Purity of Incursions Frustrates Some Players

warslag
1366 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
edited February 2018
I'm seeing quite a few players who constantly let their emotions run over when they become frustrated. Incursions is a condensed and more technical version of BF1 in terms of the kit balancing, the game modes and the maps.

But what is emerging is a pattern of some players who don't seem to take the time to find out what they are meant to be doing, and so hit a brick wall when they rush headlong into a match without any understanding of their role within the context of their team.

I have just been in a match where I had a score of something like 36/2 after a couple of rounds and was harassed incessantly to get on the flag to the point that at least 2 of my teammates were constantly shooting at me in our spawn.

This completely ruined what should have been an epic game for me.

I really think that it is important to understand that when you choose to use a close range weapon that you have also chosen a role which most likely means you are supposed to be on the flag.

Don't blame other players when you can't handle your role.
Post edited by warslag on

Comments

• Noobi1icious
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    No this game mode is based on how much time your team can hold a flag. So because of all the damn hacking going on teams just want to rush the flag as much as possible. Thank EA/DICE for that one.won't it be nice when one day Game Devs can make a real anti cheat/hack program? That will be the day.
  • SWE-Androctonus
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Understandable that your teammates is upset when you pad your K/D from spawn rather than help the team cap flags?
  • xCRIMSONxGUARDx
    297 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »
    I'm seeing quite a few players who constantly let their emotions run over when they become frustrated. Incursions is a condensed and more technical version of BF1 in terms of the kit balancing, the game modes and the maps.

But what is emerging is a pattern of some players who don't seem to take the time to find out what they are meant to be doing, and so hit a brick wall when they rush headlong into a match without any understanding of their role within the context of their team.

I have just been in a match where I had a score of something like 36/2 after a couple of rounds and was harassed incessantly to get on the flag to the point that at least 2 of my teammates were constantly shooting at me in our spawn.

I really think that it is important to understand that when you choose to use a close range weapon that you have also chosen a role which most likely means you are supposed to be on the flag.

Don't blame other players when you can't handle your role.
    j/c what is your role in this scenario your speaking about?
  • warslag
    1366 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited March 2018
    Understandable that your teammates is upset when you pad your K/D from spawn rather than help the team cap flags?

They have no right to take their frustrations with their own performance out on me. So no it is not 'understandable'.

j/c what is your role in this scenario your speaking about?

I was playing as squad leader. No that that makes any difference to the harassment I have had from players who don't understand either my role or their own role. All they know is that they are angry at being killed and it's all the fault of the player with the high score who isn't on the flag. They don't think "wait - maybe he has a role that means he shouldn't always be on the flag" or "I don't understand why he plays like that but he has a fantastic score so he must be a good player, I will leave him alone and focus my anger on trying to improve my own performance so I can be as good as him".

I think my opening post was pretty clear really.
  • creepy35012
    166 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 2018
    This is why I say kills should only count if made from the burn or the killed player was in the burn.

Dice, you're gonna have to force team play this way. Otherwise you'll get the players who think kills are the way to go and the other guys that think holding and defending is the way to go all mashed together.

They don't work together! Hence you combine the two for competitive and force both play styles to work together.
  • warslag
    This is why I say kills should only count if made from the burn or the killed player was in the burn.

Dice, you're gonna have to force team play this way. Otherwise you'll get the players who think kills are the way to go and the other guys that think holding and defending is the way to go all mashed together.

They don't work together! Hence you combine the two for competitive and force both play styles to work together.

That is actually pretty much a correct assessment. Having said that, it does not give the right for players in the "on the point/flag capping roles" to take their frustration out on squad leaders.

This is why I didn't say which role I was playing as I wanted to see if people would realis that I must be a squad leader as I have to be out of combat for players to spawn on me. Hence why I deviously box my way around the capture points and advance or fall back as necessary whilst trying not to die so that I am available as a spawn point.

