Do you have High DPC Latency & Stutter In BF1? Do you also use a PCI-E Riser Cable? Read Below.

SneakyGunman
384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
I've been very curious as to what is causing so many people to have stutter in BF1. Not only in BF1 but in other games. I've found, although not talked about much, that if you are using a PCI-E Riser Cable that is slightly defective it can cause stuttering. There is still a debate about whither or not PCI-E Riser Cable should be shielded or not. IMO, yes it should and be from a reputable organization showing that it works as intended. When using a Riser Cable for your video card. If your benchmark scores in 3DMark, for example, is more then 300+ points lower it is a sign, at least for me, not to use that Riser Card.
---
Yes, there is some difference in performance depending on length, quality, etc. But when frame rates are noticeably lower and benchmark scores are consistently lower something isn't right. Even though you expect a slightly lower score. This is without having to experience stuttering.
--
Now I want to introduce to you some videos. The 1st will show a moderate + level of problems with the PCI-E Riser Cable from Thermaltake. He also warns about the quality of their PCI-E Riser Cable as well. So you have a PC Case from them with the PCI-E Riser Cable. I suggest you take a look at the video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/525mz0/display_and_stuttering_issues_pcie_riser_cable/
Stuttering as a results of PCI=E Riser Cable from same company mentioned earlier.
----
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=275907.0
Stuttering as a results of PCI=E Riser Cable
----
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/941579/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-high-dpc-latency-and-stuttering/post/4960135/#4960135
Stutter from PCI-E Riser Cable from same company mentioned earlier.
----
http://community.thermaltake.com/index.php?/topic/43213-attn-users-with-thermaltake-riser-cables/
Warranty Replacement from Riser Cable through said company (if you have one from them). Over 67K views!!
----
----
----
----
----

Read Comments
----

Read comments

Comments

• bass-junkie-xl
    546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    leans over grabs bic lighter lights a smoke .

yes i use one the new revisoned thermal take riser card i have a thermaltake view 71 glass case and veeticaly mounted water cooled 1080ti . recently i get cpu spikes yellow not green in perfoverlay . i checked gpu z and ( some times ) 2 out of 6 pc reboots when i check gpuz it says 1080ti @ pci x 16 3.0 @ pcix x8 stress tests make it run @ pcix 8 x 3.0 .

reboot go in to bios ( asus z 370 hero ) check gpu dim post says no gpu instaled werid .

windows loads fine asus 27 monitor displays video theew the bios fine to .

get in windows chek gpuz says 1080ti @ pcix x16 3.0 @ pcix x16 3.0 ok its fine now .

reboot pc 2 or 3 more times then it goes back to 8 x

other games are fine bf4 gets small yellow spikes once ina blue moon some times .

nvidia drivers never crash on me and the 1080ti @ 42c 100 % load all day long oc @ 2023 mhz core .

what i have done

-un pluged the riser out of the mobo pcix 16 slot plug back in same thing 2 out of 7 reboots gives me pcix 8x vs 16 - no weird issues screen works no nvidia errros

- havent tried taking the riser out and pluging the 1080ti in the ugly way in to the mobo as i have a big water block and my tubing hosses arecut to length so i would haveto drain my loop and screw around for 2 hrs to plug gpu back in mobo normalway .

- it could be the mobo but doubt it as the card works fine and can do 24 hrs of 100 % load @ 2024 mhz core no artifacts .

ps : nvidia gives high dpc latency werther or not riser card or normal cause when u watch nvidia clocks go from 240 mhz odol to 1530 mhz watching a video dpc spikes up to 1500 us some times less .

nvidia 700 series wasnt near as bad as 10 series cards for dpc latency u can read about it @ geforce forums

anways tommorow at coffee time i wlll try taking the riser out and plug 1080ti in normal ugly way with a new display port cable ( just in case ) and report back .

before i take riser out i will run 3d mark , user benchmark , metroo 2033 redux benchmark out of 3 runs and re test after i take the riser out report back .

my riser is the "revisoned one " thermaltake riser 200mm from new egg.ca

• SneakyGunman
    384 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    PCI-E Riser Cable was someone invention a few years back.
    It was a "set it and forget it" concept. Couldn't go moving the card around or you would "damage the then copper claded cable" found within.
    Back then there was no such thing as "shielded" and find the term "shielded" loosely fitted to what "shielded" is today. But if things like usb, etc don't work right. You have electrical leakage from the actual connector itself creating interference with the motherboard <--very bad.
    ----
    I would have thought by now, since it was picked up by certain companies we would be see a much more robust version of this PCI-E Riser Cable. Yet to this day we haven't. It's still the same concept design.
    However, 3M makes the most functioning version of them all out there. But they are expensive. And now that the "gig is up" they are harder to find in that old variant design.
    ----

• bass-junkie-xl
    546 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    thermaltakes revision fixed the issue the one i bought was june of 2017 . so far today everything is fine . i bought the same riser cable just bran new and will test it on tuesday .

if the new riser cable ( same one ) still makes my 1080ti drop fom pci x 16 @ 16 x 3.0 after reboot to the same issue droping down to pci x 16 @ 8x 3.0 then i know its not the riser cable and ether is the mobo slot , bios setting the card to 8 x 3.0 or 16 x 3.0 randomly after reboots ( it changes randomly and stil lstays to x8 3.0 on load ) then reboot pc then its back to 16 very weird ....

