Can we do something about the "sniper" tankers?

Hawxxeye
2049 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
edited February 9
During for example the Soissons Operation, more often than not a lot of players from the attacking team seem to use their tanks to snipe at the defenders from a distance which contributes little to nothing to help capture the objectives.
One guy in particular had 50 kills and 0 deaths by the time we had taken just one sector and had lost 2 battalions and was bragging about how any of us who used the tanks to attack the bases sucked because we died there due to the huge numbers of defending assaults.
(By the time that we were down to our last battalion I lost it and used another tank to ram at the pro tank sniper which sent him and his tank sliding all the way down the cliff and into the B flag where the hordes of rabid defender assaults made short work of his majesty :wink: )
Seriously is there anything we can do against our teamates who decide to pad their k/d with the precious limited tanks/planes instead of helping the team?
Or is it supposed to be a valid playstyle?

Comments

• EmothicVH
    920 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's only a vaild playstyle in specific situations. As in if you are going to soften up the defenses before your team makes a push, or you are trying to give your team cover. However once the team has made it to the objective then the tank needs to push up with them to give them armor support on or very close to the objective. Another thing, as an experianced tanker myself, if I have no infantry support then I'm not going to push the objective. So untill I get infantry support, or I know I will have infantry support when I push the objective, I will sit back untill it is done.

Other then that, they are pretty much useless. Really nothing you can do to get them too attack. Only thing I can think of is put smoke on the objective so they can't see to shoot in there from a distance, this will also help your infantry base team be able to attack the objective. Or you can go as a support and throw smoke grenades right infront of the tank just to annoy the driver.
  • Hawxxeye
    2049 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Well every time we were making a push the tanker was staying behind and was letting us get wiped by the respawning defenders...
  • EmothicVH
    920 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Hawxxeye wrote: »
    Well every time we were making a push the tanker was staying behind and was letting us get wiped by the respawning defenders...

Then they were being useless. As I mention before there is really nothing you can do about them other then just troll and annoy them. Really just throwing down smoke infront of their vision is the only thing you can do.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited February 9
    EmothicVH wrote: »

Then they were being useless. As I mention before there is really nothing you can do about them other then just troll and annoy them. Really just throwing down smoke infront of their vision is the only thing you can do.

Well i did send him sliding to his death once and he lost his perfect k/d ;)

I will try the smoke spam next time
  • GVlXxf
    315 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    During for example the Soissons Operation, more often than not a lot of players from the attacking team seem to use their tanks to snipe at the defenders from a distance which contributes little to nothing to help capture the objectives.
    One guy in particular had 50 kills and 0 deaths by the time we had taken just one sector and had lost 2 battalions and was bragging about how any of us who used the tanks to attack the bases sucked because we died there due to the huge numbers of defending assaults.
    (By the time that we were down to our last battalion I lost it and used another tank to ram at the pro tank sniper which sent him and his tank sliding all the way down the cliff and into the B flag where the hordes of rabid defender assaults made short work of his majesty :wink: )
    Seriously is there anything we can do against our teamates who decide to pad their k/d with the precious limited tanks/planes instead of helping the team?
    Or is it supposed to be a valid playstyle?

you should know there was three type of tanks, if one u are saying is a "mortar tank" , he would do stay far from distance, i also experience this, so the best option is give him a bad comment to alert him in the game chat, then get off the tank and run into field to gaming. as there was nothing u can do on him!!!!! :D :D :D
  • boutneus
    2382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Tankers that never push out of the spawn are just trash, don’t care their KD, cause it’s even still trash for tanking
  • ThePunisher_be
    347 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    The worst: landship tankers who only want to use the mortar on the tank...

Really?! That makes me pull my hair out.
  • beetroot888
    755 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    Should have mics in vehicles. at least you could spawn in and trashtalk the guy. Then jump out and smoke em too
  • MarxistDictator
    4345 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    This is like 60% of tank players lately, it's so annoying how there isn't any gadgets to take them out.

But we need more AA guns and not anything to counter tanks for farming at a distance.
  • PhonB80
    134 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited February 9
    As the tanker, you have to do both. It's all about timing.