This is also what I meant by "purity". Because the roles are defined independently, but also sort of alchemically (they fit together to find the right mix) , it becomes essential to understand how to play each one. Therefore the purity of Incursions is very frustrating to some players who see things in a very uncomplicated way
    Not all people will be able to understand that, although they are being farmed while I have 40 kills for 0 deaths, I am also doing a brilliant individual job to help them to succeed. I get frustrated when players spawn on me and start firing or just don't move away. This sort of behaviour gives my position away and compromises me as a spawn point. But what I don't do is start going mental at people. Well not often anyway.
  • trip1ex
    4657 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Did you win your match where you were 36-2?
  • warslag
    trip1ex wrote: »
    Did you win your match where you were 36-2?

No. Because I was harassed by my teammates. That is what this thread is about. The harassment. Not the score.
  • Psychopski
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    edited April 2018

I’d love to see Kills and Deaths completely removed from the scoreboard in objective based game modes. Putting so much emphasis on K/D ruins team based and objective based games.

Seeing K/D in the scoreboard for Team Deathmatch makes sense but does it make sense for objective based modes of game play in what’s supposed to be “squad based game play”?

Rather seeing K/D on the scoreboard for Conquest, Operations, and other objective based match modes Shouldn't we instead see the scoreboard emphasizing number of total spawns and points per spawn beacon, total heals, total revives, total resupplies, savior kills, captures, spotting, repairs and objective defense? Shouldn’t those team and squad centric support actions be shown on the scoreboard and shouldn’t these stats be accounting for the lion’s share of experience instead of so much emphasis being placed on a player’s K/D?

Less emphasis on K/D, more emphasis on selfless actions that assist your squad and your team. This all starts with scoring and the scoreboard.

• MAGNUM_MU5TACHE
    1160 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Psychopski wrote: »

I’d love to see Kills and Deaths completely removed from the scoreboard in objective based game modes. Putting so much emphasis on K/D ruins team based and objective based games.

Seeing K/D in the scoreboard for Team Deathmatch makes sense but does it make sense for objective based modes of game play in what’s supposed to be “squad based game play”?

Rather seeing K/D on the scoreboard for Conquest, Operations, and other objective based match modes Shouldn't we instead see the scoreboard emphasizing number of total spawns and points per spawn beacon, total heals, total revives, total resupplies, savior kills, captures, spotting, repairs and objective defense? Shouldn’t those team and squad centric support actions be shown on the scoreboard and shouldn’t these stats be accounting for the lion’s share of experience instead of so much emphasis being placed on a player’s K/D?

Less emphasis on K/D, more emphasis on selfless actions that assist your squad and your team. This all starts with scoring and the scoreboard.

You need to be good at killing in order to consistently win. How are you supposed to clear objectives with out killing the enemies on it? K/D is the main indicator to show how well a player is doing.
  • The_BERG_366
    2257 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Yeah sure let's do that. that way all the wannabe leet ptfo players can keep acting like they would be the most valuable asset to their team. I look forward to the amount of hate messages of noobs that want to tell me how bad I am for not running at the objective like a headless chicken along with everyone else. when will people finally realize that u play against an opposition... this opposition wants to win as well and the only way to stop them is to shoot them. kills are a key factor in this game. getting a lot of kills is always more useful than getting a lot of flag caps. everyone can get loads of flag caps... but not everyone can get loads of kills. in order to win a lot of kills and a few caps are sufficient while a lot of caps and few kills are not... that just means youre running around in a circle.
    feature other things as well? I don't care... maybe. kills are more important than any of the things u mentioned so removing them would be an incredibly bad idea.
  • ATF_lateDENT
    304 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    warslag wrote: »

I'm glad you realize that the central focus of people on the internet is how their behavior impacts the feelings of others. The empathy and compassion in internet gaming is heartwarming. If only people interacted in real life with half of this compassion, world peace would be achieved instantly ;)
  • Psychopski
    116 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member

You need to be good at killing in order to consistently win. How are you supposed to clear objectives with out killing the enemies on it? K/D is the main indicator to show how well a player is doing.