i reflashed my asus x hero z370 to a older bios it does the same thing so its not bios related .

thing is all game run fine and to be ohnest 8 x 3.0 vs 16 3.0 on sli 1080ti is like maybee 2 - 4 fps at the very most . its still bugging me though .

all other gamea are god no crashes no artifacts no issues in event viewer no monitor diconects .

bf1 spikes weather people like it or not when feeding 165 hz @ 165 fps ( 60 fps lock spikes 95 % less ) .
  • SneakyGunman
    Personally, those riser cards (as we use to call them) was just a fad. And they are more headache then actual benefit. From what I've learned they have a short life cycle no matter what brand you get.
    ---
    I understand you purchased a PC case that is exclusively intended to make use of it but IMO I would ditch it all together.
  • bass-junkie-xl
    so i ran 3d mark fire strike defult pre set ( 720 p ) scored 2134 points higher then all the gtx 1080ti reviews i read example , guru 3d oc3d ect
    alsi in 1080p high and 1440p extreme and scored over 1876 points higher then all 1080ti reviews i read on the card .

card was in pci x 16 @ 3 x 8.0 for tests no issues

ran metro 2033 last light redux benchmark 1080p , 1440p , 4k beat all scores on the review sites
    ran 3d mark 06

ran user benchmark and all my parts scored 150 + % better on all tests .

nothign is wrong with the riser card just card is kicking out of 16 x down to 8 x 3.0 some times .

other game run fine .

this game stutters no matter what u have and im done with it lol . i shut the graph off and i play bf4 and escape from tarkov alot more now .

i have new riser card coming tommorw to see if it makes card go to pci x 16 x 3.0 vs 16 x @ 8 x 3.0 ( now ) .

paschindale stutters like a 1 gb video card this game is pushed to its limits frame times suck . i still ove the game the last 3 patches wrecked optomization imo yes fps is 165 yes no servuices yes evrything is fine its the game .
  • SneakyGunman
    edited March 2018
    so i ran 3d mark fire strike defult pre set ( 720 p ) scored 2134 points higher then all the gtx 1080ti reviews i read example , guru 3d oc3d ect
    alsi in 1080p high and 1440p extreme and scored over 1876 points higher then all 1080ti reviews i read on the card .

ran metro 2033 last light redux benchmark 1080p , 1440p , 4k beat all scores on the review sites
    ran 3d mark 06

nothign is wrong with the riser card just card is kicking out of 16 x down to 8 x 3.0 some times .

other game run fine .

this game stutters no matter what u have and im done with it lol . i shut the graph off and i play bf4 and escape from tarkov alot more now .

i have new riser card coming tommorw to see if it makes card go to pci x 16 x 3.0 vs 16 x @ 8 x 3.0 ( now ) .

paschindale stutters like a 1 gb video card this game is pushed to its limits frame times suck . i still ove the game the last 3 patches wrecked optomization imo yes fps is 165 yes no servuices yes evrything is fine its the game .

Any particular reason why you wouldn't remove the riser cable once you realized you were having a pci x16/x8 issue on boot up?
    Usually that's the first thing someone would do to make sure their card and motherboard is working correctly.
    Since you upgraded that would be something eliminate as you would/should still be under warranty. Perhaps store warranty for exchange/return.
    In any case post back once you get your new riser cable.
    Also, what made you OC your ram? DId you up the voltage past 1.35V?

• bass-junkie-xl

ran 3d mark 06

other game run fine .

Any particular reason why you wouldn't remove the riser cable once you realized you were having a pci x16/x8 issue on boot up?
    Usually that's the first thing someone would do to make sure their card and motherboard is working correctly.
    Since you upgraded that would be something eliminate as you would/should still be under warranty. Perhaps store warranty for exchange/return.

*update * replaced my pci x 16 3.0 thermal take riser card today with the same one just bran new .

the pc when booting up in to bios asus gpu post in bios shows a picture of my pci x slots with the 1080ti in slot 1 @ pci x 16 3.0 now ( it didnt before with old riser )

went to advanced tab under pcix settings and board says nvidia 1080ti running @ 16 x 3.0 ( it said 8x before with old riser ) note : doesnt matter if i set pci x gen 3 or not on old riser

ok sweet now thats fixed rebooted pc 15 times to see if it would kick back to pci x 16 @ 8 x 3.0 like it was before and nope always 16 x 3.0 now .

note : the old riser card ran fine 3d mark 06 , new 3d mark , games benchmarks , alt tabing , and over clocking to 2040 mhz core on the 1080ti on the old riser
    produced 0 problems all my benchmarks scores comparing with guru 3d , over clock .net of the same card and same benchmarks i scored over 2134 points more then they did on this old riser card .

and yes battle field 1 still stutters and has cpu spikes with new riser card lmao ( not that i thought a new riser card would make cpu spikes go away anyways rofl )

your question about my ram yes i over clocked it

- and yes i ran it @ stock xmp 3000 and defult 2133 in games and mem test 86 before even over clocking it ) same spikes ( duh its the engine )

the kit i have is the g.skill RGB 16gb 2x8 gb stick of xmp 3000 mhz timings 14-14-14-34 1.35v @ manual 4000 mhz 1.4 v timings 18-19-19-39 system agent @1.2v vccio @ 1.21v ran mem test for 24 hrs , hci mem test for 2000 % coverage , prime blend all passed no errors got a nice boost in minimum fps in games and some other games run smoother.

