Initial Impressions on Metal Gear Solid 5

Lordmang4
2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
I'm attempting to slowly work my way through my ever-growing backlog of games. I just started MGS5 and it's got to be the most boring introduction to a AAA title that I've played in a while.
-
Aside from crawling here and ducking there at very sporadic times, the introduction is basically on cruise control (for almost half an hour).
-
I'm hoping the game and fun factor picks up shortly or else it'll be a quick delete from my PS4 hard drive (right after I try out the multiplayer component).

Comments

• pinchylillobster
    963 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I think it depends wholly on whether or not you played the other games and enjoyed the overall story. MGS5 is good at story telling and filling in the gaps from the other games. In terms of gameplay though, it doesn't really offer anything new from the other titles. The boss battles I think were the biggest disappointment for me.
  • TheSaviorSix
    252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I played 75 hours, got a credit roll, only to find out that I only completed the first episode.

I stopped playing after that. I'll save the second episode for a day where I'm really bored and have nothing to play.

I can tell you why Kojima Productions wasn't on the game case. The logo appears before EVERY **** MISSION.
  • Lordmang4
    2063 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    edited August 2016
    So I just completed Eipsode 4 and I've got to say that I don't think this game is for me. After playing "The Division", I feel like MGS5 is a "clunkier" version of "The Division". MGS5's controls feel clunkier, the animations appear more clunkier, and the character dialog seems like a bad version of Google Translate. On top of all that, I feel that the gameplay is a little boring.
    -
    After having also played Resident Evil 5 recently with its really clunky controls, I'm starting to sense that Japanese-made games aren't really my cup of tea.
    -
    I think I should stay with First Person Shooter games and the like (COD, BF, Destiny, etc.).
  • TheSaviorSix
    252 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Lordmang4 wrote: »
    So I just completed Eipsode 4

what the ****

If it took me 75 hours to complete episode 1, how long are the other episodes?
  • pinchylillobster
    963 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    You can power through the game pretty quick if youre just trying to get to the end and not complete any side objectives.
  • DisguisedMike
    429 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    the gameplay is a little boring.
    I respectfully disagree. MGSV has some of the best stealth gameplay of any game I've played but I guess it's not for everyone.
    -
    With 300 hours played, MGSV is now my third most played game ever after BF3 and BF4. I played everyday since launch and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I love this game!

• Lordmang4
    You're right about the stealth gameplay. But that's why I said the game isn't for me.
    -
    I quickly tired of slinking around, worrying about that flashlight detection graphic signifying that my position had been compromised. So, I found myself charging into the enemy post on my steed with assault rifle blazing more often than not.
    -
    And that's where I found "The Division"'s combat controls and movement to be more intuitive and fluid, respectively.
    -
    MGS5 is a good game, no doubt. It's just not my cup of tea (to the point where I didn't complete all the side objectives and just rushed through each Episode's primary objective).
  • SatanicMutant
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    You're right about the stealth gameplay. But that's why I said the game isn't for me.
    -
    I quickly tired of slinking around, worrying about that flashlight detection graphic signifying that my position had been compromised. So, I found myself charging into the enemy post on my steed with assault rifle blazing more often than not.
    -
    And that's where I found "The Division"'s combat controls and movement to be more intuitive and fluid, respectively.
    -
    MGS5 is a good game, no doubt. It's just not my cup of tea (to the point where I didn't complete all the side objectives and just rushed through each Episode's primary objective).

You are born a Rambo
  • Lordmang4
    LOL. I think as I've gotten older, I have less patience (and inclination) to sneak around in video games. I also think my lack of gaming free time compels me to "get into the action" sooner rather than later.
    -
    Gone are the days when I can spend uninterrupted consecutive hours planing and executing the perfect stealth assault in a video game.
  • HonestSoul333
    1402 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Finished the initial "tutorial" level, did about 5 or 6 missions in the main world. And somehow forgot the game existed when I went to bed that night because I haven't played it since...

Which is odd, because it was a good game so far. Just didn't hook me.
  • Lordmang4
    I agree. MGS5 IS a good game. A very good game if you enjoy stealth games and sneaking around all over the place.
    -
    But like you said, there wasn't anything about MGS5 that hooked me.