Weekly BF

KDR obsession and why is it so bad

Granathar
249 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited October 2017
I think that half of the problems of this game are made by one single thing: public KDR trace. I'm not saying about local KDR within match, this is good and should stay (but actually Rising Storm 2 has no death display and it's OK too, nobody feels bad for dying if he only took someone with him). I'm saying about whole "career" KDR tracing for certain players. KDR mania basically forces some people to camp. They know that nobody cares about their SPM or objectives capped - everyone just looks at KDR to determine if you are good or not.

And so they camp with arty truck or light tank on the hill crippling whole team by stealing tank slot or they hillhump with sniper rifle with complete disregard for objectives. They would rather be on the bottom of the scoreboard with KDR 10 than with 1 on the top. And so they don't PTFO. Because good player doesn't necessarily have very high SPM - but for sure he has high KDR.

Sheer existence of this one particular stat is very toxic, because for capping just one objective you can have amount of points equal to 10 frags and nobody cares about it - because nobody cares about score. KDR, KDR, KDR. If you want to determine if someone is good, what you do? You generally look at their KDR first.

I think that this stat should not be displayed publicly. It should be recalculated as some general score stat and we should only have some general info in trackers similar to CS:GO ranks. For example you may be top tier Assault but crappy Support, and it should all be traced separately. Many of these stats could remain to give some better view of certain player - but KDR for it's sheer toxicity should just go away.

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    5638 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    When this "toxic" buzzword will die? Reallty getting sick to see it here and there. Couldn't you find a proper wording here?
  • HuwJarz
    3916 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Why start a new thread when there is already and active one on this very subject? Did you feel your own view so important that it was worthy of a new one?

• Hessuniemii
    968 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    i would say the "Anti KD Obsession" is getting even worse by now
    this is really getting excessive

Just focus on your very own performance
    Have fun with the game, do what you like

people who care about stats let them care about them
  • Granathar
    i would say the "Anti KD Obsession" is getting even worse by now
    this is really getting excessive

You know why is it worse? Because last times I see more triggering situations like arty truck campers, light tank campers and other types of campers. People are basically statfarming. BF1 created camping pandemia in comparison to previous games according to opinions of veteran players. And KDR is one single stat that basically favours camping. And it's also the most important stat in people's heads. Before BF1 I played Rising Storm 2. This game had no death counter at all + no global stat tracking. This is just amazing how people can play without pimping their stats. Actually in large-scale war games there shouldn't be death counter. Because it's not CS:GO where if you die it's always your fault. You can die there because random mortar shell exploded over your head. So KDR is not even a fair stat to be honest.
  • Hessuniemii
    968 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I'm really going to have to repeat myself

• HandsomeBearCub
    280 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I don't understand this line of thinking at all. "Campers" are few and far between and the ones who actually do "camp", in the original sense of the word, will not get a high KDR becuase we got death cams in BF1 and plenty of access to grenades and other gadgets that can flush a camper. Camping generally means you're not close to medics as well which does not help your KDR.
    -
    If we're talking about people who are switching camping spots and end games with 6/0 then I would repeat that incredibly few people will actually do this. If a very small portion of the community is doing something then it really isn't fair to call it toxic, at the very least it's uneccesary to implement something that people enjoy improving upon because of a very small minority.
    -
    If we're talking about scouts who sit miles away from the objectives then again, it's not even good for your KDR to do that becuase not only is it hard to get kills(if you're REALLY far away, bullet drop in BF1 at 300-400+ meters is A LOT higher than BF4- tho we do have smaller maps in general~ no rifles have a OHK sweetspot mechanic this far away either) without many enemy players seeing where you're shooting from(not to mention scope glint on 5x+ zoom) and tell a friendly scout where they are. As a main scout player, I'll tell you it's incredibly easy(and satisfying) to kill other scouts who sit on a hill or whatever becuase they usually don't have the patience to constantly move- making it simple to land a headshot on them. And again they're away from Medics so...
    -
    If we're talking AA trucks then it's very subjective to what they're doing when they "camp". You can sit on a capped flag defending it while killing loads of enemies, preventing them from PTFOing AND discourage them from going for that flag. If they're sitting out in the field(aka not on or near an objective) and actually end the game with 40+ kills and a bunch of destroyed planes then I'd say they had an impact on the game. If it's another vehicle you can get a bomber and/or a few assaults to easily harrass/destroy it. If your enemies are ignoring a light tank with 6/0 on a hill essentially wasting your tank slot then there isn't really anything you can do about it, that's the nature of public servers in a casual game, removing overall KDR display certainly wont stop the few players who actually do it for that reason. I'd wager they would still do it just for the high KDR in any given match and maybe manually record the overall KDR in a notepad.
    -
    There are plenty of metrics you can(when combined) check that will let you know if someone is good apart from KDR such as KPM, SPM, MVPs, Revives/heals/resupplies, accuracy with x weapon, flags attacked etc etc- obviously depending on what gamemode and class they tend to play. If they actually think that only KDR matters for seeing if someone is good then they're a lost cause, tho I doubt that is the reason for them being obsessed with KDR, more likely they are stat nuts who focus on one thing like the guy who went and got 100 service stars with the Kolibri pistol or the pilot who is currently holding the highest KDR on BTR(2x higher than nr2 btw). These guys are so rare I don't understand why you consider it "toxic" or want everyone else to lose access to this stat becuase of them. The other people who choose to do the above things to get high KDR in a match usually aren't people who are "obsessed" with their overall KDR, they might just wanna have a decent KDR(and other stats) and decide to boost it a little after completing an assignment or whatever. Or they just wanna feel good about having that KDR in a single match once in a while.
  • Granathar