the g.skill are Samsung bdie best for over clocking hynix based ram are not good for over clocking .

most g.skill 3000 cl 14 , 3200 cl 14 , 3200 cl15 ,3466,15 ,3600 cl 15 and 3600 cl16 are Samsung bdie they over clock stupid high and or super tight timings if you got a good board .

i got the asus x hero z370 as it can do upwards of 4400 mhz ram speed i got up to 4266 but had loose timings and aidia 64 memory benchmark gave me higher #s @ 4000 cl 18 vs 4266 cl 19 @ 1.45v .
  • SneakyGunman
    edited March 2018

ran 3d mark 06

other game run fine .

*update * replaced my pci x 16 3.0 thermal take riser card today with the same one just bran new .

the pc when booting up in to bios asus gpu post in bios shows a picture of my pci x slots with the 1080ti in slot 1 @ pci x 16 3.0 now ( it didnt before with old riser )

went to advanced tab under pcix settings and board says nvidia 1080ti running @ 16 x 3.0 ( it said 8x before with old riser ) note : doesnt matter if i set pci x gen 3 or not on old riser

ok sweet now thats fixed rebooted pc 15 times to see if it would kick back to pci x 16 @ 8 x 3.0 like it was before and nope always 16 x 3.0 now .

note : the old riser card ran fine 3d mark 06 , new 3d mark , games benchmarks , alt tabing , and over clocking to 2040 mhz core on the 1080ti on the old riser
    produced 0 problems all my benchmarks scores comparing with guru 3d , over clock .net of the same card and same benchmarks i scored over 2134 points more then they did on this old riser card .

and yes battle field 1 still stutters and has cpu spikes with new riser card lmao ( not that i thought a new riser card would make cpu spikes go away anyways rofl )

- and yes i ran it @ stock xmp 3000 and defult 2133 in games and mem test 86 before even over clocking it ) same spikes ( duh its the engine )

the kit i have is the g.skill RGB 16gb 2x8 gb stick of xmp 3000 mhz timings 14-14-14-34 1.35v @ manual 4000 mhz 1.4 v timings 18-19-19-39 system agent @1.2v vccio @ 1.21v ran mem test for 24 hrs , hci mem test for 2000 % coverage , prime blend all passed no errors got a nice boost in minimum fps in games and some other games run smoother.

the g.skill are Samsung bdie best for over clocking hynix based ram are not good for over clocking .

most g.skill 3000 cl 14 , 3200 cl 14 , 3200 cl15 ,3466,15 ,3600 cl 15 and 3600 cl16 are Samsung bdie they over clock stupid high and or super tight timings if you got a good board .

i got the asus x hero z370 as it can do upwards of 4400 mhz ram speed i got up to 4266 but had loose timings and aidia 64 memory benchmark gave me higher #s @ 4000 cl 18 vs 4266 cl 19 @ 1.45v .
    ---
    You are still dogging my question, "Why haven't you tested your video card without the riser cable?" You need a base value to know how well the new riser cable is working for you.

---
    I wanted you to see that even though you still could 'boot up' your PC and 'play games' doesn't mean that your PC is as stable as it is intended to be. In your case your riser cable prevented you from having PCI x16 @ 3.0. You see, a PC is still dynamic enough to compensate for issues arising from or in relation to EMI/RFI, slightly faulty components, etc to a certain degree. Which can and will dynamically effect the true performance of the PC until it's corrected or the problem overcomes the PC and it fails.
    --
    This is where I see you fit in with your setup (including some of the tweaks you mentioned such as PCI Riser Cable, OC Ram, HPET tweaks, etc). The issues you are experiencing wasn't enough to prevent you from from booting the PC nor prevent you from playing BF1. However it was enough to negatively effect the true performance of your higher end PC. I believe that you didn't believe such a thing existed. So I created this thread to show you.
    ---
    Now, I've read your replies and even though you do get defensive about your PC I still wanted to offer you some help in fixing at least 1 of your problems. If you didn't notice already this thread is for you. Your Welcome :). It wasn't a coincidence. And by it's history (at the time of my post) no one else has come in claiming the same exact problem as you. Although it would apply to them if they ventured here with a similar setup.
    ---
    You should continue to trouble shoot whatever existing issues you have that is preventing you from playing BF1. This is what PC Enthusiast do. I certainly didn't see you as otherwise with all the work you put into creating your PC Setup. There is a level of passion for it.
    ---
    So far the only real issue are the spikes you are mentioned. Although, to me, it doesn't mean anything unless it actually effects game play. Perhaps a combination of:
    -Returning to Win10 1709 at it's default settings
    -Place the ram to it's original speed rating (using XMP profile)
    -Along with the latest chipset and gpu drivers
    -And try a 60Hz monitor The amount of tweaking you need to use a 165Hz monitor is intriguing.
    -Reverting any other tweaks may actually fix that issue
    ---
    To add prospective I, as well as others, are not having the same issue as you. And some that actually do have problems with BF1 actually have a much lower spec'd PC then you. But, at the same time there are those that don't have your problems but still have a much lower spec'd PC then you. Check out the link below.
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/138489/proof-zero-cpu-spikes-in-bf1-is-possible/p1
    ---
    I am not going to say that BF1 doesn't have issues. However, what online game doesn't? And what online FPS game out there that doesn't offering 64 player servers? Most that do offer far less per map then BF1 on the PC.
    ---
    I think it's important that you realize that by pointing the finger at BF1 you have 3 more point at your higher end system showing others it's not worth the cost of admission. This bothers me because I know having a 'top shelf' PC setup with win10 latest addition offers vastly superior performance vs a low console. However, by your testimony, you inadvertently set a precedent that even with a high end PC setup a console is the better option as there are "less" issues. Which a flat out lie.
    ---
    This response to you is not intended to challenge your ability to build a PC. However, I do want you to realize that
    -other are not having the issues you are having
    -you do have problems with your setup that are easily corrected
    -I have taken interest in seeing that you get the best possible enjoyment in BF1 by offer you some help. I do like your setup BTW.
    ---
    I do hope to read one day that you've overcome your problem. Good News is always a welcome.
    Enjoy! :)
  • NamelessForNow
    1471 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    No noticeable difference in fps whether I'm connected directly to the motherboard or using a riser cable. I use afterburner to monitor fps, ect and also use gpuz. I use the same cable as bass-junkie-xl. My other components are:

I7 6900k @4.3 liquid
    Evga 1080ti ftw3 hybrid
    Strix gaming x99 motherboard
    G-skill 16g 4x4 3200 @2666
    Win 10 1709 latest build
  • bass-junkie-xl

ran 3d mark 06

other game run fine .

---
    You are still dogging my question, "Why haven't you tested your video card without the riser cable?" You need a base value to know how well the new riser cable is working for you.

---
    I wanted you to see that even though you still could 'boot up' your PC and 'play games' doesn't mean that your PC is as stable as it is intended to be. In your case your riser cable prevented you from having PCI x16 @ 3.0. You see, a PC is still dynamic enough to compensate for issues arising from or in relation to EMI/RFI, slightly faulty components, etc to a certain degree. Which can and will dynamically effect the true performance of the PC until it's corrected or the problem overcomes the PC and it fails.
    --
    This is where I see you fit in with your setup (including some of the tweaks you mentioned such as PCI Riser Cable, OC Ram, HPET tweaks, etc). The issues you are experiencing wasn't enough to prevent you from from booting the PC nor prevent you from playing BF1. However it was enough to negatively effect the true performance of your higher end PC. I believe that you didn't believe such a thing existed. So I created this thread to show you.
    ---
    Now, I've read your replies and even though you do get defensive about your PC I still wanted to offer you some help in fixing at least 1 of your problems. If you didn't notice already this thread is for you. Your Welcome :). It wasn't a coincidence. And by it's history (at the time of my post) no one else has come in claiming the same exact problem as you. Although it would apply to them if they ventured here with a similar setup.
    ---
    You should continue to trouble shoot whatever existing issues you have that is preventing you from playing BF1. This is what PC Enthusiast do. I certainly didn't see you as otherwise with all the work you put into creating your PC Setup. There is a level of passion for it.
    ---
    So far the only real issue are the spikes you are mentioned. Although, to me, it doesn't mean anything unless it actually effects game play. Perhaps a combination of:
    -And try a 60Hz monitor The amount of tweaking you need to use a 165Hz monitor is intriguing.
    ---
    To add prospective I, as well as others, are not having the same issue as you. And some that actually do have problems with BF1 actually have a much lower spec'd PC then you. But, at the same time there are those that don't have your problems but still have a much lower spec'd PC then you. Check out the link below.
    https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/138489/proof-zero-cpu-spikes-in-bf1-is-possible/p1
    ---
    I am not going to say that BF1 doesn't have issues. However, what online game doesn't? And what online FPS game out there that doesn't offering 64 player servers? Most that do offer far less per map then BF1 on the PC.
    ---
    I think it's important that you realize that by pointing the finger at BF1 you have 3 more point at your higher end system showing others it's not worth the cost of admission. This bothers me because I know having a 'top shelf' PC setup with win10 latest addition offers vastly superior performance vs a low console. However, by your testimony, you inadvertently set a precedent that even with a high end PC setup a console is the better option as there are "less" issues. Which a flat out lie.
    ---
    This response to you is not intended to challenge your ability to build a PC. However, I do want you to realize that
    -I have taken interest in seeing that you get the best possible enjoyment in BF1 by offer you some help. I do like your setup BTW.
    ---
    I do hope to read one day that you've overcome your problem. Good News is always a welcome.

i tried the the 1080ti with out the riser same thing i dont any issues with pc or other games just bf1 spikes simple as that .i have 29 games and they are fine

i have been tweakign to see if its my pc thats causing the spikes and its not read the other 19,876 posts on battle field forums about battle field cpu spikes ans stutter .

i have went back to windows and tried with new drivers and old drivers on these

-windows 7 x 64
    -windows 8.1 x 64 ( currently instaled )
    -windows 10 1511
    -windows 1607 (ranfor 12 months its smoother then 1709 )
    -winddows 1704 ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ trash )
    -windows 1709 ( the werstof them all )

yes i have tried evrything known to man like i said dude other games are fine battle field 1 spikes .

