Possible reason for EA's increased dumbing down of server rental admin options

Obliviate1982
212 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited January 2018
I just popped back to see how BF1 Rsp was going after a big break from battlefield and to see if they had implemented options viewed as standard over the last decade or so. Turns out its barely changed.

see article on patent here: https://www.pcgamesn.com/ea-matchmaking-microtransactions-eomm-engagement-patent

I started to notice this trend when battlefront 2015 reboot was released, I had suspicions something like this was on the cards in future so EA can further control your "end user product experience" , In other words, expect the loss of server browsers and admined servers in ALL EA games in future. Dont take this as gospel its merely a prediction

Post edited by Obliviate1982 on

Comments

• -Antares65z
    1579 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    .....I started to notice this trend when battlefront reboot was released, In other words, expect the loss of server browsers and admined servers in ALL EA games in future.

I got a taste of their browser in SWBF2. Total garage and it in itself had a lot to do with me walking away from that game. If they're going to remove the browser and RSP from the next Battlefield, I imagine they'll be a lot of people, including myself, that will move on from this series.

• Axlerod1
    1352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    EA/DICE did not want server rentals in BF1. It was only after the backlash before launch that they gave in to it.

Expect a skin job of SWBF2 for the new BF2018. Do not expect RSP or any server rentals. EA/DICE really want RSP to fail.

I will not buy the next BF title until EA/DICE goes back to 3rd party rental server providers or implement a real RSP system that works.
  • CedarOfLebanon
    598 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Axlerod1 wrote: »
    EA/DICE did not want server rentals in BF1. It was only after the backlash before launch that they gave in to it.

Expect a skin job of SWBF2 for the new BF2018. Do not expect RSP or any server rentals. EA/DICE really want RSP to fail.

I will not buy the next BF title until EA/DICE goes back to 3rd party rental server providers or implement a real RSP system that works.

So if you dont have your own server, you dont buy the game ? Thats lame
  • -Antares65z
    1579 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Have you seen the browser for SWBF2? If not and they do end up implementing that joke for the next BF, I guarantee you will debate moving on from the game.
  • CrashCA
    933 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Not in my mind, best way to get together as a clan/community.
    Lame is EA.
  • ATF_lateDENT
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I played a couple days of the Beta for Battlefront 2. Not only was it hard to play with friends, even after a friend and I got on the same server/team, we could not spawn off of each other. Then, several times, when the round ended, the next round would start and we would be playing on different servers. It's like EA not only want's clans to fail, it just wants all players to not play with friends at all.

What a strange direction to go in.
  • Sgt_Malle
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    It is the console way of playing.
    Here and there turn on your console, matchmake yourself onto some server, play for 30 mins and turn off.
    Throw away the game after 6 months to buy the next one.

Playing with community or friends is not good for business because it maybe makes you stick too long to one game without buying the newer one ;)
  • iano1978
    618 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Sgt_Malle wrote: »
    It is the console way of playing.
    Here and there turn on your console, matchmake yourself onto some server, play for 30 mins and turn off.
    Throw away the game after 6 months to buy the next one.

Yeah I mean we dont have any platoons, servers, communities, friends etc on console.

• -Antares65z
    I say appreciate what you have now. Don't use Quick Match, enjoy that you have a CHOICE of where you play and realize that the days of dedicated servers and the option to control where and who you play with is coming to an end.

• CrashCA
    933 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I certainly hope not.
    For EA. Maybe, smaller shops still embrace us.
  • Sgt_Malle
    31 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I say appreciate what you have now. Don't use Quick Match, enjoy that you have a CHOICE of where you play and realize that the days of dedicated servers and the option to control where and who you play with is coming to an end.

well then I either go to another game from a company that offers players what they want or I just stop gaming. Not gonna buy any matchmaking only games that is for sure.
  • CrashCA
    edited January 2018
    Don't stop, SWITCH.
    Only way they will learn
  • Axlerod1
    1352 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Yeah switch. Stop buying the garbage EA is putting out. It is the only way to get them to change. As long as people foolishly buy their games EA will continue to do what they can to get your money. I talked to several people before buying SWBF2 and they would not listen. Now they have a game they hate and can not play with friends hardly at all.

It is going to be the same way for the next battlefield game as SWBF2 is. Do not expect to play with your friends.

Look at all the empty promises EA continues to make that go unfulfilled. Where is our better player experience? Where are all the updates for RSP?

• CrashCA
    Ohh. They doubled the size of Ban, Admin & VIP lists. So little, so late.
  • Axlerod1
    I still have not even played the last DLC yet. I just dont find this game much fun to play any more.
  • Sgt_Malle
    yeah the "improvements" and "updates" are quite impressive...
    RIP BF1 :)
  • -Antares65z
    Yeah switch. Stop buying the garbage EA is putting out. It is the only way to get them to change. As long as people foolishly buy their games EA will continue to do what they can to get your money.

The reason why Activision continues to serve up the same recycled/reskinned garbage known as COD, is because people keep buying it. We've been saying for years to stop buying it and then Activision will fix it. The problem is, people keep buying it. It's Business 101. If it ain't broke (still meeting and exceeding revenue targets), why spend the time and money rebuilding their game? The same principles apply to Battlefield. They will continue to strip the game down, such as removing the server browser and rented servers and chances are, people will continue to purchase it. We have to remind ourselves that most people who visit these forums are connoisseurs of the game. But we represent a small fraction of the overall player base out there. Most of which are casual players, they don't play with friends and aren't part of any clan. Most use the Quick Match and don't care about rented servers and being able to choose where they play. EA knows they will lose some players. Chances are they've crunched the numbers, comparing lost revenue from people who bailed on the game, compared to cost savings by not having to develop/support the server browser and rented servers program.

• Axlerod1
    Yeah switch. Stop buying the garbage EA is putting out. It is the only way to get them to change. As long as people foolishly buy their games EA will continue to do what they can to get your money.

The reason why Activision continues to serve up the same recycled/reskinned garbage known as COD, is because people keep buying it. We've been saying for years to stop buying it and then Activision will fix it. The problem is, people keep buying it. It's Business 101. If it ain't broke (still meeting and exceeding revenue targets), why spend the time and money rebuilding their game? The same principles apply to Battlefield. They will continue to strip the game down, such as removing the server browser and rented servers and chances are, people will continue to purchase it. We have to remind ourselves that most people who visit these forums are connoisseurs of the game. But we represent a small fraction of the overall player base out there. Most of which are casual players, they don't play with friends and aren't part of any clan. Most use the Quick Match and don't care about rented servers and being able to choose where they play. EA knows they will lose some players. Chances are they've crunched the numbers, comparing lost revenue from people who bailed on the game, compared to cost savings by not having to develop/support the server browser and rented servers program.

Thus why there are 3 million PC players playing PUBG. I don't even care for the game but the results are in.
  • -Antares65z
    Normally I pre-order this game but this next BF will be the first time I take a wait and see approach. I imagine we'll know much more about the browser/rented servers in the coming months and more information gets revealed. If they don't say anything about rented/dedicated servers and keep us in the dark about it, chances are they won't be offering it.
  • CrashCA
    Most of "us" are taking the wait and see approach and not holding much hope. I, like Axelrod, have looked at PUBG and it is not my "cup of tea". However, most of my community has gone there. Still desire a admin-able WW II non-COD game. (Battalion 1944 ?)