FPS drops/ stuttering "Fall creators update"

AllorNut-ting
43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
edited January 9
As title states, minimum 105 fps on DOMINATION with a gtx 1080ti, i7 7700k and 16gb of ram, what the fekk!?

version 1709 (got updated from 1607,without my knowledge and approval of course, because microsoft)
build 16299
gpu driver 388.31 (which worked pretty well)

Comments

• GGAMA92
    37 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    1702 is not the FCU. FCU is 1709 which causes fps drops. There is no solution to this yet...
  • NamelessForNow
    1089 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    As title states, minimum 105 fps on DOMINATION with a gtx 1080ti, i7 7700k and 16gb of ram, what the fekk!?

version 1702 (got updated from 1607,without my knowledge and approval of course, because microsoft)
    build 16299

You can always go into your settings/update/recovery and roll back to 1607
  • AllorNut-ting
    43 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    GGAMA92 wrote: »
    1702 is not the FCU. FCU is 1709 which causes fps drops. There is no solution to this yet...

Got those mixed up then! Will go back and brute force stopping updates!
  • AllorNut-ting

version 1702 (got updated from 1607,without my knowledge and approval of course, because microsoft)
    build 16299

You can always go into your settings/update/recovery and roll back to 1607

Yep, that's what I'll do!
  • AllorNut-ting

Noticed now that it's actually 1709 it updated to, not 1702. Will edit original post
  • GGAMA92
    The only solution that works is Anniversary update. I did a post showing cpu graph on both win10 updates
  • KnightroGamingYT
    96 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If you're on 1709, suggest a wipe/reinstall.
    Find an older MediaCreationTool that isn't going to load you directly into 1709.

When reinstalling unplug your ethernet cable. Begin the install, during the install process Windows won't obviously autoupdate as you're not connected to the internet.

Once the Windows install process has finished and you're on your desktop

Press WIN+R
    Type: gpedit.msc
    > Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Defer Windows Update

Find "Select when feature updates are received"
    - Double Left Click on it
    - Tick Enabled
    - Type 365 in the number of days to defer

Click Apply / OK

Reason for doing this is the normal way of deferring updates is bypassed by this service. If this service is not configured it will override anything you've selected in your
    Start > Settings > Update & Security settings and thus will download and install the feature update regardless.
  • Zucum
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Well i just disabled Xbox dvr via registry and i don't have stutter anymore on win 10 1709, the game still freezes half a second sometimes but is playable now.

Backup your Reg first!

Open Registry Editor (Run > regedit)
    Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
    Set the value of DWORD "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
    Create key "GameDVR".
    Create DWORD 32bit called "AllowGameDVR" and set to 0
    Restart your computer.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?s=6bba98987bbdf6b73551fa3875371b97&ref=6239-DZCB-8600&l=italian
  • AllorNut-ting
    Thank you all for the comments. I already did a clean install and blocked updates via registry and scheduler, aswell as setting my network to metered, also blocked windows 10 update assistant and so on.

So I'm now back to where it worked best: version 1607 and nvidia driver 388.31, and bonus on top of it all is the clean install.
  • Zucum
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited January 12
    Thank you all for the comments. I already did a clean install and blocked updates via registry and scheduler, aswell as setting my network to metered, also blocked windows 10 update assistant and so on.

So I'm now back to where it worked best: version 1607 and nvidia driver 388.31, and bonus on top of it all is the clean install.

It is working fine?, my fix did not last as all the others and now im stuttering again, im gonna wait for one win10 update and if MS don't fix it im back to 1607.

• uz_bolderaju
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    win 10 pro 1709 , all drivers and bios up to date

after pc restart BF1 runs smooth , no framedrops , lags etc .

perfoverlay.drawgraph 1 graph is smooth without cpu or gpu spikes

BUT ! when I close BF1 and Origin and then start again I get high cpu pikes in graph

anyone else with similar problem ?

MSI afterburner and HWinfo running in background
  • AllorNut-ting
    Zucum wrote: »

It is working fine?, my fix did not last as all the others and now im stuttering again, im gonna wait for one win10 update and if MS don't fix it im back to 1607.

Well I haven't experienced any stutters whatsoever BUT fps drops down to the 90's on domination gamemode! How is this an issue you may ask? Well, a 1080ti, i7 7700k and 16gb of ram on 1920x1080 res should IMO handle a STEADY 120fps in atleast domination! (Using a 144hz monitor, capped to 120fps to maintain cpu usage on heavy servers like conquest or operations)

Actually I made a post about this earlier, got down as low as 70fps on an operation with this very setup (however a different gpu driver) on brusilov keep.

I don't know if this is because of my hardware or bad optimization or both? I also want to add that the huge fps drops from 120 to 70 is on a 60%~ gpu usage and 70-85%~ cpu usage. You'd think it should be higher in order to maintain 120fps

• GGAMA92
    Hello,

My rig is:
    i7-8700
    GTX 1080
    16gb ram 3000mhz

I've tested Windows 10 Creators Update, Fall Creators Update, Anniversary Update and Windows 8.1. The results were:
    -W10 CU = high fps overall 120+ but with bad cpu spikes resulting fps drops and stutter
    -W10 FCU = same as CU
    -W10 Anniversary = high fps 120+ all the time, smooth, with all the updates blocked, but for me that OS started to freeze from time to time(i dont know why, maybe i did something wrong)
    -W8.1 = the best OS so far in matter of gaming, very smooth 120+ fps all the time with no drops at all(even if there are normal drops i can't say because i do not notice anything)
  • CedarOfLebanon
    424 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    fix for CU/FCU. download something call EmptyStandbyList, use it to empty standby memory. you can also add it to task scheduler to run automatically. problem is battlefield 1 is having a memory leak in the creators update/fall creators update. yet dice did not bother to fix it.
  • GGAMA92
    fix for CU/FCU. download something call EmptyStandbyList, use it to empty standby memory. you can also add it to task scheduler to run automatically. problem is battlefield 1 is having a memory leak in the creators update/fall creators update. yet dice did not bother to fix it.

That did not work for me.
  • CedarOfLebanon
    424 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member

make sure you run as administrator
  • GGAMA92

make sure you run as administrator

Yes i was running it as administrator, i also created a task in task scheduler. I am on Windows 8.1 now and i am very happy. I dont have to do anything to enjoy gaming.