-fresh instals in ueif mode
    -all other hdds un pluged
    -diffrent m.2 pci x ssds , normal ssds , hdds
    - 1 stick of ram , 2 stick of ram , 4 sticks of ram , diffrent ram
    - new psus , older psus
    - - diffrent mouse , diffren key baord , nothign else pluged in
    - - real tec audio off in bios
    - amd video cards
    - diffrent display pot cables
    - used a 980ti totest
    - older and ndew nvidia drivers with and with out nvidia audio , and with and with out geforce experince
    - disabling high presion event timmer in bios and in windows and combos
    - un parked cores and dubble checked
    - z 170 , z 270 , z 370 mother boards
    - 60 , 120 , 144, 165 , 240 hz monitors
    - 4790k , 6700k , 7700k , 8700k
    -hyper threading off and on
    -defult bios
    - over clocked and non over clocked
    - no head sets , with head sets pluged in ,
    - audio sample rates to 16 , bit , 24 bit 44khz , 48 khz
    - older realtec drivers new realtec drivers
    - turbo boost on and off
    - newer bios , older bios
    - fresh instals with ZERO updates
    - instals with intel spector updates on and off and combos
    - gsync on and off , fps lock to 162 fps yes isaid 162 fps as if u pass 165 fps gsync kicks out and norma lvsync kicks in thats the way its meant to work right
    - gysnc on + normal vsync on + 3 fps cap less then refresh rate with riva tuner .
    - can confirm gysnc works on my asus pg279q nno issues there
    - no pci x riser card , new riser card solved my pci x 8.0 x 3 issue and is working fine
    - with and with out riser card
    - with my new phantecks gtx 1080t iwater block on and off
    - delied cpu with liquid metal and confirmed its fine and working in all benchmarks - dropped 23c less temps
    - tried a asus z370 strix board vs my x hero i have now
    -super fetch , pre fetch , windows search off and on
    -made sure nvidia control panel is set to 165 hz and windows is set to 165 hz and games are set to 165 hz
    -high power plans in windows and nvidia
    -tried bios c states and intel turbo boost and intel speed step to all of and on .
    -old and newer nvidia
    -msi after burner and riva tuner on and off and uninstaled

no other games or apps have issue its bf1 i have videos of benchamrks of bf1 last april - september before these dlcs and patches and it spiked but not nearly as bad as we are here today videos to prove it and graphs .

currently on windows 8.1 x 64 and evrything is alot better then windows 10 frame times and over all smoothness no tweaks done to this os excpet for
    -cores un parked
    -all intel spector updates
    -all chip set , audio , lan , gpu drivers are all good and no issues in device manager

scoring higher in benchmarks in 8.1 vs windows 10 .

played battle field 4 64 player on a cpu intensive maps @ 165 fps @ 165 hz 1440p ultra + 4 x msaa + mfaa smooth no issues with perfoverlay open
    played fallout 4 , stalker cop , escape from tarkov , far cry 4 , metro 2033 last light @ 5k resultion to get the card warm and didnt go abouve 43 c full tilt @ 2050 mhz cores

when i play games i have hard ware monitor open and msiafter burner on watching temps ect and always have a frame time graph on showing spikes so i know if other games are spiking and they are not .

- yes i have ran games and bf1 with msi off and uninstaled and no monitors open .
    -
    bf1 has went down hill in terms of performace and frame times / cpu spikes the last 6 months no im not the only one with the spikes look in the forums here and else where on how many posts there is with * 8700k , 7700k with 1080s and 1080tis with 50 fps ..... 100s of posts

i dont have fps drops im always 140 + in 1440p im aying is the frame time spikes siting @ 162 fps 6.1 ms then poof a spike makes it go up to 8 or 9 ms for 1/4 a second aka cpu spike

8700k @ 5 ghz on 12 threads water cooled under a 360m mrad + 4000 mhz cl -18 ram and + 1080ti water cooled @ 43 c and under on a 360mm rad shouldnt get spikes lol

i have tried locking fps to 60 for gigles and its a little better but they still spike , no fps lock as well makes it werse as my cpu has to out put upwords of 170 fps on my 1080ti and spikes are more pronounced .

if the game engine wants to max out a cpu and you dont have enough cpu breathing room you drop fps and get stutters . my friend has a 10 core 20 thread sky lake x and he even gets cpu spikes .

now evrythig is working fine and gsync is working good on windows 8.1 so im a stay on 8.1 untill the nvidia forums of all games stuttering people start reporting windows 10 1709 and the new spring patch fixes it or im not updateing im staying on windows 8.1

ps here is picture of the beast with the new 1080ti water block

thumbnail_20180321_180305.jpg
    thumbnail_20180321_180317.jpg

• SneakyGunman
    Also, what made you OC your ram? Did you up the voltage past 1.35V?

