Why are empty servers showing not-empty in the server browser?

bibbis
9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
Why does it look like this in the browser even thought the servers are COMPLETELY EMPTY when I connect to them?
https://imgur.com/a/sTKz5
I've been refreshing and trying to connect to "active" servers for an hour now...

Comments

• thegrizz72
    149 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Try using battlelog instead of the new UI.
  • bibbis
    thegrizz72 wrote: »

Nooooooooo, I can't stand using battlelog! :(
    I really despise using it :(
    Is it really more reliable?

Having a server browser OUTSIDE of the game is the dumbest idea Dice has EVER come up with.
    I was so happy to have it integrated into BF4...
  • thegrizz72
    149 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    The new UI looks nicer but it's broken. Just try battlelog and see if it works better for you. Also if you get kicked from a server the new UI wont show the reason, battlelog does.
  • bibbis
    The new UI looks nicer but it's broken. Just try battlelog and see if it works better for you. Also if you get kicked from a server the new UI wont show the reason, battlelog does.

Okay. Thanks
  • bibbis
    edited December 2017
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no I can't do it I can't stand it I can't **** stand it......

It honestly takes MUCH SHORTER TIME to just join and leave servers OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN by using the in game server browser, until I find a server that is actually active, than it takes **** AROUND WITH THE **** JOKE THAT IS BATTLELOG.

Battlelog is the reason I stopped playing Battlefield 3.
    I didn't stop playing because I got tired of the game, but because I got so **** TIRED of having to fight with battlelog every **** time I just wanted to play the game.

And now I'm right **** back there...

I try to join, the **** game crashes during boot-up/loading, because WHY THE **** NOT?
    It doesn't crash when I'm NOT using battlelog to start it...
    And now I'm infinitely stuck on "waiting for game to exit" which prevents me from joining anything else...

THE GAME ISN'T RUNNING YOU INCOMPETENT PIECE OF ****!
    Just **** connect me!
    Start the **** game and connect to the **** server!

And, OF COURSE, punk buster errors.
    Because why would that NOT still be a problem in 2017?

I'm sticking with the annoying, broken, irritating integrated server browser where I am free to connect/disconnect to whichever server I want, as many times as I need to, until I find a good server.
    Because anything, **** ANYTHING is better than having to use battlelog...
  • RustedRoot
    2709 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Nope, battlelog is better for BF4. Use whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is the UI is broken for BF4. Plain and simple. Keep using that broken stuff and enjoy.
  • Maddayz
    103 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Oh yeah definitely... Battlelog is better for BF4... If it were actually working maybe? Over half the servers appear as full when they're empty. Happens on both Chrome and Firefox.
  • BurtTheBlueberry
    370 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited December 2017
    You could use battlelog coupled with the betterbattlelog browser plugin and the true player count plugin
    http://prntscr.com/hq57od
    copy this link into the empty text box and hit enter. https://getbblog.com/plugins/user/160260.js
    servers will show a second playercount like this http://prntscr.com/hq58pq
  • bibbis
    RustedRoot wrote: »
    Nope, battlelog is better for BF4. Use whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is the UI is broken for BF4. Plain and simple. Keep using that broken stuff and enjoy.

Can you explain how it's broken?
    It's not plain to me at all.
    In my experience, I have 1 issue with it, and that is when I get trouble with the player count for servers.
    It's annoying when that happens, but it doesn't happen all the time.

However, I have several issues with battlelog, every single time that I use it.
    Every, single, time.
    Mostly connection issues, but also other stuff like the game not being able to launch in a stable way through battlelog so that it crashes very often, which locks all functionality in battlelog until it finally understands that the game is NOT running any more.
    So, for me, I have a much better time with the integrated browser.
    You could use battlelog coupled with the betterbattlelog browser plugin and the true player count plugin
    http://prntscr.com/hq57od
    copy this link into the empty text box and hit enter. https://getbblog.com/plugins/user/160260.js
    servers will show a second playercount like this http://prntscr.com/hq58pq

Okay, I will look into this the next time I'm unable to play.
    Thanks for sharing, and it's cool that there are always people who can fix issues with games that developers themselves can't understand.
    But hey, it's only Dice we are talking about here.
    They are just a small, almost unknown indie studio.
  • ErrorSource
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I think its a server/admin plugin. Which tells the system that there are more people on the server to populate them
  • Niffenator
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    It's common for server admins to use seeding software to make the server seem more populated in the server browser than it actually is. The incorrect player count thing is done deliberately, in order to get more traffic to the server. The player count in Battlelog is frequently misleading, saying that there are 40-odd players in a 64p server, when there is really only 5 or 6.
  • VaFutlnCur
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    edited December 2017
    its a lie. *inappropriate*
    Post edited by EA_Alexander on
  • GUNNY1966
    683 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bibbis wrote: »

Nooooooooo, I can't stand using battlelog! :(
    I really despise using it :(
    Is it really more reliable?

Having a server browser OUTSIDE of the game is the dumbest idea Dice has EVER come up with.
    I was so happy to have it integrated into BF4...

Yea well what you hate may not work as well as you think & it also has between a 3 & 12% hit on your CPU ( Tested / Proven ) so with that being said if your playing a FPS game you need all the CPU can give you. In the link provided below look for #49 & use it unless your willing to give up your processor's performance just so you can have the eye candy!

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/2511/bf4-pc-help-tips-tricks-suggestions#latest
  • KysMofunka
    26 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Just a note that I have identified this full/empty issue as an exploit server owners are using to "seed" their servers. They are running some sort of program that does a user connect/disconnect, that keeps the player count up. Having run a server myself I could see tons of join/quit messages in my RCON logs -- this exploit needs to be looked into by EA -- it's not just some random occurrence or BL vs GUI issue.
  • PushEtToTheLimit
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    KysMofunka wrote: »
    Just a note that I have identified this full/empty issue as an exploit server owners are using to "seed" their servers. They are running some sort of program that does a user connect/disconnect, that keeps the player count up. Having run a server myself I could see tons of join/quit messages in my RCON logs -- this exploit needs to be looked into by EA -- it's not just some random occurrence or BL vs GUI issue.

100%, it's showing all kinds of "25/48" or such servers on Battlelog, yet they are all empty and have no ticket losses. I found the extension on the Chrome Web Store; it looks like a massive EULA/TOS violation and I've written about it twice to Chrome Web Store just now.
  • 2fertrippin
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    The in game browser does not provide as much information on servers as battlelog. That's a fact. Use the in game one if you like, but it is definitely inferior to battlelog. Sometimes I have to log out and back in to get it to launch a game properly, and it quite often displays incorrect player counts on servers, but again, it is better.
  • RustedRoot
    2709 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    ^ That. The UI was developed more for Battlefield 1. They just threw BF4 in there for whatever reason.
  • 2fertrippin
    edited April 2018
    If you take the extra step in Battlelog and click on "VIEW FULL SERVER PAGE" on the bottom right side of the page it will give you an accurate player list.
    Post edited by 2fertrippin on
  • PEWx2
    5 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member

This doesn't help, it also shows false player count.
  • 2fertrippin
    edited April 2018
    KysMofunka wrote: »

100%, it's showing all kinds of "25/48" or such servers on Battlelog, yet they are all empty and have no ticket losses. I found the extension on the Chrome Web Store; it looks like a massive EULA/TOS violation and I've written about it twice to Chrome Web Store just now.

I have suspected something like this is going on for a while now. Maybe a little pressure needs to be put on EA for them to look into it and stop it. (Edit) Who am I kidding, they ain't gonna do ****. lol
    Post edited by 2fertrippin on