Weekly Debrief

[FIX] [BF4 Not Launching] Windows 10 Anniversery Update causing BF4 not to Launch / Disappear

Comments

• jimboh1
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    dan134621 wrote: »
    GUNESErcan wrote: »
    I've never have had the problem, you guys are. Go into game options, video settings. Set fullscreen to fullscreen, instead of borderless, problem solved.

I can not enter the game settings. Because "Battlefield 4 has stopped working" it gives an error ..
    jimboh1 wrote: »
    Anyone know where/ how we can petition EA/Dice to fix this? Or MS?

The game is working fine, for most people. Do you really think EA/Dice, is going to update a three year old game? Just because you, and a few other people are having issues. You need to check for the problem on your end, that's part of owning a PC.

Thanks, Dad, and yes I expect them to do so. It's called Customer Satisfaction.
  • jimboh1
    9 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    So I connected with EA through their customer service chat feature and he recommended that I set my game using Compatability Mode; I set it back to Windows 8 and now it's working great!

What a simple solution!
  • Tha_Growler
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    So I connected with EA through their customer service chat feature and he recommended that I set my game using Compatability Mode; I set it back to Windows 8 and now it's working great!

What a simple solution!

Can you explain how you did that?
  • Scrxtchy
    15 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    IRussao wrote: »

timing is obligatory since we've had a fix since june
  • Tha_Growler
    40 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I have removed the Win10 Anniversary update and I am able to run in borderless mode now. I am afraid to reinstall the Win10 AU again.
  • jimboh1

What a simple solution!

Right clicked on the game icon on the desktop, selected the Compatability tab, and set it for Win 8. Applied it, rebooted the PC and ran it without further issue!
  • Tha_Growler

What a simple solution!

Right clicked on the game icon on the desktop, selected the Compatability tab, and set it for Win 8. Applied it, rebooted the PC and ran it without further issue!

Thank you. Can you tell me if you are running Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update installed? If so, your fix is all I need.
  • dvdried
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    You saved me! Many thanks!
  • smoke_head63
    Thanks a lot dude, it works!
  • iCHarris
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    UPDATE FROM EA SUPPORT
    What I am going to do is take both your msinfo and dxdiag along with compiling all the troubleshooting your have completed as well as the forums link showing that others have been affected and reporting this issue internally as a bug regarding Border less view play .

The report will then make its way to the DICE studio from where they will test the game on the similar if not same specs as yours being a benchmark and they will try to replicate the issue . As this issue based on the forums report is affecting a number of customers any resolution will be that of a game patch for PC users only so there will be no direct reply from the DICE studio to yourself **** as they are not customer facing.
  • undead2588
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    iCHarris wrote: »
    So after having this issue myself and speaking with EA over the phone, it seems like this is such a new issue it's hard for people to diagnose, thanks to reddit user Rukudo, he posted this fix which seems to work for me. I've pasted his response below, it seems like an issue in Borderless mode, I'm assuming EA will release an update shortly to address this issue.
    Found a solution that worked for me. Seems like the game launching in borderless mode was an issue. I went to my PROFSAVE_profile file in the Battlefield 4 settings and edited the following lines to look like:
    GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 1
    GstRender.FullscreenMode 0
    GstRender.FullscreenScreen 0

For nubs, here's a step by step guide:
    1. Go to this location C:\Documents\Battlefield 4\settings or wherever your primary documents folder is.
    2. Open "PROFSAVE_profile" with Wordpad / Notepad++
    3. Lines 28, 29 & 31 must be set to the same options as the quoted post above, this is what it should look like
    6AOoQt3.png

Done! The game should run as expected now, if you're still running into issues, check the Realtek Audio Driver as this is something that could also influence the issue.

I can say that this works! I am also not only on the anniversary update, I am on the Insiders Program Build 14905 if that helps anyone else lol... Thank you!
  • Tha_Growler
    undead2588 wrote: »
    So after having this issue myself and speaking with EA over the phone, it seems like this is such a new issue it's hard for people to diagnose, thanks to reddit user Rukudo, he posted this fix which seems to work for me. I've pasted his response below, it seems like an issue in Borderless mode, I'm assuming EA will release an update shortly to address this issue.
    Found a solution that worked for me. Seems like the game launching in borderless mode was an issue. I went to my PROFSAVE_profile file in the Battlefield 4 settings and edited the following lines to look like:
    GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 1
    GstRender.FullscreenMode 0
    GstRender.FullscreenScreen 0

For nubs, here's a step by step guide:
    1. Go to this location C:\Documents\Battlefield 4\settings or wherever your primary documents folder is.
    2. Open "PROFSAVE_profile" with Wordpad / Notepad++
    3. Lines 28, 29 & 31 must be set to the same options as the quoted post above, this is what it should look like
    6AOoQt3.png

Done! The game should run as expected now, if you're still running into issues, check the Realtek Audio Driver as this is something that could also influence the issue.

I can say that this works! I am also not only on the anniversary update, I am on the Insiders Program Build 14905 if that helps anyone else lol... Thank you!

Do you plan BF4 with bf4 video settings at borderless, fullscreen or ?
  • PlayHausx
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield Member
    I dont have an settings folder :(
  • DeLato
    Thank you! Worked for me also.
  • Ghost_MamBa
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Medal of Honor Warfighter Member
    Thanks for the fix, now I can get back to blowing $hit up.
  • BierfietsNL
    1 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    Awesome, thanks for the workaround, works great! U saved my life hehe :)
  • Libneon
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member
    I'm having this same issue and this fix worked, thank you!

Hopefully the devs or MS can fix what is ultimately causing it.
  • iCHarris
    30 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The issue is not present in the Battlefield 1 Open Beta, obviously the developers have a fix but are just not worried about BF4 currently, upsetting really.
  • dan134621
    260 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    The issue is not present in the Battlefield 1 Open Beta, obviously the developers have a fix but are just not worried about BF4 currently, upsetting really.

It's possible, they may fix your problem, if and when they update the UI. Like I said before, the game is three years old, Windows 10, was not around then. Most people are not experiencing, the issue you guys are. And your CPU is newer, and your memory is faster than mine, and I have zero issues. I run my game in full screen. Are you guys running your game in windowed, or border less, are you running, Windows 10 Home, or Pro?
  • Libneon
    2 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Member

It's possible, they may fix your problem, if and when they update the UI. Like I said before, the game is three years old, Windows 10, was not around then. Most people are not experiencing, the issue you guys are. And your CPU is newer, and your memory is faster than mine, and I have zero issues. I run my game in full screen. Are you guys running your game in windowed, or border less, are you running, Windows 10 Home, or Pro?

It seems the problem occurs when you try to run borderless, then the next launching of the game will fail and you'll have to edit the settings or delete the file for it load properly. At least that's what happened to me.