---

---
    --
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---

i tried the the 1080ti with out the riser same thing i dont any issues with pc or other games just bf1 spikes simple as that .i have 29 games and they are fine

i have been tweakign to see if its my pc thats causing the spikes and its not read the other 19,876 posts on battle field forums about battle field cpu spikes ans stutter .

i have went back to windows and tried with new drivers and old drivers on these

-windows 7 x 64
    -windows 8.1 x 64 ( currently instaled )
    -windows 10 1511
    -windows 1607 (ranfor 12 months its smoother then 1709 )
    -winddows 1704 ( **** trash )
    -windows 1709 ( the werstof them all )

yes i have tried evrything known to man like i said dude other games are fine battle field 1 spikes .

-fresh instals in ueif mode
    -all other hdds un pluged
    -diffrent m.2 pci x ssds , normal ssds , hdds
    - 1 stick of ram , 2 stick of ram , 4 sticks of ram , diffrent ram
    - new psus , older psus
    - - diffrent mouse , diffren key baord , nothign else pluged in
    - - real tec audio off in bios
    - amd video cards
    - diffrent display pot cables
    - used a 980ti totest
    - older and ndew nvidia drivers with and with out nvidia audio , and with and with out geforce experince
    - disabling high presion event timmer in bios and in windows and combos
    - un parked cores and dubble checked
    - z 170 , z 270 , z 370 mother boards
    - 60 , 120 , 144, 165 , 240 hz monitors
    - 4790k , 6700k , 7700k , 8700k
    -hyper threading off and on
    -defult bios
    - over clocked and non over clocked
    - no head sets , with head sets pluged in ,
    - audio sample rates to 16 , bit , 24 bit 44khz , 48 khz
    - older realtec drivers new realtec drivers
    - turbo boost on and off
    - newer bios , older bios
    - fresh instals with ZERO updates
    - instals with intel spector updates on and off and combos
    - gsync on and off , fps lock to 162 fps yes isaid 162 fps as if u pass 165 fps gsync kicks out and norma lvsync kicks in thats the way its meant to work right
    - gysnc on + normal vsync on + 3 fps cap less then refresh rate with riva tuner .
    - can confirm gysnc works on my asus pg279q nno issues there
    - no pci x riser card , new riser card solved my pci x 8.0 x 3 issue and is working fine
    - with and with out riser card
    - with my new phantecks gtx 1080t iwater block on and off
    - delied cpu with liquid metal and confirmed its fine and working in all benchmarks - dropped 23c less temps
    - tried a asus z370 strix board vs my x hero i have now
    -super fetch , pre fetch , windows search off and on
    -made sure nvidia control panel is set to 165 hz and windows is set to 165 hz and games are set to 165 hz
    -high power plans in windows and nvidia
    -tried bios c states and intel turbo boost and intel speed step to all of and on .
    -old and newer nvidia
    -msi after burner and riva tuner on and off and uninstaled

no other games or apps have issue its bf1 i have videos of benchamrks of bf1 last april - september before these dlcs and patches and it spiked but not nearly as bad as we are here today videos to prove it and graphs .

currently on windows 8.1 x 64 and evrything is alot better then windows 10 frame times and over all smoothness no tweaks done to this os excpet for
    -cores un parked
    -all intel spector updates
    -all chip set , audio , lan , gpu drivers are all good and no issues in device manager

scoring higher in benchmarks in 8.1 vs windows 10 .

played battle field 4 64 player on a cpu intensive maps @ 165 fps @ 165 hz 1440p ultra + 4 x msaa + mfaa smooth no issues with perfoverlay open
    played fallout 4 , stalker cop , escape from tarkov , far cry 4 , metro 2033 last light @ 5k resolution to get the card warm and didn't go above 43 c full tilt @ 2050 MHz cores

when i play games i have hard ware monitor open and msiafter burner on watching temps ect and always have a frame time graph on showing spikes so i know if other games are spiking and they are not .

- yes i have ran games and bf1 with msi off and uninstalled and no monitors open .
    -
    bf1 has went down hill in terms of performance and frame times / cpu spikes the last 6 months no im not the only one with the spikes look in the forums here and else where on how many posts there is with * 8700k , 7700k with 1080s and 1080tis with 50 fps ..... 100s of posts

i don't have fps drops im always 140 + in 1440p im saying is the frame time spikes siting @ 162 fps 6.1 ms then poof a spike makes it go up to 8 or 9 ms for 1/4 a second aka cpu spike

8700k @ 5 ghz on 12 threads water cooled under a 360m rad + 4000 mhz cl -18 ram and + 1080ti water cooled @ 43 c and under on a 360mm rad shouldn't get spikes lol

i have tried locking fps to 60 for giggles and its a little better but they still spike , no fps lock as well makes it werse as my cpu has to out put upwords of 170 fps on my 1080ti and spikes are more pronounced .

if the game engine wants to max out a cpu and you don't have enough cpu breathing room you drop fps and get stutters . my friend has a 10 core 20 thread sky lake x and he even gets cpu spikes .