"Have fun with the game". Pretty hard to have fun when there is a KDR maniac occupying tank slot and camping from the hill while your team desperately needs armored support. Even harder when there are two of them. You guys have completely twisted ways of thinking. You think that when ONE person is doing harm to the game it's not this person fault. It's fault of all the others who are annoyed by it and who suffer from his selfishness. And it's THEM who should change the server, not this one particular guy.

It looks like in your eyes it's never problem with people who actually destroy game for other people - it's the people whose game is destroyed that are the problem, and they should just shut up and stop whining because it's their fault that they find this guy behavior bad for the game. I don't even know what to say to this, because it's ridiculous.
  • boutneus
    2474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I’ve seen plenty of mortartrucks spawn in when there’s an enemy armored train. It’s not really KD , it’s just bad players ‘noobs’ who couldn’t get a kill if they tried. Yes an armor sloth is wasted, just step up and try harder. Or if you’re team really sucks join the sniperhorde or switch server
  • MarxistDictator
    4946 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Well with how trash the team balance tends to be playing for a good KD is about all you can do while getting your guts stomped out on team stupid.
    When this "toxic" buzzword will die? Reallty getting sick to see it here and there. Couldn't you find a proper wording here?

Worst meme of 2017
  • Astr0damus
    2904 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Every platoon recruitment post wants people who PTFO, and yet every platoon recruitment post contains something to the effect of "must have at least __________ K/D"
    It makes no sense.
  • okachuka
    362 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes, it can be a bit annoying when armor is sitting in a hill, when team would need a bit of its support, i get it but if said tanker goes 40-0 in a game, he/she is only gaining tickets not loosing them so is it helping the team, yes and no. One question would also be: why pay so much attention for stat padders, when clearly you dont like them Op?
    I wouldnt be as decent/average in bf what i am now, If i would always be in a match wondering what everyone else are doing themselves, "oh look a tankstat padder in a hill, let me come take a look there and forget about my own game at the same time" nah, i rather pay attention in my own soldier and be in where my team needs help.

Long story short: k/d stat isn't going anywhere, nor are stat padders ever, so you either concentrate on your own doing or you concentrate what others are doing, it's up to you.
  • IllIllIII
    4245 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I literally never look at someone's overall KD.
    If i look at it at all i look at the inf kdr.
  • V2Face
    2664 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited October 2017
    Astr0damus wrote: »
    Every platoon recruitment post wants people who PTFO, and yet every platoon recruitment post contains something to the effect of "must have at least __________ K/D"
    It makes no sense.

It makes sense..why run with a platoon of players with 1 to -1 KDR? the ability to kill more then 1.5 players per death is significant when it comes to this game. Communication, team play and coordination is important but one good player can wreck a squad of 5 awful players.
  • MarxistDictator
    4946 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    But infantry KD includes all deaths, while being inflated by revives. Means nothing. Overall KD or bust.
  • HandsomeBearCub
    280 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Granathar wrote: »

"Have fun with the game". Pretty hard to have fun when there is a KDR maniac occupying tank slot and camping from the hill while your team desperately needs armored support. Even harder when there are two of them. You guys have completely twisted ways of thinking. You think that when ONE person is doing harm to the game it's not this person fault. It's fault of all the others who are annoyed by it and who suffer from his selfishness. And it's THEM who should change the server, not this one particular guy.

It looks like in your eyes it's never problem with people who actually destroy game for other people - it's the people whose game is destroyed that are the problem, and they should just shut up and stop whining because it's their fault that they find this guy behavior bad for the game. I don't even know what to say to this, because it's ridiculous.

The reason other's aren't overreacting to this is because it's not so common as to ruin the game. It's far from the only reason why team balance is bad. Having that tank slot being filled by people who just run into the enemy team and get killed is not better. But you focus on the guys who sets up camp on a hill because that particular thing annoys you. The bad tankers who run into the enemy team or never check for mines are less useful than the guy who is actually killing people from a hill.
    -
    A dead enemy can't PTFO.
  • boutneus
    2474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    And a tanker that doesn’t push up or flanks but just sits on a hill behind his friendly line is as useless as a sniper sitting there. The only difference being he is harder to be killed
  • Army_Eyed_Recon
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited October 2017
    I don’t see a problem with K\D ratio first let’s face the fact. If you can’t play the objective and have a 1.50 or above Kd you just aren’t that good. Been playing this game for awhile now it is beyond rare I see tank campers or anything people will play in a wide variation of ways.

Do your thing adapt, stop worrying about other people and how they play