With a "new bf coming"

S5_Jdge320
93 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
I decided Id stop by and see how this server rental thing went. Looks bad still.
Is it at all better? Admin correctly? Auto filter words? Rcon?
Pros? Cons?

From what I can tell, My group dropping bf for a handful of other games paid off.

ALthough, I grew up with the bf series, I hope its fixed and they learn their lessons and get the "new" bf back to what bf was.
A great game to have a community play together.

Comments

• Axlerod1
    1249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    nothing has changed in the last 9 months if that is what you want to know.
  • HonorguyXNL
    517 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    S5_Jdge320 wrote: »
    Pros? Cons?

Slow progress, bit too slow.

Admin works, but still very limited.

Auto filter chat? Nope, doesn't and probably won't exist.

Rcon/Procon? Lol never going to happen, they said that from the start :)

Current status

Admins can: Kick/Move/Ban (4 standard ban options)
    Owner: Restart server, change settings server to a certain degree.
    VIP: Up to 50 (no longer 20 since a week or 2) Aggressive join? -> Saw 1 person stating aggressive join exists on console, but didn't hear or see anybody mentioning it.
    Moderators/Admins: Up to 50 as well I believe

Ban list cap: 200 (from 100)

And that is about it, all other stuff we can do on server settings are nice but of course we lack the freedom we had and we never will have again.

Don't count on RSP for BF2018 I'd say. Don't count on custom servers at all..
  • S5_Jdge320
    thats too bad, We used to have special events, Used that badger guys zombie mode on halloween for random fun in one of our smaller BF4 servers. Man what a shame.
    Is it worse than the"Official" and "ranked" thing from bf4? Hows the browser working out with servers? I remember noobs played official cheatfest servers, and would basically get turned off to the game cuz they didnt know anybetter. Same problems? Cheat detection? lol We had glbal cheat bans that were absoulutely wonderful.

I wish they'd unscrew themselves with the crowd backlash. I mean pc is still atleast %25 of the market. lol and we are lieterally asking them to let us take over some of the burden. I mean, really.
  • -Antares65z
    1281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 27
    thats too bad, We used to have special events, Used that badger guys zombie mode on halloween for random fun in one of our smaller BF4 servers. Man what a shame.
    Is it worse than the"Official" and "ranked" thing from bf4? Hows the browser working out with servers? I remember noobs played official cheatfest servers, and would basically get turned off to the game cuz they didnt know anybetter. Same problems? Cheat detection? lol We had glbal cheat bans that were absoulutely wonderful.

I wish they'd unscrew themselves with the crowd backlash. I mean pc is still atleast %25 of the market. lol and we are lieterally asking them to let us take over some of the burden. I mean, really.

IMO, one of the biggest issues with the RSP is not having Custom servers show up in the server browser with regular settings. For a few months there was a supposed "bug" as EA claims, that made the Custom servers start showing up in the regular browser. This really opened the door for customization of a server, such as hardcore settings, but also being able to drop the required player start count down to 6, instead of 20. The game traffic responded and more players came out of the woodwork and started playing BF1 again. Then about a month ago, they must have fixed their so-called "bug" and the Custom servers suddenly disappeared again. About the only way you can find them is either from your favorites, recently played or by searching in the server name filter. On the Reddit CTE forum site, Dice has failed to respond/ignored multiple questions in the past few weeks about the Custom servers and the browser . Which tells me they're probably not going to fix it, which IMO will kill this game off faster than usual. I think that is their goal so that more people will buy BF 2018. Unlike the transition from BF4 to BF1, where there was a lot of people who didn't buy BF1. BF4 worked fine in their eyes.
    Post edited by -Antares65z on
  • CrashCA
    706 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Wait until even less are playing BF2018.
  • S5_Jdge320

IMO, one of the biggest issues with the RSP is not having Custom servers show up in the server browser with regular settings. For a few months there was a supposed "bug" as EA claims, that made the Custom servers start showing up in the regular browser. This really opened the door for customization of a server, such as hardcore settings, but also being able to drop the required player start count down to 6, instead of 20. The game traffic responded and more players came out of the woodwork and started playing BF1 again. Then about a month ago, they must have fixed their so-called "bug" and the Custom servers suddenly disappeared again. About the only way you can find them is either from your favorites, recently played or by searching in the server name filter. On the Reddit CTE forum site, Dice has failed to respond/ignored multiple questions in the past few weeks about the Custom servers and the browser . Which tells me they're probably not going to fix it, which IMO will kill this game off faster than usual. I think that is their goal so that more people will buy BF 2018. Unlike the transition from BF4 to BF1, where there was a lot of people who didn't buy BF1. BF4 worked fine in their eyes.