Total bull****. So when I go 11 and 13 and I’m on the top of scoreboard with most objective captures and most revives, most spotting assists, most squad spawns.... GTFO with this K/D epeen garbage.
  • Psychopski
    edited April 2018

So when I go 11/13 and at the end of the match I’m at the top of the scoreboard with most objective captures, most revives, most heals, most spotting assists, most squad spawns. Meanwhile some sniper that’s in a locked, 1 man squad, has spent the entire match in our spawn zone nowhere near an objective, he goes 22-3 and is not even in the top 10.

That pretty much eviscerates your K/D theory.

As far as the topic at hand. It’s not the purity of 5 v 5 setting that’s frustrating me, it’s the fact that the Devs have abandoned so many basic Battlefield core mechanics that I don’t even feel like I’m playing a Battlefield game.

-manual spotting was removed
    -automated spotting rules the day via flares and proximity alarm
    -automated healing via just standin near a medic
    -no spawning in on squad mates
    -strategy removed from the equation because there are no other options available to a squad other than rushing headlong to the lone objective.
    -spawn beacons seem to vanish if the Raid Leader is killed, unlike how beacons work in BF4.
    -Superman or Incredible Hulk strength when I toss a grenade, med pouch or ammo pouch.

This isn’t Battlefield guys. This is a watered down or dumbed down version of what is so great about BF4 and BF1.
  • The_BERG_366
    2257 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

So when I go 11/13 and at the end of the match I’m at the top of the scoreboard with most objective captures, most revives, most heals, most spotting assists, most squad spawns. Meanwhile some sniper that’s in a locked, 1 man squad, has spent the entire match in our spawn zone nowhere near an objective, he goes 22-3 and is not even in the top 10.

That pretty much eviscerates your K/D theory.

As far as the topic at hand. It’s not the purity of 5 v 5 setting that’s frustrating me, it’s the fact that the Devs have abandoned so many basic Battlefield core mechanics that I don’t even feel like I’m playing a Battlefield game.

-manual spotting was removed
    -automated spotting rules the day via flares and proximity alarm
    -automated healing via just standin near a medic
    -no spawning in on squad mates
    -strategy removed from the equation because there are no other options available to a squad other than rushing headlong to the lone objective.
    -spawn beacons seem to vanish if the Raid Leader is killed, unlike how beacons work in BF4.
    -Superman or Incredible Hulk strength when I toss a grenade, med pouch or ammo pouch.

This isn’t Battlefield guys. This is a watered down or dumbed down version of what is so great about BF4 and BF1.

- yeah it takes so much skill to spam one button...
    - flares don't just spot enemies. they work different than in main game. Aldo spotting lasts ways less long than in main game (a point that u ignore completely even though it should fit your agenda)
    - that's a skill that is unlocked via points. and again: that does not replace the med pouch at all.
    - u know tactics? spawning on all squad mates is **** for comp matches (adds so much randomness)
    - that's your understanding of the incursions in a nutshell. there more tactical depth in this gamemode than in any mode in any bf ever before.
    - spawn beacons in bf4 were hated by the comp community... it's rather a good thing that they work differently. btw: they don't disappear when the raid leader dies... they disappear when he skips to the menu.

again: this requires more brain than any other bf mode. dumbed down lmao
  • Psychopski
    edited April 2018

- flares don't just spot enemies. they work different than in main game. Aldo spotting lasts ways less long than in main game (a point that u ignore completely even though it should fit your agenda)
    - that's a skill that is unlocked via points. and again: that does not replace the med pouch at all.
    - u know tactics? spawning on all squad mates is **** for comp matches (adds so much randomness)
    - that's your understanding of the incursions in a nutshell. there more tactical depth in this gamemode than in any mode in any bf ever before.
    - spawn beacons in bf4 were hated by the comp community... it's rather a good thing that they work differently. btw: they don't disappear when the raid leader dies... they disappear when he skips to the menu.

