Destroying planes with LMGs

Halcyon_Creed_N7
1546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
By far the stupidest assignment out of any Battlefield game. Most LMGs don't have enough rounds unless you're 100% accurate, which is impossible without cheating, and they have that freaking cooldown mechanic even though they have reverse spread so you're SUPPOSED to fire them for extended periods, so you pretty much give a decent pilot enough time to escape anyway.

I've been trying for days and have only managed one, which was a fluke because a pilot bailed and the plane landed in front of me. If we didn't have that cooldown mechanic, or we had some kind of armor piercing bullet gadget, like the K bullet, but maybe less strong and like 30 rounds. As it is my accuracy is just plummeting and I have NOTHING to show for it. GG DICE.

Comments

• NANACHl
    169 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    I kill few planes with lmg every game. It is super easy and you gotta destroy just 2.
    Yes pilot escaping=kill does not count is many times annoying issue but kill-steals are much worse.
    TFW you do 97dmg to enemy plane and someone ks XD

Just go prone,hit 100% bullets and hope for the best. Or do 2-3shots with AA stationary and then finish with lmg
  • disposalist
    9011 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited February 2018
    This one again?... It's not easy, but it's sure not hard: -
  • abc1434286920
    448 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018

I would say it's not easy but it surely requires a lot of luck and possibly loads of wasted hours.
    Can't view your video but it's madness if you managed to do this with the Madsen considering its low ammo count, job well done.
  • Halcyon_Creed_N7
    1546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member

Man, those are some garbage pilots. Must be nice playing with blind 3 year olds that don't take out AA and conveniently fly near it every pass.
  • Ferdinand_J_Foch
    3419 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

It really does depend on the pilot, your own position and your LMG of choice.

Halcyon, if you have a high-capacity LMG and the pilot is stupid enough to not target you at all, this challenge shouldn't take that long - I killed a pilot on Cape Helles with my MG1917, but he didn't shoot me once for some unknown reason.

If you have a low capacity LMG, then you need to rely on luck or a nearby SAA. I, for example, once killed a Heavy Bomber with full health by emptying several Chauchat magazines into it, mainly because the bomber is such a slow and massive target, and the pilot circled around our flag for too long.

I completed this challenge by killing one heavy bomber with a Perino, and getting two hit points of damage on a different plane using a Parabellum ... so, more-or-less luck.

Certain maps are better for this than others. Monte Grappa, Rupture, Caporetto, Galicia and Cape Helles have worked well in my experience. Of course, if you're up against a good pilot, you won't stand a chance, especially if they are in an attack plane or fighter plane - bombers of all sorts are much, much easier to take down.

You could also try setting up a squad of LMG users to make this task easier.

If you're worried about the cooldown on LMGs, use the Perino or MG1917, as they overheat after a whopping 65 or so rounds.
  • disposalist
    9011 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    I would say it's not easy but it surely requires a lot of luck and possibly loads of wasted hours.
    Can't view your video but it's madness if you managed to do this with the Madsen considering its low ammo count, job well done.
    It's not really luck. Go to Monte Grappa. Get near an AA. Get on it when there's a likely plane. Damage the plane well. Finish with the Madsen (or any LMG - it used to be Madsen Trench only in CTE as designed, so that's how I tried it).
    The vid will show you, it took me about 20 minutes. I'm no pro, either.
    Good luck!
  • abc1434286920
    edited February 2018
    It's not really luck. Go to Monte Grappa. Get near an AA. Get on it when there's a likely plane. Damage the plane well. Finish with the Madsen (or any LMG - it used to be Madsen Trench only in CTE as designed, so that's how I tried it).
    Good luck!

Oh I did it ages ago in Monte grappa also, but I vividly remember the many deaths and almost giving up until I got two planes in one conquest game. But it does require luck can't deny this, luck on getting an inexperienced pilot or a plane that is already slightly damaged or dying to a wandering infantry just before getting the plane kill etc etc.
  • dcs500
    1511 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

That pretty much sums up most assignments and medals, do the grind and get the reward or don't bother, it's not compulsory.

• disposalist
    Good luck!
    Oh I did it ages ago in Monte grappa also, but I vividly remember the many deaths and almost giving up until I got two planes in one conquest game. But it does require luck can't deny this, luck on getting an inexperienced pilot or a plane that is already slightly damaged etc etc.
    It's only luck in that everything is luck then, surely? In every encounter, you make a plan and execute it hoping for it to work. Bad opponents is always useful, yeah, but a good plan should work against 'the average' player.

When people said started moaning about this mission, I thought: It can't be that bad; made a plan, went to Monte Grappa and had it done in 20 minutes. People said "that was just lucky" so I did it again. And again. There is very little 'luck' in BF1, unless that's how you want to play it.

For the "Kill an elite with an elite" task in one of the new assignments, I chose a map with 3 elite kits, went to one at the beginning of the game, when I know it spawns, checked the scoreboard to see if the others were active, picked the one that wasn't, went to its spawn and camped nearby and within 30 seconds someone turned up, grabbed it and I killed them.

If I'd left that to happening randomly, sure, it would have taken a lot of luck to get done.

As it turned out, in that same game I flamed a camping sentry without realising it. Could have done it twice, the second time completely luck hehe.

I hope you don't take this post as having a poke at you or anyone, but it does amaze me how some people complain about needing to step outside their comfort zones whatsoever. That's all it takes to do these things and it can actually be fun if you let it.
  • ElliotLH
    9849 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    It might get boring but picking a good location and only targeting smoking planes might be easier for you.
  • abc1434286920
    edited February 2018
    NVM, forum ate my post can't be bothered to type it again.
  • abc1434286920
    edited February 2018
    And a double lost, gosh the embarrassment, apologies....
  • BizarkerDRule
    151 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    I destroyed 2 last night playing Operations on Fao Fortress and i was not even trying to get them as i already have the Gun
    Just saw 2 low flying planes went prone and BANG happened again a couple of minutes later
    It is easy you just gotta be in the right place at the right time
  • KingRofty
    567 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    Really easy assignment.

Soften the target up with an AA gun until you see smoke coming out of the plane, put your LMG on the bipod and finish the plane off.

I got it really quickly, don't know what the fuss is about, although I was not really much of a team player during the assignment.
  • mad3hojo
    98 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Ballroom Blitz

I completed mine just by waiting until the enemy planes were engaging my Rigid Airship and got the final hits in on two planes. Basically you just have to put yourself in a good position and get lucky enough to get in that final shot. Specifically back by the bunker near objective A as it's relatively free of enemies and has a good line of sight to the rest of the map
  • Ram1c
    4167 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    E Z P Z.
  • TEKNOCODE
    11616 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    Hold this over your left eye. Now, read the letters from left to right...
    Ram1c wrote: »
    E Z P Z.

Also, Ballroom and mg15.
  • Hawxxeye
    8041 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited February 2018
    I did it on cape helles with the MG 15
    Also if someone decides to use the Suicide Bomber plane in any map where it is available you have a free plane kill
    Post edited by Hawxxeye on
  • disposalist
    Oh and since TTK2, it's doubly easy. LMGs do even more damage to planes, I believe. My vid was way pre TTK2.
  • Sixclicks
    5075 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I've shot down planes with LMGs with no problem. They're even easier to use for that purpose post TTK2. For the assignment, I did it on Cape Helles with the M1917.