Imma go ahead and say, Like alot in my group, and TBG clan as a great example, stayed wqith bf4 cuz the servers werent handled with a certain level of, shall we say competence, Like they were with past releases and they could smell the sick on it
  • ShevermiN
    321 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Pros? Cons?

Well if 3 million players have no problems playing PUBG with auto servers what chance do you think we have of getting custom servers ????

What if DICE drop a WW2 battlefield game with a para trooper battle royal mode ??? Drop in with a single rifle against 100 people last man standing. So easy to work it and would fit it into the meta and would be auto server. Your a shot down pilot over a jungle island in the pacific. You could do a 64 v 34 D day landing where once your shot your back on the boat in another server waiting to land again or dug in on the German side.

The reality is that DICE are trying to make a game that has more people playing it then before. And the old private rental server model just doesn't cut it, put your rose coloured rear view glasses away. Private servers in the past only helped the owners of those private servers and did nothing to grow the game and actually chased new players away from multiplayer who purchased the game in the years after launch.

• HonorguyXNL
    517 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    ShevermiN wrote: »

Well if 3 million players have no problems playing PUBG with auto servers what chance do you think we have of getting custom servers ????

What if DICE drop a WW2 battlefield game with a para trooper battle royal mode ??? Drop in with a single rifle against 100 people last man standing. So easy to work it and would fit it into the meta and would be auto server. Your a shot down pilot over a jungle island in the pacific. You could do a 64 v 34 D day landing where once your shot your back on the boat in another server waiting to land again or dug in on the German side.

The reality is that DICE are trying to make a game that has more people playing it then before. And the old private rental server model just doesn't cut it, put your rose coloured rear view glasses away. Private servers in the past only helped the owners of those private servers and did nothing to grow the game and actually chased new players away from multiplayer who purchased the game in the years after launch.

Well, aside that you are now comparing the incredibly different games, like you're comparing phones to fruits. It does not make any sense at all, not even remotely.

"Private" servers are the sole foundation of at least Battlefield and even Medal of Honor in the past. Heck even call of duty relied on it for ages. However, CoD decided to go with Auto-matchmaking as their game modes are more suited for 6v6 now. Given it is more personal skill based than teamwork, this works out fairly fine.

That BR games work with auto-matching without a server list is a no-brainer for me, however, ironically, even PUBG has custom servers. (though you need to be PUBG partner for that)

Everything you just stated only told me, I guess you were not there when BF1942, the very first BF, was a thing and when we were just developing the online world of gaming. As most people still had to pay for reach second they were online and ADSL, the first monthly based internetservice, was just coming up.

The fact remains, take a look at Star Wars Battlefront, BF will die without custom servers. The outcry remains too big, it's the so called badmin issue that caused all of this (allegedly)

I'm not being biased or looking through rose-glasses. I look at how the world has been working, how it is working and what it could potentially be. With all that combined you reach the conclusion that some games could, and should, rely on auto-matchmaking. However, Battlefield is not one of those games.

I mean, what's the point of going to 'your favorite server' on PUBG? Right.. none, unless some sore of custom game mode is ran there. Which, ironically, happens a fair amount, making people return to those custom servers. Meaning, there is a community there. What a surprise!

Running communities is easier with servers, that's a fact, without communities still will exist. But in the case of BF, DICE servers are deemed boring and repetitive, while custom servers always have certain 'regulars' with certain rulesets and active admins. As a result, people keep coming back.

If we look at the amount of times our servers have been marked as favourites, we know one thing, custom servers are not dead, not in the slightest. That is, untill DICE/EA kills it. Which will be the next BF probably.
  • Axlerod1
    1249 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    ShevermiN wrote: »
    Pros? Cons?

RSP did not halp BF1
    No server rentals did not help SWBF1 and 2.

Who is looking through rose colored glasses now?
  • NL73schietdammer
    501 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited March 4
    I won't be playing bf1944 if I can't play a map on a 24/7 server, I dislike most maps. With dlc4 now out and us having all maps I can say I only like 1 map : st quentin scar but that is enough for me. With bf4 it was locker and guilin peaks, played that game 1.800 hours and 90+% of my time was on these 2 maps. I have 10 servers in my favorites - including my own 3 servers - and all are 247 servers and yesterday all full, that is 640 players out of the 31.000 pc - last 24hour - peak that is only 5% so it is a small part. But I need it or I can't play, in the first (few) month(s) I disliked quentin and loved Argonne but was very disappointed that in first few month(s) the promised rsp wasn't there yet. I made this topic 6days after the game came out https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/47895/we-need-some-servers-with-only-1-map-or-a-couple-of-maps-that-are-plaved-the-most-on-1server
    Post edited by NL73schietdammer on
  • S5_Jdge320
    edited March 4
    yea, WE ahd 24/7 Naval strike maps, Carrier Assault and Conquest. Loved it.

