you need 3/5 bullets to hit to actually score a kill. If you don't empty your mag - reload time is incredibly painful. And this mag is super small. It's optimistic TTK is 0,4 seconds... but real values are nowhere near that!

Because you have to ADS even being in knife range to the enemy, you have to hit 3/5 bullets to score a kill and smoke from the barrel completely obscures enemy, you have to wait a little for recoil to settle down and smoke to disperse - it suddenly becomes nearly a whole second. Add some random spread of bullets if you want use this gun at it's full ROF and 5 bullets may not be enough to kill anyone. And in CQC with more than 1 player - you ALWAYS die. You can't survive without switching to sidearm. Actually I had to switch to sidearm quite a lot even against one enemy, because 2 first bullets hit the enemy and the rest due to smoke, recoil and random spread just missed him and I was not allowed to continue spamming shots due to 5 bullet mag. People use slides and ADAD a lot and when they do that, 5 bullets is often not enough.

I was wondering - if this gun is so good, then why I'm basically never killed by it? I was killed many times with Selb 1916 - which is considered crappy. I am getting killed A LOT with M1907 Sweeper which is considered as bad weapon too. Selb 1916 has the same amount of bullets to kill as Selb 1906 BUT it has SO MANY MORE BULLETS. You can mash LPM and not worry about being low on ammo. You can focus on taking this guy down without second thoughts about mag size.

Looking at stats of these two:

http://symthic.com/bf1-ttk-btk-charts?medic=1

Selb 1906:

RPM = 299
Bullets to kill = 3 (at all ranges)
Mag size = 5
Recoil Up = 0.95
Recoil Left = 0.1
Recoil Right = 0.1

meanwhile 1916:

RPM = 224
Bullets to kill = 3 (at all ranges)
Mag size = 26
Recoil Up =1.1
Recoil Left = 0.53
Recoil Right = 0.53

OK, 1916 likes to spray to the sides more, that's true. It has lower ROF, that's also true - but in fact you can't even use this extra ROF in Selb 1906 because you basically need to count every bullet in your head, aim precisely and slowly, because you are not allowed to miss so much - you are getting stressed by using a gun with so small magazine. Meanwhile 1916 can spam like crazy - you can actually survive CQC against more than one guy, damn - you can survive against 4 of them without switching to sidearm if they are slow and unaware. Shots on larger distance need to be precisely aimed too, so you still use ROF lower that you theoretically could. So when it comes to practice these guns are nearly equal in ability of taking people down (1906 is a bit better) while 1916 gives you a lot more survivability, leaves you larger margin of error (how many times enemy just ran away because 5 bullets were not enough to hit him 3 times at larger distance, huh?) and gives you less stress because you don't need to look at your mag constantly.

Don't get me wrong - 1906 is not bad, but it's rather average IMO. It has pretty high skillgap and this skillgap probably can be better used with some other weapon anyway - for example RSC for which you need only 2 bullets to kill at close-medium range.

So what is so special about this one? What am I missing? I tested factory version as I don't have optical one unlocked yet (I actually use ironsights more than scopes anyway, even as scout). Maybe things are better with optical variant?

Comments

• BobsAndVegane
    1252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I'm sure most people love it only because they put in a ridiculous amount of time to actually become proficient with it, so of course they're going to have a high opinion of it in order to justify that time spent on something that likely made them irate on many occasions.
  • TheGM86
    812 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I don't like it all, as for this slanderous accusations implying such degenerate behavior that do the most heinous of harm on my reputation and character from whatever malevolent thought that spawn them, I can assure you, good sir, that you shall be hearing from my lawyer....a Jewish one.
  • Granathar
    I'm sure most people love it only because they put in a ridiculous amount of time to actually become proficient with it, so of course they're going to have a high opinion of it in order to justify that time spent on something that likely made them irate on many occasions.

I'm pretty annoyed by the fact that enemy runs away so often. I get assist as kill anyway most of the times, because 2 shots are enough to trigger it - yet in CQC it's a complete, stressful nightmare.
    TheGM86 wrote: »
    I don't like it all, as for this slanderous accusations implying such degenerate behavior that do the most heinous of harm on my reputation and character from whatever malevolent thought that spawn them, I can assure you, good sir, that you shall be hearing from my lawyer....a Jewish one.

