Battlefield 1 stops working and closes to desktop. Need help. Pretty please!

Wandereru
355 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
So I have been getting unusual crashing of Battlefield 1 since about the Turning Tides update. I didn't experience it at first because my gaming sessions were short (i.e. 1h max) and only on Conquest but when the Operation Campain started on St Quetin Scar and Marne my gaming sessions were longer (2-4h) and that is when I started experiencing the ''BF1.exe has stopped working'' Error message. It's frustrating because this has been going on for about a month and I have contacted EA support aswell as done a whole lot to try and fix this issue with the problem still persisting. Before Turning Tides I sometimes played for 4h without any issues.

Also I have been playing CTE a lot while it was live and in 3h not a single crash while the main game can cresh in a matter of minutes at times.

This is the issue if I check it in Event Viewer

What I have done to try and solve this issue without any success:

1)Used DDU to reinstall latest drivers
2)Used DDU to install older drivers which had no issues
3)Freshly downloaded BF1 and installed it to a different partition
4)Cleared Origin cache
5)Checked for maleware
6)Ran GPU through funmark stress test = no issues
7)Ran memtest86 for 1h 10min = no issues
8)Increased pagefile from 3GB to 10GB for more virtual memory
9)Used CCleaner to get rid of junk aswell as fix registry
10)Updated windows 10
11)Downloaded DirectX installer to check if everything is up to date = all was fine
12)Used advanced options for Battlefield 1 to utilize all 4c 4t

System specs:
Asrock Pro3 Z77
i5 3570k @4.2GHz with Coolermaster 212Evo cooler
12GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM
GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 factory OC
120GB SSD for OS
2TB drive for files
630W PSU

If anyone knows a solution or stuff I might try to solve this issue I'd be very grateful. After pumping in 520h of gameplay into the game I haven't had this kind of issue before and I'm out of ideas on what to do.

Comments

• F1aw1ess
    817 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    Temps?
    Unstable Overclock?
    PSU Stating To Flake?
  • TNA_SneakyMonkey
    545 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Have you tried an older GPU driver?
  • 187justiceHUN
    11 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Wandereru wrote: »
    So I have been getting unusual crashing of Battlefield 1 since about the Turning Tides update. I didn't experience it at first because my gaming sessions were short (i.e. 1h max) and only on Conquest but when the Operation Campain started on St Quetin Scar and Marne my gaming sessions were longer (2-4h) and that is when I started experiencing the ''BF1.exe has stopped working'' Error message. It's frustrating because this has been going on for about a month and I have contacted EA support aswell as done a whole lot to try and fix this issue with the problem still persisting. Before Turning Tides I sometimes played for 4h without any issues.

Also I have been playing CTE a lot while it was live and in 3h not a single crash while the main game can cresh in a matter of minutes at times.

This is the issue if I check it in Event Viewer

What I have done to try and solve this issue without any success:

1)Used DDU to reinstall latest drivers
    2)Used DDU to install older drivers which had no issues
    3)Freshly downloaded BF1 and installed it to a different partition
    4)Cleared Origin cache
    5)Checked for maleware
    6)Ran GPU through funmark stress test = no issues
    7)Ran memtest86 for 1h 10min = no issues
    8)Increased pagefile from 3GB to 10GB for more virtual memory
    9)Used CCleaner to get rid of junk aswell as fix registry
    10)Updated windows 10
    11)Downloaded DirectX installer to check if everything is up to date = all was fine
    12)Used advanced options for Battlefield 1 to utilize all 4c 4t

System specs:
    Asrock Pro3 Z77
    i5 3570k @4.2GHz with Coolermaster 212Evo cooler
    12GB of DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 factory OC
    120GB SSD for OS
    2TB drive for files
    630W PSU

If anyone knows a solution or stuff I might try to solve this issue I'd be very grateful. After pumping in 520h of gameplay into the game I haven't had this kind of issue before and I'm out of ideas on what to do.

Hy all,

I'm problem.

disentanglement: ORIGIN KLIENS OPEN-->ORIGINS-->APPLICATIONS SETTING-->MORE-->ORIGIN IN-GAME--> ENABLE ORIGIN IN-GAME-->> OFF!!!

No problem!
  • Wandereru
    F1aw1ess wrote: »
    Temps?
    Unstable Overclock?
    PSU Stating To Flake?

4.2GHz on CPU is stable for 3years with tems around 60 degrees celsius under full load. Coolermaster 212Evo + open case does the job.

I doubt it's PSU because other games are working fine for hours, as mentioned BF1 CTE worked without hiccups for over 3h of straight gameplay.
    Have you tried an older GPU driver?

Yes, I tried latest 390.7X and 388.XX with the 388.XX being the one which was stable before the TUTI DLC.

Hy all,

I'm problem.

disentanglement: ORIGIN KLIENS OPEN-->ORIGINS-->APPLICATIONS SETTING-->MORE-->ORIGIN IN-GAME--> ENABLE ORIGIN IN-GAME-->> OFF!!!