It is absolutely stupid to drive in there and get blown up asap without any cover or infantry support. Tanks are like Support, so at the beginning of the round, it's best to sit back and snipe. Soften the defenses, destroy enemy cover and allow your infantry to move in. But then you've got to move. Once your infantry is in good position and contending, drive your tank in there and help capture the objective. It is a HUGE advantage to have a tank close enough for players to spawn on you and only need a few steps before they are helping capture the point.

Once it is captured you have a choice; move on and repeat the same strategy to capture the other objective or defend the one you just took. If you defend the one you just took, I find it best not to sit in the objective. You don't have to be in it to defend it. More often than not an enemy assault guy has been hunting you since he last saw you on the map and will sneak up on you. Go back to your snipe position and defend it from there, giving you the ability to see everything, and the option to drive in to go after an enemy soldier if need be. This is just how I do it.

BF1 is great in that there is more strategy to the game than you might think. There is always a battle line of defenders and attackers. Look at your mini map and see where the line either needs to be repaired (if you're defending) or disrupted (if you are attacking). The tank is the best way to quickly impact the battlefield.
  • trm6
    278 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 9
    New TTK has created a new class of tankers. "Bitters" enraged about TTK now camp even harder for 25-0 tank games while their team gets smoked 1000-300. I approve. Platoons are the key now. [EA_Lanna: Removed remark]
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • boutneus
    2382 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I run solo and it doesn’t matter, bad teams will be bad. Can go 120-0 in games PTFO (can’t get those scores hillhumping) be mvp and still lose. Only thing a squad does is a force multiplier, but it won’t carry the team (smaller game modes, yes)
  • Puckerbucket
    693 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    There's just so much that's wrong here, I don't even know where to start.
    There are different tanks, and they have different strengths. You know, like say, the FT-17 Flanker variant. Why do you suppose they call it a flanker? And then there's my favorite of late: the "Standoff" version of the assault tank. Why do you think they call it that?
    The Standoff assault has no business going up against a heavy tank, or bumrushing headlong into oblivion. It is equipped with a very powerful team weapon: the spotting beacon. When I've got proper position, I can scan the horizon and 3D spot EVERY single enemy on the map. It lights up like a Christmas tree. At that point, I can get two or three kills, but I expect the infantry to at least be able to shoot at all the red lights. Everybody profits. It's a powerful, game-changing ability.
    I'm not wrecking that tank by tossing it straightaway into the range of grenades. I'm lighting up, shooting, smoking, repairing and doing all I can to soften up the objective and help the infantry move in. Once the field guns have been silenced, and the troops are able to advance, then yes, I'll move in to the objective and help finish the capture with the support of close infantry.
    As Phon said above, a good tanker has to do BOTH. The tank is a valuable team asset in the right hands, and should not just be mindlessly tossed into a grinder.
    And back to your original post.... the tanker in question had 50 kills, and is not helping the team? I daresay the team wasn't helping him. If he killed 50 on his own, without costing your attacking team a single ticket, then what the hell was everybody else doing? I guarantee you the guys on the other team that got killed by him over and over got tired of it and started focusing on him. Aside from getting in their heads, that should have allowed the rest of your team to get the job done.
    And then you completely invalidate your entire argument with the final bit: "I lost it and used another tank to ram at the pro tank sniper which sent him and his tank sliding all the way down the cliff and into the B flag where the hordes of rabid defender assaults made short work of his majesty."
    You pretty much proved him right and yourself wrong. Taking the tank directly into an enemy flag full of defenders is dumb. And you were a weenie for doing that. Just think, if you'd taken his example, the two of you would have killed 100 enemies in that time.... and unless the entire team is brain dead, that objective should then have been soft enough to advance the tanks.
  • dfwviking
    199 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    They did, they nerfed the AT mines so it takes more time to throw down an couple of mines and destroy them if you manage to sneak up on them
  • Hawxxeye
    edited February 9
    There's just so much that's wrong here, I don't even know where to start.
    There are different tanks, and they have different strengths. You know, like say, the FT-17 Flanker variant. Why do you suppose they call it a flanker? And then there's my favorite of late: the "Standoff" version of the assault tank. Why do you think they call it that?
