Riverine warfare and amphibious assault

CaptainHawsehole
367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
edited May 2016
Calling on the knowledgeable. We all know about the clashes of titans like the Battle of Jutland, but I was wondering about the smaller crafts that could have been involved. Are there any known initiatives that might have used riverine warfare? Was the technology to make such smaller crafts even available, as in like some ships still used coal and were transitioning towards the use of oil. Would there have been engines proper as to accomodate that kind of warfare? What type of propulsion tech was used for landing crafts like those used at Gallipoli? And yes, I know those were more widespread in WWII and Vietnam for example.
Post edited by CaptainHawsehole on

Comments

• CaptainHawsehole
    367 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited May 2016
    Best I could find so far was the Fly-class river patrol boats the British used in the Mesopotamian campaign.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-class_gunboat

Addendum. I have also found these, which have served off the belgian coast.
    http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishShips-Dittmar3WarshipsB.htm#26

The more I dig into this, the more I think the Dardanelles operation and Gallipoli landings would be ideally suited for naval action and amphibious assault maps.
    Post edited by CaptainHawsehole on
  • DingoKillr
    4343 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Fly-class river patrol boats look like modified steamboats that would work on calm waters like wide rivers. Gallipoli landings on the first waved used long boats and rowed ashore. The follow up wave/support used much large boats with small steam engines.

I guess the first wave was meant to be quite.