And at the rules for admins guy... our rules were no no racial, **** or ethnic slurs... cuz we dont like 12 yearolds ruining our afternoons.

Servers create something. A place, where people can come, expect a certain type of gameplay and attitude. When you get off work you want that. the servers we have now are hateful and vile places and its depressing
  • Jaskaman
    594 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 5
    RSP has been progressing slowly since beginning. We are still missing a lot of things to customize your own server.
    About aggressive join for VIP, after they finally fixed VIP list and our members are joining server, apparently it's kicking for some members but not all.
    I'm happy we have now 50 ppl VIP list and 50 ppl admin list. It's not enough for some bigger clans but it satisfy our needs.
    There are a lot of things in the wishlist, but at least we have something but far for that what we had for previous titles (PC) procon.
    Positive is that things like round restart/next round/move players -that are very needed functions, they are included in the current RSP (would be nice to do those from chat as we could with procon.)
    Anyway, I do not think we get too much for BF1 anymore, I hope there will be good RSP for next BF title.
    Generally with current state of RSP considering the price too, if your clan/community needs an server, you can rent it for a shorter time to test it out first.
    I have my basic admin command wishlist in the Reddit, so I will not repeat it here :)
  • -Antares65z
    1281 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Jaskaman wrote: »
    About aggressive join for VIP, after they finally fixed VIP list and our members are joining server, apparently it's kicking for some members but not all.

If your name is on the VIP list and you join when there are already players waiting in que, it will kick somebody off the server so that the VIP name can join? It doesn't just put the VIP next in line for when somebody voluntarily drops off?

• S5_Jdge320
    [quote="Jaskaman;c-1142869"
    I have my basic admin command wishlist in the Reddit, so I will not repeat it here :) [/quote]

The fact you should even have to have a basic admin cmd request is the very problem.. its basic, its implied or, it should be.

• Axlerod1
    Here read this article.
    https://segmentnext.com/2018/03/05/metacritics-publisher-rankings-push-ea-off-charts-completely/

Pretty much mediocre companies are making better games than EA/DICE which are suppose to be AAA. Performance now is of mid AA.
  • CrashCA
    706 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Saw that coming, still number 1 worst gaming company though, I bet
  • HonorguyXNL
    edited March 6
    Axlerod1 wrote: »

RSP did not halp BF1
    No server rentals did not help SWBF1 and 2.

Who is looking through rose colored glasses now?

Mate you've been pessimistic since day 1 as far as I recall xD

No but being optimistic would mean I would be looking through rose colored glasses.

Being realistic however is just having your eyes open and actually think stuff through. Regarding RSP did not help BF1, no of course it didn't, as it still lacks 90% of the stuff we need. Basic tools are still missing. So of course it won't help BF1. But at the same time, having that little bit of admin support does make players return to our servers and does make people say "i come here because at least here cheaters get banned" etc.

Just be logical. Would you play on a administrated server by a clan/community or a non-administrated official server from DICE/EA? I'd take badmins over no admins at all to be honest. Simple reason being, when a cheater enters an official server it's just a waiting game. Either leave the server, or wait till it's over, which is probably days later as FairFight needs to find the person in question first. We all know Origin reporting doesn't work and EA's customer service... Well they're not the brightest bunch of people sometimes. (I mean I once got my RSP server reset while I was complaining about some BF4 issues, how did that even work?)

In regards of RSP, progress has been made. But the progess has been too little. Either we get a fully operational, infested with plugins/tools RSP in the next BF. Or no RSP at all, my bet is on the latter. No RSP at all, BF2018 will be rip by new years eve if so. (despite that I would love to have a WW2 BF again)
  • Axlerod1
    I agree with most of what you have said. I have helped put 3 different list of things we want in RSP. I would not say i am pessimistic. I would say EA?DICE is just not going to do it.

I actually started asking questions about the RSP system months before it was announced. I also knew this was a half hearted attempt to make PC players happy with empty promises to get the PC players to buy the game.

Yes I want admined controlled servers the we the community runs. If the next BF title does not have it, my whole community will not buy it. If what I have been told is true, servers for Bf2018 will run just like SWBF2. No playing with friends. That is what matters to me, playing the game with my friends. Playing the game modes that we like. RSP has ruined the enjoyment of that.

We really could care less what era it is as long as it is fun. BF1 was not fun.
  • S5_Jdge320
    edited March 6
    That's what happened with us.

Our community switched to other games. Pubg, r6s, escape from tarkov and we played sea of thieves beta, had 5 boats full all weekend.

But out of the 155 members in discord, only 4 to 5 still pay bf1. It's sad. Especially when you consider we were a bf exclusive group when we started in bf4. We ran the only naval strike Carrier assault server in NA. and it was full everyday.
    Post edited by S5_Jdge320 on
  • CrashCA
    Ditto for mine.