You have my apologies good sir. I will vote you up as compensation of my sins, even if it's only a little.
  • Gforce81
    3666 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I'm not sure where to even start here, so I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead
  • crabman169
    12846 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Gold.

giphy.gif
  • USAFguy22
    288 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Not the best rifle, but def the most satisfying :)
  • Ccherif
    10 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I'm the type of gamer who tries to use the weapons most others steer away from. That being said, the 1906 is hands-down my favorite weapon in this game. At first it does tend to be frustrating but I assure you with practice and perhaps a bit of a change in play-style this gun is a beast. With 42 service stars and counting I can honestly say the accuracy and precision it offers is phenomenal. Granted it's not for everyone but it does yield great results in the long run.

Xbox One: TheOGBlueYoshi = Gamertag.
  • Temp1st
    2464 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2017
    Did you really just try to say that 1916 is better than the 1906...
    tenor.gif
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    1465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    Temp1st wrote: »
    tenor.gif

I only skimmed the thread, but that's the idea I got from it definitely.

Also hi. I rarely seem to sign in here these days, but just for this thread I bothered to. Only part I actually want to comment on though:
    Granathar wrote: »
    It has lower ROF, that's also true - but in fact you can't even use this extra ROF in Selb 1906 because you basically need to count every bullet in your head, aim precisely and slowly, because you are not allowed to miss so much - you are getting stressed by using a gun with so small magazine.

That sounds like a you problem, or perhaps more accurately a problem for people not acquainted with the gun. I don't feel at all stressed out and having to lower my firerate at close range, if anything I feel confident firing as quick as I can mash the trigger up to about 150-200m.
  • crabman169
    12846 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    tenor.gif

I only skimmed the thread, but that's the idea I got from it definitely.

Also hi. I rarely seem to sign in here these days, but just for this thread I bothered to. Only part I actually want to comment on though:
    It has lower ROF, that's also true - but in fact you can't even use this extra ROF in Selb 1906 because you basically need to count every bullet in your head, aim precisely and slowly, because you are not allowed to miss so much - you are getting stressed by using a gun with so small magazine.

That sounds like a you problem, or perhaps more accurately a problem for people not acquainted with the gun. I don't feel at all stressed out and having to lower my firerate at close range, if anything I feel confident firing as quick as I can mash the trigger up to about 150-200m.

Lel what would you know :trollface:

Got the Liu to 500 kills yet?
  • Desyatnik_Pansy
    1465 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    crabman169 wrote: »
    Got the Liu to 500 kills yet?

Lolno. Used it for the Codex and haven't touched it since (I don't plan on 5 Starring the INT Guns like I did the TSNP, since I don't like most of them). Haven't even got the 1906 Sniper to 5 Stars yet, picked it back up a bit ago but then went back to the Factory.
  • Head3masher
    1420 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I think its more satisfying to get kills with it, but a bit of a pain having to reload so often.

Still grinding for the 300 kills.
  • Granathar
    tenor.gif

In like half of the cases - actually yeah, only by having bigger mag Selb 1916 may get you out of situations where 1906 would leave you dead.
  • Temp1st
    tenor.gif

In like half of the cases - actually yeah, only by having bigger mag Selb 1916 may get you out of situations where 1906 would leave you dead.

There really is no realistic reason why you need that big of a mag on a SLR. Seb06 is strictly better for 1v1 situations and when your out numbered 2v1 for instance 9/10 you are dead anyways. But unlike with the Seb16, You are likely to kill at least 1 before you die.

If you want a larger margin of error (Nothing wrong with that) Mondragon is a much better choice for a SLR that is more forgiving.
  • IRISHPRIDE2287
    39 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Never ran the seb 06 .... I run the seb16 very often though and let me tell you guy spam shooting with this gun does not work .... the gun recoils all over the place .... that being said ..... the seb16 is extremely effective at medium to long .... at shorter distances it is still effective but you have to control your trigger tapping .... this isnt an LMG ..... at all ranges its a 3 shot kill wich is amazing .... 26 rounds is a big clip for a 3 shot/kill weapon ... do the math ... thats alot of kills with a clip .....

I dont know if you guys play the same way with every class but that shouldnt be that case .... if i want to spray bullets i go support ... if i want to run and gun i go assault ... so complaining about bullet spread when spraying is kind of ridiculous ... thats not what the seb06 or seb 16 is made for .... you want a fast and laser accurate rifle at short to medium ... use the autoloading 8.25 extended ... it has a rpm of 360 ... it shoots as fast as you can tap .... it has a 16 round mag ... extremely fast reload ... its the run and gun rifle for the medic class except for the automat .... the mondragon is also a great option , got lots of kills with it ... only 10 rounds but very accurate even when tryin to quick tap the trigger .