No problem!

Origin ingame is disabled since I got the game so that can't be an issue.
  • Kompura
    239 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    1. Are you following temps (both CPU and GPU) while playing operations? I'm noticing slight increase of temp over time when playing operations longer compared to shorter conquest games.
    2. Have you tried to switch the places of memory sticks if there is any change of behavior?
  • Wandereru
    Kompura wrote: »
    1. Are you following temps (both CPU and GPU) while playing operations? I'm noticing slight increase of temp over time when playing operations longer compared to shorter conquest games.
    2. Have you tried to switch the places of memory sticks if there is any change of behavior?

I did stress tests on my components and GPU on funmark's stress test was at about 68-70 degrees celsius with fans not spinning at 100%

CPU pretty much stays at 63-66 degrees which is more than fine.

• TheNoobPolice
    1574 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    This is an access violation. It's caused when BF1 (or any program) tries to use a memory address(s) that the Windows OS deeps not suitable for application, if the program does not have mitigating code that enables it to use another address, the program simply crashes with that error.

This is caused by many things, such as incompetent programming, faulty hardware (especially CPU, mobo, or memory) but in BF1's case it is usually just the following one thing (or rather the combination of both)

CPU clock and RAM timings.

I've encountered this on multiple systems, reverting to intel stock CPU speeds on both CPU and memory (so NOT the XMP default rating ram speed) fixes the issue.

BF1 uses a lot of avx instructions, unusual for a game. These hit CPU's and memory hard. It even exposes overclock instability that are otherwise stable in 8 hours of real bench, for example.

I had a lot of problems on my own rig with this, I was trusting that overnight on Prime and 8 hours of Real Bench, my overclock was stable, but BF1 is a stress test and a half for overclocks.

I adjusted some memory sub-timings, played around with CPU system agent and VCCIO voltages, and managed to recover my overclock to make 5.1ghz and 4266mhz mem stable in BF1, but it was A LOT of work.

For most people, who don't either have the time, inclination, experience or knowledge, it's a case of reducing the overclock until the problem goes away.

It is not an issue with the GPU side, either hardware or driver related. Crashes related to that produce different error messages, such as the dreaded "Direct X device removed" etc.
  • D5RAT
    2002 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    Open a new user account on windows and try run it from there ..it's an error with the game , must be ,furmark would crash GPU and CTE would also crash. I think it's the same error that causes red screens or DX errors . The game is bugged since day one . People will blame you ,your pc ,your drivers anything other than the game because it's fine on their setup but there are 100' s of 1000's problems similar posted
  • Wandereru
    @TheNoobPolice

I'll try at CPU overclocked on 4.0GHz instead 4.2GHz, I just find it odd that it started happening after TUTI DLC and not sooner. I have this game since November and have not experienced such an issue till the latest updates.

@TheNoobPolice and @D5RAT

Actually I had 2x Direct X errors, then 1x Graphics card Physically error and after that I'm getting only the one in my opening post which is a simple ''BF1.exe has stopped working'' with every event log presenting the same fault modules.

As said I find it funny that all other games work fine, even BF1 CTE server worked fine for 3h+.

I'm at a loss. Somewhat hoping the Apocalypse DLC might fix it by pure chance.
  • RichAC
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    bf1 is a beast. have you reseat the vid card. I was getting random bsod's on bootup, until i simply reseated the vid card. Also i guess you already disabled speedstep, c-states in bios, set windows to high performance mode since you are overclocking. maybe try stock speeds?
  • Wandereru
    RichAC wrote: »
    bf1 is a beast. have you reseat the vid card. I was getting random bsod's on bootup, until i simply reseated the vid card. Also i guess you already disabled speedstep, c-states in bios, set windows to high performance mode since you are overclocking. maybe try stock speeds?

Going to try CPU on 4.0GHz instead of the usual 4.2GHz I had the past 3 years. I also reseated the video card about a week ago when someone suggested doing that and it wasn't a solution.
  • RichAC
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    RichAC wrote: »

Going to try CPU on 4.0GHz instead of the usual 4.2GHz I had the past 3 years. I also reseated the video card about a week ago when someone suggested doing that and it wasn't a solution.

and disable speed step and c-states in bios and run windows in high performance mode?

also disable fast boot in bios and windows.

did you also reseat ram?

you have at least 16gb ram? instead of increasing pagefile try manually setting the min and maximum at 1024.

run latencymon see if any problem drivers?
  • Wandereru
    So I uninstalled Nvidia Experience app and reduced the OC to 4.0GHz and so far did not have any crashes like before.