    The Standoff assault has no business going up against a heavy tank, or bumrushing headlong into oblivion. It is equipped with a very powerful team weapon: the spotting beacon. When I've got proper position, I can scan the horizon and 3D spot EVERY single enemy on the map. It lights up like a Christmas tree. At that point, I can get two or three kills, but I expect the infantry to at least be able to shoot at all the red lights. Everybody profits. It's a powerful, game-changing ability.
    I'm not wrecking that tank by tossing it straightaway into the range of grenades. I'm lighting up, shooting, smoking, repairing and doing all I can to soften up the objective and help the infantry move in. Once the field guns have been silenced, and the troops are able to advance, then yes, I'll move in to the objective and help finish the capture with the support of close infantry.
    As Phon said above, a good tanker has to do BOTH. The tank is a valuable team asset in the right hands, and should not just be mindlessly tossed into a grinder.
    And back to your original post.... the tanker in question had 50 kills, and is not helping the team? I daresay the team wasn't helping him. If he killed 50 on his own, without costing your attacking team a single ticket, then what the hell was everybody else doing? I guarantee you the guys on the other team that got killed by him over and over got tired of it and started focusing on him. Aside from getting in their heads, that should have allowed the rest of your team to get the job done.
    And then you completely invalidate your entire argument with the final bit: "I lost it and used another tank to ram at the pro tank sniper which sent him and his tank sliding all the way down the cliff and into the B flag where the hordes of rabid defender assaults made short work of his majesty."
    You pretty much proved him right and yourself wrong. Taking the tank directly into an enemy flag full of defenders is dumb. And you were a weenie for doing that. Just think, if you'd taken his example, the two of you would have killed 100 enemies in that time.... and unless the entire team is brain dead, that objective should then have been soft enough to advance the tanks.
    I had underestimated the spotting power of the standoff tank then I will keep that in mind for the future (but in any case that guy was sure as hell not scanning the horizon to spot for the team).
    I would not had done that little prank to him if he had not started being a jerk in the chat beforehand. I am not saying that it was a good thing to do but nobody should troll his own team on chat and then expect no consequences
    Not that does not make me a weenie for doing that stunt but...
  • Puckerbucket
    693 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    well, I'll agree with the thought that nobody should troll their own team on chat. I don't approve of that.
  • Lmaousine
    144 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    If you lose when you have a tanker going +50, who is really losing? You or the tanker?
  • Kabanyash_
    251 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    bUt tHeY bOuGhT tHe GaMe AnD hAvE tHe RiGhT tO pLaY hOw ThEy wAnT
    My opinion is that new spawn system is a contributing factor to how some players can abuse vehicles, but then I don't know how you can transfer BF1 vehicles into BF3-4 style spawn. Designs of some maps and game modes doesn't help either, that's why I only play something other than Conquest if I need to get a medal. Soissons is probably the most campy map because of the hill.
    the tanker in question had 50 kills, and is not helping the team?
    Let's open the Wikipedia and look up why tanks were designed in the first place. We don't even have to read beyond first sentence:
    "The development of tanks in World War I was a response to the stalemate that had developed on the Western Front."
    Stalemate, anyone?
    I know it's a game and there's about 75% of joke in what I wrote, but still - you get the idea. Presence of the tank is sometimes more important than kills it gets, and if it's a multi-seater it acts as a mobile spawn point as well. Guy in question obviously was there for the kills only.
  • Hawxxeye
    edited February 10
    Lmaousine wrote: »
    If you lose when you have a tanker going +50, who is really losing? You or the tanker?
    Everyone on our side of the team?
    Kabanyash_ wrote: »
    the tanker in question had 50 kills, and is not helping the team?
    Let's open the Wikipedia and look up why tanks were designed in the first place. We don't even have to read beyond first sentence:
    "The development of tanks in World War I was a response to the stalemate that had developed on the Western Front."
    Stalemate, anyone?
    I know it's a game and there's about 75% of joke in what I wrote, but still - you get the idea. Presence of the tank is sometimes more important than kills it gets, and if it's a multi-seater it acts as a mobile spawn point as well. Guy in question obviously was there for the kills only.
    To add an insult to injury, the intro for the attacking french side for Soissons says a few lines about how well fortified/entrenched the defending German side is and how the new big wonder that are tanks can finally finally break through these defenses... only most of these tanks are farming kills behind the hill...
    A team of many enough decent assaults defending is already hard enough to attack without any tanks not being where they need to be