Cavalry...again

Callahan44er
5052 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
Not many topics have been discussed more i guess,but we have to talk about cavalry. Its a pure joke atm imo. You can use horses all match because no one uses them,because they just suck.
Infantry should fear cav imo,but cav has to fear lmgs,hellriegel etc. They die way too quick,horse and rider.
I never had a problem with cav,if you are aware of your surroundings its hard to get suprised by a horse and if they dont suprise you they are easy to dodge.
but people cried because its just a horse and the rider with his bad rifle had a chance in 1vs1 thanks to his armour.
Imo cav is good to flank if your squad spawns on you and good against vehicles,thats about it.
They also get no customization or perks.
It was once really fun,sometimes a bit frustrating,nowadays you have to be super careful which often just doesnt work,cause its a horse. Loud,big,buggy. One little movement mistake and your usually dead.

Comments

• l_water_l
    1213 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    They really should give cav another option for the primary weapon.
  • Ploodovic
    1021 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Has any changes been made to when you’re mounted? I know they get no armour while on foot nowadays (even though they’re still wearing the breast plate). Regarding customisation, I agree the cavalry needs some love.
  • Febelas
    101 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I've been playing cav recently and I feel like making a similar thread every single time I play.

If a support or assault spots you from more than ~20 feet away, you're going to lose most of your health. If you fail to kill them, which is easy with the ridiculously bad hit detection or hitboxes (I've watched multiple people survive even when my hooves or lance literally clips through them), then they'll leave you with less than 10 health. If there's anyone accompanying them, you die.

It should be noted that all of this assumes you're not getting stuck on terrain or randomly pushed out of sprint, in which case you'll stand there looking like a moron as the enemy casually bathes you in bullets.

And to top it all off, the repair for the horse takes literal ages. Tanks repair faster and they're immune to everything except explosives. Meanwhile horses, which can lose most of their health on a single pass, are forced to scuttle off and hide for a minute or two straight.

Speaking fixes though, I don't even think they need to increase the cav armor. If they made it so you can't be knocked out of sprint, fixed the random stops on terrain, fixed the hitbox detection, and improved the speed of horse 'repair,' I think the class would be in a decent place and fit the "high risk, high reward" style that cavalry is supposed to have.

I suppose they could add another primary weapon, just to freshen up the class. Maybe a sawed-off shotgun?
  • Ploodovic
    1021 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Can you not heal your horse with medkits anymore?
  • bleachee
    955 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think the 1895 Cavalry should be more like the 1895 Infantry and not the Trench variant, especially now that on-foot armor has been removed. I agree that health regeneration for the horse is too slow. The horses overall health could be increased as well.
  • disposalist
    7227 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Have a look at the end of this post: -

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_live/comments/7byh6s/battlefield_1_cte_improvements_new_specializations/?st=JBI0EMKK&sh=fc514bc5

Don't hold your breath, though. Cavalry has been consistently nerfed since release.
  • Ploodovic
    bleachee wrote: »
    I think the 1895 Cavalry should be more like the 1895 Infantry and not the Trench variant, especially now that on-foot armor has been removed. I agree that health regeneration for the horse is too slow. The horses overall health could be increased as well.
    I actually disagree with this rifle change. The armour removal while on-foot was probably made to dissuade people from spawning as cavalry, only to immediately dismount and run around as an infantry man with armour and an ability to heal yourself. If they were given a more powerful rifle, I think it would again encourage some people to immediately dismount.

As a minor point, I think it’s also more appropriate with a carbine for cavalry, since you need to operate it with one hand.
  • Callahan44er
    5052 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Ploodovic wrote: »
    bleachee wrote: »
    I actually disagree with this rifle change. The armour removal while on-foot was probably made to dissuade people from spawning as cavalry, only to immediately dismount and run around as an infantry man with armour and an ability to heal yourself. If they were given a more powerful rifle, I think it would again encourage some people to immediately dismount.

As a minor point, I think it’s also more appropriate with a carbine for cavalry, since you need to operate it with one hand.