That being said ... the seb16 is an amazing rifle ... extremely accurate ... 3 shot kill at all ranges .... dont see gow you guys think this gun sucks whatsoever .... seems like a case of git gud to me .... like the french canadians say " bande de bebe lala"
  • Temp1st
    edited October 2017
    . dont see gow you guys think this gun sucks whatsoever .... seems like a case of git gud to me ....
    You know i was just about to say the same thing to the Seb16 fanatics..

Ill tell you why it sucks, It has the slowest RoF outside of the RSC (A gun that deals 50+ damage a shot)
    And on top of it has poor accuracy stats and a abysmal TTK even if you do get lucky with your spamming.

Mondragon, RSC, Cei Rigotti are all way better. The huge magazine really does not make that big of a difference over say 10 rounds that the Mondragon has. What Mondragon has over it for instance is way better accuracy stats, and better RoF.

Were Seb06 and AL8.35 are among the best guns in the game. Right up there with things like the Automatico for Assault.
  • VindictiV_V
    1347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    What Temp1st said.

You can't say "ppl not liking the Selb1916 need to gitgud" because that's the exact reason why you don't like the Selb 1906 or similar skill cannons (RSC, Al8 factory and marksman and G Liu).

I'll adress multiple misconceptions that were stated here in the this thread:

-"1906 (and similar skill cannons) have such a low "mag" capacity that they suck at hipfiring":
    Dude... first of all, why would you use any NON-trench SLR in hipfire mode? Second, Selb1906/1916 (and other longer range intended SLRs) should NEVER be used upclose unless you are caught by surprise which means a couple of things: you were flanked, your perception is bad and you entered a CQC situation not prepared. In both cases, the mistake falls on you and it's 100% your fault, not the weapon's. If you are to enter CQC environment, make sure to equip (AND USE!!!) a sidearm meant for CQC alongside your skillcannon intended for longer ranges. Best medic CQC sidearm would be, imo, the auto-revolver. It's a GREAT weapon that rewards accuracy (again, skill required) with incredibly low TTK for a side-arm (one of the top among the revolvers too!) plus reloads incredibly fast.

-"only 5 rounds suck":
    If you have good accuracy, you can near instantly drop targets regardless of range with the Selb 1906. Even faster if you're using the AL8 .35 variants or RSC on targets up to 45m. Your job as a medic isn't to jump in the fray and play as if you were an assault. No. You're supposed to stay behind the front line (assault and supports) and throw them heals and revives while covering them from a bit further with your SLR (all this is reinforced by the upcoming weapon rebalance patch where SLRs medium and long range capabilities are significantly buffed).

-"1916 is great with it's crazy mag capacity":
    The only time you will win a faceoff is against bad enemies or enemies using weapons not intended for the range at which you engage them. Those are the ONLY times you will win a faceoff on an enemy that knows your presence. Otherwise, anybody with good accuracy and using the selb 1906 (or other accurate skill cannons SLRs) or all medium range intended LMGs (thanks to the suppression) will kill you faster than you can kill him at medium range while at shorter ranges LMGs, SMGs and shotguns will eat you faster than you could say "Nerf high RoF weapons, Dice!" while, finally, at longer ranges snipers will laugh at you. So yeah, if you like to only kill unsuspecting foes or bad players, sure, go ahead and use the worst SLR (in terms of accuracy) in the game while I'll be using my RSC (or other skill cannons beside the G Liu) and win a lot more of engagements.
  • APBT
    842 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I like this weapon. It's very accurate. If you press the enemy with this weapon, you may not be successful.
    This is great weapon to sit back and challenge yourself.

Give it 10 rounds then it's OP. Give it 7 rounds and it's perfect.
  • Temp1st
    APBT wrote: »
    I like this weapon. It's very accurate. If you press the enemy with this weapon, you may not be successful.

If it had 7 rounds i would never use any other SLR again. 2 Kills in 1 full mag on top of being one of the most accurate SLR's in the game on top of being 3HKO at any range.

It would have no downsides at that point.
  • VindictiV_V
    1347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    APBT wrote: »

If it had 7 rounds i would never use any other SLR again. 2 Kills in 1 full mag on top of being one of the most accurate SLR's in the game on top of being 3HKO at any range.

It would have no downsides at that point.

That would essentially be a better G Liu in every way beside reloading speed haha