SSD vs HDD

AgentNewb
164 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
Hi,

Does it matter in terms of FPS if you have the game installed on a HDD or a SSD ? I know the loading times are way faster on a SSD but what i need to know if it has an influence on performance.

Comments

• generalclean
    13 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Simple answer, no not really.
  • bass-junkie-xl
    512 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    ssd has lot less stutters on games when loading parts of the maps when u move threw them and some games like arma 3 and dayz love ssd as it loads textures from your drive as u move in and out of ereas aka texture streaming ssd aloshelps with better over all frame times . some older games dont need a ssd but a ssd is pretty much mandatory these days
  • Sechnaill
    992 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    SSD has faster load time than HDD
  • enek0id
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    With 16 GB of RAM it should not make any difference, besides map loading time of course.
    If you have 8 GB you can notice stutters due to the use of virtual memory.
  • VESPA5
    784 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    GGAMA92 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does it matter in terms of FPS if you have the game installed on a HDD or a SSD ? I know the loading times are way faster on a SSD but what i need to know if it has an influence on performance.

Where the game is loaded (HDD or SSD) affects primarily just the loading times. If it's framerate that you're concerned about, then it should be your GPU and CPU (since BF games tend to rely on the CPU a lot)
  • Kajjal
    822 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    As above any stuttering related to disk access will be much improved with an ssd. It is not a substitute for cpu, Gpu and ram.
  • SystemicProgress
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Hi,

Switching from HDD to SSD in my case made a huge difference regarding BF1. I see 10-15 FPS frames more and everything seem smoother now. I would also recommend to have Windows 10 installed.
  • trip1ex
    4216 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited March 2018
    ssd doesn't affect fps at all. just loading times.

and once you're loaded into to your first round, the ssd won't matter as far as loading the next map because there is 1-2 minutes in between rounds by default and an HD is fast enough to load the next map in that time.
    Post edited by trip1ex on
  • AllorNut-ting
    73 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Once you go SSD you can't go back! I use HDD for storage but SSD for OS, programs and so forth
  • SystemicProgress
    76 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    trip1ex wrote: »

I am ok with your opinion. This was just a quick feedback on what I experienced after installing an SSD Samsung EVO 850.

If you are still convinced that an SSD doesn't affect performance at all, then read this:

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7911/upgrade-test-gtx-760-vs-1060-ssd-hdd-system/index3.html

It is a performance benchmark of BF1 (SSD vs HDD).

• ECH0_MIRAGE
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Simple answer, no not really.

Thread should have ended here. This is the answer.
  • BigF33t_13
    6573 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited March 2018
    Kajjal wrote: »
    As above any stuttering related to disk access will be much improved with an ssd. It is not a substitute for cpu, Gpu and ram.

Not substantially, since even the fastest NVMe drives are significantly slower than ram.
  • enek0id
    263 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018

I am ok with your opinion. This was just a quick feedback on what I experienced after installing an SSD Samsung EVO 850.

If you are still convinced that an SSD doesn't affect performance at all, then read this:

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7911/upgrade-test-gtx-760-vs-1060-ssd-hdd-system/index3.html

How could it affect framerate, even with 8 GB of RAM? They did not explain it in the conclusions.
    However they also get this, which doesn't make sense: 3DMark Fire Strike - 11.8% slower on SSD
    I would say that the screwed up something and the tests results are not very reliable...
  • trip1ex
    4216 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    edited March 2018

link is bs. a game like bf1 multiplayer just not hitting the hard drive during a round of Conquest. that's why an ssd won't and can't improve fps.

• Violent_Rumble
    300 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member

Why? This is a discussion forum not yahoo answers.
    They don't lock threads with accepted solutions on answers.ea so why lock here? People may still want to add to the solution or ask further questions.
    eg. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/ISSUE-Stats-reset-Rank-0/m-p/5761581#M8621
  • EA_Alexander
    523 postsMember, Administrator, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, EA Community Manager, Battlefield V
    Your SSD won't directly affect FPS, unless it's a huge open world game, where game assets are pulled from you hard drive during gameplay.

Battlefield 1 loading times are quite substantial and you may get some quality of life improvements when installing it on an SSD.
  • Ylanden
    14 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    SSD helps you to download the map faster.
  • ECH0_MIRAGE
    55 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member

Why?

Why? Because the question was asked and answered, and that's the right answer.

HDD/SSD won't affect your frame rate. It's really that simple. Other "thoughts and opinions" are either wrong or off the topic of the thread.
  • BACKYARDBULLY38
    259 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    Hi,

I notice no difference in game play, my games DO load faster with SSD but that's all I notice.
  • AgentNewb
    164 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Thank you all for your answers. I've made my decision in not buying a SSD right now and invest in a GSYNC monitor. I tought SSD can improve performance because of the faster loading times of GPU shaders that are loaded from HDD/SSD.