-more skill than having a flare or sensor mash the button for you. I’ll respectfully agree to disagree.
    -agenda? Conspiracy theory much? Let’s stay on topic please.
    -Is there or is there not automated healing in Incursions? Yes there is.
    -You’re confusing tactics with strategy or don’t know the definition and real world applications of either.
    -That would be “strategic depth” or strategic layer, not tactical.

FYI tactics are how a buddy team, fire team, or squad reacts to enemy contact in various combat situations, regardless of the setting. How the squad and elements within that squad shoots, moves and communicates whether they’re patrolling, moving in a vehicular convoy, or breaking contact or initiating contact with the enemy.

In a game setting Tactics are universal, as in they could be used on any map or match mode depending on the situation at any given moment. Move in pairs with each pair providing ioverwatch for the other, move as a group, have the medic hang back and the guy with the shotgun up front as pointman. Those are tactics and can be used on any map in any match mode.

Strategy would be how the squad decides to tackle the map or the objective as a whole. Blitz the objective, sit back and snipe them off the objective, flank all the way around and come up behind them.
  • Psychopski
    edited April 2018

-Manual input to mark an enemy for your team mates certainly takes more effort and skill than having a flare or sensor mash the button for you. I’ll respectfully agree to disagree.
    -You’re confusing tactics with strategy or don’t know the definition and real world applications of either.

FYI tactics are how a buddy team, fire team, or squad reacts to enemy contact in various combat situations, regardless of the setting. How the squad and elements within that squad shoots, moves and communicates whether they’re patrolling, moving in a vehicular convoy, or breaking contact or initiating contact with the enemy.

In a game setting Tactics are universal, as in they could be used on any map or match mode depending on the situation at any given moment. Move in pairs with each pair providing ioverwatch for the other, move as a group, have the medic hang back and the guy with the shotgun up front as pointman. Those are tactics and can be used on any map in any match mode.

Strategy would be how the squad decides to tackle the map or the objective as a whole. Basically, the plan. Blitz the objective, sit back and snipe and mortar them off the objective, flank all the way around and come up behind them. Tactics are how the squad and each squad mate actually sets up and executes the operational plan(strategy).
  • The_BERG_366

-Manual input to mark an enemy for your team mates certainly takes more effort and skill than having a flare or sensor mash the button for you. I’ll respectfully agree to disagree.

Strategy would be how the squad decides to tackle the map or the objective as a whole. Basically, the plan. Blitz the objective, sit back and snipe and mortar them off the objective, flank all the way around and come up behind them. Tactics are how the squad and each squad mate actually sets up and executes the operational plan(strategy).

- again: the flair isn't an auto spotting gadget like in the main game. how is thst so hard to understand? also the "auto spotting" works only if you see a enemy for long enough. therfore they can't get instant spotted if u see them only crossing From one rock to the next for example furtherly decreasing the amount of time one is spotted. finally pressing one button isn't hard at all and hence doesn't add anything to the skill gap really.
    - conspiracy theory? Wtf are u on about? :expressionless:
    - yeah but that is not a bad thing just because u don't like it. and it's not "automated healing in incursions vs manual healing in base game" like u want to make it look like.
    - about tactics vs strategy. I used the terms in context of a arcade shooter video game so it's more reasonable to use more general 'every day definitions' of the words rather than the original military ones. regardless I should have in deed used 'strategy' instead of 'tactics' the second time I used the word (obviously as I answered directly to you talking about strategy being removed). although incursions actually has more tactical depth as well...

you have your opinion on what makes bf a bf... fair enough. but u now attack incursions simply based on this opinion. for example you say the game is dumbed down because one doesn't have the press a button to spot or that there is no strategy involved due to there only being one objective at a time (which is not always true btw but ok). these are far from being valid arguments but rather look like an attempt to make something look bad which u don't like for different reasons.
  • madgopher24
    17 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ???? no the impossible to get in a game frustrate players ...purity bs...it's a comp arena sized shooter nothing new to world