Remembrance/Armistice/Poppy Day 11-11

zenn_nme
132 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
edited November 11
C4PRMY4XAAI6I9t.jpg:small

Today on the 11 hour, of the 11th day, of the 11month, of 1918 hostillities of WW1 formally ended.
And we remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.
Lest We Forget, has Battlefield got something planned for this occasion?

Comments

• llPhantom_Limbll
    1298 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    zenn_nme wrote: »
    Lest We Forget, has Battlefield got something planned for this occasion?
    Probably not. Maybe just a small mention right after the loading screen.
  • AlotOfThunder
    1207 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Today? That's interesting to know.
    Today is also Veteran's Day here in the U.S. (not to be confused with Memorial Day).

I did see a mention in the game menu about 100 years ago the Russian revolution starting. It popped up yesterday.
  • robmcewen
    1583 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Lest We Forget

I don't know if DICE or EA have planned anything.
  • Inf4mousR4zgriz
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Veteran's Day in the U.S was known as Armistice Day for a long time to commemorate the end of the war. It was changed later to Veteran's Day to encompass all the wars that came after but try to find that in an American history book.

• EdwinSpangler
    539 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Veteran's Day in the U.S was known as Armistice Day for a long time to commemorate the end of the war. It was changed later to Veteran's Day to encompass all the wars that came after but try to find that in an American history book.

Amazingly enough that was in my "Global studies" text book in my freshman year of high school.. Teacher made sure it was on that segments test..
  • bran1986
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 11
    Happy Armistice Day fellow Battlefielders.
  • robmcewen
    1583 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

A bit different from there usual music but is fitting for remembrance day/Veteran's Day
  • bran1986
    2843 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    robmcewen wrote: »

A bit different from there usual music but is fitting for remembrance day/Veteran's Day

You can never go wrong with Motorhead.
  • heresPaul
    51 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I remember watching a documentary and the armistice had already been agreed for that time but they were still giving orders to be fighting and getting people getting killed at 10:59am on the 11th, just crazy
    November 11th in 2018 is a Sunday so most people off work at 11am, they might have something planned but new battlefield may be out by then
  • Puckerbucket
    565 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    One of the WWI history books I read recently after acquiring the game was "The Doughboys" by Laurence Stallings. It is an anecdotal history written by a veteran who went on to be a Hollywood screenwriter after losing a foot in the war. In it he recounted a story from the final day of the war.
    German and French forces had been entrenched across a river from each other for so long that both sides had long since lost the will to fight. It was not uncommon to watch enemies on the other side of the line do their laundry washing, or playing cards, etc. The only times there were any "hostilities" were when some important higher-up arrived to inspect the situation, and the veterans would lob some shells over into pre-established, well-practiced locations where they were highly unlikely to hit anything or anyone. Once the higher-ups were satisfied that carnage was still in full rampage and left the location, life in the trenches went back to its normal boring state.
    On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the French forces watched as the old German veteran who'd been keeping "forward watch" on a chair at the front of the line stood up, removed his helmet and bowed deeply, then turned and walked away.
    That's an amazing book that I'd highly recommend to any WWI fan. It's not your usual sterile history book. It tells the history, but does so through a series of very personal stories that include the author's own remembrances, the exploits of the Harlem Hellfighters, General Pershing himself, Sergeant York... many others. The kind of gritty, first-hand combat stories that make you want to grab your guns and give it a go.
    Lest We Forget.
  • bran1986
    Definitely going to give that book a read.
  • Teh_Next
    1534 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
  • herodes87
    239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    In Germany no one carres about the 11 November or even WW1.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    913 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    herodes87 wrote: »

It could be possible that they don't care as much about that war due to the way that they lost in the war, as well as the several aspects and myths of the German WW1 campaign that were used to fuel the rise of the Third Reich.
  • robmcewen

Does Germany have a day to remember their fallen?
  • herodes87
    239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

No absolutly not. The lefties rule the Media and Parlament. We never had a day for Vets. Today in Germany soldier=evil criminal. Even our current army get no Support from the people.

The only National Holiday we have is the 3 october were Germany were united again 1990. No founding of the republic day or something else.

@Foch no its just that they don't care about the WW1. WW2 is more important. You See nearly every day documentations about WW2 and how evil we were.

We don't even celebrate or remind the first republic.
  • robmcewen

No absolutly not. The lefties rule the Media and Parlament. We never had a day for Vets. Today in Germany soldier=evil criminal. Even our current army get no Support from the people.

The only National Holiday we have is the 3 october were Germany were united again 1990. No founding of the republic day or something else.

@Foch no its just that they don't care about the WW1. WW2 is more important. You See nearly every day documentations about WW2 and how evil we were.

We don't even celebrate or remind the first republic.

That is very sad, They where someone's Sons, Brothers, and Fathers. My Grandad who fought in North Africa as a lance corporal in the Queen's own regiment West Surrey, Who's older brother died fighting in WW1, his home being bombed in the Blitz and was wounded by a mortar said he never hated the Greman soldier.
  • Trokey66
    4570 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited November 12
    FIFA and UEFA usually try to ban and penalise British football teams for wearing a poppy during internationals.

They recently decided that we could wear them IF the other side did not object.

Not only did Germany not object, they wore the poppy too.

Respect!

In my opinion with WW1, people don't see the other side as evil just the same as us dieing for thier country. With time, whilst the regime will always be viewed as evil, I think the same applies to the average WW2 German service men and women.

For me it helps having served in Her Britannical Majesties Royal Air Force for 30 years, I have had the pleasure of being on deployment with the Luftwaffe on several occasions and they can be right bloody hoot!
  • robmcewen
    It's better to be friends than enemies, remembering who we have lost in these dark parts of our history is a part of that, never again.
  • 007-_MoJo_-007
    3 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited November 12
    heresPaul wrote: »
    I remember watching a documentary and the armistice had already been agreed for that time but they were still giving orders to be fighting and getting people getting killed at 10:59am on the 11th, just crazy
    November 11th in 2018 is a Sunday so most people off work at 11am, they might have something planned but new battlefield may be out by then

Yes you are right, sickening:
    Some scenes maybe upsetting(FYI)