Where does high ping begin?

misisipiRivrRat
815 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
I follow a few threads where this is argued. Many people say the game is unplayable at 160ms but a guy in a couple of threads has posted video showing him doing very well with 160ms. Then a guy will argue if he isn't getting the message to lead his shots he isn't considered high ping.
Could a mod maybe speak up if you have that info. Thank you.

Comments

• misisipiRivrRat
    815 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    I honestly thought anything over 100ms was less than ideal and your gameplay could suffer a little. But this is not the case?
  • stiII_no_name
    540 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    It's a spectrum, there's no clear cut-off; the higher, the worse. But you should never have >100ms if you're on a server in a region. I know there are some people living in regions that don't have dedicated servers, but they're a minority.
  • Sixclicks
    5073 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    There's not enough servers on PC in the US, so I frequently have to join EU servers. My ping there is usually 100-120 ms. The difference between that and playing on a US server (15-30 ms) isn't too significant in most cases. The biggest thing I notice is getting killed after already getting behind cover more often.

I've never played at a ping higher than that though.
  • Phat_Helmet
    2164 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    For me, anything over about 20.
  • von_Campenstein
    6568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Depends on the playstyle really, if you're up close and spray and move a lot higher pings will help as you're not where they see you as being. If you're not that hyper guy 100 ping can still be beneficial in close situations, much higher not so much, for that as I said you need to be on them and moving at all times.
  • misisipiRivrRat
    In most servers I have seen , players with 200ms and higher connections are not doing well, at least if the scoreboard is any indication.
    But how about the number of high pings in a server. Is there any evidence from anybody? Example : When I was playing regularly it would be around 5-7 am in us east servers. And I see 30 - 40 pings of 125ms and higher i a server. I personally think it plays like crap when there are that many high pings, but I don't have proof. I'm not saying I can't do well against these players , but the whole experience feels off.
  • von_Campenstein
    6568 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    In most servers I have seen , players with 200ms and higher connections are not doing well, at least if the scoreboard is any indication.
    But how about the number of high pings in a server. Is there any evidence from anybody? Example : When I was playing regularly it would be around 5-7 am in us east servers. And I see 30 - 40 pings of 125ms and higher i a server. I personally think it plays like crap when there are that many high pings, but I don't have proof. I'm not saying I can't do well against these players , but the whole experience feels off.

It's a strange thing, many high pingers tend to destablize the whole server making it feel off but I had a game late one night where most but a handful on each team had ludicris pings and oddly enough it seemed stable again, or if I got used to it, I cannot explain what actually happened and it's a pity I didn't get that insight till after the game so I could've pulled up the scores to prove I managed well with insane pings on both sides.

So my take is do away with ping compensation or dump everyones ping artificially to the same level.

• GRIZZ11283
    4839 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE Member
    Subscribed as you're talking about me :)
  • bran1986
    5662 postsMember, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, BF1IncursionsAlpha, Battlefield V Member
    edited March 2018
    Anywhere up to the 130 ping cutoff is fine, I will get killed behind cover more and sometimes I will get the whole "damage all in one lump" thing going on, but for the most part it plays fine up to the cutoff for me.
    Post edited by bran1986 on
  • abc1434286920
    447 postsMember, Battlefield, Battlefield 1, CTE, Battlefield V Member
    bran1986 wrote: »
    Anywhere up to the 130 ping cutoff is fine, I will get killed behind cover more and sometimes I will get the whole "damage all in one slump" thing going on, but for the most part it plays fine up to the cutoff for me.

Exactly where i stand. When i had to play out of region anything above the 130 cut off point was where the experience started deteriorating.
  • Oskool_007
    557 postsMember, Battlefield 3, Battlefield, Battlefield 1 Member
    160 ping or higher is when server-side hitreg kicks in and the game will start feeling laggy. 160 ping and lower you'll have client-side hitreg and won't notice much lag, but there will be a slight delay between firing a shot and the target going down. The lower your ping, the faster the target will drop.