In the beta it was worth dismounting,but in the real game not so much. Snipers had a hard time because without a headshot they really got no chance,nearly all other guns could still killed you very fast. There was no time to miss a shot with cav. Now im hitting people once and im dead usually,i dismount when i have to people know where i am and the russian trench is often really bad in such cases. It would be okay if 1 lmg in a good spot wasnt enough to kill your horse in a few secs. But horses are harder to play then any other class as well.
  • RomioiStrategos
    397 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Back in the day I added the top cavalry on xbox to see how I compared to him. There was really no comparison. He was much better. I learned quite a lot from him(and no, it's not that LTC_Killstreak poser). He stopped playing for a while and now he is back and I just saw he had a 56-3 game on conquest, Fao Fortress. That makes me think that maybe there is something that I need to improve as opposed to something changed in the game. Maybe that goes for most of us. He has always been a killing machine despite all the nerfs and that just makes me think that there is just something I'm doing wrong. I still have to figure out what it is.

One thing though, I think it is a mistake to consider the rifle as your main weapon and I think a lot of people are doing that and have just forgotten how to use the sword and don't know how to use the spear. I've killed more cavalry in the past month since coming back than in the last 3 months before I left because every time an enemy cavalry sees me they take out the rifle and start shooting me in the back or worst, facing me. Big mistake. To me(and in the style of the top cavalry I told you about) the rifle is merely an auxiliary.

Now as far as support... they really aren't my main problem. They become a problem when they are with a group of people because they will take most of your health and the others will finish you off. But most of the time I still kill them no problem. If they see me they are usually confident they lmg will kill me and they just stand there. I do a serpertine motion as I approach them to miss some bullets and kill them.
  • SWE-Androctonus
    537 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I remember in the beta. A headshot did 14dmg on a dismounted cav. And they had the 1895 with sweetspot.

The cav is ok right now. They are good at slicing camping scouts, but it´s not a one man army as before. there was no point what so ever to spawn on a flashing gimmi flag on a map with horses. It was always a dismounted cav and impossible to kill 1v1.
  • mrtwotimes
    452 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I continue to enjoy cavalry when I choose to mount up. Even without armor or whatever there seem to be plenty of enemy soldiers to kill being not aware of you or the next direction you'll be charging in from.

I'm not even sure any changes made are actually affecting outcome much differently. I've actually stopped in front of a enemy recently and let him shoot me on mount while I straightened up and fully charged him to death so it can go both ways .
  • MarxistDictator
    4272 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Cav is better than he's been for a while. The complete lack of unmounted armor is something I disagree with but riding on the horse isn't as terrible and we have had some ease of life changes since then. Bucking the horse onto a medkit is no longer necessary and a single MP18 magazine won't kill you off the horse anymore. Horse regen being too slow and unaffected by medkits is the only change I wanna see now.

The lance is awful though, still, and the problem with it is entirely based in WHEN the hitboxes strike on it, not where they're situated. It hits at the very end of the animations and it makes it so unintuitive to use. The life after I got my last lance kill for an achievement I put the saber back on and got 19 kills in a couple minutes before the round ended because it's just so much more effective. The majority of the time it'd look like I was about to skewer someone I'd just get a roadkill instead...it's so underpowered it's not funny.

Though I will say this, I hope they adjust the cavalry modifiers in new TTK or he'll be right back to being a joke. The new Browning LMG is already my nemesis when I'm on a horse, dying to every support won't be fun.
  • disposalist
    7227 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    They've gone from being vulnerable but fun on horseback and able to overcome the bad weapons on foot due to the armor and health/ammo to being more vulnerable and tricky and barely more dangerous than riding a motorcycle and being the infantry with terrible weapons who doesn't live long enough to self heal or use enough ammo to re-supply.

You are better off spawning a medic and getting in a car/bike.
  • V2Face
    2534 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I can still put in work on horseback but the nerfs were super unnecessary seeing as he was a niche pick around launch. Best way to be effective with them now is to shoot from horseback and harass enemy armor with the anti tank nades. I never try to use the saber/lance unless I can for sure secure the kill due to them being unaware. Maybe the devs will one day show them some love and give them perks and different rifle customization options because at this point they same like a troll class. Ride around, swat at the enemy, get caught on a stone then die.
  • disposalist
    V2Face wrote: »
    I can still put in work on horseback but the nerfs were super unnecessary seeing as he was a niche pick around launch. Best way to be effective with them now is to shoot from horseback and harass enemy armor with the anti tank nades. I never try to use the saber/lance unless I can for sure secure the kill due to them being unaware. Maybe the devs will one day show them some love and give them perks and different rifle customization options because at this point they same like a troll class. Ride around, swat at the enemy, get caught on a stone then die.
    DICE must have the stats showing them unspawned for much of the match. I see that all the time. Hopefully they will be buffed/un-nerfed.
  • i40ozz
    222 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They should give back some dismounted armor. Occasionally, even the best riders get stuck and need to dismount. Not being able to scurry away once your vehicle is fkd....sucks! At least the pilot and tankers get the sawed-off and frommer stopper for those sticky situations.

