SSD vs HDD

2»

Comments

• LOLGotYerTags
    12089 postsMember, Moderator, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Moderator
    GGAMA92 wrote: »
    I tought SSD can improve performance because of the faster loading times of GPU shaders that are loaded from HDD/SSD.

Yeah that's not a thing in BF, Everything is loaded in the initial loading stage of the next map.

With games like Arma, Or games that have procedurally generated maps it'd be better to go with an SSD over a HDD.

But with BF1 an SSD just gives you an extra few seconds to get into the match before the round starts, whereas a relatively slower mechanical HDD will load you in when players are already making their way to the first flag.

• Kafir8astard
    8 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    Yes big difference i finding myself buying ssd in order to play normally but keep in mind the game is far from finished and even ppl whit high end pcs have problems
  • BigF33t_13
    6601 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha Member
    Yes big difference i finding myself buying ssd in order to play normally but keep in mind the game is far from finished and even ppl whit high end pcs have problems

This is a pretty old thread. I have no issues playing on a spinner. It does take longer to load maps initially, but not enough to affect the game.
  • EdwinSpangler
    1762 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    BigF33t_13 wrote: »

This is a pretty old thread. I have no issues playing on a spinner. It does take longer to load maps initially, but not enough to affect the game.

I have tried different HDDs for this game and have found that if you use an HDD with a speed less than 7200rpm, you may never load into a game..

Try to follow this:

PC1 joined a server with 63/64 on the counter.

PC2 joined same server seconds later with 8 person queue.

PC1 has 5400rpm HDD, PC2 has SSD.. PC2 got in first.. Both had premium priority..

This was repeated several times until I switched the HDD to a 10k then tested a 7200 both of which did not have this issue..

Idk, the more you know I guess..

• xHonest_Abe
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I am surprised we haven't covered the M.2 SSD. That would be an additional 2 more pages on this thread. :D
  • EdwinSpangler
    1762 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    I am surprised we haven't covered the M.2 SSD. That would be an additional 2 more pages on this thread. :D

Dont know enough about it yet.. Other than its quite a bit faster.. Got two of em and havnt even read into them yet.. Just put all my games on tehm.
  • xHonest_Abe
    82 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    I have had one M.2 WD Black in a recent build. They are a little bit faster during gaming but not a whole lot noticeable compared to a regular SSD vs HDD. Heat is an issue with the M.2 and throttling down. Many motherboards place the primary M.2 holder next to or under the graphics card. Not so good. On my recent build, the Asus ROG Strike motherboard has two holders. The second holder is away from the card and has a massive heat sink and totally compatible. (some MB have it away from the card but the connection is not truly PCIE 3.0 x4 mode). It stays around 40C during intense gaming. No throttling and very fast.