now everything is working fine and gsync is working good on windows 8.1 so im a stay on 8.1 until the nvidia forums of all games stuttering people start reporting windows 10 1709 and the new spring patch fixes it or im not updating im staying on windows 8.1

ps here is picture of the beast with the new 1080ti water block

thumbnail_20180321_180305.jpg
    thumbnail_20180321_180317.jpg

I see that your are WC the video card. Which can create extra work for you to get it moved to the PCIe slot. It was mentioned before by another user and I do agree with it. Regardless of what other game you play Battlefield is a bit more PC demanding then the other games you mentioned. Therefore, I would not put those games on the same tier as BF if you are looking for stability from your PC. If anything all signs point to BF1 being the only game not stable for you. That should give you the hint that BF1 requires more from your PC then other games.
    ---
    No, I am not talking about just brute force core count and high frequency range (5.0GHz vs 4.6GHz). Features like AVX2, SSSE-4.2, ADX, SST, etc that a developer uses can have an impact on OC stability if used heavily in the code of the game. Some games may incorporate them but with light use and others like BF can use those CPU features exclusively. Which creates a greater CPU strain when OC'd then just using (brute force) "moar cores" and taking advantage of "higher frequencies". There is more you can do to optimize a game other then just "brute force" methods that developers do incorporate in their games but I digress.
    ---
    That's why using BF as an OC benchmark is the Gold Standard of stability IMO. Because it taxes aspects of the CPU that other CPU Stress test apps do not touch.
    ---
    If you are still having hiccups of any kind in BF1 I suggest you back down your OC from (I believe you mentioned 5.0GHz) to around 4.6GHz to see if the spiking disappears. Again, it's not the OC that's the problem alone. It very well might be the features found within the CPU being utilized "heavily" at 5.0GHz that could be causing the hiccups. Again, PC's are robust. They can still work even though it's not fully 100% stable.
    ---
    I would find it hard to believe that your frame rates would suffer even if you reduced your CPU Clock Rate to 4.6GHz. Because if you do post that it does then something else about your PC is just not stable. And is compensating at the cost of your actual in game performance.
    ---
    Cheerio

• bass-junkie-xl
    All good bro .
  • RichAC
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    All good bro .

also please man!!!, disable fastboot in bios and in windows. disable all power management savings in bios, disable intel speed step, disable all c-states!!!!. disable sleep and hibernate.

I saw a video of you on youtube, YOU STILL HAVE ALL THIS STUFF ON!!!, and when changing windows power plan to high performance cpu-z was still showing frequency changes of more then 100mhz!!! that shouldn't happen. should be no more then like 5-10mhz for great stability.
  • bass-junkie-xl
    RichAC wrote: »
    All good bro .

also please man!!!, disable fastboot in bios and in windows. disable all power management savings in bios, disable intel speed step, disable all c-states!!!!. disable sleep and hibernate.

I saw a video of you on youtube, YOU STILL HAVE ALL THIS STUFF ON!!!, and when changing windows power plan to high performance cpu-z was still showing frequency changes of more then 100mhz!!! that shouldn't happen. should be no more then like 5-10mhz for great stability.

no all thats off and that was my old buid of 7700k not this set up and no windows was on max performance and speed step was off .

and i know about c states and power settings in game i ran adaptive + c states + blanced same thing other games are fine .
  • RichAC
    507 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    All good bro .

no all thats off and that was my old buid of 7700k not this set up and no windows was on max performance and speed step was off .

and i know about c states and power settings in game i ran adaptive + c states + blanced same thing other games are fine .

First thing you need to do is stop comparing this to other games. They are not in the league of BF1's cpu requirements. This is a 64 player multiplayer with exceptional graphics and destruction.

And you keep claiming how much or a pro overclocker you are. But fact remains you didn't have those things off which any seasoned pro veteran would of done. And you still have issues, when contrary to your belief, most of us gaming in bf1 don't.

What happened to your other board, did you fry it? hehe.
  • bass-junkie-xl
    All good bro .

First thing you need to do is stop comparing this to other games. They are not in the league of BF1's cpu requirements. This is a 64 player multiplayer with exceptional graphics and destruction.

And you keep claiming how much or a pro overclocker you are. But fact remains you didn't have those things off which any seasoned pro veteran would of done. And you still have issues, when contrary to your belief, most of us gaming in bf1 don't.

What happened to your other board, did you fry it? hehe.

the videos i made dint have speed step on for 1 c staes were off

any season over clocker also switches to adaptive mode after finding a stable manual over clock just saying there bud .

did i fry my board heeheheheheheheheheheh haahhahahahah no i didnt i sold it for the new 8700k and z 370 .

i have been over clocking cpus since the p4 days so chill there bro :)

i dont have any problems in game nor do i have problem in battlefield 1 i said my fps is high the issue is the game engine and yellow spikes .

answer me this big guy go run battlefield 1 @ 1440p ultra with post prosess to medium no fps cap on a 8700k @ 5 ghz , ram @ 4000 mhz , 1080ti water cooled and you show me your perf overlay graph if you get spikes larger then 1/4 inch and watch your frame times geta spike from 6.2 ms ( 162 fps ) to 8.1 ms while playing and you tell me its not the engine ok there bud . i see you tube videos of people with 8700ks , sky lake x 20 thread cpus getting frame time spikes and yellow spikes . like i said i have friend who has a 20 thread cpu and his graph looks worse then mine not that mine is bad i was just saying this game frame times and small cpu spikes happen @ 165 fps

before being a troll and thinking you know everything maybee read before assuming others are in the wrong big guy
  • RichAC
    edited March 2018
    deleted.
    Post edited by RichAC on
  • RichAC
    edited March 2018
    for 1 you had c-states on . 2:38 in the video. 2:38 in video.

