Weekly Debrief

I think I can hardly blame people for playing Scout most of the time

Granathar
249 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited November 2017
Last few days I play only new TSAR maps due to operation campaigns. I generally like all classes (despite Support actually), but I was bad with bolt-action rifles before and decided that russian maps are good occasion to improve my Scout performance. After playing Scout nearly as much as I played as Assault and Medic before - switching classes feels bad.

Scout weapons are generally the only ones that actually feel powerful. You don't always kill with one shot, but you rarely do less than 80 dmg and you know that your bullets are bullets and not jelly beans. SMGs can trick you with it's RPM, so Hellriegel or Automatico feel powerful enough, because in CQC enemy melts fast. Medic rifles... well, sometimes they feel powerful, and sometimes you start to wonder if this is actually a gun or toy. Federov is generally good in CQC, but at a little bit longer distance it's pretty laughtable. 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... bullets WTF, this guy is still running. Is this even a weapon? Not to mention LMGs. Omg these are completely terrible. After getting used to spreadless, powerful bullets of bolt-action rifle it's like someone punched you in the face. You not only need like half a million bullets to kill a guy but also these bullets fly basically everywhere. Only MG-14 feels like actual LMG and despite it's huge recoil (you would expect that from LMG actually) it's the only LMG that truly does it's job by ripping people in half at generally any distance. BAR or Chauchat are assault rifles rather than LMGs to be honest.

I was SO BADLY ANNOYED by RNG spread after using bolt-action rifles. With bolt-action I always know that it was my fault that I missed a shot. With LMGs and many SLRs it's more random than skill based actually.

Hillhumping is still a bad thing, but I'm not suprised why people don't want to use other weapons.

Comments

• Dogwoggle11
    2669 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Random bullet deviation is pretty bad, especially on SLRs, and I don't even know what DICE was thinking when they implemented it.
  • DaMutha1
    1266 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    RSC, pew pew dead. 1906 sniper, pew pew pew dead.
  • Granathar
    edited November 2017
    DaMutha1 wrote: »
    RSC, pew pew dead. 1906 sniper, pew pew pew dead.

Lol 3 shots to kill while having 5 in mag. Meanwhile you have bolt action rifle that kills with 1 bodyshot in sweetspot range and with headshot at any range. So even if it has 5 bullets in mag it may mean 5 dead enemies. As Scout I sometimes killed like 4 guys within 6-8 seconds. I would reload this 1906 longer than that.
  • DaMutha1
    1266 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    True, but I like having my med packs, and on the Russian maps (especially Operations) the smoke rifle grenades are quite useful. Plus the sound the 1906 makes is worth it. :)
  • Dogwoggle11
    In terms of power (as in damage) the SLRs are fine. It's the whole random bullet deviation that is silly.
  • Granathar
    In terms of power (as in damage) the SLRs are fine. It's the whole random bullet deviation that is silly.

If they nearly remove random bullet deviation of SLRs and increase their max damage range for balance reasons, so they behave more like "fast shooting bolt-actions" in terms of accuracy then SLRs will be very good weapons. They will be viable at nearly any distance at price of not this good CQC TTK, but with ability to self heal. LMGs will stop being silly pew-pew toys, because right now they are terrible weapon class. I'm just not sure why Hellriegel and Automatico need boosts.
  • MarxistDictator
    4949 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2017
    Yeah it's pretty obvious the power of the sniper class was hugely buffed while other classes hugely nerfed in the transition to this game. I play scout mainly when I still want a high Infantry KD but don't want to actually put any effort forth.
    Granathar wrote: »

If they nearly remove random bullet deviation of SLRs and increase their max damage range for balance reasons, so they behave more like "fast shooting bolt-actions" in terms of accuracy then SLRs will be very good weapons. They will be viable at nearly any distance at price of not this good CQC TTK, but with ability to self heal. LMGs will stop being silly pew-pew toys, because right now they are terrible weapon class. I'm just not sure why Hellriegel and Automatico need boosts.

Because if they flatly laid out a new TTK model that only changes certain guns some others would be totally left out.

I can say from experience in the SMG category the MP18 and Ribberyolles are the new best weapons in the kit (unless the ungodly M1912S Machinepistol Storm doesn't get the nerfs literally all CTE players are crying for) while the Hellriegel actually has strong competition in the high magazine SMG role from the Maxim 08/18 because of its higher damage superior recoil and range. Automatico is literally only relevant for fire rate now.