Instead I have this in event viewer:
    uQuvf8g.png

What happend was the game simply froze and did not give an error message like it used to. Now it's impossible to get out of this freeze to desktop, I actually need to force a restart of my PC. It's getting worse and worse with every update Dice puts for BF1 :T

@RichAC

Just disabled speed step after I reduced OC from 4.2 to 4.0
  • SystemicProgress
    78 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Bring your CPU to default/stock settings (no overclock) and see what happens. I experienced many freezes to desktop / BSODs with this game, and the primary reason was an unstable overclock.
  • Sechnaill
    992 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    There is absolutely no reason to use an uninstall program for video card drivers. I haven't used one for over fifthteen years.
    I just make a 'restore point' and install over what is already installed. No problem for me at all with this procedure.
    If the driver sucks all you have to do is go back to the 'restore point' that you made.
    In fact I have installed older drivers over newer drivers without incident.
  • RichAC
    So I uninstalled Nvidia Experience app and reduced the OC to 4.0GHz and so far did not have any crashes like before.

Instead I have this in event viewer:
    uQuvf8g.png

What happend was the game simply froze and did not give an error message like it used to. Now it's impossible to get out of this freeze to desktop, I actually need to force a restart of my PC. It's getting worse and worse with every update Dice puts for BF1 :T

@RichAC

Just disabled speed step after I reduced OC from 4.2 to 4.0

disabling c-states is more important to disable. make you disable that too. and run windows in high performance mode.

What about your ram are you overclocking that too? is it stable?

Do as above poster said run everything at stock and see if you still crash.
  • RichAC
    Sechnaill wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason to use an uninstall program for video card drivers. I haven't used one for over fifthteen years.
    I just make a 'restore point' and install over what is already installed. No problem for me at all with this procedure.
    If the driver sucks all you have to do is go back to the 'restore point' that you made.
    In fact I have installed older drivers over newer drivers without incident.

NVIDA themselves will recommend using DDU. Its a well respected program by guru3d. System restore doesn't always work in windows. Also some people just don't have alot of restore points. Its also overkill when just wanting to reinstall videocard drivers, not anything else on the system.
  • Wandereru
    For a while it looked like the issue was fixed either by the Apocalipse update OR the Gigabyte OC Guru I installed to monitor my GPU while I play the game. Well today I got hit by the ''BF1 has stopped working'' error with the same bloody entry in Event Viewer.

I have literally came to the point where I will simply do a fresh Windows install with fresh applications, drivers, Origin and installed game. If after this it doesn't work then **** my life because this is the only game I have and enjoy playing daily.
  • Strycr
    158 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Feel your pain, recently I've been getting BF1 crashes after a random period of time. Never had one before in the last 12+ months, correlated it too a recent OC on my CPU. Going from 4.0 - 4.5 on my I7-4770k.
    BF1 has the nack of finding vunerabilities that stress tests don't as was fine after a 12+ hour stress test.

Regarding your Error ID, have you tried the below?

Windows 10 error ID 10016 is a notorious error that has been around since at least Windows 8. It is flagged when an application tries to start the DCOM server when it doesn’t have the permission to do so. While not a showstopper, the error can clog up Event Viewer with hundreds of instances. So if you want to fix Windows 10 error ID 10016 and clean up your Event Viewer, here’s how.
    //
    You usually only see error 10016 on a computer upgraded to Windows 10 and not on clean installs. It seems to be an inherited setting that the installer doesn’t overwrite.
    //
    1. Type or paste ‘regedit’ into the Search Windows box.
    2. Navigate to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole’.
    3. Delete these four keys if they appear, DefaultAccessPermission, DefaultLaunchPermission, MachineAccessRestriction, MachineLaunchRestriction.
    4. Reboot your computer.
    //
    Deleting those four keys will cause DCOM to write default permissions for the system and should grant access to the apps requiring access to the DCOM Server.
  • RichAC
    Feel your pain, recently I've been getting BF1 crashes after a random period of time. Never had one before in the last 12+ months, correlated it too a recent OC on my CPU. Going from 4.0 - 4.5 on my I7-4770k.
    BF1 has the nack of finding vunerabilities that stress tests don't as was fine after a 12+ hour stress test.

Regarding your Error ID, have you tried the below?

Windows 10 error ID 10016 is a notorious error that has been around since at least Windows 8. It is flagged when an application tries to start the DCOM server when it doesn’t have the permission to do so. While not a showstopper, the error can clog up Event Viewer with hundreds of instances. So if you want to fix Windows 10 error ID 10016 and clean up your Event Viewer, here’s how.
    //
    You usually only see error 10016 on a computer upgraded to Windows 10 and not on clean installs. It seems to be an inherited setting that the installer doesn’t overwrite.
    //
    1. Type or paste ‘regedit’ into the Search Windows box.
    2. Navigate to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole’.
    3. Delete these four keys if they appear, DefaultAccessPermission, DefaultLaunchPermission, MachineAccessRestriction, MachineLaunchRestriction.
    4. Reboot your computer.
    //
    Deleting those four keys will cause DCOM to write default permissions for the system and should grant access to the apps requiring access to the DCOM Server.

Mine is a clean install.

MS says its fine to ignore so thats what I do. I don't like to mess around in the registry. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4022522/dcom-event-id-10016-is-logged-in-windows-10-and-windows-server-2016