You say in your own voice "C-states on but they shut off when you put on windows high performance plan anyways" wrong dude.

You will see the difference in your voltages and clock speeds when you put windows high performance plan on, with and without c-states on in bios. I've said this to you numerous times.

And no most seasoned overclockers leave that stuff off, they don't turn it back on lmao. Go ask around on the asus rog forums or hardforum.

So you sold your delidded cpu? ok I believe ya. and You had problems with the 7700k and went to a newer cpu thats probably even less optimized for? You got money to burn and replace parts like the water in your water cooling, so why care about energy saving power management lmao...

I run a 7700k and 1070 everything including post processing on ultra 1440p. Stock clocks and avg 85fps on 64 man conquest. 70-120 depending on situation, capped at 120 on my 144hz 1440p monitor. NO stutters or noticeable performance drops.

As i've told you before, unless you notice performance problems with the graph off, you are chasing ghosts by looking at that graph. Its meaningless otherwise.

On a side not I just used a media creation tool upgrade mistakenly thinking my windows update was borked. Found out later that it was just a bug saying this latest oob update failed even though it installed latest build and MS was aware and fixing. So i Jumped the gun.

But I started getting audio pops again I had previously gotten rid of. Thought it was services that were re-enabled. Turns out it was fastboot which was turned on again in windows. Like sneakygunman previously recommended to you. ALSO TURN OFF FASTBOOT, which you also have on in that video lmao...

And just like c-states you need to turn it off in bios and in windows to be sure it creates no stability issues!

I already just proved you lied about your videos dude. I think you are the troll friend or just so stubborn you're in serious denial. A typical computer guy lol.

• bass-junkie-xl
    ohh that video jebus ya man that was when i first built the ( 7700k + z 270 gigabyte video ) that was after i ran manaul vore _ all c states off found my manual over clock and multyplyer wich was 5 ghz 1.37 v ran prime for 12 hrs and asus real bench for 12 hrs , mem test played some games and wanted to switch to ( adaptive mode ) instead of manual so when im just wathing video on you tube or idoling on desk top my 7700k would drop down from 5.0 ghz 1.37v down to 0.800mhz and 0.8 v and whwn u play game or run a stressful app it ramps to 5 ghz and stays there before iwould go play a game i would switch from balanced to high performance power plan soit doesnt change from 5.0 ghz . running high power plan shuts your c states off in bios .

i made 3 or 4 bf1 mp videos past that video when i wasnt using c staes and 5 ghz 24/ 7 manual vcore same spikes . thats why i said i wasnt using it . sorry was last may / june i made those videos i think .

about over clocking and using adaptive voltege once you have found your stable vcore and multy alot of people use that mode and i check daily in the asus forums and over clock . net and alot of oover clockers use adaptive mode lots of people as you dont need to send 1.38 v 24 / 7 to the cpu when just watching you tube . i ran same setttings with adaptive vs c states off same thing man . also to vene prove adaptive was stable ran prime and asus real bench in adaptive it was over shooting the volts a little bit but thats normal its like auto with a max voltege set with power saving .

well what i should do is record a video of battle field 1 mp , with my normal settings that i normaly use andlet you guys see the graph and decide if its fine or i am just seeing a normal graph . i

i will record some 64 man conquest today with these settings and back ground apps i usually have open when i play

apps i use that are always running in back ground and start with windows bottom right task bar

razer snaps = head set , logictech gaming software = key board and mouse , msi after burner + rtss + on screen display = fan curve , osd , core temp , avast , realteck sound panel

windows services that are disabled currently

superfetch, prefetch , windows search , search indexer , print spooler , x box game mode , one drive

nvidia panel

g-sync = full screen + windowed

gsync = on
    vsync = on
    image quality=high quality
    asus rog =refresh rate highest avalible
    refresh rate = 165hz
    screen res= 2560 x 1440

rtss settings

fps cap = 162 so normal vsync will not kick in even if my card can : u need normal vsync + gsync both on or you wil lget screen tearing @ bottom of screen since the 162 fps cap normal vsync cant kick in but needs it on for gsync to work its been that way for 3 or years more when it forst came out you didnt need normal vsync on and normal vsync doesnt kick in untill you pass your refresh rate + 165 but since i set 162 that will not happen .

bf1 settings

1440p 165 hz
    vsync = off

ultra - minus post prosses to meduim
    blur off

bf1 user.cfg settings

just blur commands to shut it down thats it no other commands .

ill record with those settings and leave the graph on and have msi after burner on screen with the frame time graph .

nah man not being a troll was just persuing to get better frame times in this game , other games no issue and im not comparing games .

i will stream it with geforce experince @ 1080p 60 i dont want to record and upload for 3 days lol

• RichAC
    coudlnt' follow your rambling right now man. was very incoherent. I'm sorry. I'm not even sure what your issue is anymore. Thought it was stuttering now you say you want better frames. 165fps is not good enough for you?

and again. forget the graph! I don't want to see your freaking graph, its meaningless. Play the game and see if you have problems without looking at the graph. You are making yourself mental looking at that dam graph..... it doesn't mean nothing.

Go to perfoverlay.draw graph anonymous counseling...