The BAR is another gun a lot of players whine about recieving a buff but ultimately in practice the disadvantage of it finally feels relevant. It isn't the only LMG capable of standing toe to toe with 300 RPM medic guns or assault anymore, so vs the other LMGs the tiny magazine started to really feel like a handicap. It was the last LMG I wanted on a huge flank whereas before it was one of the only I'd choose.
  • DaMutha1
    I've been loving the Ribeyrolles lately, especially since I refuse to use the Noobriegel anymore in protest.
  • MarxistDictator
    4949 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2017
    Then in new TTK you'll love it even more outgunning certain LMGs
  • Granathar
    Then in new TTK you'll love it even more outgunning certain LMGs

Ribey is something like pocket-BAR even now.
  • MarxistDictator
    edited November 2017
    Yeah I just wish they would give it more magazines total, that and the MP18 could go for more bullets even without changed TTK.
  • disposalist
    8669 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited November 2017
    Random bullet deviation is pretty bad, especially on SLRs, and I don't even know what DICE was thinking when they implemented it.
    I think they were thinking that weapons are not all like lasers, especially in WW1 and that giving weapons an effective range gives class interdependency which is a good tactical feature.

I vastly prefer the slower, more tactical, more thoughtful gunplay in BF1 to the one-gun-works-at-all-ranges-tap-tap-dead gunplay in other modern shooters.

Though the reduced TTK change will screw that up and please the modern shooter fans :(
  • Goofy-The-Sc0t
    1214 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    DaMutha1 wrote: »
    I've been loving the Ribeyrolles lately, especially since I refuse to use the Noobriegel anymore in protest.

Me too, since they nerfed the muzzle flash ive been using it a ton :)
  • Dogwoggle11
    I think they were thinking that weapons are not all like lasers, especially in WW1 and that giving weapons an effective range gives class interdependency which is a good tactical feature.

I vastly prefer the slower, more tactical, more thoughtful gunplay in BF1 to the one-gun-works-at-all-ranges-tap-tap-dead gunplay in other modern shooters.

Though the reduced TTK change will screw that up and please the modern shooter fans :(

I'm not exactly in favour of the TTK changes as they are now on the CTE.

But, for gameplay, I think it's bad that your bullets don't go to the point you are aiming. Realistically, it makes sense. In a game, it creates frustration.
  • boutneus
    2474 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    And another sniper not pushing the objective joins the Tsar operations:p
  • beetroot888
    768 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    At launch I was all about ptfo medic. Got my butt shredded for months. Started playing as scout on certain maps, no more shredding. Now I do the shredding. Random bullet deviation and suppresion killed medic class for me. Rbd and supp should count at range but when your in the same room! Or close range its who gets the drop on who. Thats more realistic than my medic guy turning yellow at the site of a lmg close range. After 1200hrs playing this game I get 1-1.5 kd as medic, 3-4kd scout and I play as aggresive either class. Iron sites only. 350 out of 15000 scout kills with scopes. If the slrs were even half as accurate as bolt actions i would go back to medic.
  • MarxistDictator
    edited November 2017

What? Most cartridges from the era are still in use today. Some people even still hunt with rifles from that era. They were insanely accurate guns with an excessive amount of power. WW1 was around 25 years after the invention of essentially modern firearms (smokeless powder).

Medic SLR bloom is just a handicap on the class to prevent it from playing where it should be played effectively. As if the fact that medic rifles cannot suppress when they hit you wasn't a big enough drawback compared to literally anything else.

I also don't get how making more guns than just snipers deadly wrecks the entire game but I'm all ears.

The main reason the gunplay is on the books is because its not very satisfying in the current state. Crucial to the popularity of any shooter is good gunplay. An LMG that takes 7 bullets to kill and only has a 26 round magazine is not fun or rewarding to use.

Most people don't have any faith in the guns in this game hence the total lack of variety in player choice and the explosives/sniper spam in every lobby.
  • CHAMMOND1992
    1190 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    SLR's are the best class of gun in the game. If you're struggling with medic then you don't know how to play that class.
  • trip1ex
    4882 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited November 2017
    Gunplay is great. I have never had a problem dying quick.

• MarxistDictator
    edited November 2017
    The wonder of the currently extreme TTK is that when it's lowered slightly it still doesn't feel instant. There's just less need to paint targets as the support class or pace shots with a gun that visually appears to settle on screen. Its a fun system.
    SLR's are the best class of gun in the game. If you're struggling with medic then you don't know how to play that class.

Medic is my most played because he doesn't have ridiculous restrictions on accuracy or damage output like LMGs suffer. But the shot bloom is artificially real in this game because of how slowly most SLR guns will recenter. Things like that rub me the wrong way it seems so unneeded in game. If I can account for recoil and recover the gun several frames ahead of when the sights recenter why should I have to wait for my cone of fire to tighten? There's no suggestion it would do so.

And it is true that medic is the only class that really suffers from suppression on top of not being able to inflict it, so..