If they wanted less players to dismount, they should have given more incentive to staying on the horse. This could have been done by allowing squadmates to spawn while you are mounted.

Although, the main issue is the packet lose. Swinging through enemies and riding over health packs to not have them work has killed me too many times to count. As of lately I have been using the rifle more and the mounted crosshairs need to be tightened up, the center of the crosshairs is too wide and will cause you to miss frequently. It is not an accurate representation of that rifle's hitbox.

They also need to remove the HE tripwires being a OHK for horses. How is that possible when they only do 70 damage to infantry?
  • Callahan44er
    V2Face wrote: »
    DICE must have the stats showing them unspawned for much of the match. I see that all the time. Hopefully they will be buffed/un-nerfed.

It also doesnt help they spawn back in the base,no one wants to ride for 30 secs only to die because of a little rock or fence. They could spawn on your "homeflag" if you own it. The d horse on fao gets used more often at least.
  • Miles_Vappa
    258 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited January 4
    Febelas wrote: »
    I've been playing cav recently and I feel like making a similar thread every single time I play.

If a support or assault spots you from more than ~20 feet away, you're going to lose most of your health. If you fail to kill them, which is easy with the ridiculously bad hit detection or hitboxes (I've watched multiple people survive even when my hooves or lance literally clips through them), then they'll leave you with less than 10 health. If there's anyone accompanying them, you die.

It should be noted that all of this assumes you're not getting stuck on terrain or randomly pushed out of sprint, in which case you'll stand there looking like a moron as the enemy casually bathes you in bullets.

And to top it all off, the repair for the horse takes literal ages. Tanks repair faster and they're immune to everything except explosives. Meanwhile horses, which can lose most of their health on a single pass, are forced to scuttle off and hide for a minute or two straight.

Speaking fixes though, I don't even think they need to increase the cav armor. If they made it so you can't be knocked out of sprint, fixed the random stops on terrain, fixed the hitbox detection, and improved the speed of horse 'repair,' I think the class would be in a decent place and fit the "high risk, high reward" style that cavalry is supposed to have.

I suppose they could add another primary weapon, just to freshen up the class. Maybe a sawed-off shotgun?

Besides the horse being buggy/generally poor hit detection being a frustrating problem, the things i would like to see are:

1. Removing increase armor for all non cavalry classes when on horseback. The reason is simple: cavalry class is literally the worst class to use whilst mounted, which is odd considering it's the cavalry class. I don't care that it benefits me as a pretty much mounted player if I see a free horse, it just doesn't make any sense.
    2. Increase the horses health by 10%-20%. I currently feel that it's far to easy to get instantly merc'd from a 100% health by even a small number of players, the extra few seconds would be quite useful for running away.
    3. Much better visual/audio indicators showing what the horses health is; again, it's sometimes quite difficult to know mid combat that your horses health went from 100%-6% when there is absolutely no indication in the game besides the number changing, this is really annoying
    4. Everyother class gets specializations except cavalry... why

I actually really do not want to see the horses health regen occur sooner/more quickly - this would lead to some really annoying cavalry duels.
    Post edited by Miles_Vappa on
  • crabman169
    12114 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Cavalry nerfed
    Dice dum dum

(I literally do not have the patience right now to blast out a book about cavalry at this time)
  • KriZ_Rul3Z
    278 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    At first I found them useless, but now it's slowly becoming my favorite class! I'd say it's pretty balanced with infantry, but obviously a lot worse than tanks or planes.

The most annoying thing is getting stuck, but you kind of learn to avoid the tiniest of branches. Still happens way too much though.

But if you flank, play careful, it's just so satisfying to stab people in the back and ride away.

I think boosting the horse health by 10-20% would be fair, they do get taken down fast. The rider health seems okay, people seem to go for the big mass of the horse. A single LMG is currently a bit too effective against it.